GM 6 Football @ Virginia Tech 4pm Saturday Oct 12

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: GM 6 Football @ Virginia Tech 4pm Saturday Oct 12

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

watching the highlights and it’s amazing how good they can look even against ACC competition. And on both sides of the ball. What is it going to take for this program to put a complete game plan together to win.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... -over-rams

From projo.....
Asked how the loss could help his team going forward, Fleming said, “It’ll depend upon on how many guys got banged up. I mean we lost an offensive lineman with a compound dislocation of his finger, hopefully that’s not a surgical thing. We lost on that targeting hit, our wide receiver [Isaiah Coulter], he’s going to have to go through the concussion protocol, hopefully we can get him back. It’s not like we’ve learned something tremendous about ourselves just because we were able to stay close to Virginia Tech, we’ve known all along we can play.”
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Injuries are gonna happen.
What has been a surprise is the lack of depth on this team at offense skill positions.
If got 2-3 catches or key blocks a game from them who knows where would be?
Regardless of who playing Brown and Merrimack or JMU and VaTech. They do literally nothing.
Having to write off 50 % + of the skill players is tough.
Albany beat Towson and Elon boat raced Delaware yesterday.
Schedule just got a whole lot tougher.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago They played hard today. But Fleming is still gonzo. Thanks for the cash Hokies.
Gonzo?!??!!!! Ummm what?
The biggest improvement under Fleming is that we basically go into every game with a chance to win. (Short of playing Power 5 schools- But even this past weekend, we were a rough pass interference call from having the ball with a chance to take the lead late into the third quarter) We've come a long way were the biggest question isn't how much are we going to lose by. While the goal isn't just to be competitive, it is to win, you have to crawl before you can run.

With that said, the job here is equal to running up hill into a stiff breeze. My question to you is, have you been to any in conference road games? Having gone to URI games at places such as William and Mary, Richmond, Towson, James Madison etc etc, I was blown away at the difference in facilities and game day atmosphere. Coach Fleming has worked hard to advocate for improvements, and while the lights and turf are a great start, he is still fighting that uphill battle. You also have to factor in the budget he is working with as far as assistants. Just go onto the other team's websites, you'll see a major difference in number of football staffers. And the budget causes guys to leave. (And maybe with a bigger budget we could get an analytics guy who can come in and explain the statistical benefit of going for it a bit more on 4th down!)

Look, I could definitely go on with this subject, but I think it's pointless. From the outside looking in, the program is showing clear progress. The guys are improving and competing. The program is improving. It doesn't appear that Coach has taken any shortcuts to get us there.
With that said, I am on the outside looking in. Thorr gets an inside glimpse of what is really happening. And if there is more to it then meets the eye, then of course I would support him making the change. But right now, it would make us look real bad firing someone a year removed from the best season in 2 decades.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Injuries are gonna happen.
What has been a surprise is the lack of depth on this team at offense skill positions.
If got 2-3 catches or key blocks a game from them who knows where would be?
Regardless of who playing Brown and Merrimack or JMU and VaTech. They do literally nothing.
Having to write off 50 % + of the skill players is tough.
Albany beat Towson and Elon boat raced Delaware yesterday.
Schedule just got a whole lot tougher.
What offensive skill positions specifically? We have a deep receiver core with three of the top players at their position in the conference with guys like Frimpong, Pires and Ed Lee pitching in too. At running back we have two seniors (although 1 has been slowed by injury in Naim Jones). Justice Antrum has also contributed in years past but with the two seniors he hasn't been relied on as much. QB is self explanatory. Therefore you must be talking about TE, which has never really been a focal point of our offense, and is a position that I recall Kenny having started at for the past 3 seasons. Maybe you want a FB like Joe Casey and we should just line up in the Wishbone every play?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago They played hard today. But Fleming is still gonzo. Thanks for the cash Hokies.
Gonzo?!??!!!! Ummm what?
The biggest improvement under Fleming is that we basically go into every game with a chance to win. (Short of playing Power 5 schools- But even this past weekend, we were a rough pass interference call from having the ball with a chance to take the lead late into the third quarter) We've come a long way were the biggest question isn't how much are we going to lose by. While the goal isn't just to be competitive, it is to win, you have to crawl before you can run.

With that said, the job here is equal to running up hill into a stiff breeze. My question to you is, have you been to any in conference road games? Having gone to URI games at places such as William and Mary, Richmond, Towson, James Madison etc etc, I was blown away at the difference in facilities and game day atmosphere. Coach Fleming has worked hard to advocate for improvements, and while the lights and turf are a great start, he is still fighting that uphill battle. You also have to factor in the budget he is working with as far as assistants. Just go onto the other team's websites, you'll see a major difference in number of football staffers. And the budget causes guys to leave. (And maybe with a bigger budget we could get an analytics guy who can come in and explain the statistical benefit of going for it a bit more on 4th down!)

Look, I could definitely go on with this subject, but I think it's pointless. From the outside looking in, the program is showing clear progress. The guys are improving and competing. The program is improving. It doesn't appear that Coach has taken any shortcuts to get us there.
With that said, I am on the outside looking in. Thorr gets an inside glimpse of what is really happening. And if there is more to it then meets the eye, then of course I would support him making the change. But right now, it would make us look real bad firing someone a year removed from the best season in 2 decades.
I was a fan of the guy and you’re absolutely right, he’s running up hill with our facilities, budget ect. But there’s a potential to have another 1 win season. Winnable games have been lost due to poor in game decision making by the coaching staff. I don’t like giving up on coaches but how can you stand for this?
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

Bos8-Frimpong,Erby and backup WRs have done zip.
Back up TE's have done zip. Kenny was not have great year either when he got hurt.
Back up RBs have done zip.

That's 4-6 key players that do nothing.
Waaay too many.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I'm not understanding your argument? We have 3 of the top receivers in the conference? Are you saying that Frimpong should be getting more targets? He will next season.

Looking at our next opponent....
Albany's 4th string WR has 6 catches. As does Frimpong. Their TE has 7 catches. Ours has 6 but has missed the past 2 games.

Looking at our last opponent...
Stony Brook's 4th string WR has 6 catches. As does ours. They've used their TE more then we have, but our top 2 WR's has nearly as many receiving yards as their entire team.

I'm don't believe that is the issue. Last year Jones and Bryant nearly split carries. If Jones wasn't struggling through injuries, that may be the case this year. Pires has been involved in the passing game more so then last year.

Now if you were to have stated defensively, I would be more inclined to agree with you.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I mean the team is 1-5. That is suck and no other way to say it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Bos8-Frimpong,Erby and backup WRs have done zip.
Back up TE's have done zip. Kenny was not have great year either when he got hurt.

Waaay too many.
Saying there’s no depth at the skill positions is just false. How many teams have 3 WRs like us? I’d love to know the stats on every teams 4th WR on the depth chart. They probably all do “zip” as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Bos8-Frimpong,Erby and backup WRs have done zip.

Waaay too many.
Saying there’s no depth at the skill positions is just false. How many teams have 3 WRs like us? I’d love to know the stats on every teams 4th WR on the depth chart. They probably all do “zip” as well.
I mean, it's crazy. Just say "My son is the third string TE and deserves more reps". LOL.... But seriously, depth on the offensive skill positions may be the least of our concerns. Is it an issue basically everywhere on the defensive side? Sure. Maybe even the O-Line. But come on. We have three all league type WRs. Will be interesting next year to see guys like Frimpong, Erby and Lee get a shot alongside Coulter.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The coach has to get credit for a major upgrade in talent level. And it was very necessary and the uptick is significant. Now he’s gotta coach em. But he ain’t going anywhere.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

To have great teams you need depth (injuries).
This is the most talent since 1985.
In 1985-85 teams were 10 deep total at skill positions outside QB. It’s all in the record books.
This years team is 3.5 (Parker,Dorsey,Coulter and 1/2 star to Bryant).
Who has played at a playoff level after these three?
Even losing teams have good RBs.
The TE production has been zip.
Let’s agree for arguments sake Frimpong has been a 1/2 star.
Who on here who thinks the alternates played great has season tickets?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Bos-how many Stony Brook has 3 RBs over 300 yards.
Rhody has 1.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Bos-change your handle to “next year”.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sorry,SB has 3 RBs over 300 yards.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Bos,sorry I missed your point on Pires.
He is averaging 3.3 yards a game on total offense.
It’s the threat he poses that causes opponents to not double up on the Parker,Dorsey,and Coulter,not the production.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Just throwing it out there... URI was down 17-14 in the 3rd quarter against Vtech. Notre Dame is down 17-14 in the 3rd quarter against Vtech.
URI = Notre Dame????
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago Just throwing it out there... URI was down 17-14 in the 3rd quarter against Vtech. Notre Dame is down 17-14 in the 3rd quarter against Vtech.
URI = Notre Dame????
yep, 6 of one half dozen of the other...makes no difference between the two...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Virginia Tech Football Game

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know how much were being paid to play at Virginia Tech? Can anyone find the odds?
According to this article, we're expected to take home about $375,000 after expenses

https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/rams-p ... and-sense/

The check for the Ohio game went to the entire athletic department for general use, the take home for the Virginia Tech game will be applied solely to football.

"For example, the URI football office and team meeting rooms are undergoing renovations. In addition, new laptops were purchased for the assistant coaches affording them better access to the video editing system. All of these big-ticket items cost money, hence, Virginia Tech was added to the schedule."
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I had read we got $500,000. I’ll try to find the article.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I had read we got $500,000. I’ll try to find the article.
We did, 375K was after expenses.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We very well might have received a check for $500,000 from VT, but that would have been gross income and didn't take into account expenses, which we have to cover. I'd be surprised if we incurred $125,000 worth of expenses traveling to VT, but the cost of transporting all those players and equipment and hotels is certainly a large cost. Perhaps Fleming also has a clause in his contract where he receives a bonus for each FBS game played
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines