‘22 NE PG - Preston Murphy Jr (New Orleans)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘22 NE PG - Preston Murphy Jr (Offer)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

DePaul is a dumpster fire.
0 x
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

CAN WE PLEASE GET BOTH FATHER AND SON????
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Unpopular opinion: Have TJ step back into DBO, take Preston Murphy Jr as a player and PM Sr as a coach (if they both are looking to be together which I have knowledge if they are)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Unpopular opinion: Have TJ step back into DBO, take Preston Murphy Jr as a player and PM Sr as a coach (if they both are looking to be together which I have knowledge if they are)
That's not unpopular with me.
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Unpopular opinion: Have TJ step back into DBO, take Preston Murphy Jr as a player and PM Sr as a coach (if they both are looking to be together which I have knowledge if they are)

Instead of demoting TJ, how about we move on from the Carrolls?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago

Instead of demoting TJ, how about we move on from the Carrolls?
That would be my vote
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Not opposed to that at all but don't think Cox would do it. Or remove john john Carroll and put PM Sr in that role
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Not opposed to that at all but don't think Cox would do it. Or remove john john Carroll and put PM Sr in that role
I think that is the better move - while I would love Preson to be brought back as a traditional assistant coach I don’t think that is super wise in terms of the optics with the NCAA. Let’s bring him back in a slightly different role to start and let him rebuild a good reputation.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

100% uri should bring coach Murphy back. I was saying this last year. He’s an outstanding recruiter and would certainly be an upgrade at any coaching level on our team. Now his son who originally wanted to come here is available who is a great PG.... just what we need.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Preston ever came back here, I'd want him as a coach so he can get out and recruit. That's what he's good at.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I would get rid of Carrol and or Sutton before TJ. Sutton was responsible for the Aris thing, that alone is a fireable offense
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Or just straight up hire Preston as coach at this point.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
I would get rid of Carrol and or Sutton before TJ. Sutton was responsible for the Aris thing, that alone is a fireable offense
The *only* issue I have with this is removing Sutton and hiring Preston leaves Cox with all of his assistants younger than him. That can obviously be a good thing, but some staffs need "veteran leadership" of sorts and I think this staff is one of them. I'm not saying Sutton is definitely that guy, either - I don't know enough about what goes on behind the scenes. Just think they need someone in that role.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Not opposed to that at all but don't think Cox would do it. Or remove john john Carroll and put PM Sr in that role
Why do you think Cox would not do it???
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I would be surprised to see John Carroll on the bench next year.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago I would be surprised to see John Carroll on the bench next year.
And junior!
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Based on not calling any fouls late in the first half vs GW and the Tre Mitchell fiasco in the second Umass game the whole coaching staff should be at fault. Who if any should be kept is a huge question. There are other instances but those two stand out to me.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody baby
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I want Preston and his son more than anybody. Need to get this done. Hire Preston and move on from Carol. Prestons son seem to be an outstanding PG... just what we need to replace Fatss.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I could see him end up at Georgia with ARD connection.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago I could see him end up at Georgia with ARD connection.
ARD is at Clemson in ACC.

Or do you mean geographical connection in that ARD is from Atlanta?
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

no a complete brain fart on my behalf. My wife calls them the beginning of my senior moments. My apologies.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Based on not calling any fouls late in the first half vs GW and the Tre Mitchell fiasco in the second Umass game the whole coaching staff should be at fault. Who if any should be kept is a huge question. There are other instances but those two stand out to me.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Oof. Kind of seems like a tumble down the rankings for him, to end up there after initially committing to DePaul. But with the current landscape of college basketball, I'm sure he can just transfer up if he has a great freshman year.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Oof. Kind of seems like a tumble down the rankings for him, to end up there after initially committing to DePaul. But with the current landscape of college basketball, I'm sure he can just transfer up if he has a great freshman year.
Maybe he wants to experience Mardi Gras?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Oof. Kind of seems like a tumble down the rankings for him, to end up there after initially committing to DePaul. But with the current landscape of college basketball, I'm sure he can just transfer up if he has a great freshman year.
Maybe he wants to experience Mardi Gras?
Hey, it's easy to buy a plane ticket, like the rest of us. ;)
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good point, SG. Commitments are like one year contracts. He can re-evaluate after one year, then, depending on how he does and other factors, he can move up or down a level. Not too shabby, actually.

Imagine being young again, being really good at a sport, going to college for free (maybe make some money with an NIL deal too) and living in different parts of the country year to year? Pretty good deal. Grad school, too possibly. Quite the experience and education.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 NE PG - Preston Murphy Jr (New Orleans)

Bored at work today, and following up on some recruits or college players with URI ties...

Murphy has played a bit as a freshman, getting in nine games and starting four. Unfortunately, he hasn't really gotten consistent playing time - he's averaging 12.3 MPG, but he's had 10+ minutes four times, and nine minutes or less five times, including a Baron-esque game where he started but only played six minutes. He's averaging 1.8 PPG, 1.3 RPG and an 'oof' 1.3 TO, for an early season PER of 0.9. He's shooting 36.4 percent from the floor, and 1-for-7 from 3-point range. New Orleans is 2-7 overall.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘22 NE PG - Preston Murphy Jr (New Orleans)

Unread post by STC »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Bored at work today, and following up on some recruits or college players with URI ties...

including a Baron-esque game where he started but only played six minutes.
Never forget Jason Francis starting 27 of 29 games his Junior year while averaging 2 PPG and 11 MPG, peak Baron.
1 x