'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Josh Ogundele - PF
School: Worcester Academy (MA)
Travel/AAU: BABC

Ht: 6'10"
Wt: 233

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
247 Sports: 3 Stars, 88 Grade, #297 in 2020, #48 C
NERR: #16 in New England

TOP FIVE:
Rhode Island (Official Visit: 10/4/2019)
Cincinnati (Official Visit: 10/18/19)
Iowa (Official Visit: 10/11/2019)*
PC (Official Visit: 11/4/2019)
Rutgers

*Committed 11/13/19

AAU Stats: https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/32417028

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ele-250931
https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Ogundele-46055495/
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/josh-ogundele
https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ndele-2020
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 4 years ago, edited 12 times in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder who is recruiting BABC and Mass Rivals.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder who is recruiting BABC and Mass Rivals.
If you mean as the Assistant Coach, TJ has taken over the Northeast area.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder who is recruiting BABC and Mass Rivals.
If you mean as the Assistant Coach, TJ has taken over the Northeast area.
At this point, I just don't see how you can possibly pass over TJ for an assistant's position. He stepped into the job as a "temp" last summer and did well. He more than held his own, and he's even improved upon his performance this year.

He's done everything Dave Cox has asked of him and he's done it well. It's time, give him the damn job. Given his personal performance history at URI as both a player and a staff member he has a helluva recruiting pitch to tell recruits.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With all of this recruiting that TJ is doing, I wonder if he's being paid as a DBO or as an assistant coach?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Offer)

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seems like he would fit the bill nicely.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m guessing based on the discussion above that TJ is the lead here?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seems like a Spring commitment timeframe.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

One of URI's top targets. TJ lead recruiter with assistance from Austin.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Liked this quote:
Q: What’s intriguing about Rhode Island?

A: “They play in a good league in the A-10 so they play some good competition. I like the campus, area and the coaching staff. It’s a good fit for me.”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago One of URI's top targets. TJ lead recruiter with assistance from Austin.
Austin Carroll played at Worcester Academy so there’s that connection going for us.
UMASS has not offered yet. Somewhat surprised Tony Bergeron has not pushed for an offer with his Worcester Academy pipeline but still early
Bruce Weber was at Worcester Academy this week to visit with Ogundele.
Ogundele is from London England
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stats for 18 games played in Nike EYBL this summer playing for BABC
In the Peach Invitational Ogundele had 19 rebounds vs Georgia Stars and 20 rebounds vs Bluff City Legends - his last game in EYBL
Both of these rebound totals were season highs for him. Good rebounding numbers against good competition.

https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/32417028
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A bit of nostalgia.......article from 2007

Three weeks later at the King James Classic, when Carroll scored 28 points including 6 three-pointers in front of Rhode Island Assistant Coach Pat Skerry, the Rams became the second Atlantic 10 program to vie for his services.

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... east-offer
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Liked this quote:
Q: What’s intriguing about Rhode Island?

A: “They play in a good league in the A-10 so they play some good competition. I like the campus, area and the coaching staff. It’s a good fit for me.”
His line that Weber wants him to lose weight to be more efficient...look at what Chase is doing with our strength and conditioning program, this kid would be powerful within a few months after Chase gets his hands on him
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago One of URI's top targets. TJ lead recruiter with assistance from Austin.
Austin Carroll played at Worcester Academy so there’s that connection going for us.
UMASS has not offered yet. Somewhat surprised Tony Bergeron has not pushed for an offer with his Worcester Academy pipeline but still early
What connection does Bergeron have at Worcester Academy? He coached at Woodstock Academy in CT the last two years and before that was in Springfield.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What connection does Bergeron have at Worcester Academy? He coached at Woodstock Academy in CT the last two years and before that was in Springfield.
Oops
My bad :oops: :oops: :oops:
Too early in the morning
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Sounds like an absolute beast on the boards!! If he can stay out of foul trouble he could
pick up 8 to 10 points a game on garbage to go along with 8-10 boards. It'll depend on
whether he is quick enough for the college game. He did do well against good
competition in AAU though, so that bodes well.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Offers starting to roll in. The video shows him pretty quick off the dribble and has a bit of an outside game. reminds me of A Berry a little bit.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

A lot to like, although he's flat footed and slow on the defensive end. Needs to be in better shape, too. Against that competition there should have been some blocks.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he can't play effective defense, then he won't play much.

See Layssard, Mike.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I can't see a freshman starting at the 5 next year, which means they need to bring in s juco or go with someone on the roster
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ogundele played 18 games for BABC. I saw him play a few times. Matt Cross was the big scorer and rebounder for BABC.
BABC was not very good going only (1-12) in Season play.

Ogundele key stats:
11.3 points per game
8.5 rebounds per game and improved significantly At the end of the season
54.9% FG
48-106 FT for 45.3%
Only 5 steals and only 13 blocks in 18 games, however, official scoring consistency varies in these AAU tournaments
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks to me like someone who won't contribute much until his sophomore or junior year.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Recruitment of bigs is its own game within a game. Guys whose game might seem limited in some ways end up getting bigger offers as the number available shrinks.

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

To Cincinnati? Please.That's a bigger offer?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Recruitment of bigs is its own game within a game. Guys whose game might seem limited in some ways end up getting bigger offers as the number available shrinks.

I mentioned that a month ago, that finding a decent big this year has been very tough. I know we might have some Oct visits lined up but I would be surprised if we land a '20 in the fall - hope I'm wrong but I just don't see the market for a big right now.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Still using the old candy on the bed trick! :lol:
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Picked a nice weekend to come.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Another official visitor to know

Iowa offered Massachusetts three-star big man Josh Ogundele on Sept. 26, and he confirmed with me that he's planning to officially visit Iowa Oct. 11-13. He also has an official to Rhode Island planned this weekend.

Ogundele is a sturdy, 6-10, 240-pound center out of Worcester Academy.

It's interesting that he's set to visit the same weekend as Foster. They play the same position. And, unless Iowa sees Foster as a 4 or it wants to add two centers in the 2020 class, you'd figure the staff wouldn't take Ogundele until it knows what Foster will do.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 838305002/
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Looks like he told Bearcat Journal that he's focused on 3 schools, don't have access but I would assume the 3 are URI, Iowa, and Cincinnati.

https://247sports.com/college/cincinnat ... 136445800/
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Looks like he told Bearcat Journal that he's focused on 3 schools, don't have access but I would assume the 3 are URI, Iowa, and Cincinnati.

https://247sports.com/college/cincinnat ... 136445800/
You are correct.

Cincinnati Head Coach John Brannen has used the months of September and now October to hit the road to watch recruits participate in workouts and open gym sessions at their respective high schools. Yesterday Brannen was in Worcester, Massachusetts to check out 2020 PF/C Josh Ogundele. Soon after the session ended, a scholarship offer was extended and Bearcat Journal caught up with the talented big man who hails from Great Britain for the latest in his recruitment.

“Cincinnati has been recruiting me for a few months, stopped for a bit, and then recently it picked back up. Coach Brannen watched me play yesterday at open gym then offered me right after we finished,” said Ogundele.

Ogundele has been in the United States for two years and was asked about the differences in style of play. “The game play in the United States is much faster and more physical. In England we play much slower and more deliberate. The pace of play here (in the United States) is faster and with more physicality,” said Ogundele.

Right now, Ogundele is focused on three schools: Cincinnati, Rhode Island and Iowa. He is taking an official visit to Rhode Island starting tomorrow and will take an official visit to Iowa next weekend. Rhode Island has already offered a scholarship and Iowa extended an offer last week. He is receiving interest from other schools and has no firm timeline on making a decision and will weigh his options and see what happens.

“I know Cincinnati is one of the most dominant teams in the AAC, have made nine straight NCAA tournament appearances, have put 57 players in the NBA, and have a good business program,” said Ogundele. Ogundele plans to major in business at whatever school he chooses.

“I’m not just a big man who plays in the post. I can step out and shoot, drive to the rim from the 3-point line. I’m also a very good passer and very versatile,” said Ogundele.

In terms of key factors when deciding on a school Ogundele cited finding a place he could fit in, play straight away, and that has a good business program. Already holding offers from a slew of mid major programs, schools like Georgia, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, Boston College, USF, UMass, and UConn have all shown interest in the skilled big man.

Stay tuned to BCJ for all of your Cincinnati football and basketball team news and recruiting info.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Follow @hoopsfix on IG. Josh is documenting his OV
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It seems like Coach Cox has made a slight strategy change in recruiting. Last year the visits and in homes to the top 3 recruits were well publicized. Not so this year. Stealth like. Maybe he thinks it provided the competition too much advance notice to react (just guessing). Rhody has been quiet on the recruiting trail this Fall and seems their recruiting targets have been as well about Rhody’s level of interest. We all know that Cox will go for the close on Ogundele this weekend. Don’t be surprised if he commits to Rhody before his visit to Iowa.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It seems like Coach Cox has made a slight strategy change in recruiting. Last year the visits and in homes to the top 3 recruits were well publicized. Not so this year. Stealth like. Maybe he thinks it provided the competition too much advance notice to react (just guessing). Rhody has been quiet on the recruiting trail this Fall and seems their recruiting targets have been as well about Rhody’s level of interest. We all know that Cox will go for the close on Ogundele this weekend. Don’t be surprised if he commits to Rhody before his visit to Iowa.
Hope you’re right. This would cap off a nice recruiting class.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A commit would be fantastic.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah baby let’s go
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It seems like Coach Cox has made a slight strategy change in recruiting. Last year the visits and in homes to the top 3 recruits were well publicized. Not so this year. Stealth like. Maybe he thinks it provided the competition too much advance notice to react (just guessing). Rhody has been quiet on the recruiting trail this Fall and seems their recruiting targets have been as well about Rhody’s level of interest. We all know that Cox will go for the close on Ogundele this weekend. Don’t be surprised if he commits to Rhody before his visit to Iowa.
Like DC_Rams said a couple weeks ago
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you haven’t followed @hoopsfix on IG go do so. The IG story shows you what Rhody emphasizes on an OV and has a good clip of today’s practice. Jeff is dominating
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think we will close him this weekend but I think we get him. He is a backup plan for Cincy and Iowa. He is our priority. I don’t know he sees that yet.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think we will close him this weekend but I think we get him. He is a backup plan for Cincy and Iowa. He is our priority. I don’t know he sees that yet.
I am not saying we definitely get a commitment this weekend. Just don’t be surprised if the Cox close pulls him in the few days following the visit.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think we will close him this weekend but I think we get him. He is a backup plan for Cincy and Iowa. He is our priority. I don’t know he sees that yet.
I am not saying we definitely get a commitment this weekend. Just don’t be surprised if the Cox close pulls him in the few days following the visit.
That would mean he closed this weekend lol, sometimes the kids leave and want to drum up a commitment video. I don’t think we get him for a couple months. He will make his Iowa trip unless they get a commit from their priority one BIG.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He just clearly stated on his IG Live, he is not committing this weekend and is going on his trip to Iowa next week.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He also said he’s waiting on bigger offers to come in. He’s expecting One from an ACC and another from a Big 12 school.
0 x