'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Offer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he gets a look [which they won't show him] at the area around PC, he'll be coming to URI.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He sat behind the providence bench during their blowout win against Sacred Heart. It’s decision time for Josh....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You have to think it's down to us, Cincy, and possibly PC?

We'll know in a week.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since he said he's not announcing this week, I wonder if he has another visit scheduled (Rutgers?)? We didn't hear anything about the PC visit until it was actually happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well with NLOI opening day next Wednesday, no need to verbal at this point.

It's all or nothing......
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Since he said he's not announcing this week, I wonder if he has another visit scheduled (Rutgers?)? We didn't hear anything about the PC visit until it was actually happening.
I think his OV to Rutgers starts today.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With him now taking all 5 visits, does that mean he still is undecided, or he is but he just wants to do the visits?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Two from the BIG 10, one from the Big East, one from the AAC, and us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rutgers is putting a big push on Ogundele now
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I think he loves the idea of the Big East.
What is this based on?
Not specifically the Big East, but a higher level than the A-10. He has made comments on twitter and instagram when one of his buddies commits to higher level leagues like "Big Time" and comments like that. I just think he's shooting higher than us. Just my opinion.
These were some comments he made to the Des Moines Register from a few weeks ago:

Playing in the Big Ten is also a big pull.

"Playing against top NBA competition every game," Ogundele said. "Obviously, I haven’t decided where I’m going. But if I was to go there, it’d be really good, playing against the kind of competition."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 004520002/

I still haven't heard anything to suggest URI is not in pole position here, but just pointing out another comment similar to the ones mentioned above.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are the only place that will likely allow him to start from Year One. He is a fall back for every other school.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Expect verbal sometime from Nov 11-14.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He is a fall back for every other school.
Sure, but while PC has good frontcourt depth for next season with Nate Watson, Noah Horschler, and Jimmy Nichols, Jimmy Nichols is the only frontcourt player under scholarship in 2021. PC has to fill at least two scholarships with frontcourt players (one of which I think will be on the transfer market in the spring), but there is definitely an opening for a player to put in a year of hardwork and have a path to strong playing time at PC. Cooley likes to only carry three frontcourt players, so there is typically always playing time available, even in a reserve role, if the player has earned those minutes.

I still hear JO to URI, I'm simply pointing out that if PT is the most important thing to JO, then choose a school that can offer it. But if other important factors include conference affiliation, program resources, etc. come before PT, other schools can offer those yet still have minutes to offer and a path to playing time, just maybe not the immediate hole.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He is a fall back for every other school.
Sure, but while PC has good frontcourt depth for next season with Nate Watson, Noah Horschler, and Jimmy Nichols, Jimmy Nichols is the only frontcourt player under scholarship in 2021. PC has to fill at least two scholarships with frontcourt players (one of which I think will be on the transfer market in the spring), but there is definitely an opening for a player to put in a year of hardwork and have a path to strong playing time at PC. Cooley likes to only carry three frontcourt players, so there is typically always playing time available, even in a reserve role, if the player has earned those minutes.

I still hear JO to URI, I'm simply pointing out that if PT is the most important thing to JO, then choose a school that can offer it. But if other important factors include conference affiliation, program resources, etc. come before PT, other schools can offer those yet still have minutes to offer and a path to playing time, just maybe not the immediate hole.
I hear you, but the fact that he just received an offer from the other 4 schools on his list within the last two months, shows you where they feel he will fit. These “other” schools want his body in the event their #1 or #2 don’t work out. Sure these other schools have stronger conferences, but he runs the risk of playing garbage time, to 5-10 minutes his 2nd or 3rd year, to 15-20 his senior year because he will continue to get recruited over. Here, he will likely start or be the first big off the bench and play 15-25 minutes a game as a frosh.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Since he said he's not announcing this week, I wonder if he has another visit scheduled (Rutgers?)? We didn't hear anything about the PC visit until it was actually happening.
I think his OV to Rutgers starts today.
Just saw a post on his IG stating he was landing in Newark Airport.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I have no idea what Josh's thoughts are,but I never get a good feeling when a young man continues to take visits, especially when they are mostly schools coming in late and they are basically power 5 schools or BE in PCs case. Still gives me the feeling he has eyes set on bigger settings. Hopefully I am wrong and he realizes Kingston may be the best fit for him, playing at a high level although not P5, better chance at immediate PT and a school that has made it no secret he is a priority. Seems to have a few similarities to McCleod or Anthony Walker situation where he may look at URI as a fall back option if nothing pans out at a higher level.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a bad feeling that we won't get him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I have no idea what Josh's thoughts are,but I never get a good feeling when a young man continues to take visits, especially when they are mostly schools coming in late and they are basically power 5 schools or BE in PCs case. Still gives me the feeling he has eyes set on bigger settings. Hopefully I am wrong and he realizes Kingston may be the best fit for him, playing at a high level although not P5, better chance at immediate PT and a school that has made it no secret he is a priority. Seems to have a few similarities to McCleod or Anthony Walker situation where he may look at URI as a fall back option if nothing pans out at a higher level.
I think there is a big difference between Josh and the other two. Josh has done exactly what he said he was going to do. He said he was going to take 5 official visits. He announced his 5 finalist. The only change was adding PC and removing VT. He never said he was done with his visits. He was usually waiting to hear. He will make his decision next week. Call me optimistic but I still think Rhody has a good chance. He likes Cox, TJ a lot and hit it off with Dana.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What you think we are in the lead maybe have a 60 % chance to land him ??
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a bad feeling that he's going somewhere else.
The lure of the Big Ten ("Playing NBA quality opponents every game") or the Big East
- a National Champion in the recent past, may be too much for him to resist.
PC might not be "Big Time" but the Ruane Center sure makes them effective posers.
Lastly he talked about being in the 'city" as an attractive feature of Cincy.
Kingston is not in the city and going into Newport is a 25 minute ride across 2 bridges or
an expensive Uber ride away! I hope I am completely wrong, Just not looking good.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Also Newport is a poor excuse for a city, it's more a coastal township. A city usually has industry to go with comerce, Newport had fishing, and boat/ship building, not that Josh is looking for a healthy fishing industry, but for someone who feels comfortable living in a city, Providence is a city, Newport is as sleepy in the winter as many small towns.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I think Josh is still a bit of a project but hope we get him. He certainly would have a good chance to earn playing time at URI. He also would have a chance to play on some good teams and get to the dance several times, especially if he becomes a player himself filling one of our biggest needs.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

I hear you, but the fact that he just received an offer from the other 4 schools on his list within the last two months, shows you where they feel he will fit. These “other” schools want his body in the event their #1 or #2 don’t work out. Sure these other schools have stronger conferences, but he runs the risk of playing garbage time, to 5-10 minutes his 2nd or 3rd year, to 15-20 his senior year because he will continue to get recruited over. Here, he will likely start or be the first big off the bench and play 15-25 minutes a game as a frosh.
I agree and I disagree with this post. The way your posts read is that if P5+BE schools suddenly recruit a student-athlete in late-summer/fall of their senior season, it's because all of their first choices fell through and they are in fall back mode. While they might be true in some cases, I don't think that is true in all cases. I think it also does a disservice to the players who do work hard to blow up at the end of AAU season or during their senior seasons to make themselves more exciting, marketable recruits. PC didn't offer Alpha Diallo until January of his senior year after he started to blow up into a Top 125 (and in some services, Top 100) prospect throughout the summer and fall.

I do agree with regards to PC that is true that JO has been a fall-back plan, but if you look at PC, their two big man targets were Hunter Dickinson and Xavier Foster, both who were elite prospects. Anytime you go from recruiting those types of players to recruiting the next-tier of prospect, you are obviously taking a step back in prospect expectations. But I don't believe PC or any other school are recruiting a prospect just hoping they can be roster filler which your scenario suggests as significant risk. I think PC or any other schools hope to develop JO to be a significant asset. Maybe that does mean more time invested initially and less time played as a freshman, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing either.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

He will clearly be recruited over at all the other schools. I believe he is some what of a project with the first order of business being losing 30-40 pounds. I don't see him even helping us next year.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago He will clearly be recruited over at all the other schools. I believe he is some what of a project with the first order of business being losing 30-40 pounds. I don't see him even helping us next year.
Lose 30-40 lbs? I thought he weighs 240-250

If thats the case, then no way he should lose weight. Need a banger in there
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get him to work with Chase and he will be chiseled up in no time
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He won't be a big factor his freshman year, as bigs take longer to develop, but I would expect that to change by his soph year at least.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That is a nothing article. Took his Final 5 list and his official visits (and listed them). Va Tech is no longer involved. Outdated news.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Interesting to see his engagement this afternoon on IG. He is NOT commenting on any of the RHODY posts, except maybe one, but commenting on all the others. I may be reading too much into it, but I don’t have a good feeling about it happening for us.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was confused with the VT mention too but it was written today.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I was confused with the VT mention too but it was written today.
Right, outdated info in an article posted today. He put together information from a few of Josh’s tweets and then probably sent him a message on Twitter or IG and got the “around Nov 13th”. Just some kid/guy trying to get hits by gathering info even if it is outdated.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our pattern has seemed to be quick decision / positive signing or prolonged process and we get left at the alter. Can you imagine what Chris Silva would have done in the A10?!? That one always killed me.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Josh at Rutgers game. The only beat Bryant 73-71.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Josh at Rutgers game. The only beat Bryant 73-71.
- attendance was 5,692 vs Bryant, signaling the highest home opener attendance since 2014 and the largest home opening crowd under Steve Pikiell

Rutgers was favored by 21.5 points and squeaked by winning by only 2

The good crowd could be interpreted favorably by Ogundele, especially when comparing to the meager crowd he witnessed for the RIC Exhibition game

Ogundele could also be seeing playing time at Rutgers due to the weaker that expected performance

Big 10 basketball could be a draw for him
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rutgers is out.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
- attendance was 5,692 vs Bryant, signaling the highest home opener attendance since 2014 and the largest home opening crowd under Steve Pikiell

The good crowd could be interpreted favorably by Ogundele, especially when comparing to the meager crowd he witnessed for the RIC Exhibition game

Ogundele could also be seeing playing time at Rutgers due to the weaker that expected performance

Kind of insulting to say a kid is not smart enough to know the difference between a home opener and an exhibition game, IMO.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Talk about a spin. Any chance you are involved in politics? Yes let's go into how somebody else may interpret something and spin a crowd for an exhibition game against a division 3 school and compare that to a crowd for the first game of the year. Apples and oranges. I have no idea where this guy ends up, I hope it is Rhode Island since they clearly want him, but if he ends up at Rutgers (Jesus why would he do that with his other choices. If he wants the Big 10, he has Iowa) it will have nothing to do with a robust crowd of 5,700 for their first game played in an outdated basketball arena built in 1977 that is not half as nice as the Ryan Center. I would bet that the Facility alone would rule out Rutgers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Kind of insulting to say a kid is not smart enough to know the difference between a home opener and an exhibition game, IMO.
Kind of an insulting comment by you to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster you bring joy to my life
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Rutgers is out.
Josh's decision or Rutgers' decision?
Last edited by Billyboy78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago

Talk about a spin. Any chance you are involved in politics? Yes let's go into how somebody else may interpret something and spin a crowd for an exhibition game against a division 3 school and compare that to a crowd for the first game of the year. Apples and oranges. I have no idea where this guy ends up, I hope it is Rhode Island since they clearly want him, but if he ends up at Rutgers (Jesus why would he do that with his other choices. If he wants the Big 10, he has Iowa) it will have nothing to do with a robust crowd of 5,700 for their first game played in an outdated basketball arena built in 1977 that is not half as nice as the Ryan Center. I would bet that the Facility alone would rule out Rutgers.
Hey, a couple weeks ago I was told I was a PC fan for comments I made about Ogundele and PC. I was told that PC and Rutgers were not in the hunt, Yet here Ogundele has just visited PC and Rutgers in the past week. Go figure.

Who knows where he ends up?

RJSuperfly is a longtime OC fan who hears Ogundele is likely headed to URI based on his sources. A few of my connections at PC think he is committing to PC - and NO I AM NOT IN ANY WAY A PC FAN!! - so there’s that.

Last second he decided to visit Rutgers and attend a game in a two day stay but 83 says Rutgers is out.

Who knows?

If I were Ogundele I’d pick URI. I’ve seen him play live more than 5 times. He would benefit from:
Fitness Program we have which is great
Academic Support Program which is fantastic!!
Langevine graduating opening up great chance for playing time
Beautiful campus
Less likelihood to be recruited over
Good chance to go to NCAA Tournament and win a game or two which is not likely at Rutgers or PC

It’s all about playing time which many players don’t get when they are recruited. That’s the #1 reason why 1000 players a year transfer
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago ramster you bring joy to my life
:D
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Really? Is this elementary school? Sorry about your feelings but I stand by what I said. Comparing attendance at an exhibition game to the first game and using that difference to try to say that Rutgers may be the better choice is a very weak argument. And what are you talking about, insulting to the kid? Nothing I said has anything to do with Josh. He did not write the comments I responded to.

Not surprised Rutgers is out.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Rutgers is out.
Based on what?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Really? Is this elementary school? Sorry about your feelings but I stand by what I said. Comparing attendance at an exhibition game to the first game and using that difference to try to say that Rutgers may be the better choice is a very weak argument. And what are you talking about, insulting to the kid? Nothing I said has anything to do with Josh. He did not write the comments I responded to.

My comment was not to you. Read the thread. You are responding to a comment that was not to you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And I’m not convinced Rutgers is out.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Because they aren’t OUT.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rutgers is the Fordham of the BIG10. The odds of Rutgers getting to the NCAAs are about the same as Fordham getting a bid.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rutgers just got a commitment from another Forward:
0 x
Slava Ukraini!