UConn headed to the Big East

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

UConn headed to the Big East

Unread post by RF1 »

I know there is mention of this in the Hurley thread but thought it deserved its own thread as it affects much more than just Hurley's program. There have been many rumors of late that UConn athletics is headed to the Big East. The Hartford Courant is now confirming this is likely to happen. No mention yet about what would happen to their FBS football program. I can't imagine that the AAC would be happy just having the lousy football team while losing the more prestigious hoops programs. Would likely mean UConn football faces some big decisions - stay FBS or drop back to FCS, join new league for just football, or go independent.

UConn on the verge of joining the Big East, football future in the AAC unclear
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hu ... story.html
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: UConn headed to the Big East

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I personally am thrilled about this if true. I have wanted UCONN to join the Big East since the day the Big 10 said they were going to a 20 game conference schedule. UCONN has had good rivalries in the past with many of the original 7 Big East schools. It gives the conference a strong geographic partner to go to 20 conference games with.

I know many of my fellow Friars do not share the same excitement. Some are still stuck on the initial vision of the conference being Catholic schools, many feel no favors should be done for UCONN because of how they destabilized the old Big East and the fact that it makes UCONN a bigger threat in New England recruiting. UCONN's recruiting does not concern me. They were going to recruit at a high-level with Hurley regardless of conference. PC has not recruited New England well outside of their 2017 and 2018 classes, and even then, 2017 featured MAL who initially committed to UCONN before decommiting due to changing assistants.

People have always expressed concern about their football before -- I personally do not care if UCONN stayed in the Big East for 1, 5, or 10 years. UCONN being the 11th team in the conference will not destabilize it if they choose to leave for a P5 football offer (which will probably never happen).
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Would not be happy to see this play out:
Screenshot_20190622-162938_Chrome.jpg
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think we saw last September that the best fit for UConn foo'ball is...the CAA.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Why VCU when there are other programs like Old Dominion University or James Madison that work better into the level of the AAC
?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Opinion: UConn rejoining the Big East means the school has given up on football program
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1536302001 ... ssion=true
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

They would have the just about the best stadium in the CAA!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 4 years ago Why VCU when there are other programs like Old Dominion University or James Madison that work better into the level of the AAC
?
Because the AAC has Navy for Football and Wichita State for Basketball. AAC would then get Army for Football do they would have full control of the prestigious Army-Navy Football Game and grab VCU for Basketball. That’s what’s being talked about.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The service academies are never giving up control of the Army-Navy game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Must have been the game we almost beat them that made them realize they suck at football.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago The service academies are never giving up control of the Army-Navy game.
The point is Army AND Navy would BOTH be in the same Football Conference.
It’s whats being talked about as a possibility to replace UCONN in Football.
Similar to Navy and Wichita State.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If UConn football chooses to go the independent route a la UMass [or the AAC kicks them out]...they are done.

The only independent that can flourish is Notre Dame.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago The service academies are never giving up control of the Army-Navy game.
The AAC would never control the Army-Navy game. Never.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
The AAC would never control the Army-Navy game. Never.
I don’t get what you mean. I’m simply passing on what I read. I did not make it up. What do you mean by control? It’s simply that Army and Navy would both be in the AAC Football Conference. Army would plat an AAC Schedule.
It’s in the articles speculating as to what the AAC might so. UMASS is also listed as a possible option
But seems most prominent is Army in Football and VCU in Basketball.
It’s not my opinion at all, just the messenger
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is a good summary of many of the possible options for AAC to backfill the UConn opening

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... ement/amp/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here's why UConn left the AAC, and what's next for everybody
https://mattbrown.substack.com/p/heres- ... he-aac-and
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Idk About this UConn to big east stuff but:

If the big east had and BALLS they would not accept them. Honestly the big east really doesn’t need them.
Plus UConn tried for years to get out of the big east to go to a power 5 conference and when that didn’t happen they cried about the AAC.

There is a reason those power 5 conferences took other schools other than UConn ( even with UConn coming off that fiesta bowl ) sorry UConn fans but even with your national championships your still not a big draw nationally.

UConn is desperate to get back in the big east.

This whole thing seams very slimy to me and back channeling was definitely done. Seems like typical UConn business.

Finally one question, do you think this was told to DH while they were talking to him to move there.
Sit tight a year or 2 then we will be in the big east.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well it sure looks like UConn football will never get in a P5 conference, but they won't drop to FCS?

They are screwed and they deserved it.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

(yay!)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago Idk About this UConn to big east stuff but:

If the big east had and BALLS they would not accept them. Honestly the big east really doesn’t need them.
Plus UConn tried for years to get out of the big east to go to a power 5 conference and when that didn’t happen they cried about the AAC.

There is a reason those power 5 conferences took other schools other than UConn ( even with UConn coming off that fiesta bowl ) sorry UConn fans but even with your national championships your still not a big draw nationally.

This whole thing seams very slimy to me and back channeling was definitely done. Seems like typical UConn business.

Finally one question, do you think this was told to DH while they were talking to him to move there.
It’s smart business for the Big East as well. Conferences are switching to 20 games. Big East was looking for an 11th member. Pretty much became UCONN, St. Louis, or a real long-shot but previously discussed Gonzaga. That will be a a 19th and 20th conference game against a team that should be consistently Top 75 at worst, and in many years much better. They help maintain dominance at MSG, and should help lock up another strong TV contract with Fox. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. With less games available against tournament teams and 70-80% of your conference games are against Q1/Q2 opponents, it all but ensures that teams .500 or better in conference make the tournament.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, if the A10 went to 20 league games it wouldn't help a bit....too many crappy teams

This coming season, it looks like 5 or 6 good teams, and the rest a bunch of dreck.

The OOC games are vital to an A10 team making the tournament. And there will be less opportunities for good OOC wins as time goes on.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The depth of the A10 this year will be great, don't agree with you Bone. Not this year.

VCU, Davidson, Dayton are all preseason Top 35ish
Rhody, St Louis, Bonnies and Duquesne could all be Top 75 (with Rhody hopefully topping that list and pressing the first 3)
Richmond should be Top 100

That is 8 teams in the Top 100. About as good as it will get for the A10 if these teams perform to expectation.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago Idk About this UConn to big east stuff but:

It’s smart business for the Big East as well. Conferences are switching to 20 games. Big East was looking for an 11th member. Pretty much became UCONN, St. Louis, or a real long-shot but previously discussed Gonzaga. That will be a a 19th and 20th conference game against a team that should be consistently Top 75 at worst, and in many years much better. They help maintain dominance at MSG, and should help lock up another strong TV contract with Fox. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. With less games available against tournament teams and 70-80% of your conference games are against Q1/Q2 opponents, it all but ensures that teams .500 or better in conference make the tournament.
RJ,
If you had your choice between Dayton, St Louis and UConn who would you have picked for this 11th spot?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Are you really asking that question? A 4 time national champ or the school Travy Ford coaches? It's a no brainer.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm assuming 99% of the folks would prefer UConn to Dayton or SLU. The only 2 caveats might be (if anyone cares) is that the 10 BE schools are all small private institutions and UConn has football (and we all know how that worked out before). 9 of the 10 schools are catholic (I don't think Butler is), so it's interesting they are taking a public school albeit it one that most members have a history with. Does anyone in the BE care about that and will it cause problems?

If I was a Big East fan, I wouldn't care at all and would love it - it's a great move, especially if any renewal of the Fox deal offsets a good chunk of the exit fee from the AAC plus what they'd lose in the AACs deal with ESPN. I would certainly love it if they were joining the A10.

Now the A10 commish needs to do what they need to do to make sure neither the AAC (if they replace UConn) nor the Big East (if they expand further than 11) again steal teams from the A10.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don’t think the A10 has to worry about Big East poachers. The Big East loves the double-round robin and won’t sacrifice that.

Ramster, my answer is emphatically UCONN. My only problem with the NBE was lack of hatred. The conference has been exciting because of many quality, Top 50 caliber games, but fans don’t really hate anyone. UCONN creates an enemy for multiple schools. Not just that, but their average level of performance is much higher than Dayton or St. Louis.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To that point, the AAC has a good collection of teams, when you look a at them individually. There are just no real natural rivalries, and the travel is ridiculous. It’s like if every conference game for URI was Davidson or Saint Louis.

On paper, the top teams from the A10 and AAC would make a very good conference, even though there are a million reasons it can’t happen.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The challenge with the AAC has also been the depth. The advantage of the Big East has been top-to-bottom, a team is playing 70-80% of their games as quality games.

The AAC has struggled because of an unbalanced schedule and the fact that the bottom of their league has traditionally been very poor. In the last 5 years, they have had the following for 100+ KenPom teams (15 to 19): 5, 4, 6, 7, 4. So while they have improved the talent at the top of the league, they are geographically scattered and still have many poor teams.

The Big East by comparison has had 6 100+ teams in the last 5 years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A ten team league makes for a nice tight schedule, where good teams can beat up on each other and make the tournament with unspectacular looking conference records. It can lead to really entertaining basketball, with teams who are very familiar with each other matching up twice.

Cut off the bottom 4 from the A10, and things start to look much better there, too.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The BE suffers from a perception problem, and UConn helps address that. The reality is that by the metrics the league has been very strong since its formation, the perception is that its Villanova and a bunch of good but not overly sexy programs. The general college hoops fan believes the NBE has fallen way off from its previous iteration, when in reality the quality of the league top to bottom is still very high. Adding to the perception issue is that brand name schools like Gtown and St Johns have been irrelevant for a while now, and no matter how well Creighton, Butler or Xavier perform they will never garner the attention and buzz that a really good Gtown, St Johns or now Uconn will.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ace wrote: 4 years ago To that point, the AAC has a good collection of teams, when you look a at them individually. There are just no real natural rivalries, and the travel is ridiculous. It’s like if every conference game for URI was Davidson or Saint Louis.

On paper, the top teams from the A10 and AAC would make a very good conference, even though there are a million reasons it can’t happen.
Clearly you have never heard of The Civil ConFLiCT....

/s
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Could more AAC teams be catching the next train to bailville?
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t think so, but everyone always talks about Cincinnati wanting out.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Could more AAC teams be catching the next train to bailville?
Where are they going to go? I think UCONN’s decision was easier because many felt they fell far behind on the realignment list and had no chance for a P5 football invite. Anyone who still has football aspirations should stay in the AAC. And even then, the AAC still has good basketball talent. Like what is Cincy going to do? Try to push their football into the MAC (and probably end up an Indy) and bring their basketball to the A10? I don’t think that would make sense for them. Is UCF going to return to Conference USA? The AAC is the best thing to ever happen to UCF. I don’t see teams bailing unless they hear the P5 bells. Not many athletic programs can leave the AAC and end up in a better spot than where they were the year prior.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UConn football set up to fail by people who need to support it the most
https://www.theday.com/article/20190624 ... /190629719

UConn football is over. University leadership has signed the death certificate, now that headlines have emerged about State U's foray back into the Big East.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago UConn football set up to fail by people who need to support it the most
https://www.theday.com/article/20190624 ... /190629719

UConn football is over. University leadership has signed the death certificate, now that headlines have emerged about State U's foray back into the Big East.
Just don't urinate on Edsall's shoes and tell him it's rain. Benedict and the rest of the hierarchy have hitched the wagon to basketball. That's fine. Just end the football charade now. Because it can't possibly succeed.

Amazing how poorly communicated the move was with many finding out from sources other than school leadership
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago 12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East
Lots of solid points in that article.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago 12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East
UCONN athletics has two parties:

Basketball - Love the move
Football - Hate the move

While there are some valid points in this article, there are also many untruths that help sell the author’s narrative, such as:

The author states that outside of Villanova the ratings on FS1 are “5-digit.” FS1 may not have great ratings, but average nearly 200K per game. That is not all on Villanova.

The author states Fox’s Big 10 deal erases their interest in the Big East. That’s false, the Big East gets the majority of the coverage on FS1. That is largely in part due to the Big 10s shared coverage between ESPN, Big 10 Network, and CBS, but it’s still the truth.

The author states the AAC is better than the Big East in basketball. No real college basketball fan should believe that. If you are judging each conference top-to-bottom, or in totality of each conferences existence, hands down its the Big East.

The author believes being on streaming services like ESPN+ is better than being featured on cable because cable is destined to die. I don’t know anyone who’d rather pay and watch games on a stream than be able to turn on the cable box and watch a game.

There are others, but it seems like words of a sad football fan.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure the BigEverywhere is 'hands down' better than the AllAnywhere Conference.
Combine the conferences and take the Top10 from the combo, you probly get 5 from each.
The middle looks about even, with the BE maybe having a better bottom third.

This is how KP has them...I guess one could fuss about specifics, but wouldn't call it clearly better.

Having said that, it's clearly better for the Huskies to get back on the nostalgia train back to MSG in March...

Rk Team Conf
12 Houston 3 Amer
29 Cincinnati 7 Amer
30 Villanova 6 BE
33 Marquette 5 BE
34 UCF 9 Amer
55 Creighton 2 BE
56 Memphis 3 Amer
60 Seton Hall 10 BE
65 Xavier 3 BE
66 Wichita St. 6 Amer
69 Temple 11 Amer
72 Butler 5 BE
79 Providence 4 BE
88 St. John's 11 BE
98 Connecticut Amer
99 South Florida Amer
100 Georgetown 3 BE
107 SMU Amer
118 DePaul BE
119 Tulsa Amer
264 East Carolina Amer
283 Tulane Amer
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Sure if you take one season, the AAC had a good year. Heck, in 2014 there were people saying the A10 was better than the Big East. Track record means something though. If you look at the new Big East since inception, it’s put 53% of its teams into the tournament. The AAC has put in 28%. The Big East at its worst has put 4 teams into the tournament. The AAC at its best has put in 4 teams.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

For an athletic department that’s lacking money, where do they find the money to pay exit fee from AAC ( reported 10mil ) and pay the Kevin Ollie ( up to 10mil ) situation?

What do they do with football? Is it dead? Beg the CAA for football only? Go independent like Umass?

It’s very obvious this decision was made for both basketball teams and Olympic sports.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure the BigEverywhere is 'hands down' better than the AllAnywhere Conference.
Combine the conferences and take the Top10 from the combo, you probly get 5 from each.
The middle looks about even, with the BE maybe having a better bottom third.

This is how KP has them...I guess one could fuss about specifics, but wouldn't call it clearly better.

Having said that, it's clearly better for the Huskies to get back on the nostalgia train back to MSG in March...

Rk Team Conf
12 Houston 3 Amer
29 Cincinnati 7 Amer
30 Villanova 6 BE
33 Marquette 5 BE
34 UCF 9 Amer
55 Creighton 2 BE
56 Memphis 3 Amer
60 Seton Hall 10 BE
65 Xavier 3 BE
66 Wichita St. 6 Amer
69 Temple 11 Amer
72 Butler 5 BE
79 Providence 4 BE
88 St. John's 11 BE
98 Connecticut Amer
99 South Florida Amer
100 Georgetown 3 BE
107 SMU Amer
118 DePaul BE
119 Tulsa Amer
264 East Carolina Amer
283 Tulane Amer
What does the number mean to the right of the school name?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I went back and looked and...best as I can tell, that would be the team's NCAAT seed?
ETA...then again...not sure...
ETA again.... tourney seed, 'cept some (in smaller print on kp site) might be NIT seedings... (i.e., PC, G'town?)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Sure if you take one season, the AAC had a good year. Heck, in 2014 there were people saying the A10 was better than the Big East. Track record means something though. If you look at the new Big East since inception, it’s put 53% of its teams into the tournament. The AAC has put in 28%. The Big East at its worst has put 4 teams into the tournament. The AAC at its best has put in 4 teams.
RJ,
You made the statement that the Big East is "Hands Down" better than the AAC

BE was 5th and AAC was 6th ranked Conferences in RealTimeRPI. The gap between the BE and the AAC has closed very fast in Basketball years.
While what you say is true about history of the Big East, don't you have some concern that the BE has been the #1 or #2 Ranked Conference and has now slipped very quickly to 5th? and that the AAC, instead of slipping, is actually rising led by Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Temple, Wichita State and rapidly improving Memphis?
Memphis got 4 Recruits Ranked in the Top 38 ESPN in the Class of 2019 - a monster recruiting class
BE and AAC have in a short amount of time become close to even - 208's Listing of the Teams clearly shows that

Memphis has had a banner recruiting year, stronger than any BE Team. BE is not getting the Top 50 Players like they used to in years past, they are more often 51-100 or 1-1-200 ranked, not like in the years that the BE had several teams in the Top 25

It may be just a 1 year slip as you seem to believe, but it could also be a more disturbing trend. Time will tell.

I think you are underrating the progress the AAC has made and is continuing to make. This could be the year the AAC surpasses the BE. I also think you could be overestimating the BE ability to recover from the Drop to the 5th ranked conference. BE performance in the 2019 NCAA Tournament was less than expected.
Picture200.png
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It’s always possible that the AAC is better moving forward, but unfortunately my life revolves around trends. We keep quoting what happened in one year which was a down year for the Big East and a historic year for the AAC and acting like that’s the baseline. It’s the only time in 5 years the AAC has been even close to comparable to the Big East and now we are trying to sell the AAC is close to the caliber of basketball of the Big East? Again it’s the same discussion we had about the A10. The A10 had a historic year in 2014 and you were trying to tell me the A10 was just as good as the Big East. Then the A10 reverted to its norm (3 bids), while the Big East reverted to its norm (5+ bids) and that conversation became a joke. The AAC has some good teams and some potential but it needs to produce those tournament teams consistently. People can find whatever stats they want to support their point but I think grabbing stats from one season is a huge stretch.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RJ,
YOU said the BE was Hands Down better than the AAC. That is what started the comparison by 208
Forget the past. It's all about the present and the future
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I really could care less about either, but right now...the BigEverywhere is not 'hands down better than the AllAnywhere'... it just isn't. Historically, maybe, but right now...just doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. UConn and Hurls will help the BE. But, if UConn were not moving, my money would be on the AAC to be better than the NBE for the next few years...they still could be actually.
0 x