'19 JUCO SF - Devale Johnson (URI ---> Kent State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 JUCO SF - Devale Johnson

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any chance he commits today?
0 x
GO RAMS
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Just my thoughts, but actually, Johnson was a pretty good junior college player, an honorable mention Juco all american. Johnson is your proto-typical "late bloomer" who has grown into an interior post position player. He was a point guard early in high school, became a combo guard the following year, and as he kept growing, he became a forward in his senior season. Constantly changing positions he didn't show out in his senior year. And he needed grades.

Johnson is more than a "practice player". He has long arms, good hands and he can get up off the floor, all attributes that make him a good rebounder and shot blocker. Which he was in junior college.

Unlike Preston, who was a great athlete not a great basketball player, Johnson can handle the ball a bit and shoot it pretty well because he was a high school guard.

I think Johnson could help us, filling the role of back-up to Langevine next season. He could play 10 to 12 minutes a game behind Langevine and give us some positional flexibility as Cox keeps building a deep, talented roster.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Any chance he commits today?
Yes. I really hope Cox lands him today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am willing to bet that any player Rhody adds between now and the start of the school year, will not be part if the 8!man rotation. The only exception would be injury or the lose of a rotational player.

You have 80 minutes to split between Cyril, Harris, Walker & a portion of Tate’s time. There isn’t another 10-12 minutes to go around.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reckless jake
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I am willing to bet that any player Rhody adds between now and the start of the school year, will not be part if the 8!man rotation. The only exception would be injury or the lose of a rotational player.

You have 80 minutes to split between Cyril, Harris, Walker & a portion of Tate’s time. There isn’t another 10-12 minutes to go around.
There is if Harris doesn't get any better. Harris needs to find his way on the court, he often looks lost out there. And he needs to get physically stronger. How many times was the ball ripped out of his hands?

And we've not even seen Walker play a minute yet. We need a back-up up to Langevine. So maybe the rotation is 9 deep.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I guarantee you that Harris and Walker will be regulars in the rotation. Cox has made a commitment to both of them.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Any of our picture experts have an opinion on his height? I am sure Jermaine loves Devale wearing his jersey. Just noted the not committed at the end of his post.
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Are you Harris' agent? Lol.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Are you Harris' agent? Lol.
Haha. Believe me that Harris carries weight with David Cox.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

83, I see you posting below his IG post...do you want him to come here or no?
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Does he commit, or does he wait to see if St. John's offers?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Any of our picture experts have an opinion on his height? I am sure Jermaine loves Devale wearing his jersey. Just noted the not committed at the end of his post.
I don't know how tall he is but he definitely has long arms.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

His decision most likely will come this weekend.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago His decision most likely will come this weekend.
Is it between us and St. John's (if they offer)?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's built like Rajon Rondo, long arms, big hands, although Rondo is only about 6 foot.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago His decision most likely will come this weekend.
Very soon. If SJU didn’t/doesn’t offer, we will nab him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago 83, I see you posting below his IG post...do you want him to come here or no?
I am indifferent. I don’t have an opinion on Devale’s skill level. I would prefer a Center Transfer that could fill the big hole that Cyril will leave next year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I hear a lot of people saying there is a logjam at his perceived position and we don’t need him...many people said the same thing about Stan Robinson. Yes he had a higher pedigree but plenty of folks were like with EC, Jarvis, Jared, Jeff etc we didn’t need another guard. He then ended up being a very key cog on 2 tourney teams. You take the best player available at this point in recruiting season, if this guy is that then I am all for taking him and let the chips fall where they may.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Some thoughts on a few of the post above:
Thank God for DC Rams and Ace because no else gets it 😳.
Most fans are aware they have 11 scholarship players and would prefer to add a player to this year’s team.
Was Omar brought in last summer as the practice player? How did that work out.
Hammond doesn’t belong in the group with the 6’7” guys. Hammond is a SG.
KI played the 4 as a skinny 6’9. Can’t Johnson play the 4 at 6’7”-8? He could have a similar game. Definitely a shot blocker.
If they truly just want a practice player, should they go after a Center transfer instead who can help fill the Cyril whole next year?
I don’t understand the emoji in this context. I don’t think anyone should be brought in as just a practice player. Scholarship spots are too valuable for that, at least in the way I’d prefer a team managed. I’m not completely comfortable going into the following season with Walker, Harris, and a freshman as the bigs, but that’s a long way off.
I agree with Ace. While I agree someone has to be the 11–13 players on any college basketball program that uses their full allotment of scholarships why fill the spots with a Ryan Preston/Aris type player. There are still many graduate transfers left or if you want take a chance at least make it a power forward/center size player. Johnson doesn’t seem to have any place on this team and will either leave after this season or have a similar career to Preston. I get that we want the extra body for practice, but this seems the wrong way to go about it. The junior college route has only seems to work with the top players which Johnson is not.
I don’t think that’s what I said, though. I really just wanted to know what the emoji meant.

I hope that anyone they bring on board is someone they think can contribute is what I meant. Aris was never a “practice player.” Neither was Omar. They were just misses, one more than the other. I hope Omar does great at Hofstra in his second act, kind of like Butler at UT-Martin.

Regardless, I need to know the story behind “Human Tarantula.”
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I hear a lot of people saying there is a logjam at his perceived position and we don’t need him...many people said the same thing about Stan Robinson. Yes he had a higher pedigree but plenty of folks were like with EC, Jarvis, Jared, Jeff etc we didn’t need another guard. He then ended up being a very key cog on 2 tourney teams. You take the best player available at this point in recruiting season, if this guy is that then I am all for taking him and let the chips fall where they may.
I will go out on a limb here any say that Devale Johnson is no Stan Robinson.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I hear a lot of people saying there is a logjam at his perceived position and we don’t need him...many people said the same thing about Stan Robinson. Yes he had a higher pedigree but plenty of folks were like with EC, Jarvis, Jared, Jeff etc we didn’t need another guard. He then ended up being a very key cog on 2 tourney teams. You take the best player available at this point in recruiting season, if this guy is that then I am all for taking him and let the chips fall where they may.
Stan Robinson was a top 50 recruit at one time. This is a completely different talent level. I get the position comparison, but we are not talking about an Indiana commitment here.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

“Human Tarantula” may refer to his long, “spidery” arms.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Stan Robinson was no Stan Robinson according to a lot of Kearney Blue posters when he was being recruited too.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote: 4 years ago
Stan Robinson was no Stan Robinson according to a lot of Kearney Blue posters when he was being recruited too.
:lol:
Exactly right BFC, and even after the recruiting was done, Stan was no Stan Robinson according to a number of KB Posters. Stan proved a number of people wrong
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t understand the emoji in this context. I don’t think anyone should be brought in as just a practice player. Scholarship spots are too valuable for that, at least in the way I’d prefer a team managed. I’m not completely comfortable going into the following season with Walker, Harris, and a freshman as the bigs, but that’s a long way off.
I agree with Ace. While I agree someone has to be the 11–13 players on any college basketball program that uses their full allotment of scholarships why fill the spots with a Ryan Preston/Aris type player. There are still many graduate transfers left or if you want take a chance at least make it a power forward/center size player. Johnson doesn’t seem to have any place on this team and will either leave after this season or have a similar career to Preston. I get that we want the extra body for practice, but this seems the wrong way to go about it. The junior college route has only seems to work with the top players which Johnson is not.
I don’t think that’s what I said, though. I really just wanted to know what the emoji meant.

I hope that anyone they bring on board is someone they think can contribute is what I meant. Aris was never a “practice player.” Neither was Omar. They were just misses, one more than the other. I hope Omar does great at Hofstra in his second act, kind of like Butler at UT-Martin.

I don't see Johnson as a Practice Player. In Fact, I can't think of URI ever signing a player just to be a practice player. Walk On's, yes for practice,but not scholarship players. It might seem later that a player only participated in practice but that was not the original plan.

This team needs shooting percentage improvement - 3 point shooting was our biggest weakness last season
Johnson shot 42.8% and 44.1% the past two seasons at two JC's. A kid with his height, athletic ability, shooting ability looks great to me to take a shot at in June with a spot open on the roster. I'm all in with Cox on this move. Hope a LOT that Cox gets his man here

Johnson's Stats for this season at Williston JC:
65-152 for 42.8% on 3 pointers, 2nd most attempts on the team, percentage led the team
31-41 for 75.6% on FTs led the team
8.6 rebounds per game led the team
53 blocked shots easily led the team
18.8 minutes per game

Johnson's Stats at New Mexico JC a year ago:
15-34 for 44.1% on 3 pointers, only played the last 12 games of the season
6-10 for 60.% on FTs
6.0 rebounds per game led the team
.8 blocked shots per game
18.8 minutes per game
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

I don't see Johnson as a Practice Player. In Fact, I can't think of URI ever signing a player just to be a practice player. Walk On's, yes for practice,but not scholarship players. It might seem later that a player only participated in practice but that was not the original plan.

This team needs shooting percentage improvement - 3 point shooting was our biggest weakness last season
Johnson shot 42.8% and 44.1% the past two seasons at two JC's. A kid with his height, athletic ability, shooting ability looks great to me to take a shot at in June with a spot open on the roster. I'm all in with Cox on this move. Hope a LOT that Cox gets his man here

Johnson's Stats for this season at Williston JC:
65-152 for 42.8% on 3 pointers, 2nd most attempts on the team, percentage led the team
31-41 for 75.6% on FTs led the team
8.6 rebounds per game led the team
53 blocked shots easily led the team
18.8 minutes per game

Johnson's Stats at New Mexico JC a year ago:
15-34 for 44.1% on 3 pointers, only played the last 12 games of the season
6-10 for 60.% on FTs
6.0 rebounds per game led the team
.8 blocked shots per game
18.8 minutes per game
You don’t have to think far back on uri getting a player to just be a practice player-how about last year with Aris.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s my point. They signed Aris because they thought he could play or give them something, not just to fill a spot. When it became clear he couldn’t, the reasoning for his signing, by some here, morphed into saying he was just a “practice player.” I’d still love to know what Sutton thought he saw or knew and how he sold it.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Right, programs don't spend scholarships to bolster their practice squads, they do spend them late in a cycle on athletic potential. Good questions regarding Sutton's thoughts on Aris.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago That’s my point. They signed Aris because they thought he could play or give them something, not just to fill a spot. When it became clear he couldn’t, the reasoning for his signing, by some here, morphed into saying he was just a “practice player.” I’d still love to know what Sutton thought he saw or knew and how he sold it.
Right. Only on KB did some call him a “practice player” recruit, and it stuck
Aris was announced September 12 which of course is very, very late. Cox has never seen him play and trusted Sutton.
Tough when you unexpectedly lose a roster player like Layssard so late that you thought would be on the team. very slim pickings in August/September.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago
Good news that we provided an offer with the visit
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago That’s my point. They signed Aris because they thought he could play or give them something, not just to fill a spot. When it became clear he couldn’t, the reasoning for his signing, by some here, morphed into saying he was just a “practice player.” I’d still love to know what Sutton thought he saw or knew and how he sold it.
Right. Only on KB did some call him a “practice player” recruit, and it stuck
Aris was announced September 12 which of course is very, very late. Cox has never seen him play and trusted Sutton.
Tough when you unexpectedly lose a roster player like Layssard so late that you thought would be on the team. very slim pickings in August/September.
Get your point in terms of having enough players for practice and how they were already short handed, but I’m not sure the phrase it is tough to lose a player like Layssard can ever be used with a sentence. It is like losing a walk on.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I feel like I kind of inadvertently started this discussion of Johnson being a "practice player" by mentioning it in my post. To be clear, I meant that staff probably sees that as a downside / lower end possibility, and it wouldn't be unique with Johnson. Like, with any target, I imagine the first priority is scouting guys you think can be a starter, an important reserve, a future starter, etc.

BUT, I'd say that any staff is aware that you really only have minutes for seven to 10 players, so worst case, you're probably hoping that a guy will still bust his ass and be a viable scrimmage / practice player. I'd always rather have an unbalanced roster that's talented ("too many" wings and not enough guards or centers) vs. a perfectly-balanced roster, position-wise. The latter especially seemed to be a problem with Baron, IMO, and it led to things like "start a traditional center for four minutes of each half, yank him, and he never comes back in."
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

looks like a good back up for Cyril this year, and maybe more his senior year. Cyril is going to own the A10 this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago looks like a good back up for Cyril this year, and maybe more his senior year. Cyril is going to own the A10 this year.
What! Are you joking? He plays Small Forward. Not a PF and certainly not a C. He might be 6’7” (my guess is less) and he weighs 185 lbs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago looks like a good back up for Cyril this year, and maybe more his senior year. Cyril is going to own the A10 this year.
What! Are you joking? He plays Small Forward. Not a PF and certainly not a C. He might be 6’7” (my guess is less) and he weighs 185 lbs.
Right. He is a wing. A guy who can shoot the 3 ball with accuracy. He is not Langevine’s back up although he is an effective rebounder.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I dont understand the backup to Cyril talk either. This kid looks like a wing. If we are relying on him to replace Cyril we are in big trouble.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

If he played in division 1 and shot the 3 with the same accuracy 44.1 in 2017-18 and 42.8 in 2018-19.
That would put him in the top 20 in the country!! I'm not sure Jimmy B shot it much better than that!!
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

THEY STILL REALLY NEED TO GET A LEGITIMATE 5 TO TAKE CYRILS SLOT WHEN HE
GRADUATES. 6'9" + WOULD BE GREAT. LOOKS LIKE THAT'S NOT HAPPENING TIL 2020 NOW.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago THEY STILL REALLY NEED TO GET A LEGITIMATE 5 TO TAKE CYRILS SLOT WHEN HE
Right now there are two open scholarships for 2019-20 seasons and two Seniors graduating (Jeff & Cyril).
They aren’t finding a capable Center in the summer to add for the 19-20 season. There aren’t any left.
They only have one commitment (Elijah Wood) for next year for those four spots. The goal is to sign one big man for next year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago THEY STILL REALLY NEED TO GET A LEGITIMATE 5 TO TAKE CYRILS SLOT WHEN HE
Right now there are two open scholarships for 2019-20 seasons and two Seniors graduating (Jeff & Cyril).
They aren’t finding a capable Center in the summer to add for the 19-20 season. There aren’t any left.
They only have one commitment (Elijah Wood) for next year for those four spots. The goal is to sign one big man for next year.
Gentleman, I can promise you this, Cyril’s replacement will be on the roster by the end of 2020 summer. We have so much to sell a True Center. For one, being a 4 year starter. We will find our guy, just take a deep breath.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Gentleman, I can promise you this, Cyril’s replacement will be on the roster by the end of 2020 summer. We have so much to sell a True Center. For one, being a 4 year starter. We will find our guy, just take a deep breath.
Then it can't be a project if he's going to start right away. Even Cyril was a project . They need time develop. Some, like Cyril, work out. Others, like Tertsea, don't. Unless we attract a 4* type center, which is highly unlikely, it's going to be a crap shoot.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Unless you get early on a transfer or mid year transfer.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Then it can't be a project if he's going to start right away. Even Cyril was a project . They need time develop. Some, like Cyril, work out. Others, like Tertsea, don't. Unless we attract a 4* type center, which is highly unlikely, it's going to be a crap shoot.
I kind of assume that Harris is our "center" of the future, since at the college level, it seems like 4s and 5s are somewhat interchangeable. URI usually starts two big men, but I'm positive Cyril (and before him, Martin) played plenty of minutes with essentially some combination of four "traditional" guards, wings, small forwards, etc. When Cyril graduates, I think Harris moves into his spot as "heavy minutes big man," with the new recruit or Walker as the other "big man."
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago If he played in division 1 and shot the 3 with the same accuracy 44.1 in 2017-18 and 42.8 in 2018-19.
That would put him in the top 20 in the country!! I'm not sure Jimmy B shot it much better than that!!
If it translates to 35 percent then he'll likely be one of the best shooters on the team
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Harris isn't strong enough to play 5. They could get by for year maybe with Walker
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think DeVale will be a nice addition to the team. 99% confident he’s going to be a Ram.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think DeVale will be a nice addition to the team. 99% confident he’s going to be a Ram.
That is good news. He also had a 3.6 GPA so he seems to have matured academically.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

For the record, on the rhody roster harris is listed at 6'8 220 and Cyril 6' 8 225.

Harris is strong enough to play center against most of our competition. I'll hold my opinion of Walker for the time being.

I can also foresee situations where Tate would work and be able to take the opposing center outside on offense aka Jeff Kent

I think what you lose with Harris at center is shot blocking, not really a strength issue.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Harris should be a lot stronger this season....and healthier too.

We'll get a much clearer picture of what he's got this season.
0 x