'19 JUCO SF - Devale Johnson (URI ---> Kent State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 JUCO SF - Devale Johnson

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think DeVale will be a nice addition to the team. 99% confident he’s going to be a Ram.
I agree. An excellent addition. We need shooting proficiency to address our greatest weakness last season. I’ll be ecstatic if Johnson is on our roster this season.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m sorry for the conjecture about him playing “the 5” - we have done pretty well with a 6’6” center who we got away with because he could block shots and had an absurd motor on D. This kid has length, looks to be an elite shot blocker. No reason he can’t add some strength, get closer to 200 pounds and play the 4/5 position defensively and then step out and hit some threes. So much rather have that than a 6’9” stiff.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think DeVale will be a nice addition to the team. 99% confident he’s going to be a Ram.
I agree. An excellent addition. We need shooting proficiency to address our greatest weakness last season. I’ll be ecstatic if Johnson is on our roster this season.
So you are ecstatic about a juco who has low end college offers without much fanfare, but don’t like Wood who had offers from big time schools? You might be right, it is just funny how everyone perceives things differently. I just don’t see this guy getting much time or making any kind of impact. I hope that I am wrong.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
That is good news. He also had a 3.6 GPA so he seems to have matured academically.
Yeah, which can’t hurt. Cox found a shooter with length. I love it.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
So you are ecstatic about a juco who has low end college offers without much fanfare, but don’t like Wood who had offers from big time schools? You might be right, it is just funny how everyone perceives things differently. I just don’t see this guy getting much time or making any kind of impact. I hope that I am wrong.
Ramstock, while I understand the angle, this kid just put himself on the market not too long ago. And with what info WE do know, is that he can shoot. That is a weakness, and he will hopefully bolster our stat line there.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Ramstock, while I understand the angle, this kid just put himself on the market not too long ago. And with what info WE do know, is that he can shoot. That is a weakness, and he will hopefully bolster our stat line there.
I agree we need shooting, but Silverio was also a very good shooter when he arrived, but his game didn’t translate to this level especially on defense. I guess we see what happens. I just don’t see the juco level having produced much for us in the past at the level we are recruiting at. Hopefully he can become weapon from the three point line. We all know how bad we could use some shooting.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

BFC wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I hear a lot of people saying there is a logjam at his perceived position and we don’t need him...many people said the same thing about Stan Robinson. Yes he had a higher pedigree but plenty of folks were like with EC, Jarvis, Jared, Jeff etc we didn’t need another guard. He then ended up being a very key cog on 2 tourney teams. You take the best player available at this point in recruiting season, if this guy is that then I am all for taking him and let the chips fall where they may.
I will go out on a limb here any say that Devale Johnson is no Stan Robinson.
Stan Robinson was no Stan Robinson according to a lot of Kearney Blue posters when he was being recruited too.
Thank You BFC bc a lot of people have short term memory. People dismiss rankings as easily as they use them to justify their opinion. Bottom line is when we signed Stan many people said why and questioned how he would ever see the floor. The situation in late June is this, what's the alternative if we hold the scholly? This isn't the time of year to be particular about your need, that should have happened a while ago and it did, hence why we signed Sheppard. This is a best man available situation.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I agree we need shooting, but Silverio was also a very good shooter when he arrived, but his game didn’t translate to this level especially on defense. I guess we see what happens. I just don’t see the juco level having produced much for us in the past at the level we are recruiting at. Hopefully he can become weapon from the three point line. We all know how bad we could use some shooting.
Silverio was a good shooter when he played as well, but he was slow and lost on the floor. This kid has two things going for him, length and a shooting stroke. Let’s see if it translates.
1 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Earl Watson and Andre Berry both were good recent JC recruits
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

79RhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Earl Watson and Andre Berry both were good recent JC recruits
I recall a guy Xavier Munford
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Committed

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I’m sorry for the conjecture about him playing “the 5” - we have done pretty well with a 6’6” center who we got away with because he could block shots and had an absurd motor on D. This kid has length, looks to be an elite shot blocker. No reason he can’t add some strength, get closer to 200 pounds and play the 4/5 position defensively and then step out and hit some threes. So much rather have that than a 6’9” stiff.
I assume you mean Hassan right? I hope Devale ends up being that good, but one caveat I would add about the adding strength to play the 5 is that Hassan was a 17 year old kid when he got here, even younger then most freshman if I recall correctly, and Devale graduated high school 2 years ago. So they are definitely at two different points in their maturation.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Even Zagoria can't decide. He is a big man in the tweet and a wing in the article!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is the replacement for either Mading or Silverio. Definitely a plus upgrade.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This is the replacement for either Mading or Silverio. Definitely a plus upgrade.
Mading.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fyi, he goes by DJ.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I’m sorry for the conjecture about him playing “the 5” - we have done pretty well with a 6’6” center who we got away with because he could block shots and had an absurd motor on D. This kid has length, looks to be an elite shot blocker. No reason he can’t add some strength, get closer to 200 pounds and play the 4/5 position defensively and then step out and hit some threes. So much rather have that than a 6’9” stiff.
I assume you mean Hassan right? I hope Devale ends up being that good, but one caveat I would add about the adding strength to play the 5 is that Hassan was a 17 year old kid when he got here, even younger then most freshman if I recall correctly, and Devale graduated high school 2 years ago. So they are definitely at two different points in their maturation.
I agree on that. Maybe a better comparison is KI. Can play low on D, step out on offense. I think calling him a wing player gives a connotation of a player who isn’t going to play down low at all which from the little I have seen does not seem to be the case. Very good short blocker/rim protector with a good touch outside.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m going to go ahead and say this is good.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we got a good one.

Can shoot 3's, FT's, and block shots.

What's not to like?
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

At this point I'm not questioning recruits. We need to make the NCAAT next year.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The roster keeps getting deeper and deeper.

Now, for another guard for '20 please.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TJ
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
I agree on that. Maybe a better comparison is KI. Can play low on D, step out on offense. I think calling him a wing player gives a connotation of a player who isn’t going to play down low at all which from the little I have seen does not seem to be the case. Very good short blocker/rim protector with a good touch outside.
Maybe Johnson will become the stretch 4 we've been looking for. I'd sign up for that.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago TJ
TJ was the lead? Isn’t he is too inexperienced to recruit?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Excited about the potential depth and improved shooting of this team.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 JUCO SF - Devale Johnson (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I like this pic.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Welcome to the URI family DJ. There's going to be some serious competition for playing time this year.
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Shout out to the staff AND current players, who always gets props from the newly committed recruits by echoing the same sentiment like, 'because on my visit it felt like home and it was a tight–knit family environment".

Thank you Dan and thank you Coach Cox and staffs for continuing the 'Culture'.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Good add, I like it. As adam mentioned if DJ could bring a little stretch 4 to the table, even if in short spurts, that would be cool. I don't think he's going to have any problem keeping up on defense. I'm curious and optimistic, should be fun to watch how all the new and old pieces fit together. Good stuff. Also we can all start building our own personal under-informed narratives about TJ's chops as a recruiter/assistant :P
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

This brings in a possibility that maybe there is a redshirt plan for Toppin or .....?

Or maybe with all these 6’7 inch guys we can play a Syracuse type zone if the game calls f it

A lot more flexibility- nice to have a tall shooter with a couple of undersized guards
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Do we think this kid cracks the top 8 rotation?
I would assume Tate, Walker and Sheppard are ahead of him. No?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If Tate and Harris are as inconsistent as they were last season, then he’ll be in there.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

At the very least it's likely he is better now than both Long and Toppin, so we have improved the roster.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to URI Human Tarantula

Nice signing adds to the depth of the team
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago At the very least it's likely he is better now than both Long and Toppin, so we have improved the roster.
This is a great take PRT
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My arachnophobic wife isn’t thrilled with a player using “tarantula “ as a nickname. I think he’s a solid pickup presuming his 3 point shooting approaches his JC levels.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he shoots the 3 between 35-40% he'll be the best on the team, so there's that.

As for him being better now than Long and Toppin, not sure about that...maybe Long but I think Toppin is going to be a steal for us like his brother was for Dayton.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No one is redshirting.

The rotation question is a tough one.
Could they go with a 9 man rotation with everyone but Jeff and Cyril averaging around 20 minutes (7 players & 140 mins). For DJ to get regular rotation minutes I think one of the following has to happen: Fatts shoots poorly or Sheppard struggles, Martin gets minutes at SG, Tate gets most of his minutes at the 4.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago No one is redshirting.

Could they go with a 9 man rotation with everyone but Jeff and Cyril averaging around 20 minutes (7 players & 140 mins). For DJ to get regular rotation minutes I think one of the following has to happen: Fatts shoots poorly or Sheppard struggles, Martin gets minutes at SG, Tate gets most of his minutes at the 4.
Good problem to have, however it can result in roster turnover t the end of the season, someone will always be unhappy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget the 3 point line is changing. That could affect a lot of percentages.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago No one is redshirting.

Good problem to have, however it can result in roster turnover t the end of the season, someone will always be unhappy.
I think there will be more turnover for sure. We have Long, Topin, Tate, Johnson, maybe Hammond and Martin at pretty similar positions. Although they have different games there will be only so many minutes to go around. I think we will find that some of these guys are better than we thought and some of them aren’t as good as we thought which will lead to more transfers. I do hope that DJ is one that is better than I thought coming in because we need shooting more than anything else on this team-second being a center or big man.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think if he can defend and shoot the 3 consistently he could definitely steal some
minutes from people ranked above him in the pecking order. Once he is on the court,
if he gets on a run with 3's it will be tough to take him back out.
we were ranked 351 out of 351 in 3 point shooting last year @ 28.0%. We need
better shooting. if we shot 33% on 3's we probably would have won another 2 or 3 games.
At times it absolutely killed us last year. ( I know I'm Captain Obvious)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some thoughts on RamStock’s list. I agree but those players could be spread out across three positions. Hammond is a SG and not a SF so he gets eliminated from the list. The questions are - could Tate move to the 4, could Johnson play a stretch 4, could Martin see time at SG?

For this current season, I think Cox doesn’t want to rely on any of the Fr. He had no choice last year but it was a lesson learned and last year’s Fr came in higher rated and more prepared.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Some thoughts on RamStock’s list. I agree but those players could be spread out across three positions. Hammond is a SG and not a SF so he gets eliminated from the list. The questions are - could Tate move to the 4, could Johnson play a stretch 4, could Martin see time at SG?

For this current season, I think Cox doesn’t want to rely on any of the Fr. He had no choice last year but it was a lesson learned and last year’s Fr came in higher rated and more prepared.
Tate’s position is a tough one to figure out. I agree that Cox doesn’t want to have to rely on freshman, although I will say the experience that Harris, Martin and Tate should help their development this season. If Harris can get healthy and improve on his constant foul trouble last season could be very important for him. Do you think DJ can play the stretch 4 with his weight? He may have a lot of problems defensively.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Stuff happens, there will be minutes and you're never as deep as you think you are. Love the off-season, so many possibilities, so much potential. I like this....Topin and Long freshman, Walker and Harris sophomores, DJ junior and Cyril senior, hope this pans out the way it does in my head because it looks like a good spread of 4/5s across the classes.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

With everyone healthy I see a 9-man rotation with the three FR sitting and learning.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Supposedly Mekhi Long is a very good defensive player. He might see time just because of that.
1 x