Charlie O’s

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Charlie O’s

Unread post by section(105) »

.......is it done, over and out in the Point?......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Charlie O’s

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105, could be....I've been a couple of times in the last few months, and there's never anybody there.

Some of their taps were empty, and also there were items on their menu that they were out of.

Too bad, I enjoyed going there years ago. Of course Charlie doesn't own it anymore.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Charlie O’s was probably the longest lasting establishment on that corner for in recent local history......most the previous seasonal chowder houses failed.......Charlie O’s was great year round early on, after a Charlie left the biz, it appeared to slowly degrade in food quality, cleanliness etc......it never seemed to evolve as time passed.....it will be interesting what type of food/drink goes in there, if any.......the new Anchor Petes in Wakefield seem to be struggling......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Are they [Anchor Pete's} even open?

Went by there last week and they were closed, again.

Didn't Dan from Dan's Place in West Greenwich buy it?

Man, there were so many fun bars in Narragansett back in the day...now not so much. Of course that was before the DUI laws....

Now near Pt. Judith you basically have Georges and one last relic of old times in the Bon Vue…...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Charlie O’s was probably the longest lasting establishment on that corner for in recent local history......most the previous seasonal chowder houses failed.......Charlie O’s was great year round early on, after a Charlie left the biz, it appeared to slowly degrade in food quality, cleanliness etc......it never seemed to evolve as time passed.....it will be interesting what type of food/drink goes in there, if any.......the new Anchor Petes in Wakefield seem to be struggling......

Anchor Pete's is completely done.

Charlie O's building is still owned by Charlie. I haven't had the food at Charlie O's in probably 7-10 years but had been there once after a football game for a drink.

Chris Simon was running Charlie O's. It will be renovated and reopened, but we know how those things can go sometimes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Charlie O’s was probably the longest lasting establishment on that corner for in recent local history......most the previous seasonal chowder houses failed.......Charlie O’s was great year round early on, after a Charlie left the biz, it appeared to slowly degrade in food quality, cleanliness etc......it never seemed to evolve as time passed.....it will be interesting what type of food/drink goes in there, if any.......the new Anchor Petes in Wakefield seem to be struggling......

Charlie O's building is still owned by Charlie. I haven't had the food at Charlie O's in probably 7-10 years but had been there once after a football game for a drink.

Chris Simon was running Charlie O's. It will be renovated and reopened, but we know how those things can go sometimes.
.......with Anchor Petes apparently being done, maybe we can get a DQ in Wakefield......tell me that would not work?......Will be interesting to watch the Charlie O building reno.....Maybe Charlie will get back in the biz after some appearances at 210 and Georges?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago

.......with Anchor Petes apparently being done, maybe we can get a DQ in Wakefield......tell me that would not work?......Will be interesting to watch the Charlie O building reno.....Maybe Charlie will get back in the biz after some appearances at 210 and Georges?

I had heard quite some time ago that he was going to be going back to being the front of the house at Charlie O's, so only time will tell. I saw someone on Twitter ask about the Chucks' Buffalo Tenders and I said you can actually get the same ones (same recipe) at Chophouse since Charlie opened that place. In case anyone here also cares.

Anchor Pete's sincerely looked like the most unappetizing place of all time. The face on the sign? Come on. As far as DQ goes, I know Narragansett and SK TC's are hesitent to bring in chains. With Five Guys across the street I am sure there would be a lot of opposition from the surrounding neighborhoods especially since that Kingstown Rd traffic pattern is already a shitshow.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gansett nightlife is falling apart...

Rhody Joe’s, Clamjammers, Charlie O’s, Anchor Pete’s (what a terrible name) all done within recent years.
2 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Gansett nightlife is falling apart...

Rhody Joe’s, Clamjammers, Charlie O’s, Anchor Pete’s (what a terrible name) all done within recent years.
Let’s see... you are 100% correct.

For people spending $4k when all is said and done to rent a house here for a week in the summer there is zero night life. Trio shuts down by 10 even on a Friday in the summer. Not like their food is THAT great either.

George’s gets a Monday night crowd in the summer and that’s it (literally 18-40 y/o crowd which I am still a part of for the forseeable future thank god).

Take an Uber to Mist?

Two Ten sometimes has live music if that’s your thing.

Newport, if you know me you know I’m not down with the “Chad” red pant crowd. Not headed over there til October.

As much as I love CGH it’s best on a Saturday night in the summer, Friday was good up until I was like 28.

Pretty soon this town is going to be four storey empty houses of ppl who come here one weekend a summer. Glad my neighborhood can’t be built up.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Gansett nightlife is falling apart...

Let’s see... you are 100% correct.

For people spending $4k when all is said and done to rent a house here for a week in the summer there is zero night life. Trio shuts down by 10 even on a Friday in the summer. Not like their food is THAT great either.

George’s gets a Monday night crowd in the summer and that’s it (literally 18-40 y/o crowd which I am still a part of for the forseeable future thank god).

Take an Uber to Mist?

Two Ten sometimes has live music if that’s your thing.

Newport, if you know me you know I’m not down with the “Chad” red pant crowd. Not headed over there til October.

As much as I love CGH it’s best on a Saturday night in the summer, Friday was good up until I was like 28.

Pretty soon this town is going to be four storey empty houses of ppl who come here one weekend a summer. Glad my neighborhood can’t be built up.
So the Trolley bar hopping didn't take off?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I don’t believe so! Narragansett is going to become like Footloose soon.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Narragansett in Jimmie town isn't too bad. Pretty close as well.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is a sad day. Been open since 1990? It was always near capacity every school year on a weekend night. Quite shocking.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well I talked to Charlie at George's not too long ago, and he said he was thinking of taking it over again....if he does, maybe it will be good again…...maybe they will build a deck on the roof like everyone else seems to be doing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Every Friday - Saturday from September to May (excluding vacation weeks) that place was absolutely mobbed.

Mews and Avon Vue will definitely see an uptick in kids next school year.

Sad sad day...
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

You know, that place was packed Thursday to Sunday. Then they get the summer crowd once the school years out. How the F did they close? Mews is great, but totally different side of town. Maybe Bon View becomes a Thursday to Sunday place now. But what will happen to ol' chucks lot?
0 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago You know, that place was packed Thursday to Sunday. Then they get the summer crowd once the school years out. How the F did they close? Mews is great, but totally different side of town. Maybe Bon View becomes a Thursday to Sunday place now. But what will happen to ol' chucks lot?

A ton of money was owed to the liquor distributors (amount owed goes against the liquor license).

Here's an article on the closing but doesn't state the above reason as part of the closure.

http://www.independentri.com/news/artic ... 64116.html

Bon Vue is also pretty much it as far as college bars go in this town now. Everything else is gone.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like only Charlie S. can save it by buying it back?

Otherwise it's over.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like only Charlie S. can save it by buying it back?

Otherwise it's over.

As far as I know, that's been the plan in the works. Looks like the property last transferred ownership in 2012 to KPS Properties per the Tax Assessor Database. Would be a complete shame to not reopen it. I think someone here as well as someone I follow on social media said something along the lines of "please no condos". Narragansett doesn't need any more condos. Or people from CT.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said before, put a deck on the top floor...would be a great view I think.....build it, and they will come.

I like Simon, but you could tell the place was on a downward spiral for quite a while.

They just kept cutting corners until there was nothing left.

The only thing they did lately was fix a portion of the ceiling above the bar...but the bar surface itself was gross.....
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like only Charlie S. can save it by buying it back?

Otherwise it's over.

As far as I know, that's been the plan in the works. Looks like the property last transferred ownership in 2012 to KPS Properties per the Tax Assessor Database. Would be a complete shame to not reopen it. I think someone here as well as someone I follow on social media said something along the lines of "please no condos". Narragansett doesn't need any more condos. Or people from CT.
People in that area don't want condos or a hotel... but they also fought tooth and nail against like, Iggy's moving to a bigger spot as well. So, I'm assuming it'll stay as a restaurant, because otherwise you'd have a hell of a fight trying to change the zoning. I'm sure there will be property sales or lease opportunities galore for the people who own the property. (I can't remember the exact number, but when I was a reporter in Gansett about 5 years ago, I believe 95 to 97 percent of the "buildable" land had structures on it.)
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago

Otherwise it's over.

People in that area don't want condos or a hotel... but they also fought tooth and nail against like, Iggy's moving to a bigger spot as well. So, I'm assuming it'll stay as a restaurant, because otherwise you'd have a hell of a fight trying to change the zoning. I'm sure there will be property sales or lease opportunities galore for the people who own the property. (I can't remember the exact number, but when I was a reporter in Gansett about 5 years ago, I believe 95 to 97 percent of the "buildable" land had structures on it.)
They don’t call it Condogansett for nothing!
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Maybe they'd be able to pay their liquor vendors if Mr. Simon didn't give it all away to every pretty girl that walked in the place? If there is anything Bar Rescue has taught me it's that you need to be able to attract female patrons without giving away booze. But he wasn't just trying to attract women so that the men will show up, he was using his liquor supply to try and sleep with the women. Hell, I've heard of him showing up to house parties with cases of booze from the restaurant. Using your business as a means to hook up with college girls (and not make money) seems like a poor business model.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Maybe they'd be able to pay their liquor vendors if Mr. Simon didn't give it all away to every pretty girl that walked in the place? If there is anything Bar Rescue has taught me it's that you need to be able to attract female patrons without giving away booze. But he wasn't just trying to attract women so that the men will show up, he was using his liquor supply to try and sleep with the women. Hell, I've heard of him showing up to house parties with cases of booze from the restaurant. Using your business as a means to hook up with college girls (and not make money) seems like a poor business model.
+1000 Simon didn’t know how to run a business.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Maybe they'd be able to pay their liquor vendors if Mr. Simon didn't give it all away to every pretty girl that walked in the place? If there is anything Bar Rescue has taught me it's that you need to be able to attract female patrons without giving away booze. But he wasn't just trying to attract women so that the men will show up, he was using his liquor supply to try and sleep with the women. Hell, I've heard of him showing up to house parties with cases of booze from the restaurant. Using your business as a means to hook up with college girls (and not make money) seems like a poor business model.

HAH!!!! Facts on facts. He's even too old for me IMO and I graduated college some time ago. I noticed 3 out of 4 of the bar's IG stories would be of him in a Boomerang with a ton of girls. I always found it strange.

Incredibly poor business model.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this blows !

i used to go there a lot when i was a young pup !
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......whatever becomes of the place and whomever puts some skin in the next game better be aware of the concept that they market......cause the risk of trying to balance the two distinct local seasons is huge.......in his stints at both 210 and George’s, Charlie S probably has a keen eye on the market.......maybe a spill over parking lot for the BI Ferry with a shuttle......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think he also managed Casey's into the ground if my memory is correct.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Otherwise it's over.

Maybe they can turn it into a library.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

Yoooooo!!! 😂😂😂

I am laughing hysterically right now.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I think he also managed Casey's into the ground if my memory is correct.
I miss Casey’s to this day. Not for ambiance or food. Just memories.

Had my 21st birthday there (it was a Tuesday wing night in March)

My soccer coach used to take my team there when I was 11/12. Miss those waffle fries.

Casey’s nachos and wings > everything else at Chophouse

I don’t know what years Charlie was involved with Casey’s unless I am having a severe brain fart, but I remember he was on board when Chophouse first opened.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Otherwise it's over.

Easy...easy there.... ;)
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

Man, that's a lovely fiasco as well. I can't, but also can believe, that that still isn't built, even though I haven't lived there for about five years now. Its nuts to me because I would go to the library on like, random Tuesday nights in the summer and in the winter, and it would be jam-packed with people. The process in which they bought and then sold the land from Gilbane was crazy too, especially since it was brutally unpopular.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Otherwise it's over.

Easy...easy there.... ;)
I should have prefaced that I don’t include you in that group. 😂
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

West Kingston homeowner. 208's not from CT anymore!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i have great memories of st patrick's day drinking at Casey's !
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

http://www.independentri.com/news/artic ... a790f.html

Headline says “large debts”, article states $5.9mil. That’s not LARGE that’s MASSIVE.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Damn. Simon took out a $1.6 million dollar loan in 2016. Absolutely nothing was done to the place. Seems pretty shaky to me.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Lol wicked shady situation.
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Shady and very sad.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It looks like he filed for Chapter 7 to prevent his house from being foreclosed on. The auction date was 2 days after the filing date.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

$1.3M in assets compared to $6M in liabilities is truly a special level of insolvency reserved for the dumbest of business owners. The only ways that could happen would be financial institutions negligently extending him credit or the used of less than truthful financial statements to obtain that financing. I don't want to believe that family and friends would (or could) enable him to that extent and there aren't enough vendors to rack up that much debt.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago $1.3M in assets compared to $6M in liabilities is truly a special level of insolvency reserved for the dumbest of business owners. The only ways that could happen would be financial institutions negligently extending him credit or the used of less than truthful financial statements to obtain that financing. I don't want to believe that family and friends would (or could) enable him to that extent and there aren't enough vendors to rack up that much debt.
Who was running the bank that foolishly made the loans? Joe Mollicone?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago $1.3M in assets compared to $6M in liabilities is truly a special level of insolvency reserved for the dumbest of business owners. The only ways that could happen would be financial institutions negligently extending him credit or the used of less than truthful financial statements to obtain that financing. I don't want to believe that family and friends would (or could) enable him to that extent and there aren't enough vendors to rack up that much debt.
Who was running the bank that foolishly made the loans? Joe Mollicone?
Joe Mollicone :lol: :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It must be chapter 11, business bankruptcy...…isn't chapter 7 personal?

Anyway how in the world was he able to even stay in business as long as he did, being 4.6 million in the hole?

He must have been taking out new loans to help pay off old loans...….that usually doesn't end well.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big question is who in the world approved the loans???
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago It must be chapter 11, business bankruptcy...…isn't chapter 7 personal?

Anyway how in the world was he able to even stay in business as long as he did, being 4.6 million in the hole?

He must have been taking out new loans to help pay off old loans...….that usually doesn't end well.
No Chapter 11 is reorganization. Chapter 7 is liquidation.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I believe I read he had somewhere between 50-99 creditors. I can't even fathom that.

I know that it's going to be reopened eventaully, but chances are it won't be done in time for the new school year.

Anchor Pete's that was in action for about .5 seconds is reopening as Cantina del Rio, and that seems to be on track to open late in the summer. I can't imagine it drawing a college crowd since the other one is on Rt 2 in Warwick.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

This sounds like a Bar Rescue episode
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago This sounds like a Bar Rescue episode