The PGA

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The PGA

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Koepka.....what a beast....he might win 10 majors the way he's playing....330 down the middle most of the time and he can putt.

Tiger should be thankful that guy missed a few makeable putts on Sunday at the Masters.

We could be looking at another early 2000's Tiger-like domination of the majors.

Having said that, Tiger has a shot at Pebble Beach at the Open....the only major BK might struggle to win in the future is the British.

They are all playing for 2nd this weekend.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: The PGA

Unread post by reef »

Yeah bone kid is a stud looking for his 4th major and dominating the last couple years
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well it got interesting there for a while until Johnson faded at the end.

With the wind blowing that course was beyond brutal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Koepka says his goal is 10 majors may have a shot only age 29
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I love Koepka and I'm happy he won. Kid is a stud. Beyond that, not a lot to say about the PGA. I wouldn't have even dropped into this thread at all, but one of our posters and fellow-Rhody fan's tweet was used in this USA Today article bashing CBS for airing the DJ interview while Koepka was trying to close out the tournament on the 18th hole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/f ... /39495721/

By the way, I played Bethpage in 2009 on the last day it was open before the U.S. Open was played there. The place was setup for the Open (rough was grown out, greens were stimping off the charts, fairways were narrowed), and we played it from the tips. At the time, I was a four handicap and I shot a 99 - and it was one of the best rounds of golf I've ever played. Almost impossible to explain just how difficult these courses are the way they set them up for majors. Most amateur golfers - even good ones - cannot make pars at these courses where you have forced carries of 250+ yards off the tee and the fairways are 25 yards wide, the rough is six inches high and you cannot stop the ball on the green. I made a miracle four on the 18th to break 100, and it was one of the best feelings of my life, so I was relating to Brooks coming up that hole and making par to win yesterday.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Can you expound on your Brooks love? As you say, he's an outstanding golfer and young, so he should be at the top of leaderboards for a while. I'd like to come around on him with all that in mind, but he appears to have the personality of a wet cardboard box and doesn't appear to even really enjoy golfing.

Your experience at Bethpage is interesting. I'm so putrid (never broken a 100) that I've always thought there was a chance that I could play about as crappy at any of those courses as I do at local ones. Way right into the woods is way right into the woods at any course after all
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think Koepka is coming out of his shell a little bit, but if we are being super honest even Tiger isn’t the most colorful personality - most of it is what we project onto him because of what he does on the course. Maybe I was a little loose with “love” but I think he has a chance to be a generational talent. The number of guys who have won 4 majors post-WWII is already short, and if it’s guys who’ve won 4 in such a compressed timespan you can count them on one hand. And he is competing even when he’s not winning (in addition to 4 wins, has a T2, T6, T11 and T13 in the last 9 majors). I like watching once-in-a-generation guys win. And if DJ had won his second yesterday you’d have to take him more seriously as a legit hall-of-fame caliber golfer and who wants to do that?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DJ is another of those guys with great talent, but something seems to be missing when it comes to the majors.

Same for someone like Rickie Fowler who is 0-fer so far in majors and he's about the same age as Koepka.

Fowler imo seems to be too busy making commercials instead of working on his game.

Guess he won't complain too much...thanks to Arnie 50 years ago, and Tiger he's making huge money finishing top 10 most of the time.

Speaking of Arnie, as I was watching Brooks starting to choke, I remembered back in 1966 I watched my idol Palmer choke away a 7 stroke lead in the US Open over the last 9 holes. That was such a painful memory I've never forgotten it. Yes Palmer won a lot, but his 4 playoff losses in US Opens kept him from having a much higher win total in majors.

At least BK righted the ship [with some help from Johnson, who knows a thing or 2 about gagging] and won.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fowler has the mantle now best to never win a major

Hard to believe DJ only has 1

If Koepka gets another 1 or 2 by end of 2020 then 10 is sure realistic
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It will be interesting to see how the PGA handles the coronavirus issue. As of an hour ago they're proceeding with all of their tournaments but starting tomorrow and for the next three weeks they won't have any fans live. They're uniquely positioned to be able to keep playing since they're outdoors and everyone can practice social distancing and frankly I think watching will be more enjoyable without the fans. I'm so tired of guys screaming get in the hole on a par 5 tee shot
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wouldn’t cancel just for PR reasons. If you can safely hold the tournament, you should. If you can’t, you shouldn’t. I think the public will appreciate having distractions and small doses of normalcy (like sports on TV) as this thing gets worse and worse and our lives are more and more confined to our homes.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's definitely a challenging PR battle but if they can keep the players safe there's something to being the only show going. I'm glad I don't have these decisions
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the PGA will play on, at least for this weekend.

Nascar is too, without fans....but I think they are more likely to cancel, seeing how many support personnel are around the drivers every weekend.

Multiple people there are likely to get sick.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've got to have some live sports to watch.....since I will be staying home a lot more, it gets real old quick watching movie reruns and South Park.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So glad I enjoyed Sawgrass today...

Done.

:(

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2020/03 ... vents.html
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I've got to have some live sports to watch.....since I will be staying home a lot more, it gets real old quick watching movie reruns and South Park.
Fire up some ESPN Classic because that’s about all you’re going to get for a while!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any idea about the Masters ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At this point it’s hard to see how they’ll play it, and even if they do nobody in the field will have played a competitive round in a month. But they have not canceled it yet - I think they canceled up thru the first weekend in April.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Correct, The Masters is now the next scheduled event to be played
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Just coming here to post that. Unbelievable.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No big deal. I just finally got tickets through the lottery after 15 years of trying. Excuse me while I go break some stuff!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That sucks! Hopefully you'll be able to go whenever they do hold it
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Adam - I’d guess that they will eventually play the tournament. Definitely sucks, though.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Adam - I’d guess that they will eventually play the tournament. Definitely sucks, though.
Yeah for sure, I'm assuming the tickets will still be good for whenever they do play it.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Speculation is September or October after the Tour schedule ends so they don't bump out another tournament but take that with all the grains of salt. If they don't play this year I have to imagine they'll just let you use the tickets next year
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago No big deal. I just finally got tickets through the lottery after 15 years of trying. Excuse me while I go break some stuff!
Gosh Adam that stinks!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I'm hoping if they don't play everything just basically rolls over to 2021. Obviously its a small thing in the grand scheme, but it's definitely a bucket list item. We'll see what happens!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This doesn't relate to the Masters, but those leagues that have suspended play such as the NBA, are dreaming if they think they are going to resume play in 30 days. NHL, NBA, soccer, and others etc. will probably have to cancel the remainder of their seasons.

From all that I'm reading and hearing, this virus won't run it's course for at least 3 months.

So everything that's shut down, will remain that way for quite a while.

The only major sport that won't be impacted that severely will be the NFL.

Sports like Nascar, golf, and MLB will have much shortened seasons. by as much as half or more.

Even horse racing, which is still running except for fans, will shut down as soon as jockeys and barn staff get sick.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago No big deal. I just finally got tickets through the lottery after 15 years of trying. Excuse me while I go break some stuff!
The Masters week is now November 9th-15th. Hopefully you can still make it!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here is the breakdown of everything in the golf world with a link to new dates:

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/04/06 ... virus.html

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

As of now play is scheduled to resume Memorial Day weekend. The Hartford tournament is still scheduled and hasn't had a date change. The Norton tournament is still scheduled and has been pushed back a week
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I've got to have some live sports to watch.....since I will be staying home a lot more, it gets real old quick watching movie reruns and South Park.
Fire up some ESPN Classic because that’s about all you’re going to get for a while!
Ask and ye shall receive. Wednesday through Friday ESPN and ESPN 2 will have the final rounds of the 86, 97, 05, 12, and 13 Masters along with the 2018 Par 3 contest:

Saturday CBS will have the final round of the 04 tournament and Sunday the final round of last year's tournament:

And here is the YouTube playlist of the final rounds from 1968 to 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3ZckGzGDdl
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
The Masters week is now November 9th-15th. Hopefully you can still make it!
Just re-booked my hotel!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean this is very weird but it’s also going to be awesome when we get to November assuming that this actually goes off.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......US Senior Mens Open, cancelled, refunds coming.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Down goes one of my Christmas presents. Takes some of the guilt away from ordering two new Vokey wedges last week.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who would have thought the Masters could conflict with a URI game ??
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Football hosts William & Mary that weekend
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Anyone watching the RBC Open this weekend from Hilton Head?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Anyone watching the RBC Open this weekend from Hilton Head?
Can't, weather's too nice. Happy Father's Day!
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Anyone watching the RBC Open this weekend from Hilton Head?
Can't, weather's too nice. Happy Father's Day!
Happy Father's Day to you also! Enjoy the time outdoors. 8-)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I watched a good amount on Thursday and Friday but not much on the weekend. I will say that Harbor Town is definitely a bucket list course for me
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Liked it watched a lot Thursday not so much Friday taped Saturday never got to it...

Saw most of the post rain delay action yesterday evening. Man that was some high level iron play. Multiple players just firing lasers.

Super stuff!!
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Simpson came out of nowhere to win. It was pretty impressive.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

25-1 to win the tournament nice job Webb Simpson
1 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Tiger barely makes the cut to stay alive for the weekend at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin, OH. The leaders are at -9 before play begins today. Looks like he's not going to make a run.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was really happy to see Max Homa win yesterday, he seems like a really cool, down to Earth guy based on the stuff he's done with No Laying Up and I can't remember the last time I've seen a golfer that emotional in the post round interview. It's amazing how bad the PGA is at developing their golfers into interesting people but then a podcast like No Laying Up can take a fairly pedestrian pro and make them someone you cheer for.

On the other end of the playoff, why is Tony Finau so bad at closing? The king of second place did it again
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

^Thanks for this. I haven't watched any golf this year. I usually don't tune in until The Masters.

Finau has been close numerous times. I think he will be able to close the deal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Xander S gonna breakthrough with a major this year
0 x