Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Does anyone know where the assistant posting stands? Is their an opening or has Coach Carroll improved enough health wise that he may be back?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It appears there will be a new assistant coach. They have to wait until Carroll’s contract is over to officially hire someone. I believe that is July 1st.
Plenty of interest.
TJ was recruiting as the 3rd assistant on the road.
The Quiet Period (contact only on college’s campus) starts Friday followed by the Dead Period (no in person contact) and then another Quiet Period. This runs from May 3 - June 12. Plenty of time for Cox to interview candidates.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

When is the Lively Noisy period?
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kudos to anyone who can keep the recruiting rules straight.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Kudos to anyone who can keep the recruiting rules straight.
I have to keep referring back to the Recruiting Calendar

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligib ... lendar.pdf
1 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Any word on how Coach Carroll is doing health wise.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This would be a good target for Rhody. He coached St Johns during the games this past year.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

raminwarwick wrote: 5 years ago Any word on how Coach Carroll is doing health wise.
No, and I do not see that there will be any sort of public announcement.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Usually around this team any new addition to the staff would be on campus even though no official announcement will be made until the start of the new FY ...
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Usually around this team any new addition to the staff would be on campus even though no official announcement will be made until the start of the new FY ...
I remember that happened with Sutton last year
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Cox is interviewing finalist in next 7 days. I hope they announce a new assistant for June 1st.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I think Cox is interviewing finalist in next 7 days. I hope they announce a new assistant for June 1st.
They’re going to have to hurry.

Did St. Jean end up anywhere yet?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder if Cox has been in Thorr's ear about the assistant salaries?

We pay dirt cheap compared to the top of our own conference.

I've been saying this for years...you get what you pay for. If URI wants to hang with the big dogs of the A10 on a consistent basis, then they have to pay their staff competitively with them.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I understand the sensitive nature of the specifics of all this, but last year the staff was in place by May 30th, even if it couldn’t be officially announced until July.

Head coaches always need their assistants. Hurley knew it, Cox knows it, and both will always push for more financial compensation for them. The salary pool is split three ways and not evenly. The lesser the money, the quicker a guy may be to jump at another opportunity. I thought Sutton was great on the bench, especially as the season progressed, and Ty’s proven himself to be a very good recruiter.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I understand the sensitive nature of the specifics of all this, but last year the staff was in place by May 30th, even if it couldn’t be officially announced until July.

Head coaches always need their assistants. Hurley knew it, Cox knows it, and both will always push for more financial compensation for them. The salary pool is split three ways and not evenly. The lesser the money, the quicker a guy may be to jump at another opportunity. I thought Sutton was great on the bench, especially as the season progressed, and Ty’s proven himself to be a very good recruiter.
Different situation this year has prevented the new assistant from starting early. My guess is it relates to his compensation from the school he was with last year.

I believe Carroll officially started in June last year (I looked back and it was announced May 17th). I know Sutton was on campus in June but didn’t officially start until July 1st.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I understand the sensitive nature of the specifics of all this, but last year the staff was in place by May 30th, even if it couldn’t be officially announced until July.

Different situation this year has prevented the new assistant from starting early. My guess is it relates to his compensation from the school he was with last year.

I believe Carroll officially started in June last year (I looked back and it was announced May 17th). I know Sutton was on campus in June but didn’t officially start until July 1st.
Yeah, I’m not complaining, just bored by relative lack of basketball news. In the meantime, any experience TJ is getting is good for him in the end.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I like TJ a lot but he will probably have to get his first assistant job by leaving URI. I understand but wish it wasn’t the case.
If you look back at last year’s recruiting for ‘19s it wasn’t a success. They missed on their top 3 targets and lost another recruit before he played a game. Was any of that related to the reduced staff for several months last Spring? It’s so competitive you would think anything but a full staff putting in 100% is a disadvantage. Is URI at a disadvantaged with the 20’s & 21’s or in player development being short one on the staff now?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I like TJ a lot but he will probably have to get his first assistant job by leaving URI. I understand but wish it wasn’t the case.
If you look back at last year’s recruiting for ‘19s it wasn’t a success. They missed on their top 3 targets and lost another recruit before he played a game. Was any of that related to the reduced staff for several months last Spring? It’s so competitive you would think anything but a full staff putting in 100% is a disadvantage. Is URI at a disadvantaged with the 20’s & 21’s or in player development being short one on the staff now?
Maybe? It’s a worthy discussion, but I don’t know. Other staffs faced similar turnover or uncertainty and did better, but I’m sure others faired less well. Cox maintained strong ties to some of those 19 guys, it just didn’t work out. I think there’s less of an effect for the 20 and 21 guys. The truth for all coaches is that their time is valuable and there’s never enough of it. Recruiting takes a ton of energy, and you also have to be tuned in to your guys still on campus. Since the Bona game ended, Cox has been clear when talking about how parts of the job continue to evolve for him and how there are still firsts, even a year plus in. Honestly, that’s the kind of stuff I like to hear from any coach. No one’s above learning.The ideal is to be fully staffed, 12 months a year. It’s hopeful and probably likely they’ll have that luxury for 19-20 and the following off-season.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hire this guy. Assistant Coach DeAndre Haynes from Michigan. Howard flushed him yesterday.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hoping Assistant Coaching gets cleared up in the next 10 days.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I’m not complaining, just bored by relative lack of basketball news. In the meantime, any experience TJ is getting is good for him in the end.

Key transition point for the program at his time
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Need to find a strong recruiter and another with a track record of player development.

Pretty sure Cox has a replacement for Carroll already.

Boswell's replacement search is ongoing.

The timing is critical for sure.

I hope Thorr finally loosens the purse strings. Quality assistants don't come cheap.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Boswell is gone?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Need to find a strong recruiter and another with a track record of player development.

I hope Thorr finally loosens the purse strings. Quality assistants don't come cheap.
Haha! I like how you not so discreetly slid the not-so-public knowledge of that in there.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Does TJ get a shot?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Does TJ get a shot?
Absolutely....NOT.

Love TJ, but can’t afford the inexperience with a second year HC.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't know who they are looking at, but with 2 openings now, I would give TJ at least a chance...….you have to start somewhere, and TJ's already had a taste of what it takes to be an assistant due to Carroll leaving.

Cox right now is wearing several hats....running the program including most of the recruiting, and interviewing/hiring 2 assistants....he's got a LOT on his plate.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Need to find a strong recruiter and another with a track record of player development.

Haha! I like how you not so discreetly slid the not-so-public knowledge of that in there.
When the guy himself leaves enough public hints at what the situation is, it’s probably ok to put it out there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago

Being somewhat cynical, there is also the fear that URI goes the other route and hires less experienced replacements and pays them less to save some money.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

:) Ok, Preston Murphy anyone?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Boswell talking publicly about issues was not a good look.

Carr went that route, and look what it got him.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Where did he speak publicly?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Boswell talking publicly about issues was not a good look.

It almost never ends well for guys like that. Will only serve to haunt him if there is no trust.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

Being somewhat cynical, there is also the fear that URI goes the other route and hires less experienced replacements and pays them less to save some money.
That isn’t going to happen. There is an agreed upon assistants salary pool. Ty was the lowest paid of the three. No way Thorr is going to Cox and suggesting a reduction in the existing pool. Thorr has stated that he would take Cox’s input on areas for additional spending.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Boswell talking publicly about issues was not a good look.

What public issues did Boswell talk about?
Are you referring to Ace’s comment?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What public issues did Boswell talk about?
Are you referring to Ace’s comment?
Yeah, I definitely did not say he talked publicly. He hasn’t done anything wrong since it went down, just living his life.

People try and take sides so early and easily.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I didn’t know if Rambone had additional information regarding comments by Ty.
The only thing I have seen publicly (that Ace was referring to) was that Ty posted a picture on his IG story with Terrence Clarke and others from Expressions in LA. This would’ve been a clear recruiting violation (Quiet Period) if he was still on the coaching staff. He was no longer on the staff. He left last week.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

When the guy himself leaves enough public hints at what the situation is, it’s probably ok to put it out there.
I’m guessing your referring to his IG posts being in Cali during the dead period. Looks like he trying to latch back on to Terrence Clarke and see how far it’ll take him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t know if Rambone had additional information regarding comments by Ty.
The only thing I have seen publicly (that Ace was referring to) was that Ty posted a picture on his IG story with Terrence Clarke and others from Expressions in LA. This would’ve been a clear recruiting violation (Quiet Period) if he was still on the coaching staff. He was no longer on the staff. He left last week.
Also, I’m sure he and the team have known now for weeks, (knock on wood) no transfer talk yet. Dana would be the only one with close ties to Ty, and it appeared he was here with the team celebratingTJ’s Birthday yesterday.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I’m guessing your referring to his IG posts being in Cali during the dead period. Looks like he trying to latch back on to Terrence Clarke and see how far it’ll take him.
I don’t think that is fair. He was in LA trying to network. He was in the picture with the person who runs the Expressions program. When you are out of a job you network with your connections to try to get interviews etc. I am sure this is a trying time for him. It can be difficult when you unexpectedly lose your job.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think that is fair. He was in LA trying to network. He was in the picture with the person who runs the Expressions program. When you are out of a job you network with your connections to try to get interviews etc. I am sure this is a trying time for him. It can be difficult when you unexpectedly lose your job.
I didn’t mean it in that way. I meant it more in the way you typed it. You’re right it was Poorly worded.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hoping it's not an NCAA violation
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Only thing I had heard about comments by Boswell, was about his wanting more money.....if he was going around talking about that, it could be a problem with his bosses.

Now I said IF....maybe he wasn't, but that's what I had heard.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Hoping it's not an NCAA violation
No concerns there.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Let's not forget that Ty had one strike against him so Thorr was not going to forgive another misstep
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess he's technically still employed until June 30?

Anyway, whatever happened in LA was after he was told he was done here.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I guess he's technically still employed until June 30?

Anyway, whatever happened in LA was after he was told he was done here.
No, contracts were up June 1.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Let's not forget that Ty had one strike against him so Thorr was not going to forgive another misstep
Again, why I state, the school will never release the info publicly. It’s probably best most don’t know why...let’s just move forward.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was strike 1 the fight at the concert at the RC?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t know if Rambone had additional information regarding comments by Ty.
Also, I’m sure he and the team have known now for weeks, (knock on wood) no transfer talk yet. Dana would be the only one with close ties to Ty, and it appeared he was here with the team celebratingTJ’s Birthday yesterday.
He was reportedly lead on Toppin.
0 x