UMASS Basketball news

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

UMASS Basketball news

Unread post by ramster »

From Kevin Mac Projo Article.......

The knock against Pipkins is that he’s always put up big numbers for losing teams. Despite rallying from a 20-point deficit and winning at Providence in December, UMass finished a disappointing 11-21 this year. He assisted on 35.6 percent of his team’s field goals, 21st in the country. However, he shot just 28 percent from the 3-point line, down from 42 percent in 2018.

Personally Pipkins never impressed me much, except those times when he got hot - could be a streaky shooter.
Surprised PC would go for a 28% 3 point shooter when shooting proficiency was an issue for them this season.
https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... w-im-friar

Future for UMASS could be good as UMASS is adding some good players to some already good returnees

Keon Clergeot played well last season - interesting that McCall was recruiting him even back in his Florida days
Last game of season Clergeot went 5-10 on 3FGs for 25 points. He could have a big year next season.
https://www.gazettenet.com/BLOG-Memphis ... am-9998170

TJ Weeks just signed and was on campus at the same time last week with Tre Mitchell. If UMASS lands Mitchell they will be the only A10 team landing a ESPN Top 100 player
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: UMASS news

Unread post by TruePoint »

UMass is going to stink again, BUT if there was an A10 3-on-3 tournament they could be pretty dangerous in that in a few years.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Disagree, I think McCall is an up and coming HC that is forming his roster from what was left behind
I think all of the departures were not going to hurt the team, in fact opened up space for future options

Very young team but with talented young players in Clergeot, Chatman, Diallo
Incoming Freshmen have good potential. Pipeline to Woodstock Academy in the making
Getting Tre Mitchell would obviously be big news for UMASS and for the A10 to land a player of his caliber. Should know very soon.

Returning Players with Current Year
Keon Clergeot - Likely Starter - scored 25 points in last game of season on 5-10 shooting on 3FGs. Transfer to UMASS from Memphis
Carl Pierre - Soph - Likely Starter
Sy Chatman - Freshman - Likely Starter
Samba Diallo - Freshman - Likely Starter
Djery Baptiste - Grad Student
Jonathan Laurent - Junior
Khalea Turner-Morris - Soph
Randall West - Junior

Incoming Freshmen
Buggs III- from Putnam Science Academy - ranked #27 NERR Rankings
Preston Santos - from RI and Woodstock Academy - ranked #29 NERR Rankings
Jalen Thomas-6'10" Center from Michigan
TJ Weeks - from Warwick and Woodstock Academy - ranked #61 NERR Rankings - played well in Post Season Tournaments and late in season

Potential Incoming Freshmen
Tre Mitchell- From Woodstock Academy. #6 in NERR Rankings, #73 ESPN Top 100. Was on Campus last week with TJ Weeks, his teammate from Woodstock Academy along with Preston Santos
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... e-mitchell

Departing Players
Wood
Holloway
Pipkins - would not have started next year and transferred to PC where he will likely start
McLean
Hayward
Cobb
Franklin
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They might be good in a couple of years.

Not only young but an entirely new staff besides McCall.

I'm also hearing they want in to the AAC.

Could happen eventually if a couple programs leave that conference....also both football and basketball will have to get better to be considered.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago They might be good in a couple of years.

Could happen eventually if a couple programs leave that conference....also both football and basketball will have to get better to be considered.
The attraction to the AAC is that it obviously has football but another benefit is old rivals such as UConn and Temple are members. The problem is however that UConn will never let UMass into the league while it is a member. The paradox is that if UMass gets into the AAC, it will be due to UConn leaving it which then makes the league far less attractive to UMass.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago They might be good in a couple of years.
It's only McCall's 3rd year upcoming. I like the moves he made with the Coaching Staff. He needs an improved 3rd year
I like the move to let Pipkins go. He was not going to start anyway. Free up another spot on the roster.

You have to be ready when the Conference Opportunity presents itself. Never know the timing.
UMASS in the AAC would be a good move for them
Not sure why couldn't allow UMASS into the AAC. Sounds like a typical Dave Gavitt philosophy.
UCONN and UMASS played this year and will play again this fall at Amherst on October 26th.

I think the regional and historical rivalries need to make a comeback in College Sports.
Seems to me UCONN and UMASS in the AAC would be a plus for both schools and not a minus

But I prefer UMASS in the A10 anyway for the Basketball Rivalry with URI. Unfortunate that New England Basketball got divided up into all of these different conferences. Thanks to Dave G.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If UMass where to go to the AAC, I do home they would keep a home and home schedule with us each year. Would be good for both, especially if UMass got better.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago If UMass where to go to the AAC, I do home they would keep a home and home schedule with us each year. Would be good for both, especially if UMass got better.
You can forget about a H&H. With only 11-13 games in the OOC, neither program is going to want to tie up two games each season. If they play, it would be just once per year rotating home and away.

I don't think we have to worry about UMass leaving the A-10 for some time. While they may want into the AAC, you have to be invited and I don't get the feeling its members are pining for UMass. In addition to the UConn problem, the AAC is now centered from Florida to Oklahoma/Kansas. I am not so sure the other members would want another northeast school with a really bad football program that plays in a substandard stadium with a small fanbase. A bad basketball program that has just recorded its fourth straight losing season and averages just 2,792 doesn't strengthen their cause. The odds are probably better that UMass no longer plays football at the FBS level than becoming a full AAC member.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm in agreement with Ramster... I think McCall will eventually turn things around. The question is, how long of a leash will UMass give him? I'm guessing they'll finish in or near the bottom four again next season. What will they need to see from him in 2020-21 to keep him on board?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago I'm in agreement with Ramster... I think McCall will eventually turn things around. The question is, how long of a leash will UMass give him? I'm guessing they'll finish in or near the bottom four again next season. What will they need to see from him in 2020-21 to keep him on board?
Only time will tell. If the first two years of his tenure are however any indicator, things don't bode well for the future.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If UCF and any other teams from the AAC jump to a power five conference as a result of the new TV contracts beginning in 2023, it will leave a vacuum in the AAC that needs to be filled. Right now there are five (excluding Notre Dame) independent FBS schools that play both basketball and football. They are Liberty, UMass, New Mexico State, BYU, and Army. I’ve got to think that Liberty, UMass, and New Mexico State are dying to get into a conference. Don’t know about BYU and Army. There’s also the possibility that the AAC (or any other conference) would not pay all schools equally with the funds they receive from their long-term television contract. This all leads me to URI and the fact that we are upgrading Meade Field with new turf, enclosing it and making it a horseshoe, and adding lights for night football television games. Is it a coincidence that it’s being done at this time in light of the probable realignment in college football in 4-6 years? Maybe, maybe not. I just don’t believe in coincidences. Do I think we are positioning ourselves to become a FBS school? No. But something is afoot and I hope it improves the lot of the basketball program .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago I'm in agreement with Ramster... I think McCall will eventually turn things around. The question is, how long of a leash will UMass give him? I'm guessing they'll finish in or near the bottom four again next season. What will they need to see from him in 2020-21 to keep him on board?
Only time will tell. If the first two years of his tenure are however any indicator, things don't bode well for the future.
True,
But Kellogg left a dismal picture. McCall was left weak to start off with. Agree this is a key season for McCall. His team is very young. Getting Tre Mitchell to commit is a big step forward if McCall can pull it off. Diallo, Chatman, Pierre and Clergeot are all back and should all start

Freshman 6'7" Samba Diallo suffered a knee injury in January. He will likely be in the starting line up next season

Starting Line Up from the Last Game of the Season
CHATMAN, Sy f -
HOLLOWAY, Rashaan c - gone
McLEAN, Unique g - gone
PIERRE, Carl g
CLERGEOT, Keon g
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know some Rhode Island fans are sensitive about press conferences but remember Pat Kelsey’s? That was fun.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago If UCF and any other teams from the AAC jump to a power five conference as a result of the new TV contracts beginning in 2023, it will leave a vacuum in the AAC that needs to be filled. Right now there are five (excluding Notre Dame) independent FBS schools that play both basketball and football. They are Liberty, UMass, New Mexico State, BYU, and Army. I’ve got to think that Liberty, UMass, and New Mexico State are dying to get into a conference. Don’t know about BYU and Army. There’s also the possibility that the AAC (or any other conference) would not pay all schools equally with the funds they receive from their long-term television contract. This all leads me to URI and the fact that we are upgrading Meade Field with new turf, enclosing it and making it a horseshoe, and adding lights for night football television games. Is it a coincidence that it’s being done at this time in light of the probable realignment in college football in 4-6 years? Maybe, maybe not. I just don’t believe in coincidences. Do I think we are positioning ourselves to become a FBS school? No. But something is afoot and I hope it improves the lot of the basketball program .
Complete coincidence that the absolute need to fix our crumbling stadium is coming at the same time. We'd need over 15,000 seats plus all the additional expenses just to go FBS, then for AAC we'd need at least a 30,000 seat stadium. If you want FBS football you better hit the lottery and be ready to give most of it to the athletic department.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see McCall as a good coach at all. His one good year was with Will Wade's players. Then they cratered the year after among rumors of locker room disfunction. Then this year with more talent than in year one and in a weaker conference UMass actually got slightly worse and players are leaving in droves, hinting again at his inability to lead a locker room of players.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I don't see McCall as a good coach at all. His one good year was with Will Wade's players. Then they cratered the year after among rumors of locker room disfunction. Then this year with more talent than in year one and in a weaker conference UMass actually got slightly worse and players are leaving in droves, hinting again at his inability to lead a locker room of players.
Will Wade? I think your confusing VCU and UMASS

Derek Kellogg is who ur thinking of
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I don't see McCall as a good coach at all. His one good year was with Will Wade's players. Then they cratered the year after among rumors of locker room disfunction. Then this year with more talent than in year one and in a weaker conference UMass actually got slightly worse and players are leaving in droves, hinting again at his inability to lead a locker room of players.

McCall coached at Chattanooga after Wade.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could be right.
But McCall inherited a mess from Kellogg. Much different from what Cox inherited.
To me it’s too early to judge Cox overall. Specific things like substitution patterns, play calling, player development - yes, but overall it’s too early.
For McCall I want to see what happens this season - his year 3. I want to see his current Freshmen and Sophomores in year 3 and his incoming freshmen class perform. I give him this year and then decision time to “fish or cut bait” as somebody very astute poster once said :D :roll: :o :shock: :lol:
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago If UMass where to go to the AAC, I do home they would keep a home and home schedule with us each year. Would be good for both, especially if UMass got better.
You can forget about a H&H. With only 11-13 games in the OOC, neither program is going to want to tie up two games each season. If they play, it would be just once per year rotating home and away.
That's what I meant by home and home. Alternating years like we do with Brown and PC.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago

McCall coached at Chattanooga after Wade.
Ahhhh ok, my bad there
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Will Wade gets around... he follows (and gives out!) the money.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramster why are you saying Pipkins wouldn’t have started if he stayed? He started for 2 years, except when he was injured, and was easily their best player. He was known to be leaving after this year since mid year which is why his role started to be diminished and he also got hurt. He most certainly would have been their starting PG next year if he chose to return.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster is on one about UMass, downplaying their best player leaving (I didn’t love Pipkins as a player, but he was their main scoring option), pumping their returning players to the point of absurdity, lauding an incoming freshman class that presently is not great. Obviously landing Mitchell would be big for them, but he will likely only last a year or two there and then move on - unless he likes winning 9 games per year. UMass is a dumpster fire, and unlike some here I don’t even dislike UMass. Just stating a fact.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

McCall seems over his head IMO. And for all intent and purposes he probably is, let's be honest he was hired in the midst of a traumatic situation when their #1 choice Kelsey pulled an about face and rescinded his acceptance. They had to move fast and swiftly to save face, and who knows if they did the due diligence on McCall that needed to be done. He seems like he is too green for an A10 gig.

Him laying off his entire staff, which were all his guys that he hired, is not a good sign its a sign of desperation and job saving. I am guessing that it could have come down from the AD to shake things up given on court results and player defections. And an obvious culture issue. Compare that to where we were with Dan going into Year 3 - night and day difference. When new CEOs come in they often fire everyone and make massive changes bc besides wanting to have their own ppl it also buys them time to be able to say "well yeah we sucked last year bc we only had 4 returning players and a new staff, give me 2 more years..." Mitchell would be a coup, but let's be honest the other kids they have signed are all ranked well below anyone we have signed...we had Hassan and EC already in the fold, plus Jared and Jarvis coming in, as we headed into Dan's 3rd year. Compare that to McCall's 3rd year - 66% of an already bad team has left the program, and they have a chance at 1 big man that could be a building block possibly, but they haven't signed him yet. Not much to feel confident about, unless you are Ramster :)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Ramster why are you saying Pipkins wouldn’t have started if he stayed? He started for 2 years, except when he was injured, and was easily their best player. He was known to be leaving after this year since mid year which is why his role started to be diminished and he also got hurt. He most certainly would have been their starting PG next year if he chose to return.
I don’t think so with McCall. Clergeot is the guy McCall likes. Recruited him back in 9th grade when he was at Florida. Then he transferred to play for Mccall from Memphis. Scored 25 in his last game on 5-10 three pointers

Pipkins shot a horrible 28% on 3’s

Yes I don’t think Pipkins would have started next season. Best he get a new shot at PC where nobody has stepped up for the PG position evidenced by MAL, Edwards departures and Duke clearly not the PG Cooley and gang thought he would be. Will be interesting to see what Pipkins can do there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago ramster is on one about UMass, downplaying their best player leaving (I didn’t love Pipkins as a player, but he was their main scoring option), pumping their returning players to the point of absurdity, lauding an incoming freshman class that presently is not great. Obviously landing Mitchell would be big for them, but he will likely only last a year or two there and then move on - unless he likes winning 9 games per year. UMass is a dumpster fire, and unlike some here I don’t even dislike UMass. Just stating a fact.
Plus you have always hated UMASS, Boston College and Davidson so no bias on your part - right?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago McCall seems over his head IMO. And for all intent and purposes he probably is, let's be honest he was hired in the midst of a traumatic situation when their #1 choice Kelsey pulled an about face and rescinded his acceptance. They had to move fast and swiftly to save face, and who knows if they did the due diligence on McCall that needed to be done. He seems like he is too green for an A10 gig.

Him laying off his entire staff, which were all his guys that he hired, is not a good sign its a sign of desperation and job saving. I am guessing that it could have come down from the AD to shake things up given on court results and player defections. And an obvious culture issue. Compare that to where we were with Dan going into Year 3 - night and day difference. When new CEOs come in they often fire everyone and make massive changes bc besides wanting to have their own ppl it also buys them time to be able to say "well yeah we sucked last year bc we only had 4 returning players and a new staff, give me 2 more years..." Mitchell would be a coup, but let's be honest the other kids they have signed are all ranked well below anyone we have signed...we had Hassan and EC already in the fold, plus Jared and Jarvis coming in, as we headed into Dan's 3rd year. Compare that to McCall's 3rd year - 66% of an already bad team has left the program, and they have a chance at 1 big man that could be a building block possibly, but they haven't signed him yet. Not much to feel confident about, unless you are Ramster :)
To put things into context:

To say I love UMASS is bull
TP and some others absolutely hate UMASS but you don’t mention that at all. Just that now I love them? Doesn’t that lifetime hatred cause posters to be prejudiced too? Even moredo than me?

I specifically said give him a year 3 before firing or making final judgement of him
How is it different from posters claiming Cox is a success already
McCall paid his dues as a team manager, many years as assistant coach, 2 years as head coach so he deserves a shot. Over his head? Maybe
Or you could go with The Georgetown and St John’s concept of hiring HCs with no HC experience at all. I also said IF they get Tre, and that he was on campus last week with his Woodstock academy teammates Santos and Weeks - not a bad sign.
Jury is out on McCall and UMASS but I’ll give 10 months for the verdict

I’m not calling the guy a failure at this point like you guys can
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Kellogg had his 2nd straight losing season and was 15-18 in his final year at UMass. Matt McCall has won fewer and lost more each of the two successive seasons in Amherst going 13-20 and this past year 11-21. So far, he has not brought about an upward trajectory at UMass. The fact is that even when factoring in his first two years of head coaching at Tenn-Chattanooga, every single season since his start has seen a decline record wise.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I didn't call him a failure, I said he may be over his head. He's young and had only had 2 years of HC experience, guys like Mullin and Ewing besides being elite players have been around the game for 30 years so while no HC experience they have shit loads of experience dealing with players and elite talent, and have been coached and coached with some of the best minds in the biz. That said they still may not achieve success at either school, though I do think Ewing is trending in the right direction, they have a young dynamic back court and i am sure he will attract talented bigs that want to learn under him.

You keep reciting Clergeot's stats in his final game, great...but its 1 game. He had both Clergeot and Pip to start the year and when Pip was healthy he started him over Clergeot every game. There is no way Pip would not have started, even if it was in tandem with Clergeot. They barely have 5 guys to field a team so even by default he would have started.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Umass 3 point shooting:
Laurent 35-75 for 46.7% to lead A10
Pierre 82-215 for 39.4% to be 4th in A10
Cobb 32-98 for 32.7%
Pipkins 48-171 for 28.1%

Russell was last 40-175 for 22.9%

Pipkins May have started. We will not know.
3 point shooting proficiency is becoming more and more important to the college game.
Maybe Pipkins will find the 3 point accuracy magic in the Dunk
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago ramster is on one about UMass, downplaying their best player leaving (I didn’t love Pipkins as a player, but he was their main scoring option), pumping their returning players to the point of absurdity, lauding an incoming freshman class that presently is not great. Obviously landing Mitchell would be big for them, but he will likely only last a year or two there and then move on - unless he likes winning 9 games per year. UMass is a dumpster fire, and unlike some here I don’t even dislike UMass. Just stating a fact.
Plus you have always hated UMASS, Boston College and Davidson so no bias on your part - right?
Not sure where you are getting any of this from. I’m sure you could find something mean I’ve said about UMass in the context of URI’s rivalry, but in all seriousness I think of UMass as a sibling rivalry. I don’t hate UMass.

Not sure what BC and Davidson have to do with anything haha. But I also don’t hate Davidson, not sure what that one is about at all. And as far as BC, I don’t love BC but I mostly just hated Gene DeFillippo.

So please update your creepy chart that tracks how I feel about everything in light of these clarifications.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Clergeot is a 35% lifetime 3 pt shooter...Pipkins is a 35% lifetime 3 pt shooter. Not sure what your point is. You want to cherry pick 1 game Clergeot had, ok in Pipkins season before this one he was a 42% three point shooter. Net net, Clergeot didnt take Pipkins job, Pipkins opted out bc he wanted a chance to play for a tourney bid and not lose 20 games again which is guaranteed to happen at Umass next season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As was posted on the UMASS Board, a poster had never seen a player go to the level of 3 point shooter he was to what he ended up at this year hitting only 28%. So I'd be higher on Pipkins if he had improved but he went the other way. His career of 35% includes that 28% so he really dropped a lot this past season. One UMASS poster mentioned how Pipkins had a lot of arc on his shot freshman year but this year the arc was gone and the shot was flat.

I could make the observation that Pipkins was part of the reason UMASS lost 20 games. 171 attempts was 2nd highest for the team only to Pierre. But if he wants to go to PC to a winner have at it. Like I said, sometimes a change of scenery is best, just like Ashton-Langford and Drew Edwards have decided to do

Umass 3 point shooting:
Laurent 35-75 for 46.7% to lead A10
Pierre 82-215 for 39.4% to be 4th in A10
Cobb 32-98 for 32.7%
Pipkins 48-171 for 28.1%

But obviously we are in very different places on Pipkins. I would not have wanted him at URI, honestly. So for me having him go to PC, my most hated team in all sports, is a win :D

I went to the UMASS Board to get their thoughts on whether they think Pipkins would have started next year? Who their PG will likely be next year? Most there have good things to say about him and wish him luck in the future
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Not sure where you are getting any of this from. I’m sure you could find something mean I’ve said about UMass in the context of URI’s rivalry, but in all seriousness I think of UMass as a sibling rivalry. I don’t hate UMass.

Not sure what BC and Davidson have to do with anything haha. But I also don’t hate Davidson, not sure what that one is about at all. And as far as BC, I don’t love BC but I mostly just hated Gene DeFillippo.

So please update your creepy chart that tracks how I feel about everything in light of these clarifications.
Just my impressions from your past postings, even back to when Davidson first joined the A10. I have no creepy chart :roll: :roll:
I'll tone down my impressions.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not that big on MCCall

He needs to show improvement in the next 2 years or he may not see a 5th year
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

Just my impressions from your past postings, even back to when Davidson first joined the A10. I have no creepy chart :roll: :roll:
I'll tone down my impressions.
Your memory may be better than mine, but all I can do is tell you how I feel about them now and I don’t hate them.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Clergeot is a 35% lifetime 3 pt shooter...Pipkins is a 35% lifetime 3 pt shooter. Not sure what your point is. You want to cherry pick 1 game Clergeot had, ok in Pipkins season before this one he was a 42% three point shooter. Net net, Clergeot didnt take Pipkins job, Pipkins opted out bc he wanted a chance to play for a tourney bid and not lose 20 games again which is guaranteed to happen at Umass next season.
To get UMASS Posters points of view I went to the UMASS Board to get their take. (I have an account there - not been kicked off like I was the PC Friars Board years ago :D )
Re: KAEO LuWane Pipkins (PG-2015)
Post by Ramster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 pm
Do you think Pip would have started next year if he had stayed?
Think Matt wanted him to stay or was it a mutual decision to move on to Providence?
Who takes Pips role next year?

Post by TheOFFSeason » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Staying wasn’t on the table...a member of the staff told me in September of 2017 that Pipkins would be grad transferring this year...his handlers had already decided that for him(not the where) and communicated it to the staff. They planned and recruited for it since then, which is why they took 3 letters of intent in November (they also had Unique lined up to grad transfer too).
Pipkins’ contributions will be taken up by a combination of guys, including at least 1 pg that isn’t in the equation yet

All of the responses to my questions are in the UMASS Hoops Thread...............
http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... start=1380
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So a guy who averaged 30mpg for his sophomore and junior year, averaging between 16-20ppg and clearly the best player on a crap team was suddenly going to be benched for his senior year? That's illogical Ramster.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Their fans’ delusions and/or spin don’t change anything about the reality of the situation, either.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Interesting news for New England college bball followers for sure. Especially here on this board. A transfer of one of the best players on our two biggest rivals to the better team.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Did you guys read the responses to my questions?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I read the 1 reply you posted on this thread, but not sure what that proved? Yes it was fairly well known he wanted out after this season, their fans on twitter alluded to it most of the season. But that doesn't mean that if he stayed he wouldn't have started.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tre Mitchell joins Preston Santos and TJ Weeks from Woodstock Academy at UMASS today

Mitchell, Ranked #73 in ESPN Top 100, is the only ESPN Top 100 Ranked player to verbal with an A10 team YTD 2019.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... e-mitchell
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

And the head coach at Woodstock that delivered them to Umass will soon follow them there taking an assistant coaching position that conveniently became open recently.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s a dirty business.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’s a dirty business.
Not only Mitchell's coach but there are some rumors out there he is involved with Tre's mother as well.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not only Mitchell's coach but there are some rumors out there he is involved with Tre's mother as well.
What are you talking about?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tre’s out here securing the bag for the whole family! ;)

But this honestly doesn’t bother me at all. If recruits can leverage their talent to give legitimate opportunities to people close to them, go for it. Schools just have to make sure it’s all worth it. That’s on them, not the players.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
What are you talking about?

Three Woodstock Academy players have committed to play for McCall at Umass next year -Santos, Weeks, and Tre Mitchell. Their coach at Woodstock, Tony Bergeron, just was named today to fill one of the Umass assistant coaching positions that conveniently recently became open. In addition to his having coached the three recruits in high school, there are rumors he is dating the mother of Tre Mitchell. Tre is the highest rated of the three and committed today just as Bergeron was announced to the staff.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x