'16 PG - Jeremy Sheppard (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 JUCO PG - Jeremy Sheppard (URI Commit)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ll let the Rhode Island university slide because this kid is gonna light it up.
2 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Love the depth of the roster Cox is putting together. Assuming the starters remain the same we’re looking at a deep bench rotation that includes Walker, Sheppard, Tate and Thompson. Not to mention we still have one open spot to fill.

Freshman are going to have a tough time challenging for minutes next year in my opinion.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I’ll let the Rhode Island university slide because this kid is gonna light it up.
I still don’t understand how it gets mixed up this much.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Walker and Sheppard > Preston and Silverio.

And yea, I don’t see the freshman contributing much unless there are injuries / we recruited Ja Morant 2.0.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Re: '19 JUCO PG - Jeremy Sheppard (Offer)

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago No disrespect to Ty but traveling the country scouting players is his job. Identifying and signing talent is ‘getting it done’
Well it looks like he got it done :) On to the next recruit which I hear will be a big who can protect the rim.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Great news! The need was a sg and seems like we got him. This team is getting stacked.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Good news, he had a very good frosh year at ECU and should add some nice offensive punch and ball handling.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now get a big and we good.
1 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Two years of eligibility?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago Two years of eligibility?
Correct
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

X 2.0 Awesome!!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His twitter name is Juice. Is that his nickname? That would be great...Fatts and Juice.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago X 2.0 Awesome!!!
That's exactly who I thought of. Mr. Munford.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago His twitter name is Juice. Is that his nickname? That would be great...Fatts and Juice.
Sounds like it! Pretty awesome.

5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is a great pick up!

Another guy who can create his own shot and hopefully when he comes here he will make his threes....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This reminds me of the Tyson, Cat and Preston backcourt, where Preston would back up both positions. I don't remember them playing 3 guards much...maybe if Josh was in foul trouble? But that is a possibility with Juice. We should have 5 double figure scorers next season, I hope the coaches and admins are scheduling to put us in position for an at-large.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago This reminds me of the Tyson, Cat and Preston backcourt, where Preston would back up both positions. I don't remember them playing 3 guards much...maybe if Josh was in foul trouble? But that is a possibility with Juice. We should have 5 double figure scorers next season, I hope the coaches and admins are scheduling to put us in position for an at-large.
I get your point on the comparison, but neither Dowtin or Fatts is a true shoiting guard and the level of talent from Mobley, Wheeler and Murphy is light years ahead of these guys. Also Mobley, Wheeler and Murphy played at the same time a lot more than these guys would. I can’t see them ever playing together. Playing Fatts and Juice at the same time would leave you much too small and leave us in danger of huge mismatches on defense.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

If they even consider playing all 3 together Rhody needs to employ a better zone defense than we exhibited this year. Maybe look at a 1-3-1 defense and aggressively press. Who knows. All this stuff sorts itself out as we move forward.

I like this signing. Good addition to the team offensively.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Back when I went to URI the coeds there were VERY highly ranked lol.

As a party school we were number 2 in the country one year.....don't remember who votes on those sort of things.

I majored in business admin with a minor in partying....maybe that's why I don't remember?

not sure this is true or not, but lore has it that there was an article in playboy in the late 70s listing the top 10 party schools. URI didn't make the list, but there was an insert that said "We are not including the University of Rhode Island or Louisiana State University in this survey because we don't feel it is fair to include professionals with amatuers". :)
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Back when I went to URI the coeds there were VERY highly ranked lol.

As a party school we were number 2 in the country one year.....don't remember who votes on those sort of things.

I majored in business admin with a minor in partying....maybe that's why I don't remember?

not sure this is true or not, but lore has it that there was an article in playboy in the late 70s listing the top 10 party schools. URI didn't make the list, but there was an insert that said "We are not including the University of Rhode Island or Louisiana State University in this survey because we don't feel it is fair to include professionals with amatuers". :)
The URI campus in 1983 compared to today is night and day. URHIGH or ZOORI were appropriate names for sure. The University has thankfully become a much better place in both academics and aesthetics. (But we did have a kick ass football team and a great on campus pub :D )
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The URI president and others met with the Playboy writer at the old Iggy's to keep them off future lists
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ah Iggy's. Helped support that place for a while. 35 cent drafts......

That's where I saw the URI loss to Duke in 1978.

Man did I get drunk that night.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Ah Iggy's. Helped support that place for a while. 35 cent drafts......

I worked in the kitchen for awhile. The post closing Happy Hours almost made me an alcoholic. It was fun though.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Always love the commitment pics and graphics
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will does a great job and good to hear from Sheppard’s most recent coach, but if I’m Will I’m definitely asking the coach how Sheppard was for him as a coach and as a teammate, not because I expect that there is any issues or the coach would bash the kid, but considering the murkiness of what went on at ECU I feel like that would be good perspective to get.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Will does a great job and good to hear from Sheppard’s most recent coach, but if I’m Will I’m definitely asking the coach how Sheppard was for him as a coach and as a teammate, not because I expect that there is any issues or the coach would bash the kid, but considering the murkiness of what went on at ECU I feel like that would be good perspective to get.
Cmon TP, you know everything that would come from the coach’s mouth would be PC. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I basically said that. Doesn’t change the journalist’s obligation to ask the question.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I basically said that. Doesn’t change the journalist’s obligation to ask the question.
Touché
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I basically said that. Doesn’t change the journalist’s obligation to ask the question.
TP: stick to your day job
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Will does a great job and good to hear from Sheppard’s most recent coach, but if I’m Will I’m definitely asking the coach how Sheppard was for him as a coach and as a teammate, not because I expect that there is any issues or the coach would bash the kid, but considering the murkiness of what went on at ECU I feel like that would be good perspective to get.
Cmon TP, you know everything that would come from the coach’s mouth would be PC. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.
Do you think the Projo Writers would ask? Sounds like your picking on Will, I know you are not, but it could be construed that way.

For me I am fine with the Coaching Staff and the URI Admissions Staff for having done the vetting.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Do you think the Projo Writers would ask? Sounds like your picking on Will, I know you are not, but it could be construed that way.

For me I am fine with the Coaching Staff and the URI Admissions Staff for having done the vetting.
Me or TP?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Me or TP?
TP
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

YurView
Jeremy Sheppard Adds Firepower to URI Rams Lineup
By Christopher DiSano - April 4, 2019

https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/jeremy ... ms-lineup/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Me or TP?
TP
Geez. I said I think Will does a great job. I don’t think Bill would have asked, I don’t think Chris would have asked. I like all those guys - both as writers/reporters and personally (admittedly I don’t know Will as well, but he seems like a good dude also). I didn’t think I was like savagely attacking anyone here, and not sure why people got so mad. Was just offering a (very) mild critique. I would have asked, and I think it would even be fair in this context to do it in a way that was not only tactful but also functionally served as a lob for the guy to say something positive. I’m not looking for the local paper college hoops writer to grill a JUCO coach like it’s Frost/Nixon. That wasn’t my point at all.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'd be interested in a response to such a question and would respect any reporter that would go there. Will is great, I don't think Tp is harshing on him, just interested in what kind of a team-mate Sheppard might be...
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

To be clear, I'm not doubting Sheppard at all and am very excited at the prospect of him helping out in a big way!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I met my wife at URI in '82 and she's still the most beautiful co-ed I've ever seen. :D
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Ah Iggy's. Helped support that place for a while. 35 cent drafts......

I worked in the kitchen for awhile. The post closing Happy Hours almost made me an alcoholic. It was fun though.
High Noon on Fridays outside Frank Newman's office. 25-cent beers and 50-cent Kamikazes at The Point (now Charlie O's). Drink specials at the Bon Zoo. Editor-in-chief of the award-winning Great Swamp Gazette. AND I lived at the Kingston Inn for 2 years. Hell yeah, I had a fun time in Kingston and down the line!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Fantastic!!! Huge get!!! We are winning the A10 championship next season, book it.
........I will pump the breaks on this one......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Fantastic!!! Huge get!!! We are winning the A10 championship next season, book it.
........I will pump the breaks on this one......
Hey Section, I’ll make a wager on this, you in???
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 JUCO PG - Jeremy Sheppard (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by section(105) »

.......uuuummmm tempting, but I will pass, then again sure, maybe a bad beer in the Pub......hope he turns out to be more of a distributor that makes those around him better, rather than being the pound the ball type guy while others stand and watch......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sheppard was in good company being named to the All Rookie Team

AAC ALL-ROOKIE TEAM 2016-2017
Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati
Vance Jackson, UConn
K.J. Lawson, Memphis
Quinton Rose, Temple
Jeremy Sheppard, East Carolina
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......uuuummmm tempting, but I will pass, then again sure, maybe a bad beer in the Pub......hope he turns out to be more of a distributor that makes those around him better, rather than being the pound the ball type guy while others stand and watch......
Sheppard’s 4.7 assists per game were strong
Combine his assists capability with his superlative shooting of 44% seems like much needed enhancement to our team next year.
Let the best players and most effective combination of players start
The college and NBA game is going more and more to 3 point shooting along with good, unselfish passing to set up the 3 point attempts - Sheppard should fit right in

90-203 on 3FGs for 44.3%
77-93 on FTs for 82.8%
3.4 rebounds per game
4.7 assists per game
2.4 steals per game
1.5 assist/turnover ratio
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Off-season optimism at its best here, I'm with Mongo! With all key contributors coming back and the good mix of frosh and transfers coming in, I think a legit shot at the A10 title isn't out of the question. Just the addition of Sheppard and Walker will make a big difference, our incoming freshmen recruits seem to be trending up, definitely things are looking good! I feel like we should be in the top 3 of the A10 with real title aspirations and deep dance potential.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram, Mongo,
I’m optimistic for next year too especially with the addition of Sheppard. He was an excellent addition with proven shooting statistics and accomplishments in the AAC
Langevine and Dowtin both Seniors and both very good chances to make First Team A10
Harris proved he could shoot very well but was hobbled by injury during the season. A healthy Harris will be fun to watch.
Let the competition dictate the other 2 starting roles and playing time minutes
Much more quality depth than this past season
I like the off season moves by Cox
0 x