'16 PG - Jeremy Sheppard (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 JUCO PG - Jeremy Sheppard (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ace »

I think it’s just a semantics thing. Some people use rebuild to refer to things on a program level- when a coach gets fired, for example, things have been going poorly for some time, and there are elements of the program that need reinforced or improved. For URI, while the roster needed to be reloaded, the other stuff was very solid, especially with keeping continuity with the ‘18 recruiting class. Losing an entire year can be a killer. If comparisons can be drawn to Dayton, the program is in good shape, which has long been the goal.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We already have a thread about the subject of rebuild.....

5 pages, 236 posts

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7873
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I think it’s just a semantics thing. Some people use rebuild to refer to things on a program level- when a coach gets fired, for example, things have been going poorly for some time, and there are elements of the program that need reinforced or improved. For URI, while the roster needed to be reloaded, the other stuff was very solid, especially with keeping continuity with the ‘18 recruiting class. Losing an entire year can be a killer. If comparisons can be drawn to Dayton, the program is in good shape, which has long been the goal.
Better said than me :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think there’s a great chance Shepherd plays here next year he probably realizes it’s his last chance
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

You got to realize he has one year of eligibility left. If he wants to play pro. His only shot is to not transfer and realize this is his last chance and get his act together enough to play next year. Seems like he has a very good relationship with the rest of the team. It is either here at uri or no where else.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I think there’s a great chance Shepherd plays here next year he probably realizes it’s his last chance
He is engaged on the bench. He is growing with the team. Where else would he go now and why?
We have excellent, superb academic support for our MBB Program.
I’d be 99% sure he plays here next season. Then he moves on.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Totally disagree 18-19 was a major rebuild. We were coming off the NCAAT with the #1 recruit class in the A10. Plus had Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts with tourney experience. Plus a new head coach who was on the bench and recruited many of the players.
That's ridiculous. We lost close to 75% of our scoring, rebounding and assists through graduation. Regardless of the recruiting class being #1 in A10, the A10 does not attract recruits that will come in right away and be able to lead a team to the top of the conference. Our returning guys were all guys at the time who were role players and were asked to convert into the stars of the team. Plus a first year head coach.

Look at what Dayton did when they lost Pollard, Scoochie, Pierre, etc and lost Archie Miller. They fell to about the same spot as we did and then had an NIT last season and now are back in NCAA contention. That is a very good comp for us, and if we were able to sneak in to the NCAAs this year we would actually be 1 year ahead of them in rebuilding after losing a big senior class.

Expecting last year's team to have not lost any ground from what the previous team had done is unrealistic.

Not to mention to losing all those seniors, we also lost Akele, Laysaard and Tertsea.

Those players of course were not as important as those first 5, but to lose EIGHT players total is quite a lot.

I was also in the camp that Akele could have helped out a lot and probably Laysaard too. Especially with how Harris struggled.

It took Cox a minute last year to get it going, but as we stand, especially after all three transfers not working out the way any of us thought they would, he's been excelling.

ON TOPIC

if we get Sheppard next year with Fatts, that would be huge.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Hmmmmmm....

Are we absolutely certain that somehow, someway he couldn't be eligible for the 2nd semester??

Man, what a Christmas present that would be!

Go Rhody.
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Hmmmmmm....

Are we absolutely certain that somehow, someway he couldn't be eligible for the 2nd semester??

Man, what a Christmas present that would be!

Go Rhody.
I don’t think anyone is absolutely sure there isn’t somehow, someway. When URI announced that Walker and Sheppard were ineligible they differentiated between the two.
From the release:
Walker, who transferred to Rhode Island from Georgetown, will be eligible to play after the last date of scheduled final exams for the fall semester. He is expected to be able to appear in games starting with Rhode Island's home game against Western Kentucky on Dec. 21. Sheppard is not expected to be able to play this season.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Are you saying there's a chance?
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

There is a chance from what I understand.... let’s hope we get good news for Christmas.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What does he supposedly have to do? Get a certain GPA? Get a certain amount of credits? Or is it more complicated than that?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this would be sweet !

please Santa .. deliver !
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wouldn’t get my hopes up about this. If something happens with his eligibility, it would be a welcome surprise but I don’t think we should count on it. Just setting up for disappointment and/or excuse making.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This would a fantastic development. He would provide another ball handler, reliable scorer and one that can hit the 3...just what we need. fingers crossed...dont want to get too excited only to have the NCAA crush all hope.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let the kid play !!
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Free Jeremy!
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obviously we dont wanna get too excited, but..... getting him, I'll go out on a limb and say we are a LOCK for the dance :p
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s hoping his midterm grades are going to get him over the hump
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

thanks for the update DC !

if the kids grades are good, then the ncaa should throw him a bone already
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago thanks for the update DC !

Yeah, and the way they work, maybe they will by the end of February.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Would be excellent to see David Cox be able to coach the team he planned to have to execute his half court sets....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Fingers and toes crossed!

Get your Santa Claus on NCAA!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Grades are one thing.....does he have the credits also?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Aren't academics pretty cut and dry though? Either you qualified or you didn't? Or is there a judgement call to be made?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Does anyone know for certain that the kid is all in on getting the necessary grades? Asking for a friend...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jeremy seems hopeful, so there's that.

Looks like he's put in the effort academically.

Could we know something by the end of the month?

Getting the NCAA to make a fast decision could be an issue, ha.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

Aren't academics pretty cut and dry though? Either you qualified or you didn't? Or is there a judgement call to be made?
You would think. But we're talking about the NCAA here.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I didn't transfer when in college, but typically there is some back and forth on what credits will transfer, and how. I assume that's part of the issue - You might have had passing grades in some courses but not others, and if those courses you did well at aren't accepted at your new university, then it probably makes how you did in them irrelevant from an eligibility standpoint.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Dont like that tweet
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Dont like that tweet
He covers URI Basketball for the Narragansett Times. Practice was open to the media today.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
I didn't transfer when in college, but typically there is some back and forth on what credits will transfer, and how. I assume that's part of the issue - You might have had passing grades in some courses but not others, and if those courses you did well at aren't accepted at your new university, then it probably makes how you did in them irrelevant from an eligibility standpoint.
Yeah, that makes sense if its a credits thing. I was thinking more of just grades.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Sheppard situation is frustrating to me. I know that he did himself no favors with his earlier suspensions and maybe his choice of JUCOs

But, not everyone has the aptitude or desire to go to college, and I hate how tied together those things are. Some higher level prospects are exploring different options, but the path is still college first to play professionally later. I wish it was easier to go a different path.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Well that link kind of explains it all in an extremely easy visual. And I'm going to assume that he either didnt have the proper acquired credits or the GPA, which is what we've been saying all along. Which is frustrating now because the coaching staff should know these things about the person they're recruiting. I don't like second guessing Cox and completely support him as our coach, but I just wonder what the thought process was here.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
Well that link kind of explains it all in an extremely easy visual. And I'm going to assume that he either didnt have the proper acquired credits or the GPA, which is what we've been saying all along. Which is frustrating now because the coaching staff should know these things about the person they're recruiting. I don't like second guessing Cox and completely support him as our coach, but I just wonder what the thought process was here.

Well I guess he, at least thought he would have him for next year.

Worst case scenario.

I know Colby said it's not likely Shepp ain't playing, but I never saw anything definite, which is making me think that it's still the same situation as before his tweet.

So like, why are people thinking theres no hope again?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO the staff gets a pass on Sheppard in this whole conversation for a couple of reasons -- first, he was considered a very good get at the time in terms of a free agent guy who was a known commodity due to his year in AAC, and was just what this team needed to compliment Jeff/Fatts. Second, until I know more about how much 'risk' was associated with his transcript/academic record it's impossible to say it was a careless risk/poor decision. It's not like the NCAA and its practices and policies are exactly black and white. They are obtuse and subjective in their interpretation of the rules. All I know is that in mid to late August I had heard that there were some hurdles to get over with his eligibility but all signs pointed to it not being an issue. Obviously something changed, and/or went sideways, in that assessment.

You could argue we should have gone lower risk/lower reward with this spot and potentially targeted a slightly lesser talent that didn't come with any risk, but would be a serviceable role player. I think Cox shot a bit higher than that in Sheppard, and felt the reward was worth it. Consider after adding Sheppard, and also having Hammond, what was our pitch at that time for a 5th guard (likely would have been a 5th year) to join the roster? If operating under the assumption that Jeff, Fatts and Sheppard were top 3 on depth chart you at most were selling being the 4th guard on a team where the top 2 guards are gonna play 30 minutes a night no matter what. Not a lot to sell there.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think that's the whole misstep.
We shot high with Sheppard and I like the move overall, especially since we REALLY need good guard play for next year when we lose Jeff.
BUT like you said we were selling 4th guard playing time once we signed Sheppard, except we didnt have a 3rd guard/1st guard off the bench because of the ambiguity of eligibility.
Also, I'm fine with having Sheppard for only next year, IF that was part of the plan. I know we are not the basketball destination I like to think we are, but I have to think we could have ALSO gotten someone to help with guard depth this year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox said "probably not." He didn't say no. So that means there is a route to eligibility, which means it's up to Sheppard. Finals end Friday afternoon.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Cox said "probably not." He didn't say no. So that means there is a route to eligibility, which means it's up to Sheppard. Finals end Friday afternoon.
“Probably not” could be his way of not being forthcoming. I don’t get why the URI press release on Walker and Sheppard not being eligible on Nov 1st would say “ Sheppard is not expected to be able to play this season.” If there was a path to eligibility based on his Fall semester academic performance, why would they make that statement Nov 1st?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The "not expected" part I guess is where there could be some interpretation...so if he plays it will be an unlikely surprise.
Trying to think if there is any precedent, since NCAA likes precedent, of someone being deemed academically ineligible in Fall semester and then being allowed to play in Spring semester. I can't think of any.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

God forgive if the NCAA can throw us a bone one time

I can’t stand that organization it’s all about themselves
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago God forgive if the NCAA can throw us a bone one time

I can’t stand that organization it’s all about themselves
If Sheppard doesn’t meet the academic requirements of the NCAA Clearinghouse that is required of all athletes, what bone are you expecting them to throw URI? This seems pretty clear cut here. He either meets the eligibility requirements or he doesn’t.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ok since we pushed TWO guys out, one of them REALLY talented.

Can we get a miracle and get this guy on the court?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t think so ?? The NCAA doesn’t think like that ??
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think so ?? The NCAA doesn’t think like that ??
Well he just needed to do well on his exams right?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think so ?? The NCAA doesn’t think like that ??
Well he just needed to do well on his exams right?
No, that is wrong. The NCAA Clearinghouse is an annual process.
0 x