The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by Section104 »

Aaron Falzon is transferring from Northwestern. I think we were on him during his initial recruitment...he's been plagued by some injuries, but is an intriguing stretch 4 that once had some upside.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If we go this route it means someone is leaving.
If we go this route it must be for a proficient shooter aka Four McGlynn, or nothing else.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Falzon is a great shooter, at least he was when I saw him 3 or so years ago.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can only see Tertsea leaving (unfortunately). Every other scholarship player has been playing.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I can only see Tertsea leaving (unfortunately). Every other scholarship player has been playing.

Playing time is not the only reason that players transfer out for.

When do the new transfer rules go into effect? I understood that the requirement to sit out a year might be eliminated. If and when that is the case, the flood gates will really open up at the end pf every season.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McLean leaving as a graduate transfer with two years to play? I'm sure its happened but not sure I remember a guy doing that with two years still left. Was he hurt for a year or something?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

A well-known example was Cameron Johnson from Pittsburgh. He wanted to transfer to UNC and Pittsburgh initially blocked his transfer before finally being allowed to go there.

Then there is someone like Cullen Neal who in 2016 announced he was grad transferring from New Mexico to Ole Miss, and then went from Ole Miss to St. Mary’s the following season without missing any time.

There are a handful of players each year who qualify for this exception.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I figure the player leaving Akron may wind up at Duquesne.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I figure the player leaving Akron may wind up at Duquesne.....
yeah, transfer central
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago A well-known example was Cameron Johnson from Pittsburgh. He wanted to transfer to UNC and Pittsburgh initially blocked his transfer before finally being allowed to go there.

Then there is someone like Cullen Neal who in 2016 announced he was grad transferring from New Mexico to Ole Miss, and then went from Ole Miss to St. Mary’s the following season without missing any time.

There are a handful of players each year who qualify for this exception.
If you’ve graduated you can transfer without sitting. Lots of guys finish four years of course work and have only used two years of eligibility. The most common reason is a redshirt year and then an injury, although some kids can do four years of credit in three years if they take a full course load during the school year and load up in the summer, especially if they sit out a year and really load up on credits.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Where does Tertsea stand with credits after 3 years and 2-3 summers?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Too bad Tertsea never panned out.

I mean I cant imagine him ever getting time here.

Great to have a nice guy like that on the team.

Maybe if he stays, by his 5th year he will be serviceable?
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Tertsea should transfer to a D2 program where he can play immediately.....he cant play at this level....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Every time we get trounced from a tournament, its because of size. Its too bad our biggest recruit in 8 years hasn't even played.
2 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Tertsea graduates this spring, I could see a transfer to a D2. Otherwise he needs the scholarship another year, so a transfer to a lower D1 would make sense.

We should be fine size wise next year with more depth.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

D Cambridge from Brown expected to transfer as reported by golocal(take with large grain of salt for now)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If Tertsea graduates this spring, I could see a transfer to a D2. Otherwise he needs the scholarship another year, so a transfer to a lower D1 would make sense.

We should be fine size wise next year with more depth.
Did you mean if he doesn’t graduate this year?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago D Cambridge from Brown expected to transfer as reported by golocal(take with large grain of salt for now)
WOW. Crushing blow for Brown if true, he can play at any level IMO, would love to snag him as a sit 1 play 2 guy. Kid can ball.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago D Cambridge from Brown expected to transfer as reported by golocal(take with large grain of salt for now)
WOW. Crushing blow for Brown if true, he can play at any level IMO, would love to snag him as a sit 1 play 2 guy. Kid can ball.
I will wait until a reputable media source with named authors and confirmed sources announces this.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he's available, get him if at all possible!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Goodman just announced it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Is it common that student athletes announce transferring while a season is still going? (Brown plays in the CBI tomorrow night). I know Pipkins at UMass did.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Grab him!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -cambridge

Kid is pretty good. Had 30 points on a few occasions and 25 in their win vs San Diego St.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Silverio transferring.
0 x
gorhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by gorhody »

Silverio out, per IndependentRI.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years agoGrab him!
Agree, but he is going to have a long line of suitors. A10 seems like perfect home for him, but I am guessing he gets Big East looks as well as maybe P5.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

It's too bad. I liked the kid and thought he was an asset. I think he could have gotten serious minutes in 2 years when Dowtin and Thompson have moved on.
Last edited by steviep123 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Silverio transferring.
?!?!? wow
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That didn't take long. Wish Omar the best wherever he ends up. I really hope we turn our attention to a guard who can play right away.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago That didn't take long. Wish Omar the best wherever he ends up. I really hope we turn our attention to a guard who can play right away.
this, plus Desmond Cambridge.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago That didn't take long. Wish Omar the best wherever he ends up. I really hope we turn our attention to a guard who can play right away.
this, plus Desmond Cambridge.
It sounds like he will have P5 schools all over him, so I am assuming he has his sights set higher than URI. But he is a no brainer if the opportunity is there.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

It's too bad. I liked the kid and thought he was an asset. I think he could have gotten serious minutes in 2 years when Dowtin and Thompson have moved on.
Silverio is the 1 transfer that I had eluded to in my post earlier today. As far as I was told, all other meetings went very well as far as everyone staying.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago

Silverio is the 1 transfer that I had eluded to in my post earlier today. As far as I was told, all other meetings went very well as far as everyone staying.
Glad to hear about the rest of the meetings. Do we know if Silverio was unhappy in general or what reasons he gave?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We were on him back in the day - insane athlete
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Awww :(

I liked Omar!

Should've gotten way more playing time than he did.

Definitely was the best shooter on the team. Thought he needed to get more looks.

Just didnt see that bright of a future here I guess, with all the other guards coming in.

I could see him putting up big points at a smaller school.

Get a transfer guard!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not surprised he’s gone. Heard he’d be leaving about two weeks back. Always thought he was gonna be “just a guy” here. He’d be buried on the bench if he stayed.

He’ll end up at a lower level with more PT.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago

We were on him back in the day - insane athlete

UH YES

Get him before Nevada does!
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Glad to hear about the rest of the meetings. Do we know if Silverio was unhappy in general or what reasons he gave?
I don’t think he was unhappy, I think he wanted to play and saw that it probably wasn’t going to happen here. My guess is he may end up closer to home at a school that is prob a step down from here.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

If he'd only be buried on the bench then I certainly don't blame the kid. He did play pretty well in his limited time here.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed, Santa Clara was probably the right level for him. Doesn’t have the foot speed or handle to be anything more than a 10-15 minute spot shooter at A10 level.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I don’t think he was unhappy, I think he wanted to play and saw that it probably wasn’t going to happen here. My guess is he may end up closer to home at a school that is prob a step down from here.
Agreed, could see him ending up somewhere in the MAAC or NEC
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I wish Omar the best. Likely to get more PT elsewhere and be happier. While he may have been a good shooter, his defense was lacking at this level. He however did well handling the ball in the VCU game when Fatts got into foul trouble. Not all that surprising a decision given his limited playing time along with the fact that he probably had less connections than others as he was a late commitment to replace Brendan Adams.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Because of the way his recruitment went down, I feel like people wanted him to be a lot better than he is. This is my bias talking, but he would absolutely kill it at a place like Wagner. Get on it, Bashir!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I was not an Omar guy. I know a lot of posters liked him. I get that he was a good shooter on a team of not great shooters, but there wasn’t a lot else of his game that translated to this level. I think he is a good kid and I wish him the best. Never happy to lose a member of the family, but this is probably for the best for the player and the team. I don’t think Omar ever would have been a significant contributor.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Agreed, Santa Clara was probably the right level for him. Doesn’t have the foot speed or handle to be anything more than a 10-15 minute spot shooter at A10 level.
Agree with this, he certainly has ability but seemed like a liability on defense. I noticed we often played zone when he was on the floor. Best of luck Omar !
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'd like to see two transfer guards; one who can play right away and one who will play when Jeff graduates.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."