2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, I guess it's as good a time as any to start an offseason discussion thread. As I said in the Bonnies game thread, it was a frustrating up and down season at times, but the finish was fun and it's something to build on for next year. Lots of work to be done still, but the pieces are there I think.

To me the biggest thing over the last few weeks, even more than the 6 out of 7 wins to close it out, was that this team seemed to reestablish an identity over the last month of season. Even during the up and down earlier portions of the season whether we won or lost there still seemed to be something missing or "off" at times. That has not been the case over the last month.

We could probably all debate endlessly about what exactly it was that changed lately, but the key to next season will be building on that and keeping that identity at the core of who we are as a team. Since the 2012-13 season we have always played with a bit of an edge and a little bit of an attitude of being disrespected and having a chip on our shoulder. I think we lost that early in the season but we got it back late. I don't care if we are 18-0 in conference we need to try and keep that edge about us. It's not an easy thing to do, but I think it's who we are.

I think the A10 will be much better overall next year, and I fully expect us to be right in that mix. It's far from a guarantee, but I think we'll look back at this season fondly as it gets further in the rear view mirror and we have the benefit of knowing what it led to later.

#GoRhody
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by RF1 »

Now that it the offseason, I would like to see Thorr and URI make a real public commitment toward a new practice facility. There are more revenues coming into the program these days and salaries are lower so I would like to see tangible evidence that most of this money is being reinvested back into the program.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Now that it the offseason, I would like to see Thorr and URI make a real public commitment toward a new practice facility. There are more revenues coming into the program these days and salaries are lower so I would like to see tangible evidence that this most of this money is being reinvested back into the program.
This is a good point. We need to see some commitment from the administration to keep things moving forward. The status quo isn't enough over the long haul.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We will definitely be deeper next season which will help significantly in the long run. We will also have more size in the front court with the addition of Walker and possibly Madding which will help. The last two games we got eaten up on the inside. Santos Silva from VCU and Ossuniyi from Saint Bonaventure both went for double doubles. In addition, will have another shooter in Hammond with good size at 6’5”. And Long reminds me a lot of Martin. So with growth, maturity, and more depth, I would expect we will do better next year than this year.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Don't forget Harris. He's going to be a bigger factor once he's healthy...and we'll hopefully start to see what he's capable of.

With him and Walker, our frontcourt should be as good as anybody in the conference.

And Jeff and Fatts will have more backcourt help so they won't wear down as much as they did at times.

And Fatts won't have to launch as many 3's...which is a good thing, although I think he will become a better shooter next season.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... eWb4bU6ZJ/

Here is a look at Dayton with some pretty impressive transfers.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Hope we can figure out how to add a 5th year established shooter eg Four McG. We have no idea of how Hammonds will adjust. Clearly need more depth at guard.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the off season will be measured by things like roster changes, assistant coaching changes, player development programs, scheduling the OOC games, program evaluations by the HC, further program enhancements, practice facility, etc, potential player transfers...... for me, I put zero stock into touted expectations of any transfer(s), expected touted depth of rotation, the advance of the other A-10 teams,.......looking forward to next year?.....biggly.......my usual seasonal sign off....getting ready to get the shrink wrap off the Deuce, ready to mow fairways at PJCC, and taking in all that South County offers......stay thirsty my friends, see you all on campus......yes, I helicopter out from now to October, and God bless you all that keep these fires burning in the off season......Go Rhody......Team Rankings gives us a 100% that there will be a next season......out.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Big key for next year is more consistency. Hopefully this year has paid that foundation. Bringing in some more size helps
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes this team needs to become more consistent as shooters.

Fatts as we've seen runs hot and cold.....when he's on we can beat anyone...and when he's off we can lose to anyone. This season, he was off more often than he was on.

You have to have the 3 pt. shooting option....when opponents take away the inside game which will happen at times, you have to make shots.

If we hope to be an NCAA tourney participant next season, we can ill afford more than a couple bad games and losses to bottom feeders.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Don't forget Harris. He's going to be a bigger factor once he's healthy...and we'll hopefully start to see what he's capable of.

With him and Walker, our frontcourt should be as good as anybody in the conference.

And Jeff and Fatts will have more backcourt help so they won't wear down as much as they did at times.

And Fatts won't have to launch as many 3's...which is a good thing, although I think he will become a better shooter next season.
There are going to be several *very* tough front courts in the conference. VCU, Dayton, St. Bonaventure all come to mind.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree...so we will need to be better and deeper.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'll be looking for a break in the A-10 schedule where we don't play 3 of the 4 perceived top teams twice which will give us a better shot of not playing Wednesday and Thursday in the Tournament. We might have had one of the toughest schedules this year since we played St Louis, VCU, Davidson and Dayton twice. Getting in the top 4 is crucial.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a 2 edged sword though.

Playing the tougher schedule will give us more chances for Q1 wins, especially since those teams you mentioned might be Q1 opportunities next season.

As we saw this season, a good A10 record really doesn't help a lot without those good wins....ask Dayton and Davidson.

The few games they lost hurt a lot...of course the OOC wasn't stellar for any of them either.

If we were a P5 we could lose a whole bunch of games and still be on the bubble...but not in this conference.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I do think we'll probably get a couple less games against the top teams next season, due to our middling 9-9 record this season.

So we REALLY need to ace our OOC schedule.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should be much better next year

JD and CL will provide senior leadership and improvement from all the frosh as well as the new frosh

The league will be much better also so I am not sure we will dance but I woukd hope we be NIT worthy at worst
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Now that it the offseason, I would like to see Thorr and URI make a real public commitment toward a new practice facility. There are more revenues coming into the program these days and salaries are lower so I would like to see tangible evidence that this most of this money is being reinvested back into the program.
This is a good point. We need to see some commitment from the administration to keep things moving forward. The status quo isn't enough over the long haul.
The problem here is that people view something visible as the only way to prove reinvestment into the program. What if Cox wants the additional funding to go into team charters and a big bump in the recruiting budget? Those help the program immensely as well but we don't see those so we just assume they're doing nothing.

Without beating that dead horse at this point, it would be a very bad idea for them to go ahead and just push through the building of a practice facility right now. Having a few extra thousand coming in each year isn't enough to pay for a multi-million dollar project. The school needs donors.

I wish those donors that backed down after Hurley left would step back up. At least the facility is something that will remain even when coaches and admins change. Not asking them to pony up the money for the coach's salary (like before) but for the program. Easy for me to say, though, because I don't have an extra couple million dollars lying around. Fingers crossed for Wednesday's Powerball!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Koch has some very good points on Twitter. Too many to link them all. See his Twitter (@BillKoch25)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just a few questions that I have....I'm not sure all the players are expected back. We were offering '19s fairly recently, so unless something has changed..... Did anyone else hear Cox refer to Christion as a senior? It was after the VCU game. Was that a slip? If Carroll doesn't come back, what type of coach are we looking for? Will Sutton be back? Will as assistant DBO? Will we find out about Jermaine's injury? It was reported as plantar fasciitis, but I think he has a knee problem too. He often was icing it when on the bench. Anway, hopefully the newcomers will add depth. It would be great to be able to go 10 deep next year. Looking forward to an exciting season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Koch has some very good points on Twitter. Too many to link them all. See his Twitter (@BillKoch25)
You could link the first tweet in the thread for us, no?

Sorry, but big pet peeve of mine to these days say there's something on the internet somewhere and not just provide a link. Never been easier to share content online with omnipresent "share" buttons in every app.

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I always thought Harris' issue was a knee. It seemed like he was moving better than expected for someone with plantar fasciitis.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Might be that both Harris and Martin need some kind of knee procedure done......they'll get that done and have plenty of time to rehab over the spring and summer.
0 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

How do you feel about the University trying to arrange some fundraiser type games in the spring or very early fall. Perhaps a “blue vs white” inter squad game or even an alumni tournament over a weekend to raise funds?
1 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

What are we thinking on lineup for next year? I will just assume everyone is back, but of course that may not be the case. My prediction is that Walker replaces Harris in the starting lineup, so we have a rotation like this:

Starting Lineup

G: Jeff Dowtin
G: Fatts Russell
G: Tyrese Martin
F: Cyril Langevine
F: Antwan Walker

Bench

Jermaine Harris
Christion Thompson
Dana Tate
Omar Silverio
Gregory Hammond

Then I am not so sure, do we think Mading and Long will get much PT, maybe Long will redshirt? Depends on if Thompson potentially transfers.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Koch has some very good points on Twitter. Too many to link them all. See his Twitter (@BillKoch25)
You could link the first tweet in the thread for us, no?

Sorry, but big pet peeve of mine to these days say there's something on the internet somewhere and not just provide a link. Never been easier to share content online with omnipresent "share" buttons in every app.

ATP. Thanks for posting the twitter links. I usually do post links. This time I felt there were so many tweets and good responses that I thought it would muddy the waters. Perhaps in the future I could post a handful of links and people could decide whether to go down the rabbit hole or not.
Last edited by steviep123 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

anyone think there is risk that somebody is transferring out? I remember someone mentioned during the midst of the 5 game losing streak that things were really bad and would be surprise if all the underclassmen are back. we also offered toppin's little brother right during this losing streak too, who was a '19. I could see CT or even one of the freshmen leaving. I know we finished strong but was that enough to keep the team together.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Just a few questions that I have....I'm not sure all the players are expected back. We were offering '19s fairly recently, so unless something has changed..... Did anyone else hear Cox refer to Christion as a senior? It was after the VCU game. Was that a slip? If Carroll doesn't come back, what type of coach are we looking for? Will Sutton be back? Will as assistant DBO? Will we find out about Jermaine's injury? It was reported as plantar fasciitis, but I think he has a knee problem too. He often was icing it when on the bench. Anway, hopefully the newcomers will add depth. It would be great to be able to go 10 deep next year. Looking forward to an exciting season.
I wouldn’t expect CT to be back. Less minutes for him next year. Healthy Rese and Tate, plus long and mading will all be in that 3 spot.

Omar and Hammond as a plus shooting option.

Hopefully if he does leave there shouldn’t be a leadership vacuum like there was to start the year.

Would love it if he were back but I understand him leaving.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Will Tertsea leave?

Cant imagine him ever getting any playing time.

I'd love for Christion to stay. More depth and experience. I think he really showed he could consistently play some good defense.

I think better for him if he leaves, better for the team if he stays.

If he does leave I wouldnt be necessarily opposed to the idea of bringing in a grad transfer....
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I also think someone is leaving this offseason not just Will and Ryan graduating. Tertsea seeing that playing time is not coming for him? I don't see it being Thompson, but you never know.

I agree with RhodyKyle. Re-invest in the backend, not necessarily practice arena (that's going to have to be a "Capital" investment). I think Cox is here for a while, not jumping ship at first bigger offer so let's build the program. Go Rhody!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Biggest need is a capable guard to play 20-25 minutes a game. Can't expect Fatts and JD to play 35-38 minutes a game. What about the games where Fatts' size is a handicap and his offense is off. What choices did Cox have. Omar very limited by foot speed. CT not a consistent offensive threat.

We should not go into next year with the hope that Hammond will be the answer ( I hope I am wrong) or Martin or Long being able to play off guard

I hope that Cox can figure out a way to get this critical need fixed.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Will Tertsea leave?

I'd love for Christion to stay. More depth and experience. I think he really showed he could consistently play some good defense.

If he does leave I wouldnt be necessarily opposed to the idea of bringing in a grad transfer....

Agree! For whatever reason I think of CT as "family" and will not leave. If I were Omar, I would look at transferring seriously.

Harris- sure hope not, my solution is get the person who coached Cyril into a finisher and have him live with Jermaine. Who was it?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Will Leviton’s Instagram story is hinting that he might be back next season. Grad manager?
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I think your administration needs to be thinking about making a move out of the A-10.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Will Tertsea leave?

Agree! For whatever reason I think of CT as "family" and will not leave. If I were Omar, I would look at transferring seriously.

Harris- sure hope not, my solution is get the person who coached Cyril into a finisher and have him live with Jermaine. Who was it?

It was ARD!

I think Omar should stay!

Make him a catch and shoot guy!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago I think your administration needs to be thinking about making a move out of the A-10.
To where exactly?

UConn likely blocks an attempt to get in the AAC. Even then it's a minor step up if at all.

The Big East makes complete sense, but lord knows as long as there's a Gavitt somewhere still breathing it'll never happen
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago I think your administration needs to be thinking about making a move out of the A-10.
To where exactly?

UConn likely blocks an attempt to get in the AAC. Even then it's a minor step up if at all.

The Big East makes complete sense, but lord knows as long as there's a Gavitt somewhere still breathing it'll never happen
I'm not sure what the answer is but my point is more that you shouldn't be content in this conference. I think the A-10 is dying, similar to what happened with Conference USA 10-12 years ago. Your upside is going to be capped because of what you're competing against. I don't mean that as a put down at all, just stating my opinion. I think the administration should be striving for better if they are committed to consistently competing at a high level. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The focus for next year is to come out in non conference and play like the last couple of weeks. Beat Alabama, Western Ky, FGCU, LSU and pc. Get a good NET going into conference play. All A10 teams are young this year, both players and coaches. Teams aren't losing players next year, so improvements should be seen across the board. After all the coach poaching the last 3 years, the A10 should be just fine again.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago
To where exactly?

I'm not sure what the answer is but my point is more that you shouldn't be content in this conference. I think the A-10 is dying, similar to what happened with Conference USA 10-12 years ago. Your upside is going to be capped because of what you're competing against. I don't mean that as a put down at all, just stating my opinion. I think the administration should be striving for better if they are committed to consistently competing at a high level. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule.
The question really is to where? Unless a new conference is formed that includes good programs there’s no where to go but down which we don’t want.

What we need is the A10 to continue improvement.

They had 6 bids a few years back and 5 bids as well. If the A10 can strengthen themselves to a point where they can consistently earn 4 to 5 bids a year that would be ideal.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There is no magic wand.....the A10 was down this year, no doubt....but many of the teams are young and talented.....I see 4 or 5 teams either in or on the bubble next year......If we can become the second best only basketball conference every year....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can't believe people respond to pc trolls.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

big east got 4 teams in, the A10 got 2. No play in game for the A10. 1 play in game for the big east.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago big east got 4 teams in, the A10 got 2. No play in game for the A10. 1 play in game for the big east.
The Big East also has 10 teams. The A10 has 14.

40% of the league in the tournament versus 14%. Apples and oranges. That comparison stinks.

Regarding reconferencing, the American is a FBS conference, we don’t qualify for what their ultimate goal is.

The Big East has better options if you’re being realistic. They would take VCU and/or Dayton before URI... It makes sense in theory with a built in rival at PC but in practice it would never work for business needs. There is as likely a chance for us to join the PAC 12 as the BE... lol
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thorr is committed to the practice facility. It will be funded 100% by donations. 80% of the $5 million is already accounted for.

Rhody is already spending in some of the areas mentioned above. They had more charters this year.
I believe MBB will have their own Strength & Conditioning area this year with new equipment. This could be in place for the beginning of June.

I think Thompson is staying. There is a potential of Tertsea transferring. I don’t see anyone else transferring.
I think Rhody would go after a 5th year SG.

If Coach Carroll doesn’t come back due to health, I think TJ gets the Ast position. He was doing the Scout for key games down the stretch. I also think TJ was key to the turnaround with the players - he was much more engaged. The players relate to TJ more than anyone on the staff.
7 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I can't believe people respond to pc trolls.
Pretty sure I’ve established that I do not come here to troll, but no one is forcing anyone to respond to me. I’m just adding my perspective and enjoy the conversation.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Thorr is committed to the practice facility. It will be funded 100% by donations. 80% of the $5 million is already accounted for.

Rhody is already spending in some of the areas mentioned above. They had more charters this year.
I believe MBB will have their own Strength & Conditioning area this year with new equipment. This could be in place for the beginning of June.

I think Thompson is staying. There is a potential of Tertsea transferring. I don’t see anyone else transferring.

If Coach Carroll doesn’t come back due to health, I think TJ gets the Ast position. He was doing the Scout for key games down the stretch. I also think TJ was key to the turnaround with the players - he was much more engaged. The players relate to TJ more than anyone on the staff.
Does TJ have good connections in Michigan? I'd love to get back into that market.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Thorr is committed to the practice facility. It will be funded 100% by donations. 80% of the $5 million is already accounted for.

THIS. Post of the day, by a mile! I absolutely believe TJ had a major positive effect on changing some attitudes late in the season.
2 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

This is something I wanted to talk more about this offseason. I was even thinking of having a topic posted just about physical program/facility improvements or needs.

With regard to the practice facility (PF) I originally thought - nah we are getting along fine without one, why spend the coin we don't have - use it elsewhere. However after digging and researching what some of the other schools have I am SO on-board. These state of the art practice facilities are HUGE recruitment tools. It cant be fun to have a practice in the same single court you play on in a dark empty arena.

Anyway keeping the money in mind - I had sort of a lightbulb moment some months back but no one to really talk it through with. Why in gods name wouldn't they use Keaney Gym as a new PF and completely gut overhaul the interior? All the bones are there. It HAS to be significantly cheaper to do a complete interior rather than build from the ground up. It has direct walkable access to the Ryan Center. It keeps historic value. Its big enough that you can make a decent basketball facility and still leave a single court that will be exclusively for volleyball (they certainly don't need the whole building right now).

If they are already planning this Ill feel like a horses ass, but like I said I am out of state and don't really have anyone to talk this through with. Looking forward to comments!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They are planning something similar, but with Tootell West.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

To where exactly?

The question really is to where? Unless a new conference is formed that includes good programs there’s no where to go but down which we don’t want.

They had 6 bids a few years back and 5 bids as well. If the A10 can strengthen themselves to a point where they can consistently earn 4 to 5 bids a year that would be ideal.
I would like to see us continue for the distant future in an improved A10 but with the shaft we seem to get with the postseason awards at every opportunity in addition to motherf*&%ing Fordham still being in the league, stretches my faith. The conference seemingly wishes to attract teams and fans to the south and west at every opportunity. But there are no better conferences knocking on our door right now, that's for sure! There are New England schools blocking us from the Big East, AAC, hell even the ACC where BC is busy pissing away their built-in advantage. Think the Big Ten is interested?
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

I would like to see us continue for the distant future in an improved A10 but with the shaft we seem to get with the postseason awards at every opportunity in addition to motherf*&%ing Fordham still being in the league, stretches my faith. The conference seemingly wishes to attract teams and fans to the south and west at every opportunity. But there are no better conferences knocking on our door right now, that's for sure! There are New England schools blocking us from the Big East, AAC, hell even the ACC where BC is busy pissing away their built-in advantage. Think the Big Ten is interested?
Pretty sure Big East will stay all private/faith based - so thats out of the question. AAC is improving IMO. I see their growth as much more rapid than the A10. Have a look at Temple if you want to see what the move from A10 to AAC would look like, there are a bunch of similarities.

As much as I dislike the A10 for us - there is no where else to go. AAC is the only possibility or fit and I just don't see that ever happening. You also don't want to be the dumpster fire of a better conference - say like DePaul or Rutgers

I know you were likely joking about the Big Ten - lol.
0 x