3/15 | VCU | 12:00PM (NBCSN) | A10 Quarterfinals

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 3/15 | VCU | 12:00PM (NBCSN) | A10 Quarterfinals

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Someone please go to page 44 or 45 on the VCU forum about the game and tell these idiots the coach said it says a lot about “The CULTURE of our program”.

Fucking illerate d-bags.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago Are we gonna actually be favorites?
I would imagine the line will be close to a pick um. URI entered today with an NET Rank of #136 and beat #31 VCU. SBU was #130 and defeated #152 GMU. URI may very well have a higher ranking right before the game. The KenPom rankings are somewhat similar as well. While SBU came on strong in league play, it is worth noting that they played the top four NET ranked A-10 schools just five games (just 1 win) with only one being on the road. URI played these teams nine games (4 wins) with five games away. SBU beat nearly all the weaker A-10 teams but did not do as well aginst the better squads. URI was much more inconsistent playing a tougher schedule. It lost to some of the worst teams but did have more quality wins.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Post-game handshake line video. You decide.

Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

CUT BAIT DOWN THE NETS IN BROOKLYN!!!

2 MORE WINS. LETS GOOOOOO!
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago El Jefe calls out Friar Frank:

I need to see/hear this
Channel 10 will NEVER show that
Or if they do it will be to show that our guys are disrespectful of their star
Carpano is a PC hack. Works for PC, Hosts the PC Coach's show, sucks up to every PC coach possible. Never shows in Kingston UNLESS PC is playing there or it has to be a really BIG URI game. 35 minutes from Cranston studio is just too far.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I love that their fans are so affected by this. We are 100% in their heads at this point and they can't handle it. If there wasn't already there is definitely a full on rivalry in play here now I think.
8 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Someone please go to page 44 or 45 on the VCU forum about the game and tell these idiots the coach said it says a lot about “The CULTURE of our program”.

Fucking illerate d-bags.

I saw the interview and I actually thought he said "coach" as well. Now that you mention it, i'll have to rewind and watch again. "Culture" would make more sense.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago

Fucking illerate d-bags.

I saw the interview and I actually thought he said "coach" as well. Now that you mention it, i'll have to rewind and watch again. "Culture" would make more sense.
He’s been saying CULTURE all year. It’s almost like his tag line.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

The culture talk is a nod to Danny and he’s basically saying not much has changed.

For all the rocky moments this season, even if it ended today we are ahead of where I hoped we’d be at this point in all totality.

We turned a corner and Cox is entirely right to credit culture as the reason why. They decided they were winners again and I don’t see them looking back.

Go Rhody
7 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The VCU board is real upset with Cox and Dowtin. They are trashing them with little knowledge about either of them. They are calling them complete jerks. We have become their most hated opponent. There is also someone from another team on their site that is saying they won’t make the tourney as they have no quality wins. It is really getting them worked up.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Fucking illerate d-bags.

He’s been saying CULTURE all year. It’s almost like his tag line.
And everything he said after that word was describing the culture. There is really no doubt he said culture. But VCU fans are butthurt and I love it.
3 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago The VCU board is real upset with Cox and Dowtin. They are trashing them with little knowledge about either of them. They are calling them complete jerks. We have become their most hated opponent. There is also someone from another team on their site that is saying they won’t make the tourney as they have no quality wins. It is really getting them worked up.
If that ends up being the case (I think VCU is pretty squarely in unless there are some serious upsets) it will be nice to know we deflated both Dayton and VCU’s bubble this year.

Typically I like to see other teams in the A10 make the tournament by whenever possible... but I’d prefer to continue stealing big games away from the Ryan.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago The VCU board is real upset with Cox and Dowtin. They are trashing them with little knowledge about either of them. They are calling them complete jerks. We have become their most hated opponent. There is also someone from another team on their site that is saying they won’t make the tourney as they have no quality wins. It is really getting them worked up.
Can't blame them for being worked up I guess. They have 3 losses in A-10 games this year and 2 of them are to us. We've owned them lately in the A10 tournament. All they have left is conspiracy theories.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

had to watch the game on tape. was able to avoid the internet all day. when I got home I started the recording having no idea the outcome. thought I would stay away from phone calls, texts, FB, etc. thought checking my email would be safe. of course 5 minutes into the game I get the email from URI saying men's bball team advances to semi-finals. UGH! :)

anyway...some thoughts on the game:

the announcers flat out sucked! jeff played off the ball last year and was just moved to point this year when fatts picked up his 4th foul? though of course it took them about 10 minutes of game time to mention fatts had picked up his fourth. mentioned at least twice that RI won the tournament last year.

nice to see the freshman step up in a big way. tate and martin with points and silverio gave some big minutes.

great to see jeff fired up in the post game interview. seems he knows how to direct that anger. great game.

given the Ts called for taunting, surprised Jenkins didn't get one for taunting jeff after his back to back threes. they showed the highlite 5 times...of course no mention by the announcers.

I wonder if santos-silva was mad not to make 1st team all conference. that was a manly effort. moses Malone esque...

I read through all 9 pages to this point. a number of criticisms about the officiating against RI. not surprisingly nobody complained about the no call on Cyril when santos made a layup and got knocked to the floor. nor was there any mention of Tate fouling Jenkins on the 3 pointer at the end of the game. REFS MISS CALLS BOTH WAYS SO STOP YOUR COMPLAINING!
Last edited by RhodyRam86 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

yes...Cox absolutely said "culture".
3 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Fucking illerate d-bags.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Watched bits and pieces of the game at work on mute...any highlights and replay anywhere by chance?
0 x
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago I read through all 9 pages to this point. a number of criticisms about the officiating against RI. not surprisingly nobody complained about the no call on Cyril when santos made a layup and got knocked to the floor. nor was there any mention of Tate fouling Jenkins on the 3 pointer at the end of the game. REFS MISS CALLS BOTH WAYS SO STOP YOUR COMPLAINING!
I'm going to keep complaining about the refs so be prepared to continue getting real mad about it! Seriously though, its so weird to me how angry people get about complaining about refs. It's like calling out 18 year old kids who you don't think play well is totally cool, but how dare you point out that a grown man who is being paid to do a job is bad at doing that job! NOW STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT ANNOUNCERS! :lol:
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I love that their fans are so affected by this. We are 100% in their heads at this point and they can't handle it. If there wasn't already there is definitely a full on rivalry in play here now I think.
Rent free. I've never seen a fan base more mad online.
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago I read through all 9 pages to this point. a number of criticisms about the officiating against RI. not surprisingly nobody complained about the no call on Cyril when santos made a layup and got knocked to the floor. nor was there any mention of Tate fouling Jenkins on the 3 pointer at the end of the game. REFS MISS CALLS BOTH WAYS SO STOP YOUR COMPLAINING!
I'm going to keep complaining about the refs so be prepared to continue getting real mad about it! Seriously though, its so weird to me how angry people get about complaining about refs. It's like calling out 18 year old kids who you don't think play well is totally cool, but how dare you point out that a grown man who is being paid to do a job is bad at doing that job! NOW STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT ANNOUNCERS! :lol:

adam...I'm pretty sure we typically have similar views on this board, but not this time. it wouldn't bother me if people complained about the officiating for both sides. one sided complaining about refs just makes people sound like whiny little babies.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Totally illiterate assholes... look at this reply.

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

adam...I'm pretty sure we typically have similar views on this board, but not this time. it wouldn't bother me if people complained about the officiating for both sides. one sided complaining about refs just makes people sound like whiny little babies.
I hear you, I just think you need to realize when reading back on game threads people (like myself) are posting stream of consciousness type stuff as it happens live. There were multiple times during the game today, including the exact examples you gave, where I turned to the person I was watching the game with and said the refs totally missed calls against us. But I don't come on the board and complain about it. That would be kind of weird I think. Does it bother you that coaches don't complain to the officials about calls missed against their own team.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Totally illiterate assholes... look at this reply.

Seems like these particular VCU clowns are living up to the old adage..."better to let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." :lol: Doubt officially removed.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I can’t help but notice it’s been about three weeks since some of my “favorite” posters have shown up around here. Wonder how those guys are doing? Hope they’re enjoying themselves.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Gotta love ESPN, god do they suck. No mention of Evans causing the skirmish. Nothing but facts ESPN, what a fucking joke

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =401121534
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I can’t help but notice it’s been about three weeks since some of my “favorite” posters have shown up around here. Wonder how those guys are doing? Hope they’re enjoying themselves.
No Ace, either, though! Ace, where are you?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Was wondering the same, actually. Obviously she wasn’t included in my mocking APB, but separate from that would be good to hear from her.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Jeff's as funny as he is talented!

Speaking about Fatts:
"Stop fouling. I told him I needed him back there in that press." :mrgreen:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hey y’all. Lot to unpack. Lot to talk about everything about VCU being classless - from their bench scrubs going at our stars, to their band playing over ours, to their twittersphere in full meltdown. May I humbly add:

Suck our giant Keaney Blue dicks. Enjoy your 3rd consecutive trip home courtesy of the boys from Flagg Rd.

Eat ass and enjoy watching us.
20 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For a fan base that talks a lot of smack (with it often backed up on the court), the VCU fans do surprisingly seem a bit over sensitive when they lose.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Finally able to post. Great team win. If you told me that neither Fatts nor CL would be big factors in this game, I would have thought we’d have lost easily. Or if you told me they’d win anyway I’d have called you crazy.

Onto the semis!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago For a fan base that talks a lot of smack (with it often backed up on the court), the VCU fans do surprisingly seem a bit over sensitive when they lose.
Honestly, they're worse than Friar fans
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Oh and 3rd straight year traveling home during the semis so I’ll miss at least half the game (probably all of tomorrow’s).
Last edited by steviep123 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Fucking illerate d-bags.
45 PAGES ??? Man it’s only 8-10 for this board when we lose but talk about a load of salty fans
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Home from work....awesome win...

Hey we won.

VCU lost. Their fans are a classless bunch.

They are still going to the NCAA tourney. They will get over it...maybe.

Hope the back issue Fatts had yesterday is gone. If not, could have affected his play?
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC.....done! UMass....done! UConn....done! We're still here! I'll sleep well tonight.
9 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Star of the game #11 gets a great interview with Andy Katz:

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status ... 4318331904
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Star of the game #11 gets a great interview with Andy Katz:

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status ... 4318331904
Thanks Pete that was cool!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Gotta be the neon baby!

Go Rhody!!
I saw social media posts complaining about the neon. I dig their color choice because I love bright and fresh sneakers.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gotta say the boys are playing tough. We know the vcu fans are classless, but it sure feels good kicking their ass out of the tournament 3 years in a row. Go ahead vcu and keep talking shit. See you next year for another disappointment
5 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

God i wish this wasn't my weekend on at work, but then maybe its good luck that i can't watch. really would have liked to have seen this one, but wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes links, opinions, articles etc that make it easy to keep up.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I can’t help but notice it’s been about three weeks since some of my “favorite” posters have shown up around here. Wonder how those guys are doing? Hope they’re enjoying themselves.
Mr. Cut Bait aka Mr Thing BIG DO WE is still here. Most fairweather of them all...
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago had to watch the game on tape. was able to avoid the internet all day. when I got home I started the recording having no idea the outcome. thought I would stay away from phone calls, texts, FB, etc. thought checking my email would be safe. of course 5 minutes into the game I get the email from URI saying men's bball team advances to semi-finals. UGH! :)

anyway...some thoughts on the game:

the announcers flat out sucked! jeff played off the ball last year and was just moved to point this year when fatts picked up his 4th foul? though of course it took them about 10 minutes of game time to mention fatts had picked up his fourth. mentioned at least twice that RI won the tournament last year.

nice to see the freshman step up in a big way. tate and martin with points and silverio gave some big minutes.

great to see jeff fired up in the post game interview. seems he knows how to direct that anger. great game.

given the Ts called for taunting, surprised Jenkins didn't get one for taunting jeff after his back to back threes. they showed the highlite 5 times...of course no mention by the announcers.

I wonder if santos-silva was mad not to make 1st team all conference. that was a manly effort. moses Malone esque...

I read through all 9 pages to this point. a number of criticisms about the officiating against RI. not surprisingly nobody complained about the no call on Cyril when santos made a layup and got knocked to the floor. nor was there any mention of Tate fouling Jenkins on the 3 pointer at the end of the game. REFS MISS CALLS BOTH WAYS SO STOP YOUR COMPLAINING!
Just for the record, that was not a foul on Tate. When they showed the replay multiple times from the courtside camera, you can see the shooter pushing out his elbow to initiate contact. And he did a damn good job of it and almost sold it, so we're lucky it wasn't called. But I digress.

I'm so impressed with how this team has come on these last 6 or so games. I have no problem admitting I had all but thrown in the towel after our poor stretch only a few weeks back, so I'm loving how they proved me wrong. They played so damn tough today. Every time it looked like VCU might start to pull away, we grinded back and never let up. As Teddy KGB would say..."haaanging around". And the fact that Fatts and Cyril barely contributed on the offensive end is all the more impressive. The prior tourney experience from our big three is invaluable, and it's permeating the freshman. I f'n love it.

It's a shame the VCU fans are being so whiny and such sore losers. Obviously, it's brutal to lose your best player, especially at a time like this. But it's not like there was hard or flagrant contact that caused it. And I'm also sure it's frustrating as fuk to have dominated this conference like they did for a stretch and now they can't seem to get past us in big games. Oh well. Too f'n bad, that's sports for you. And you know their fans must've been real douches to Dowtin all game for him to get as fired up as he did afterwards. That's out of character for him, so there was certainly instigation there.

At any rate, so happy and can't wait to watch tomorrow. Let's keep this train rolling! Two more, let's get it!!!!!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

EFFIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's not overlook 18 out of 21 free throws. Hopefully there are no more jitters in Tate and Martin and they can play nice and loose tomorrow. Silverio played well against the pressure and was smart enough to call a time out instead of turning the ball over when trapped at mid court toward the end of the game.
Going to need extra minutes tomorrow from all the guys off the bench so we can be pretty fresh for the last 5 minutes of the game. Tomorrow will be another BIG team effort with everyone contributing!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago For a fan base that talks a lot of smack (with it often backed up on the court), the VCU fans do surprisingly seem a bit over sensitive when they lose.
Honestly, they're worse than Friar fans
Ummm, no. Yes, they’re bad, but they haven’t shown the opposite of class for decades as have the Fryuh Faih-weathah Faithful.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

So work kept me from watching games.. thank God for internet and Mrs ram1982.. as today ended she says grocery shop fast we're going to Brooklyn.. loved dc last yr.. out of work at 230.. home at 315.. booked Holiday inn on road from Cumberland at 400 in Brooklyn at 830.. nice cold cold snap.. just have to remember to get Tix to game😁👏👍🏀 Rhody Rhody Rhody....
3 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

It probably doesn't help that we completely own them. losing the last 6 out of 7 can make you go crazy.
Last edited by bkoeppen 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This team is reminding me of the Pats this year. I honestly never thought they would.win it all, either.
This team is a lot different than the one we saw earlier. We're winning tomorrow.
2 x