2019 Jamaica Classic - November 22-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

2019 Jamaica Classic - November 22-24

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/champion ... a-classic/

I want to go. Fly in on a Thursday and back the Monday?
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: 2019 Jamaica Classic - November 22-24

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I'd love to go but its not going to happen. Any word regarding the other teams besides Utah St/LSU?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I didn't see anything on other teams yet. I happened to stumble across the page when I googled because I was curious for what the actual dates were. Assuming if the trip would cost $1,500-$1,700 total hopefully. I don't see any excuse for me to not try to get myself there. I haven't been to Jamaica yet.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The two other named participants - LSU (NET #13 and current record of 25-5) and Utah State (NET #30 and current record of 25-6) are presently very good teams. Unlike Diamond Head, there is no chance of playing a team on its home court.

While past brackets only show the Jamaica games, it looks like this tournament also includes two home games for some teams. Georgetown (Campbell and Central Ct State), South Florida (Austin Peay and FAMU), LMU (Central Ct State and FAMU), and Ohio Univ (Austin Peay and Campbell) also played two other 2018 tourney teams at home this season.

The Jamaica games were televised on CBSSN this past year.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

These kids are doing ok. Hawaii then Jamaica
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

How about we get some tourney's in the US. I went to the one at Disney - was fantastic . Would like to see them play at the tourney in Ft Walton Beach . Easier to get to around the holidays. I also like the New England Tourney each year - Mohegan SUN - can someone please put that together
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URIFIJI wrote: 5 years ago How about we get some tourney's in the US. I went to the one at Disney - was fantastic . Would like to see them play at the tourney in Ft Walton Beach . Easier to get to around the holidays. I also like the New England Tourney each year - Mohegan SUN - can someone please put that together
On a podcast last month, Thorr mentioned they would probably be at the Mohegan Tourney in the season after next. They like them there and will probably be asked to come back every few seasons.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I'd prefer Jamaica over Disney :) but I agree it's an expense and a hike for some of these tourneys.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

This is the month of my wedding. I’m definitely going to try and convince the wife to make Jamaica a honeymoon destination!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago This is the month of my wedding. I’m definitely going to try and convince the wife to make Jamaica a honeymoon destination!
What says celebrating forever more than Rhody Basketball?
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This would be the Tournament I'd love to go to. Unfortunately my most hated team got in. Just announced today. Nice Tournament for Davidson.

LAHAINA, Hawaii -- North Carolina is returning to headline another strong Maui Invitational field in 2020.
The Tar Heels will be joined at the Lahaina Civic Center by:
Alabama
Davidson
Indiana
Providence
Stanford
Texas
UNLV.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As usual a very good field
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago As usual a very good field
The 2020 Maui Invitational field is certainly a great field based on names (includes 3 past national champions). It however may surprise many that only one of these eight teams (UNC) was in the NCAA Tournament this past season. Five of them (Alabama/Davidson/Indiana/PC/Texas) did make the NIT.

North Carolina
Alabama
Davidson
Indiana
Providence
Stanford
Texas
UNLV.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s true a lot of those programs haven’t performed well of late
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Most tournament fields are pretty much getting filled out by now. Wonder who the other five teams in the Jamaica Classic will be.

This site tracks the various tournament fields for next season:
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Most tournament fields are pretty much getting filled out by now. Wonder who the other five teams in the Jamaica Classic will be.

Probably some garbage
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Most tournament fields are pretty much getting filled out by now. Wonder who the other five teams in the Jamaica Classic will be.

Probably some garbage

Still one more of the top four home teams to be named (LSU/URI/USU already named). Hopefully it will come from one of the higher profile leagues. Also would be beneficial if the other four teams contained some decent mid majors.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

Probably some garbage

Still one more of the top four home teams to be named (LSU/URI/USU already named). Hopefully it will come from one of the higher profile leagues. Also would be beneficial if the other four teams contained some decent mid majors.
Last year the four higher level teams were Ohio, Gtown, Loyola Marymount and south Florida.

So this year is already heavier at the top. Hope it keeps trending that way.

Campbell was the best team from their league so that was a fifth strong team. It always helps your numbers when the low major teams you play are one of the better teams in their league.

Helped us last year with Iona CofC FGCU and Asheville all around the top.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This tournament has been getting progressively beefed up since it started just a few seasons ago. I just read where the organizers may be buying a second court floor at a cost of around $100K for additional practice space. Participants overall have been getting better and organizers continue to invest in it.

It certainly can't be any worse than the Diamond Head Classic that Rhody participated in this past year where not one team later made the NCAA Tournament and URI was forced to play a team on its own home court.

Second hardwood floor being contemplated for Jersey Mike Jamaica Classic
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/s ... ofile=1498

2018 Field
Georgetown
South Florida
Ohio
Loyola Marymount
Austin Peay
Central Connecticut State
FAMU
Campbell

2017 Field
Florida State
Colorado State
Tulane
Fordham
Miami-OH
LIU-Brooklyn
Hartford
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
This was announced more than a month ago when this thread was started. Tournament site listed URI back then
Why wouldn’t URI want to publicize this as soon as the general public hears about it?
It’s exciting news so why hold it?
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago This would be the Tournament I'd love to go to. Unfortunately my most hated team got in. Just announced today. Nice Tournament for Davidson.

LAHAINA, Hawaii -- North Carolina is returning to headline another strong Maui Invitational field in 2020.
The Tar Heels will be joined at the Lahaina Civic Center by:
Alabama
Davidson
Indiana
Providence
Stanford
Texas
UNLV.
Who is your most hated team Alabama ? :lol:
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Honestly Stanford has screwed our post season dreams much more than PC has, in my lifetime anyway.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We were on the verge of going to the post season many times. Dave Gavitt took care of that.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
This was announced more than a month ago when this thread was started. Tournament site listed URI back then
Why wouldn’t URI want to publicize this as soon as the general public hears about it?
It’s exciting news so why hold it?
My take is the “official announcement” was to occur after the National Championship took place.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

There was a table in the concourse during the UMASS game advertising ticket/travel packages for this tourney
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago There was a table in the concourse during the UMASS game advertising ticket/travel packages for this tourney
I feel I need to book this soon because if I don’t then I won’t end up going and then will kick myself yet again for not going to one of these. Hawaii was completely out of the question though.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Siena may be one of the other participants in the pod that doesn't host any games.

http://sienahoop.proboards.com/thread/6 ... ing-update
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago This is the month of my wedding. I’m definitely going to try and convince the wife to make Jamaica a honeymoon destination!
What says celebrating forever more than Rhody Basketball?
How about Keaney Blue bridesmaids' dresses?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/

not sure if I missed this in the above thread, but looks like NC A&T was added in addition to LSU, Utah State and URI
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/

not sure if I missed this in the above thread, but looks like NC A&T was added in addition to LSU, Utah State and URI
What happened to North Texas?

NC A&T’s logo is up there with the top 3 teams, but wouldn’t they have to be one of the other four? I hope?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/

What happened to North Texas?

NC A&T’s logo is up there with the top 3 teams, but wouldn’t they have to be one of the other four? I hope?
May just be one of the four non home host schools. There are eight teams total in this tournament. Siena is rumored to be another such team. Probably only teams that have fully signed all contract paperwork are put up on site.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Posts on the Siena fan forum report that the Saints will not play in an MTE tournament this season. If true, would mean that they are not part of the Jamaica Classic. Three teams still to be determined.

Starting to get a little concerned that the field for this is not yet set. Past experience tells us that these tournaments often end up settling when it gets late. Better not have any non D1 schools. Would however imagine the remaining three non host teams will be pretty bad even if they are D1.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This tournament seems like a bust so far.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’s going to be warm there so how bad can it be? In most years, these tournaments offer a chance to juice up the schedule, but next year I’m not sure the schedule is in need of all that much juicing. We will have a shot to pick up a win against a good team, get a little team-building trip in, give the fans an excuse to get out of town and go sit on a beach as the weather starts turning cold...I don’t see much downside.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago This tournament seems like a bust so far.
It will not be a bust if we get four games vs D1 teams with two of them being LSU and USU. The two home games however may not be very attractive opponents.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago This tournament seems like a bust so far.
Why? They have an opportunity to play both LSU and Utah State if things work out. We all know the two other games in most of these tourneys are all junk home games with lower competition. We already lined up a good non conference schedule. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to have a few winnable home games to get them adjusted with so many new faces.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah host teams almost never play against any good competition in the campus round games.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is very unlikely we play both Utah St and LSU. There are two games in Jamaica. Utah St will definitely play LSU in one of their games. The top teams are promised that match up. That would make the scheduling impossible for URI to play both. We will play one of them. Our other game with be against the 4th team that has home games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It is very unlikely we play both Utah St and LSU. There are two games in Jamaica. Utah St will definitely play LSU in one of their games. The top teams are promised that match up. That would make the scheduling impossible for URI to play both. We will play one of them. Our other game with be against the 4th team that has home games.

Many tournaments seed the teams to create a high probability path to the finals for the perceived top teams. If that is the case for this event, LSU and USU would likely be the top two teams and not play one another in the first game at Montego Bay. URI would then probably have to beat one of them in game #1 to possibly meet the other in the final.

Past matchups for this tournament do not appear to have had the best teams meet in the FIRST Jamaica game:

2018 Ohio U vs South Florida, LMU vs Georgetown
2017 Colorado State vs Tulane, Florida State vs Fordham
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It is very unlikely we play both Utah St and LSU. There are two games in Jamaica. Utah St will definitely play LSU in one of their games. The top teams are promised that match up. That would make the scheduling impossible for URI to play both. We will play one of them. Our other game with be against the 4th team that has home games.

Many tournaments seed the teams to have the perceived best play against one another in the finals. If that is the case, LSU and USU would likely be the top two teams and may not play one another in the first game at Montego Bay. URI would then probably have to beat one of them to possibly meet the other.

Past matchups for this tournament do not appear to have had the best teams meet in the FIRST Jamaica game:

2018 Ohio U vs South Florida, LMU vs Georgetown
2017 Colorado State vs Tulane, Florida State vs Fordham
LSU will likely be the 1-seed and will probably play North Texas State (or North Carolina A&T) in the 1st round game. Still not 100%sure who the 4th seed will be

URI will be the 3-seed vs 2-seed Utah State. Only way this changes is if they make Utah State the 1-seed but my guess is the P5 -SEC LSU team garners the 1-seed.

The winners will play for the Championship. The Losers will play for 3rd and 4th place.

No way LSU plays Utah State in the first round. I’d be shocked. They always seed for the Championship Game to be the two strongest teams in the 4-team tournament.

Last year Loyola Marymount pulled the upset and won the 4 team Tournament.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Is it a seeded event? A tweet further up in the thread says it isn’t and that the two games are set before the tournament starts. I’d feel better if the fourth team was officially announced. NC A&T has their logo on the page, but they can’t be the fourth team, can they?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think they can be the 4th team
I think it has to be university of North Texas of another team if they don’t participate.

Last year all teams were announced by about May 25 so I’d expect some news soon.

I’ll be shocked if it’s not a seeded event. Would make for a strange Tournament Championship Game
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think they can be the 4th team
I think it has to be university of North Texas of another team if they don’t participate.

Last year all teams were announced by about May 25 so I’d expect some news soon.

I’ll be shocked if it’s not a seeded event. Would make for a strange Tournament Championship Game
Last year, the four main teams were USF, Ohio, LMU, and Georgetown.

On the first day, USF beat Ohio and LMU beat Georgetown.

On day two, LMU played Ohio and Georgetown played USF.

That would mean the games were already set and not determined by winning.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

Wow. That stinks.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

That was my understanding. That why I said Utah St was guaranteed to play LSU. Without doing that they would struggle to get commitments from Utah St and LSU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of all the Tournaments URI has played in, Daytona, Cancun, Hawaii, Mohegan Sun.......etc, I can never remember one where there was not a bracket with the teams seeded until what looks to be this one. I was planning to go to Jamaica, now going to wait and see.
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

Both Utah St (#23) and LSU (#25) featured on CBSSports Post-Deadline Preseason Top 25 and 1
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6 teams are now listed
LSU
Utah State
URI
North Texas

NC A&T
Nichols State

Siena was originally to be in but dropped out
2 Teams still TBA

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago 6 teams are now listed
LSU
Utah State
URI
North Texas

NC A&T
Nichols State

Siena was originally to be in but dropped out
2 Teams still TBA

Crazy how long it's taking.

What small schools wouldn't wanna play teams like us and go to Jamaica?
0 x