3/9 | Massachusetts | 4:00PM (ESPN+) Senior Day

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

3/9 | Massachusetts | 4:00PM (ESPN+) Senior Day

Unread post by ramster »

Last game of the regular season

Senior Rashaan Holloway with his best game of the season tonight in a UMASS win over Richmond. Holloway went 12-17 FG, 4-6 FT, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnover for 28 points.

Junior Jonathan Laurent came off the bench going 6-8 FG, 4-5 on 3FG, 4-4 FT, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 TOs for 20 points.

Holloway and Laurent were the only UMASS players in double figures in scoring
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/9 | Massachusetts | 4:00PM (ESPN+) Senior Day

Unread post by RF1 »

URI can finish no worse than the 8 seed with the LaSalle loss tonight. Rhody would have the head to head tie breaker with Explorers if both teams finish 8- 10. If SLU hangs on to its lead over Duquesne tonight, the UMass game has no bearing on Rhody's tourney seed. It will be locked in at 8.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Screenshot_20190306-214632.png
Screenshot_20190306-214632.png
Attachments
Screenshot_20190306-214643.png
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings is 78% to win.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good to see Holloway play that well on his senior night.

Now he can take Saturday off lol.

Richmond is awful.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......love to see Preston on Halloway.....add some post defense to his resume......
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For a guy who can't jump, if he gets the ball near the hoop he's going to score.

Have to deny him the ball.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Pipkins transferring? That's not good for the league. Maybe he is going pro?

I think we win this one.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Pipkins transferring? That's not good for the league. Maybe he is going pro?

I think we win this one.
Probably a post-grad closer to home...I'd imagine DePaul, Northwestern, Loyola Chicago all in the mix.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We'll be away and won't be able to watch the game. Does any one know how long ESPN+ keeps these games around? I'd like to watch when we get back.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who can blame Pipkins for leaving?

UMass is a dumpster fire and train wreck all rolled into one.

He might like to go to a program that has a chance of winning......
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago We'll be away and won't be able to watch the game. Does any one know how long ESPN+ keeps these games around? I'd like to watch when we get back.
For a few months
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago We'll be away and won't be able to watch the game. Does any one know how long ESPN+ keeps these games around? I'd like to watch when we get back.
For a few months
Thanks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Who can blame Pipkins for leaving?

This will be the fourth straight losing season for UMass. He had seen his PT diminishing. Pipkins will likely transfer somewhere closer to home to a team that has far better postseason prospects.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wish I could make it tomorrow... (well only a little since I'll be in Miami):

This is the first season that I have not attended at least one game in person since before I went to college. Living over an hour away plus having a toddler and a 5 month old will do that. Next year I hope to take my toddler to her first Rhody game!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Pipkins transferring? That's not good for the league. Maybe he is going pro?

I think we win this one.
Probably a post-grad closer to home...I'd imagine DePaul, Northwestern, Loyola Chicago all in the mix.
They sucked with him, they'll suck without him. The league will be fine, many of the top teams are returning with very few player losses to graduation. From a national perspective, I think the A10 will be looked at very differently next season.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Wish I could make it tomorrow... (well only a little since I'll be in Miami):

This is the first season that I have not attended at least one game in person since before I went to college. Living over an hour away plus having a toddler and a 5 month old will do that. Next year I hope to take my toddler to her first Rhody game!
I wish that shirt was one of those "first 500 fans" kind of deals... oh well.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

And we need to make sure we are not swept by such a program. I’m much more worried about that than I am what happens to Luwane Pipkina.

For a game that really doesn’t mean much (we are locked into the 8th seed in the A10 and won’t play in the postseason unless we win four games in Brooklyn), this game feels like it has a lot of significance: don’t want to be swept by an atrocious UMass team; it’s a rivalry game, even putting the previous game in Amherst aside and the fact that they stink; we have the chance to clinch a winning record for the season, which given the last few years may not seem like much, but in the final analysis I think would be an accomplishment for a young roster with a rookie coach in a “rebuilding year,” especially given where things stood just a couple weeks ago; and a chance to head to Brooklyn with some real momentum towards at least being a factor, which would be a good statement for the program in a down year. Also, the chance for Cyril to acheive a double-double for the year is pretty cool.

For these reasons, I’m going to get to the game on Saturday even though I’d written off doing so a few weeks ago. Hopefully there are others having the same thought and attendance will show the guys we noticed their improved effort and performance and are still behind them.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This UMass game is important for self pride purposes. A win gives Rhody a .500 record of 9-9 in the A-10 and probably assures the program of an overall winning season.
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

And we need to make sure we are not swept by such a program. I’m much more worried about that than I am what happens to Luwane Pipkina.

For a game that really doesn’t mean much (we are locked into the 8th seed in the A10 and won’t play in the postseason unless we win four games in Brooklyn), this game feels like it has a lot of significance: don’t want to be swept by an atrocious UMass team; it’s a rivalry game, even putting the previous game in Amherst aside and the fact that they stink; we have the chance to clinch a winning record for the season, which given the last few years may not seem like much, but in the final analysis I think would be an accomplishment for a young roster with a rookie coach in a “rebuilding year,” especially given where things stood just a couple weeks ago; and a chance to head to Brooklyn with some real momentum towards at least being a factor, which would be a good statement for the program in a down year. Also, the chance for Cyril to acheive a double-double for the year is pretty cool.

For these reasons, I’m going to get to the game on Saturday even though I’d written off doing so a few weeks ago. Hopefully there are others having the same thought and attendance will show the guys we noticed their improved effort and performance and are still behind them.
I totally agree that winning this game is important for this team going forward to the A10s and next season.
On a side note, is this game really still a rivalry game? Maybe for the older fans that remember when UMass was good but that was ages ago. But for younger fans/the players I can't see how they can see it as a rivalry. When they walk in to the Mullins Center with more empty seats than people in attendance it's tough to see it as any different than walking into a game against at least 1/2 of the other A10 teams. I remember when the UMass games were a big deal but that's long gone.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think because of the number of times these teams play and have played, plus the fact that they’re flagship public universities of two neighboring states makes the schools rivals in general in everything they do, regardless of the recent competitiveness in the particular discipline that they’re competing in.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass closed out its home schedule light night with a win over Richmond in front of 2,534 fans. UMass drew a total of just 47,468 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,792 in the 9,493 seat Mullins Center. This was slightly off from the previous 2017-18 season where they drew 50,901 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,994. The school has a total undergraduate enrollment of 23,388 with a high percent of them living on the Amherst campus.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago UMass closed out its home schedule light night with a win over Richmond in front of 2,534 fans. UMass drew a total of just 47,468 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,792 in the 9,493 seat Mullins Center. This was slightly off from the previous 2017-18 season where they drew 50,901 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,994. The school has a total undergraduate enrollment of 23,388 with a high percent of them living on the Amherst campus.
.......wonder what they draw for men’s hockey?......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago UMass closed out its home schedule light night with a win over Richmond in front of 2,534 fans. UMass drew a total of just 47,468 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,792 in the 9,493 seat Mullins Center. This was slightly off from the previous 2017-18 season where they drew 50,901 to seventeen home games for an average of 2,994. The school has a total undergraduate enrollment of 23,388 with a high percent of them living on the Amherst campus.
.......wonder what they draw for men’s hockey?......
UMass fans support highly ranked teams. They had large crowds at the Mullins Center for basketball back in the late 90's and now do so for their hockey team. The nationally #2 ranked UMass men's hockey team is 15-1 at home and plays to an average attendance of 5,050 (8,387 capacity for hockey).

Link:
https://umassathletics.com/documents/20 ... yStats.pdf
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We need a big crowd for this game. It's at an ideal time of day, coming off of a couple of nice wins. And Senior Night (albeit not quite as much of a big deal as in years past relatively speaking).

Hopefully there are a$$e$ in the seats, we'll be there...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m actually not sure that it’s at an ideal time of day, at least if you’re married or dating and have an active social life (i.e., if your significant other doesn’t consider a college basketball game an exciting date). I’m lucky in that I have small children and so no social life whatsoever, but my father (with whom I split my season tickets) isn’t going to this game because the start time will interfere with his social calendar.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

If you actually watched the game on NESN last night - there might have been 500 people there. It was awful
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m actually not sure that it’s at an ideal time of day, at least if you’re married or dating and have an active social life (i.e., if your significant other doesn’t consider a college basketball game an exciting date). I’m lucky in that I have small children and so no social life whatsoever, but my father (with whom I split my season tickets) isn’t going to this game because the start time will interfere with his social calendar.
I can see that angle, but I was thinking more it's something to do before you go out...or if you're me, it's something to do before you stay in for the rest of the evening... :lol:
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m actually not sure that it’s at an ideal time of day, at least if you’re married or dating and have an active social life (i.e., if your significant other doesn’t consider a college basketball game an exciting date). I’m lucky in that I have small children and so no social life whatsoever, but my father (with whom I split my season tickets) isn’t going to this game because the start time will interfere with his social calendar.
So if I go to every game I don’t have an active social life? 😂
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Different kind of social life, maybe? Idk, I’m the wrong person to ask because if I leave my house these days I’m going to work or the Ryan Center, basically.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I love the 4pm starts. Couple drinks, game, grab some dinner somewhere
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I love the 4pm starts. Couple drinks, game, grab some dinner somewhere
That’s true if you’re local.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I love the 4pm starts. Couple drinks, game, grab some dinner somewhere
I'm with you on that. I like it as well.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URIFIJI wrote: 5 years ago If you actually watched the game on NESN last night - there might have been 500 people there. It was awful
I did watch it, and 500 seems generous. Pathetic. Senior night. Great job UMass.

Actually surprised the team played well, for them.

McCall must feel like crawling under a rock....now with Holloway and Pipkins gone...I doubt they'll be much better next season, no matter who they might bring in.

If I was a recruit...I would avoid that place like the plague.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
URIFIJI wrote: 5 years ago If you actually watched the game on NESN last night - there might have been 500 people there. It was awful
I did watch it, and 500 seems generous. Pathetic. Senior night. Great job UMass.

Actually surprised the team played well, for them.

McCall must feel like crawling under a rock....now with Holloway and Pipkins gone...I doubt they'll be much better next season, no matter who they might bring in.

If I was a recruit...I would avoid that place like the plague.
That would not be good for the conference
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Facts. I’m fortunate to have only a 15 minute drive to the RC, but can’t imagine staying around local places if I lived up north, etc.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Going to games IS my social life.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Mine too 74 although we did escape to Aruba a few weeks ago and did miss the Fordham game which is the 1st one I have missed in more than 2 years. Missing that one was no doubt a good thing as I would have gone ballistic if I had to watch it in person.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Facts. I’m fortunate to have only a 15 minute drive to the RC, but can’t imagine staying around local places if I lived up north, etc.
Same here...living close by is a huge bonus!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The closest spot to campus to get a cocktail is Tony’s Pizza and I’m sure their wine and beer assortment is weak. Too bad no one has bought that lot that used to be Twist. At least develop it into something useful.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I have come to enjoy Back 40 in NK as a pre and post game spot for this year and last. It's on the way for me from up north in the state, and has good food and a solid beer selection (if that's your thing). In fact, will be there on Sat. after a swing by Proclamation and Tilted Barn.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I work for a railroad and have seen a train wreck dumpster fire...it is still better than UMass (even though they have our number year in and year out).
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Mine too 74 although we did escape to Aruba a few weeks ago and did miss the Fordham game which is the 1st one I have missed in more than 2 years. Missing that one was no doubt a good thing as I would have gone ballistic if I had to watch it in person.
Not to derail this thread but, what's Aruba like these days? Went there 24 years ago for our honeymoon and are thinking of going back for our 25th.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

spar wrote: 5 years ago I have come to enjoy Back 40 in NK as a pre and post game spot for this year and last. It's on the way for me from up north in the state, and has good food and a solid beer selection (if that's your thing). In fact, will be there on Sat. after a swing by Proclamation and Tilted Barn.
++> Sponsor Plug...Twisted Pizza in Exeter is even closer to the RC and has a decent beer selection usually, too. ;)
Last time I was there, um... every Friday, they had one each from Shaidzon, Whalers, Proclamation, plus a few others others on tap.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Mine too 74 although we did escape to Aruba a few weeks ago and did miss the Fordham game which is the 1st one I have missed in more than 2 years. Missing that one was no doubt a good thing as I would have gone ballistic if I had to watch it in person.
Not to derail this thread but, what's Aruba like these days? Went there 24 years ago for our honeymoon and are thinking of going back for our 25th.
Everyone I know who has been in the past year or two doesn't stop talking about how great it is. Go!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
Going to games IS my social life.
I'm on my Condo Board ( :roll: :roll: ) and someone said "we are having a meeting Saturday 3/9". I told them "I have a hard stop at 2pm because I have a previous commitment" This is mostly because I want to have a snack and adult beverage before the game. These aren't the kind of people I want to be around before a game killing my vibe.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Wish I could make it tomorrow... (well only a little since I'll be in Miami):

I want one of those jerseys!
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

I want one of those jerseys!
Looks cool from the front, my question is...does it have a giant Beltone Hearing Aid logo on the back???? :lol:
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Ah Aruba. If you like it 80-85 everyday, sunny, no humidity and a constant breeze you gotta go. Beaches are beautiful and there are plenty of nice restaurants although they are a little pricey.
We used to go to Puerto Rico but started going to Aruba after the hurricane devastated PR. The climates are pretty similar except for the breeze. The unknown for us is that we don't know how the restaurants we used to frequent in PR have recovered.
Aruba is a little longer flight and you have to deal with customs but we will probably continue to go there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Ah Aruba. If you like it 80-85 everyday, sunny, no humidity and a constant breeze you gotta go. Beaches are beautiful and there are plenty of nice restaurants although they are a little pricey.
We used to go to Puerto Rico but started going to Aruba after the hurricane devastated PR. The climates are pretty similar except for the breeze. The unknown for us is that we don't know how the restaurants we used to frequent in PR have recovered.
Aruba is a little longer flight and you have to deal with customs but we will probably continue to go there.
Yeah, we loved it when we went 24 years ago. That was before the Natalie Holloway murder. Didn't seem like 'one happy island' anymore when that happened. But, we've always wanted to go back and probably will next year.
0 x