The A10 Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 Tournament

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So, how does everyone think we'll do next weekend?

It looks like we will be the 8 seed playing probably LaSalle on Thursday.

Of course with this team's up and down tendencies, nothing is certain how it will all play out, but...

I think we'll beat LaSalle or Richmond fairly easily. Hopefully if that's the case, we can give our backcourt a little rest, and not play JD and Fatts 35+ minutes.

The problem is Friday. VCU plays hard and physical defense, and even if we win that game [which is possible, but not likely imo] we will be a worn out bunch going into Saturday. Too many minutes will be needed from all key players....just not enough depth.

We will have nothing left. So my prediction is we can get to Saturday, but no farther. Thoughts?

Even if we don't beat VCU but at least get to play them, I will be satisfied with that. Next season, expect more.

Enough progress has been made, to look forward to that.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: The A10 Tournament

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I see us winning the 1st game and falling in the second. I don't think the first game in an easy win but still a game Rhody should come out on top. We will need a full game's effort from our regulars and I doubt there will be an opportunity for much rest.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......if the decent/hot shooting continues, and the defense can sustain consistent team 1/2 court intensity, who knows, and having some success and failures with the top teams, and some clunkers along the way, I can see us getting into the weekend......Go Rhody......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With the nagging injuries to the freshmen, that makes things even more difficult to play on consecutive days.

Yes most teams have them, but our lack of depth hurts more than most.

That will also hurt Dayton's chances to win it all.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

One game at a time. This is how this board consistently sets itself up for disappointment. Let’s win Saturday!
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago One game at a time. This is how this board consistently sets itself up for disappointment. Let’s win Saturday!
I've already had about 2-3 conversations in the past 24 hours about Brooklyn. I'm like, " ARE YOU GOING SATURDAY!?" :lol: :lol:
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I started this thread a tad early...but knowing that we will be an 8 or 9 seed win or lose Saturday, unless St.Louis loses twice and we beat UMass.

Of course win Saturday!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My wish for the future is that I can get down to BK Saturday and stay for Sunday. Not sure if Friday is feasible for me now should we win, but hoping for it. I also want to take Amtrak from Kingston because I 100% do not want to drive through CT to get to the MTA.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago I see us winning the 1st game and falling in the second. I don't think the first game in an easy win but still a game Rhody should come out on top. We will need a full game's effort from our regulars and I doubt there will be an opportunity for much rest.
If we win the first game, they can beat anyone. I think Rhodys only true kryptonite is Davidson.
1 x
GO RAMS
Nwizzzy1
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Nwizzzy1 »

I think we are peaking are the right time. The guard play by both dowtin and Fatts has ben great. Plus the freshmen are coming into their roles. I could see us making a run in the A10. Wouldn’t want to play us right now personally.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nwizzzy1 wrote: 5 years ago I think we are peaking are the right time. The guard play by both dowtin and Fatts has ben great. Plus the freshmen are coming into their roles. I could see us making a run in the A10. Wouldn’t want to play us right now personally.
I’ll diagree with the freshman coming into their roles segment.

Martin has disappeared for the past month, Harris barely plays, Tate is “eh” every time he goes in.

To me, the freshman have regressed from where they were in the middle of the season.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

My son asked me last night, what day are we going down and i said Saturday. Here's to seeing everyone there Saturday in the semi-finals.

NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 5 years ago My son asked me last night, what day are we going down and i said Saturday. Here's to seeing everyone there Saturday in the semi-finals.

NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN
I am feeling this.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

If the Rams play the way they have since the Davidson game, they are capable of winning it all and I don't think itis at
all unlikely anymore . However, if they any return to the type of play that existed before the Davidson game they could lose
to UMASS and lose to Lasalle and the season will end abruptly . For some reason I don't see that happening, so run the table
starting against UMASS .
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think we win the 8-9 game then lose to VCU
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Bonaventure beats Saint Louis today to get the valued 4th seed in the A10 Tournament

I would not count this team out from winning the A10
Their two freshmen are playing very well. As is Stockard and Griffen
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we beat La Salle, hopefully Will Wade’s bad juju makes its way to Brooklyn on Friday.

8-)
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thursday 12 noon game isn’t easy.....win that and then

Beat VCU

NIT home game sealed.

Maybe more.

Let’s go!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea any shot at NIT?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm not seeing how an NIT would be clinched let alone a home game with an 18-15 record.

Beating VCU would take this momentum to a crazy level. It's possible, but I think we will have to step it up a whole other notch.

We got our big 3 firing on all cylinders.
CT is playing well, and Preston is coming on.
We would need some offense from Martin, Tate and Harris to pull off a great run.
2 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Beating VCU will not be easy. When Fatts is Fatts, we are tough to defend. I am an optimist. Win one, beat VCU, then who are you afraid of? Let’s dance!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I just want to see us handle LaSalle and get that experience of getting a win in the conf tourney with these young guys and then whatever happens against VCU so be it. Obviously they're really good and will be a tough game to win, but no doubt this team can do it.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody runs the table and wins the A10.
See you guys in Brooklyn!
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Definitely sucks that URI is playing at noon both Thursday and Friday (if they advance).

I like how the A10 has switched up seating to almost entirely general admission seating throughout.

I’ve got tickets for Saturday and Sunday so hoping for a miracle.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I just want to see us handle LaSalle and get that experience of getting a win in the conf tourney with these young guys and then whatever happens against VCU so be it. Obviously they're really good and will be a tough game to win, but no doubt this team can do it.

We've done it!

Definitely need to see us beat La Salle.

If we beat VCU we will feel unstoppable and unless we completely run out of gas I like our chances after that.
St Bonaventure doesnt scare me. Davidson and Dayton sure do, but hey just making the semifinals would be awesome.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tournament Lineup is set.

Wednesday, March13

GAME 1 #12 George Washington vs #13 Massachusetts, 1 PM. On ESPN+.
GAME 2 #11 Richmond vs #14 Fordham, 3:30 PM. On ESPN+

Thursday, March 14

GAME 3 #8 Rhode Island vs #9 Lasalle, Noon. On NBCSN.
GAME 4 #5 George Mason vs GAME 1 winner, 2:30 PM. On NBCSN.
GAME 5 #7 Duquesne vs #10 St. Joseph, 6 PM. On NBCSN.
GAME 6 #6 St Louis vs GAME 2 winner, 8:30 PM. On NBCSN

Friday, March 15

GAME 7 #1 VCU vs GAME 3 winner, Noon. On NBCSN.
GAME 8 #4 St Bonaventure vs GAME 4 winner, 2:30 PM. On NBCSN.
GAME 9 #2 Davidson vs GAME 5 winner, 6 PM. On NBCSN
GAME 10 #3 Dayton vs GAME 6 winner, 8:30 PM. On NBCSN.

Saturday, March 16

GAME 11 - Game 7 winner vs GAME 8 winner, 1 PM. On CBSSN.
GAME 12 - GAME 9 winner vs GAME 10 winner, 3:30 PM. On CBSSN.

Sunday, March 17

GAME 13 - Game 11 winner vs GAME 12 winner, 1 PM. On CBS.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love our chances to beat LaSalle

I then think we have a chance v VCU on the neutral floor we won’t be much of a dog probably 5 or 6
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

I know everyone's already looking ahead to VCU, but let's take care of business against LaSalle, please. If we're all looking ahead to Friday and the team is, too, we're going to get annihilated on Thursday.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

mjg13x wrote: 5 years ago I know everyone's already looking ahead to VCU, but let's take care of business against LaSalle, please. If we're all looking ahead to Friday and the team is, too, we're going to get annihilated on Thursday.
I think Cox will have them ready for Thursday. The team is def not looking past lasalle
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......if the decent/hot shooting continues, and the defense can sustain consistent team 1/2 court intensity, who knows, and having some success and failures with the top teams, and some clunkers along the way, I can see us getting into the weekend......Go Rhody......
......all this with a super hot Fatts, some points and energy/defense by Preston, get Martin to snap out of it and we will be fine......yes just win the next one, speaking of, DiSano made good point on post game that playing the noon game Thursday that Coaches will need to get them ready, get some energy going cause of not much in the building, being the first game.....How much better is a 9-9 league finish than a loosing record.......Go a Rhody.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Not sure what to expect. I think the 1st game is a game they should win. It depends who steps up. I still remember many years ago when Lamont Ulmer came out of shell offensively and helped Rhody to advance in some tough games. If a freshman or Preston steps up I'd say that would change their odds dramatically. If it's just Cyril, Fatts, & Jeff offensively, then they likely won't go past VCU. Although I must admit Rhody looked locked in yesterday. The offensive sets looked good in the beginning of the game. The players all looked like they knew exactly what they were doing. Ryan Preston...yes, Ryan Preston, has really stepped up since his suspension and is playing the best I've ever seen him play. Maybe he can emerge to contribute 8 - 10 a game? That could mean all the difference between Rhody winning by a couple or loosing by a couple. It's going to interesting to watch to see who steps up when the lights are their brightest.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope they win it all. VCU looks like a tough draw though. Take care of Lasalle.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'm torn. Obviously the team is on a roll and seemingly playing their best basketball of the season. But let's keep some perspective. Two of the last four wins have come against teams that will be playing in front of no one in Brooklyn on Wednesday night. And one came against a team that just missed playing Wednesday. On the flip side we've beaten 3 of the 4 teams that are getting double byes.

I feel like we are either going to need a blowout win or some production out of the freshmen against LaSalle to have a chance against VCU. While VCU's style of play works to our favor, they also go about 10 deep. Not sure we will have the depth to stay with them.

We have shown that we can beat anyone in the conference (except for Davidson and I think they can be had as well), but stringing 4 straight is a tall order.

Funny how 2 weeks ago the season couldn't end fast enough and now we can't wait for the conference tourney. If you told me today that we win 2 in Brooklyn (and getting the talking heads discussing the possibility of Rhody stealing a bubble spot) I'd take it.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Maybe we can do it-- it looks as if we get past VCU we will likely have the Bonnies instaead of Dayton or Davidson in the next round.

Go Rhody!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

My guess-should be 6 or 7 point favorites over LaSalle. Same, the other way with VCU. Bonnies pick em
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't think there were many who believed URI could run the table in the final 4 games to finish with a winning record, but they did.
There is the old cliche that you don't have to win 4 in a row you only have to win the next game and after that the following game and
so on, and that is true . I don't see any unwinnable games in the tournament right now, so go beat Lasalle and then we will see . Can
URI beat VCU ? We already know the answer, they already have so can they win four consecutive games ? Yes they can if they continue
hot .
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......maybe think in terms of breaking the next game(s) down into segments, just win the first 10 minutes and then go on from there......just some crazy shit going on in my head to “survive and advance.....”
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes that's the way to think about it section 105. If the players think like that it helps concentration and makes the
task feel smaller and achievable which makes it more likely to be achieved. Obviously, this team has shown the
ability, so all that is left is the mental thing and this helps with that. Incremental successes can produce the
desired goal when strung together. Often coaches talk about winning 4 minute segments of a game as it is
being played, especially when trailing by double digits, bu the concept can work just as well from start to finish.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
1Rhodeisland
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 1Rhodeisland »

If the starting line up needs to be Dowtin, Fatts, Thompson, Preston and Langevine. All veterans who still have a lot of the old system, whove done it, who literally just played the MOST OFFENSIVELY EFFICIENT game since 1984. If you think about it too: there's no film on Preston, hes a lefty, hes really fuckin good (recruited by KState AND Tennessee). Wont be a good feeling stepping in the circle, seeing Preston and go, who the fuck is that guy?? Let's fuckin Go!!
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Very much looking forward to thursday! one benefit of a shitty scheduled manufacturing job is days off during the week, but that of course is followed by me weekend on so hopefully i can follow a cinderella run to the A10 title behind cyril and fatts on my phone this weekend. Still can't believe the turn around here as hopefully we have turned the corner! One thing about Fatts is he is at his best when the bright lights are on imo lets see how far his hot shooting can take us
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

With the rhody ticket promo over I figure I'd point out that all session tickets can be had for less that $100 on stubhub. Looks like a lot of general admission seating. Does anyone know if the tix bought through the schools are for specific seats sections? $100 cheaper is pretty significant
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

And upon further review....if you want to buy tickets to the 4 potential rhody games, it would only cost a total of $44 buying each session separately..
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The 1 seed hasn’t won the A10 championship since SLU 6 years ago. So why not us. It will be a tall task but beat LaSalle and let’s see what happens. Of course don’t look past LaSalle.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Anyone have a designated watering hole near the arena for some early morning pregame refreshments?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

3 A10 talk writers pick URI for a sleeper

https://www.a10talk.com/the-a10-talk-st ... ournament/
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago And upon further review....if you want to buy tickets to the 4 potential rhody games, it would only cost a total of $44 buying each session separately..
That sounds like before stubhub fees.
I bought individual sessions thru the Ticketmaster link on the A10 site. The General Admission sit any where cost me around $50/ticket after the Ticketmaster fees.

Definitely buy the GA sit anywhere option. You should be able to sit in a Rhody section.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 5 years ago Anyone have a designated watering hole near the arena for some early morning pregame refreshments?
URI Alumni Association has events each day.
Thurs is at The Vanderbilt, 570 Vanderbilt Ave, Brooklyn from 10:00-11:30 am.
Cost is $5 if you register in advance or $10 at the door. Includes apps & rhody bag. Cash bar.

Friday will location will come out after they win Thurs.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago 3 A10 talk writers pick URI for a sleeper

https://www.a10talk.com/the-a10-talk-st ... ournament/
...and I was one of them. You could call it bias, but I prefer to think of it as having "inside" information. The fans of a team will know more about how that club is doing at a particular moment than anyone else. Outsiders might nor realize that we're hitting our stride the way we do.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Most have Rhody as the "sleeper" so the basketball world is on notice.
1 x
GO RAMS