Senior Day 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior Day 2019

Unread post by neil »

For all the senior days I have attended one thing is for sure - they come in all shapes and sizes. This year we have a fan favorite and one who struggled to obtain that title.
How can you not like Will? A total team player who cares more about the team than any individual success. I suggested back in the fall that he should be co captain. Might have been a good choice. For the Stony Brook game I had “Thor seats” right next to the ram bench. We fell behind by 12 and Cox takes a time out. While the coaches discuss strategy, Will gathers the team together for some encouragement, and you can easily hear his voice. The team immediately goes on a six-o run. A truly special student athlete, he should be in the starting lineup on Saturday. Thanks, Will! And the very best of luck.
Ryan - I truly can’t figure him out. Physically, a player who should have more minutes. Mentally, who knows. Getting a T last year in our clinching the league championship makes no sense. To his credit, he was one of the first off the bench during a time to congratulate the players. One hopes he gets his act together and finds a future in basketball. Best of luck.
I welcome all additional comments. Also, please stand for Stan Wright at halftime.
10 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Senior day

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Always enjoy your senior day posts, Neil. I've been to a lot of them, but I know you've been to a lot more. Will Stan be in the building? That would be great. One of my favorites. He was in school the same 4 years that I was.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

IIRC, Stan would be a premier player today. He was 6-4, strong, with a nice jumper -- could play inside and outside.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago IIRC, Stan would be a premier player today. He was 6-4, strong, with a nice jumper -- could play inside and outside.
He did everything well. Shoot, pass, rebound, defend. Certainly deserves the HOF. Just wondering why it took so long. His brother should be in too.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

One of the best Ryan Preston moments was the Seton Hall swat two Thanksgivings ago.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......both should start, with Will being introduced last......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Stan will be introduced at half time with the other hall of famers
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 5 years ago Stan will be introduced at half time with the other hall of famers
Awesome!
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

neil wrote: 5 years ago For all the senior days I have attended one thing is for sure - they come in all shapes and sizes. This year we have a fan favorite and one who struggled to obtain that title.
How can you not like Will? A total team player who cares more about the team than any individual success. I suggested back in the fall that he should be co captain. Might have been a good choice. For the Stony Brook game I had “Thor seats” right next to the ram bench. We fell behind by 12 and Cox takes a time out. While the coaches discuss strategy, Will gathers the team together for some encouragement, and you can easily hear his voice. The team immediately goes on a six-o run. A truly special student athlete, he should be in the starting lineup on Saturday. Thanks, Will! And the very best of luck.
Ryan - I truly can’t figure him out. Physically, a player who should have more minutes. Mentally, who knows. Getting a T last year in our clinching the league championship makes no sense. To his credit, he was one of the first off the bench during a time to congratulate the players. One hopes he gets his act together and finds a future in basketball. Best of luck.
I welcome all additional comments. Also, please stand for Stan Wright at halftime.
Neil i was wondering when we were going to get this post this week. This year is a little different in that no seniors has been a big contributor but i agree, I always stand for our seniors because they are a part of our family. Rhode Island Born and Rhode Island Bred
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Two years ago I taught an accounting class and had Will in my front row. You could tell he was tired, and stressed out (this was just after he made the team). I asked him one day what was on his mind and he mentioned that he had to do well in this class because the team was counting on him to get a high GPA. It was something I never realized the walk-ons dealt with before then, but could tell he wanted to make them proud...and he did. He came to every tutor session he was able to and stayed after class to ask questions. Not to be forgotten, he was also as kind as they come.

Best of luck to Will, and of course to Ryan as well!
14 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

HASwatTeam wrote: 5 years ago Two years ago I taught an accounting class and had Will in my front row. You could tell he was tired, and stressed out (this was just after he made the team). I asked him one day what was on his mind and he mentioned that he had to do well in this class because the team was counting on him to get a high GPA. It was something I never realized the walk-ons dealt with before then, but could tell he wanted to make them proud...and he did. He came to every tutor session he was able to and stayed after class to ask questions. Not to be forgotten, he was also as kind as they come.

Best of luck to Will, and of course to Ryan as well!
That’s the reason the kids at the end of the bench are referred to as “swimmers.” Many of them are there for their classwork in addition to their teamwork.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Buckets......is this his last game?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......both should start, with Will being introduced last......
if Will doesn't dance onto the court when introduced, I will be very disappointed.

He's one of those crucial chemistry guys, even if us fans dont get to see the full impact. You can tell how much the team loves him and how much they see him bring to the table.

for all the fun he has, and laughs we got from his sideline moves, this is my favorite Will moment

3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

had not seen this before. makes me really happy for the kid. thanks for posting DP!
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: Senior Day 2019

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I haven't seen this video before. I wish it was on Facebook, for all to see. To me, this is the highlight of an otherwise disappointing season. It's why we love amateur sports.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This was a pretty big deal when it was announced in early September. I think this video was also the top pinned tweet for the men’s basketball account well into the season. Got a thousand likes/retweets. Also 4 thousand Instagram views.

All local media had coverage. Video has received over 13 thousand views on YouTube plus who knows how many thousand on gorhody.com. Even we here at KeaneyBlue were thrilled to learn the news.

Glad you finally saw it, because it was awesome.

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago I haven't seen this video before. I wish it was on Facebook, for all to see. To me, this is the highlight of an otherwise disappointing season. It's why we love amateur sports.
It is on the Rhode Island Rams Facebook page.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I think Will Leviton helped turn the season around. We had just lost 6 of 7 and were getting crushed by VCU by 30 some points. The team had looked disinterested and showed very little desire to win during that stretch. Will came in the game against VCU 2 minutes left. He played harder and showed more emotion in those 2 minutes than anyone else had all season. The next game we lost to Davidson but we played hard. Now we have won 3 in a row, playing hard and looking like they care. I think Will's 2 minutes against VCU set an example for the rest of the team and has carried over ever since.
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Fatts latest IG story post says “last game at the Ryan Center tomorrow”

Let the conspiracy theories commence.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Fatts latest IG story post says “last game at the Ryan Center tomorrow”

It could be “...of the season”.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Fatts latest IG story post says “last game at the Ryan Center tomorrow”

It could be “...of the season”.
That was my thought when I saw it as well.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m certain that’s what it means...however, subconsciously I’m sure some will think it means more.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ha ha the Fatts should transfer and he’s a D2 player Rocket Surgeons should chime in!

Ha ha ha!!!😂
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Christion is graduating and the staff knows he's leaving, would they honor him today?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would say yes, Billyboy.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
Will will do well in life. His mother must be very proud. I look forward to cheering him on this afternoon.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m a fan of both of these guys, off court antics aside, Preston gives all he has on the floor and we all know how awesome Levitons ride has been. Let’s beat dem massholes.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Didn't Pipkins announce before UMass's senior day that he was leaving as a grad transfer?

I know they didn't honor him, just Holloway.

So maybe URI wouldn't honor CT, as well? If he was leaving, that is.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Didn't Pipkins announce before UMass's senior day that he was leaving as a grad transfer?

Hopefully he’s not. Very clear in this last stretch that he’s a useful piece when he’s playing hard.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Ha ha the Fatts should transfer and he’s a D2 player Rocket Surgeons should chime in!

Ha ha ha!!!😂
“I need to review tape of his play to see if he’s improving because I don’t agree. When I played JV ball I would always...”
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Didn't Pipkins announce before UMass's senior day that he was leaving as a grad transfer?

Not all schools follow the same logic for senior day. PC is honoring three today that are expected to graduate this year. Two of them may be back playing at PC next season as they may still have eligibility.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Preston is really athletic played 30 minutes today

I think he should have been getting about 20 minutes a game all year

Glad Cox is going to him now at least
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Preston is really athletic played 30 minutes today

I think he should have been getting about 20 minutes a game all year

Glad Cox is going to him now at least
If he can carry that kind of play into the A10 tourney he will be a nice curve ball that teams probably haven't prepped for. I thought he looked great yesterday watching at the RC, but I also dont know what I'm looking at.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Will is the "Rudy" of URI Men's Basketball. "Rudy"....I mean....Will, Will, Will, Will, Will!
Good to see Ryan Preston having a good night! He's actually emerged the last few games and played some good minutes for the team. He no longer looks lost or out of position on defense.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Best Senior day ever. If that was a movie it would have been scripted that exact way. Glad to have been there to see it all!
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 5 years ago Best Senior day ever. If that was a movie it would have been scripted that exact way. Glad to have been there to see it all!

While it was great I'm not sure it was better than TJ Buchanons senior day when they showed his girl and his baby on the jumbotron saying they were healthy and they loved him and youncofski hitting that floater.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 5 years ago Best Senior day ever. If that was a movie it would have been scripted that exact way. Glad to have been there to see it all!

While it was great I'm not sure it was better than TJ Buchanons senior day when they showed his girl and his baby on the jumbotron saying they were healthy and they loved him and youncofski hitting that floater.
........and TJ kissed the center court logo......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ryan Preston played only 16 minutes total in the 10 games previous to the last two games of the season. He grabbed 3 rebounds during those 10 games.
2nd to the Last game he had 24 minutes and 6 rebounds.
Against UMASS Preston played 30 minutes with 6 rebounds, 12 points on 6-9 shooting

One wonders what the effects of Preston’s I’ll advised tweet we’re on this team. Have to give Cox credit for keeping the incident within the walls of the team. Guessing that the incident resulted in some heart to heart discussions between Preston and Cox. Also likely the incident sparked some discussions between Cox and the entire team.

Whatever happened, URI has been playing much better of late. More confidence, better defense, more passion, better shooting, better passing.

Did the incident serve as a wake up call to coaches and players alike?

Have to give a lot of credit to Cox and to Preston. Love how Preston seems to have put the incident behind him and is playing such good, inspired basketball the past two games.

Well done by all involved.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Great senior game, great to see Will lifted to his teammates shoulders in celebration and great to see Preston get good run, he looked smooth and accomplished. But yeah, TJ's senior game was the one that made me cry, full on tears. I know Will has the same energy, but I've never known a Ram player that worked harder, hustled harder, tried to do the right thing, make the right play, sacrificed his body to get down for every lose ball. I can't recall one single play Buchanan loafed on, in four years, never happened. Sometimes we forget how much pressure players are under to entertain us, the fans. When a player gives all to Rhody hoops, they are honoring us, every fan, every alumn, every member of this community that they like or dis-like, they give all for us. I cried I think because TJ doesn't know me and yet he gave his greatest effort for me and all of us. To all players giving their all, we appreciate you!!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Ryan Preston played only 16 minutes total in the 10 games previous to the last two games of the season. He grabbed 3 rebounds during those 10 games.
2nd to the Last game he had 24 minutes and 6 rebounds.
Against UMASS Preston played 30 minutes with 6 rebounds, 12 points on 6-9 shooting

One wonders what the effects of Preston’s I’ll advised tweet we’re on this team. Have to give Cox credit for keeping the incident within the walls of the team. Guessing that the incident resulted in some heart to heart discussions between Preston and Cox. Also likely the incident sparked some discussions between Cox and the entire team.

Whatever happened, URI has been playing much better of late. More confidence, better defense, more passion, better shooting, better passing.

Did the incident serve as a wake up call to coaches and players alike?

Have to give a lot of credit to Cox and to Preston.
Not only did Preston play great but Cox at times had him as focal point in the offense when Harris was out of the game at times playing him in the high post. Preston handled the ball nicely in the high post squaring and firing multiple nice passes.

Like I said in the game post I am shocked how well URI bigs are handing the ball in the high post. The turnaround and the installation and effectiveness of the high post sets is elite coaching.

Preston now has game tape to use in securing off shore basketball employment as well.

Remarkable.

Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A magical afternoon! One item that might have gone lost with all the subplots was Jeff. Even Steve on the post game said “ and Jeff had fourteen. When we needed a big play/basket, Jeff was there. A couple of key hoops when the lead dropped to sixteen (sorry, I go crazy when the lead tends to disappear)He remains the glue of the team! Go Rhody!
1 x