3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island at Saint Joseph’s
Hagan Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
7:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
Saint Joes Fan Site

Opponent
Record:
13-16, 6-10 in the A10
Last season: 16-16, 10-8 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 184
KenPom: 188
NCAA NET: 173

Leaders (Current):
Points – Charlie Brown Jr, 19.2 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Taylor Funk, 5.7 (Soph., G)
Assists – Jared Bynum, 4.5 (Fr., G) (1.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 45-57
H: 25-23, A: 18-31, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 3/10/18 90-87 W at A10 Tournament
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Matchup Predictor: 47.6% Chance of URI Winning
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RF1 »

Always remember - its is five versus eight on the court at Hawk Hill.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Team Tankngs gives us 49% to win.....I doubt they took into effect the five vs eight thing....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This one's a true coin flip in my mind. If Rhody plays like they have the past two games it's a W.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The 5 vs 8 "thing" is a myth and sounds VERY whiny...hopefully, the board grows out of it someday ;)
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago The 5 vs 8 "thing" is a myth and sounds VERY whiny...hopefully, the board grows out of it someday ;)
You have not been following URI basketball long enough to have had many Hawk Hill experiences. The ref thing there goes back to the 1980's. It is well deserved.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I have been to Hawk Hill and seen several games from there. I believe the unfair ref treatment is a myth that people here love to ride...
Rhody hasn't lost there since January 2016...oh, but wait, the refs have had this one circled and are probably gearing up for us now. So, even though it's been three years since we (probably? :roll: ) got ref-jobbed there...they're just a-waiting to do it to us again? Yeah, yeah, that's the (imaginary) ticket! :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If the ref thing is so true and you believe it then you should betting the house on St Joe every year.......or do the bookies build the referee corruptness into the point spreads?
Is this Ref corruption only for URI or for all visiting teams?
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

What happened to St Joes this season? They were picked 2nd in the A10 preseason rankings and have a worse record than us. I know they lost Demery and Newkirk from last year but they got Charlie Brown back. Anyone have a scouting report?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

St. Joe’s has been marginally better lately than they started conference play, and as usual they’ve been a bit better at home than on the road. They did get curb stomped by SBU at Hawk Hill not too long ago. That was 4 days after they smoked LSU in the same building. They’ve been pretty erratic this year, not unlike us. For that reason, I would not bet this game pretty much no matter what the line is, but especially because it will probably be no more than a one or two point line in either direction (my guess is SJU -1.5).

As far as the refs, all venues that provide a strong home court advantage give you the feel that the refs are working against you. Sometimes it is perception, sometimes it is reality - not that the refs are on the take, but they’re human and can be influenced by and caught up in the environment.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago I have been to Hawk Hill and seen several games from there. I believe the unfair ref treatment is a myth that people here love to ride...
Rhody hasn't lost there since January 2016...oh, but wait, the refs have had this one circled and are probably gearing up for us now. So, even though it's been three years since we (probably? :roll: ) got ref-jobbed there...they're just a-waiting to do it to us again? Yeah, yeah, that's the (imaginary) ticket! :lol: :lol:
Haven't lost there since 2016 is a little misleading. You're talking about a one game sample where we were called for 9 more fouls
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Payback time!
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago The 5 vs 8 "thing" is a myth and sounds VERY whiny...hopefully, the board grows out of it someday ;)

thank you!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am not buying the conspiracy theory here

If we play to our capabilities we can win this
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Broken jaw Jarvis. Knocked out Kuran.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Thought we'd have a chance to spoil their senior night (a little payback), but they honored their seniors on Saturday.
0 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Thought we'd have a chance to spoil their senior night (a little payback), but they honored their seniors on Saturday.
What's the deal with that?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

mjg13x wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Thought we'd have a chance to spoil their senior night (a little payback), but they honored their seniors on Saturday.
I assume teams target weekends to do it as a courtesy to players' family members that want to attend. But I'm choosing to believe they were afraid to give URI any extra motivation.
3 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Ahhh, good times. February of 98. I remember being at this game.

4 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Just in case we want to see a buzzer shot for the win to get fired up for this game...

3 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago Ahhh, good times. February of 98. I remember being at this game.

Ha ha you beat me to it Spook!

Well done, the inner tube assault is creme de la creme.

....and respect to the hawk the flapping never stopped!

Ha ha ha!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Broken jaw Jarvis. Knocked out Kuran.
That was at home.

I remember because I physically restrained myself from running onto the court and giving the refs a foul to call.

Hurley had to be restrained as well. There weren't even fouls called on those plays.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago Ahhh, good times. February of 98. I remember being at this game.

I was in 8th grade when this happened and my brother would have been a sophomore here. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. :lol: :lol:
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago Just in case we want to see a buzzer shot for the win to get fired up for this game...

Yes, another gem!! I was working in the SID office my freshman year - tried to see if I could see myself at the scorers table right now. Can't believe that was 16 years ago, WTF!
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Love it! Remember it fondly!

The Ram used to be so much more active. Sliding down the aisles of Keaney on Sleds, Lifted by the cheerleaders... anyone remember the game he was ejected for sticking up his middle finger? (even though he's only got 4???)
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RamIt! wrote: 5 years ago
Love it! Remember it fondly!

The Ram used to be so much more active. Sliding down the aisles of Keaney on Sleds, Lifted by the cheerleaders... anyone remember the game he was ejected for sticking up his middle finger? (even though he's only got 4???)
Gave the ring finger.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

was ECR "Rhody" for this ?

ha.. no.. but i did try out for the mascot and probably would have done this to that stupid bird flapping his wings nonstop for the entire damn game !
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And no calls. On our home floor.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Tobe fair, both plays received foul calls after monitor review . The strange thing was that Jarvisinitially also received a foul on his play
and St. Joes was still given two free throws even though a flagrant one was called on St. joes after the review.
1 x
JoeCabrey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JoeCabrey »

It's been a 3rd consecutive injury riddled year with Charlie Brown missing some time with a foot injury then Checco Oliva for a while with a concussion and then after his return down again for the year (and perhaps forever) with a horrific knee injury at Duquesne that went viral. Anthony Longpre for a stretch with a concussion and Fresh Kimble for a longer stretch with a fractured hand. Finally (so far) Markell Lodge was also lost for the season with a hand injury that required surgery. His parents missed a bit of time coming up from North Carolina to be with him for the surgery and couldn't miss more time so they asked Phil if Senior Day could be on the weekend instead of Tuesday.

Phil polled the team and no one had any objections so our Senior Day celebration for the first time was not held before the final regular season game at Hagan Arena.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

JoeCabrey wrote: 5 years ago
It's been a 3rd consecutive injury riddled year with Charlie Brown missing some time with a foot injury then Checco Oliva for a while with a concussion and then after his return down again for the year (and perhaps forever) with a horrific knee injury at Duquesne that went viral. Anthony Longpre for a stretch with a concussion and Fresh Kimble for a longer stretch with a fractured hand. Finally (so far) Markell Lodge was also lost for the season with a hand injury that required surgery. His parents missed a bit of time coming up from North Carolina to be with him for the surgery and couldn't miss more time so they asked Phil if Senior Day could be on the weekend instead of Tuesday.

Phil polled the team and no one had any objections so our Senior Day celebration for the first time was not held before the final regular season game at Hagan Arena.
That's respectable.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That is absolutely hilarious! Thanks for digging it up!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Projo Bill Koch on tonight’s game....

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... urney-spot
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The refs were definitely on the take in that one, but it was in the rc
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will probably lead this one at halftime with the calls pretty even....then Martelli will come out and talk to the refs during halftime....and then like magic the calls will all go against us,

Don't believe it? It's happened....a LOT.

For some of you younger fans...there was a game at Joe's where Al Skinner's team got hosed to the tune of....Joe's shot 66 free throws in that game....most of them in the 2nd half...and we lost by 2 or 3.....

URI has been on the wrong end of some screw jobs in the past, but that one took the cake. I think most of the team fouled out.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We will probably lead this one at halftime with the calls pretty even....then Martelli will come out and talk to the refs during halftime....and then like magic the calls will all go against us,

Don't believe it? It's happened....a LOT.

For some of you younger fans...there was a game at Joe's where Al Skinner's team got hosed to the tune of....Joe's shot 66 free throws in that game....most of them in the 2nd half...and we lost by 2 or 3.....

URI has been on the wrong end of some screw jobs in the past, but that one took the cake. I think most of the team fouled out.
Was that the game where Skinner got T'd up just for taking off his coat and throwing it onto his seat?
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think so. If we so much as breathed on them they called a foul.

Joe's however could do whatever they wanted and get away with it.

Worst case of homerism I've ever seen. What was the name of the bald ref who called most of the fouls?

He boned us almost every time he called one of our games. If Dan was our coach then, he would have been admitted to Howard after the game.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

So we should be able to update our conference record now to 7-10. This one is in the books as an L.

Based on what I'm reading here, I'm not sure why anyone would bother to aggravate themselves by watching this game. It's being played 5 vs 8. Zebras on the take. Martelli essentially refereeing the game himself. I imagine by the time we get to the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half we'll be seeing Tertsea, Datika and Leviton on the floor...well...with the refs calling fouls on all our guys for daring to breathe, they are all but sure to foul out.

I wonder why Coach Cox hasn't just forfeited this game? Another stupid non decision on his part. Chalk it up to first year coaching. Hurley surely would have forfeited.

Oh...well...The Bachelor Women Tell All episode is on tonight. As we all know what is going to happen on Hawk Hill at least I'll be able to watch something with a little drama.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you REALLY want drama (and I know you're being sarcastic), watch the Celtics.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Omar is just now boarding his flight from the DR....
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seems odd in regards to Omar, no clue if he is flying to Philly or back to Kingston. Unless he is injured, and the only place to get the treatment is in the DR this trip seems oddly timed.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't want to speculate on what happened. It seems to be family related. See his twitter.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You have to think he's missing tonight's game...back to Kingston I would guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago So we should be able to update our conference record now to 7-10. This one is in the books as an L.

Based on what I'm reading here, I'm not sure why anyone would bother to aggravate themselves by watching this game. It's being played 5 vs 8. Zebras on the take. Martelli essentially refereeing the game himself. I imagine by the time we get to the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half we'll be seeing Tertsea, Datika and Leviton on the floor...well...with the refs calling fouls on all our guys for daring to breathe, they are all but sure to foul out.

I wonder why Coach Cox hasn't just forfeited this game? Another stupid non decision on his part. Chalk it up to first year coaching. Hurley surely would have forfeited.

Oh...well...The Bachelor Women Tell All episode is on tonight. As we all know what is going to happen on Hawk Hill at least I'll be able to watch something with a little drama.
Since this game is impossible to win due to 8-5 then fans could watch the 14th place women’s team on ESPN+ vs #3 seed Duquesne at 7pm. Maybe we get an upset tonight????
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago You have to think he's missing tonight's game...back to Kingston I would guess.
Maybe. But maybe not.
Attachments
22D57227-32C1-4A37-AEE1-9DA87BEFA0F2.jpeg
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

This is a big game for us because depending how things work out over the next couple of days there could be four teams in the A-10 with 7-10 records going into the last game of the season all fighting for the single bye. One of them won’t get it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Doesn’t matter regarding the game for Silverio because Cox doesn’t play him anyway. Wish him the best with his situation requiring a return to the DR
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No Omar tonight.

Last edited by adam914 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would be especially hard to imagine him playing a lot tonight, even under normal circumstances - a hostile road environment late in the season where there are seeding implication in play is not always a good recipe for fringe-rotation freshmen. But, considering the extenuating circumstances of him having been away from the team during prep, presumably for reasons that could potentially impact his focus, and getting off a plane barely 2 hours before tip would make whatever slim chance he had of seeing the floor anyways, even slimmer.

But, that doesn’t mean it’s not important for him and for the team for him to be there if he can get there. Especially if he is going thru something.

(Obviously it is not certain he will be there just based on the fact that there is a flight from the DR going into Philly tonight - that’s true most every night, I’m sure.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago No Omar tonight.

Bill says he didn’t travel with the team. Again, I don’t know he flew into Philly to meet his team and I don’t expect that he’d be available to play even if he did.
0 x