3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island at University of Dayton
University of Dayton Arena, Dayton, OH
Friday, March 1, 2019
7:00PM

Media
TV: ESPN2
Online: ESPN Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
Dayton Fan Site
Another Dayton Fan Site
Blackburn Review
Dayton Daily News

Opponent
Record:
19-9, 11-4 in the A10
Last season: 14-17, 8-10 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 60
KenPom: 58
NCAA NET: 68

Leaders (Current):
Points – Josh Cunningham, 14.3 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Trey Landers, 6.8 (Jr., G)
Assists – Jalen Crutcher, 5.6 (Soph., G) (2.6 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 16-19
H: 9-6, A: 6-9, N: 1-4
Most Recent Matchup: 2/9/19 77-48 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Dayton
Matchup Predictor: 12.3% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by ace »

Can’t even enjoy that win for a minute before getting into Dayton?!

I want a repeat of that game in Dayton a few years ago without Hassan and EC. Unexpected and a lot of fun.
4 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

ace wrote: 5 years ago Can’t even enjoy that win for a minute before getting into Dayton?!
You are actually allowed to post in both threads at the same time. :D
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KenPom gives URI a 17% chance to win and predicts a 73-62 Dayton victory.

So figure a spread of Dayton -11 and an o/u of 134.5.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago KenPom gives URI a 17% chance to win and predicts a 73-62 Dayton victory.

So figure a spread of Dayton -11 and an o/u of 134.5.
I will take Rhody with the points if that is the spread
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I want to see a competitive game....keep up the good play. Hopefully they've turned the corner.

Winning would be a huge bonus...but that would be a huge upset. Dayton with a 7 man rotation is firing on all cylinders.

Becoming consistently GOOD is the goal.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If GW was a must-win, this is near-equally important.

GW was a bad team - but we beat them because we played (shot the ball) extremely well AND because they're a bad team.

Very tough road environment, game that would guarantee we don't play Wednesday in Brooklyn, and most importantly would show that last night wasn't an anomaly.

Somebody get Marquis Jones in the building!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to play with energy and purpose on the road as well as at home.

That's the next step in the maturation of this team and coach.

If we get down early we can't fold the tent and quit. That's a concern here.

Show some fight. That's what good teams do. Maybe TJ if he's going to be an assistant will help.

Was never a shortage of that when he was playing for us.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Can’t even enjoy that win for a minute before getting into Dayton?!
You are actually allowed to post in both threads at the same time. :D
It’s not about posting- it’s about celebrating, cherishing, feeling happy! You’re harshing my mellow, dude.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I want a repeat of that game in Dayton a few years ago without Hassan and EC. Unexpected and a lot of fun.

but we don't have andre ;(
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Good lord, we are going to get killed.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We beat Dayton a lot when we aren't supposed to. Go win another!
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Like last Friday, I'm not expecting a win. But I'll be very happy if they play hard and make Dayton earn it. And they need to prove to Dayton that the earlier blowout was a one off.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton is coming on strong right now I think they are the 2nd best team in conference behind VCU sorry Davidson

We win that game it’s a pretty big upset
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think Dayton is the best team in the league right now and the favorite to win the tournament. However, I still think URI can give them
a game if the defense can be as suffocating as it was against WV. it is a tall order, but possible especially if the Flyers take them lightly
which they tend to do after big wins at Davidson and the rout at UMASS. We will see. Dayton may not be looking past URI because if they
win thefinal three and advance to the tournament final having won7 in a row, they have a shot at an at large bid even if they lose the final.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do you really believe that we will hit our treys with a hand in our face?
Do you really think that Fatts will show up this time?
The best we can hope for is that Anthony Grant won't humiliate David Cox again this time.
This coming off-season our team next year will be awesome!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Normally I have great respect for the Dayton Flyers fans though I have a brush with some of their more obnoxious fans in Brooklyn, but this piece from the Blackburn Review prior to our recent game with them is disturbing. The opening paragraph is clearly an overt display of racisim which has no place in college athletics. It is despicable.

"Rhode Island, as a whole, is a very Italian state and I assume that URI’s student body reflects this, so keep an eye out for any Guidos and Guidettes among the dozens of students in attendance. Italians’ olive-hued skin has a way of looking grey during the winter months, so don’t be alarmed if you think you see some black-haired zombies in the Ryan Center.

In the second he takes an ignorant pot shot at URI as an academic institution. Talk about being behind current information and reality.

"Much like UMASS, URI is a state school in the Northeast, so all of the students are slightly embarrassed that they go there. What’s up with there being good state schools scattered around the rest of the country, but there are none east of Pennsylvania?"

And in the third paragraph disparages our fan base and in the process uses a dated Ryan Center photo as shown by the old floor and students sitting behind the visitors bench. And silly me, I thought journalism was topical and up-to-date.

"Anyway, the reason people are hitting up Kingston is to watch the Fly Boys in a Saturday matinee. Rhode Island is known for being the smallest state and their dog shit fan base takes that to heart, as their paltry attendance shows. They would do well to emulate their superiors at Providence College, they might learn a thing or two."

These vile comments are not worthy of a resident of even a sophisticated place like New York City, but they come from a fan in Dayton. Enough said.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good natured shit talking can be cool among fan bases. It doesn’t have to even always be good-natured; it can go to “roast” levels as long as it is funny. I’m here for it. Not really offended by good jokes at my expense. Good jokes usually hit home, too. This is none of that. The shots don’t even make sense, so not a lot of potential for them to land.

I agree that I’ve generally liked the Flyer fans I’ve met over the years, and my cousin went to Dayton so theyre one of my favored A10 teams. I’m not going to hold it against all the other Dayton people that the Blackburn Review guy played himself trying to be funny (and failing in mortifying fashion).
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Funny they talk about academic standing when they took a kid (Toppin) whose transcript would NEVER have allowed him to get into Rhody. He had something like a 1.0 GPA from what I have heard. We were interested in him but DH knew he couldn't get him into school and called off the chase.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well they [Dayton] took a chance on him and it looks like it paid off for them at this point.

During his year of ineligibility he must have raised his grades enough....although who knows how that was done...wink wink nod nod
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Well they [Dayton] took a chance on him and it looks like it paid off for them at this point.

During his year of ineligibility he must have raised his grades enough....although who knows how that was done...wink wink nod nod
Daytons a private liberal arts catholic school.. I'm sure they care so much about his grades
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Normally I have great respect for the Dayton Flyers fans though I have a brush with some of their more obnoxious fans in Brooklyn, but this piece from the Blackburn Review prior to our recent game with them is disturbing. The opening paragraph is clearly an overt display of racisim which has no place in college athletics. It is despicable.

"Rhode Island, as a whole, is a very Italian state and I assume that URI’s student body reflects this, so keep an eye out for any Guidos and Guidettes among the dozens of students in attendance. Italians’ olive-hued skin has a way of looking grey during the winter months, so don’t be alarmed if you think you see some black-haired zombies in the Ryan Center.

In the second he takes an ignorant pot shot at URI as an academic institution. Talk about being behind current information and reality.

"Much like UMASS, URI is a state school in the Northeast, so all of the students are slightly embarrassed that they go there. What’s up with there being good state schools scattered around the rest of the country, but there are none east of Pennsylvania?"

And in the third paragraph disparages our fan base and in the process uses a dated Ryan Center photo as shown by the old floor and students sitting behind the visitors bench. And silly me, I thought journalism was topical and up-to-date.

"Anyway, the reason people are hitting up Kingston is to watch the Fly Boys in a Saturday matinee. Rhode Island is known for being the smallest state and their dog shit fan base takes that to heart, as their paltry attendance shows. They would do well to emulate their superiors at Providence College, they might learn a thing or two."

These vile comments are not worthy of a resident of even a sophisticated place like New York City, but they come from a fan in Dayton. Enough said.
They say visit the Mews and try the stuffies while here... But to act all high and mighty while the main ad at the bottom of the page is for the fucking Golden Corral!?!?!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Pretty pathetic attempt at humor by the Blackburn Review I have to say as a former Dayton grad and a writer for their school paper
" The Flyer News ." Our Editor would have thrown out such trash and embarrassed the writer . I read the article too and was
uncomfortable and embarrassed by it even though I realized the writer thought he was just trying to be funny. If URI wins this game
it will be damaging to Dayton's NCAA hopes, so if that happens it will be difficult for me to be thrilled about it, but I can't help still
rooting for URI . If Dayton wins I won't be as disappointed as I would normally be since it won't be as meaningful for URI to win the way
this season has gone.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 5 years ago Pretty pathetic attempt at humor by the Blackburn Review I have to say as a former Dayton grad and a writer for their school paper
" The Flyer News ." Our Editor would have thrown out such trash and embarrassed the writer . I read the article too and was
uncomfortable and embarrassed by it even though I realized the writer thought he was just trying to be funny. If URI wins this game
it will be damaging to Dayton's NCAA hopes, so if that happens it will be difficult for me to be thrilled about it, but I can't help still
rooting for URI . If Dayton wins I won't be as disappointed as I would normally be since it won't be as meaningful for URI to win the way
this season has gone.
Luke, I didn't realize you were a Dayton grad. My apologies if you answered this before, but what's your affiliation to Rhody hoops? Did you go to both Rhody and Dayton or just become a fan through other means?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

steviep123, my daughter graduated from URI in 2006 and now lives in Warwick, so My daughter, my wife and I all are big fans.
My wife still is a bigger Dayton fan, but roots for URI as well . I root for both but have become closer to URI because I have gone
to their games since 2002 and Dayton is too far away. But if Dayton is playing anyone else I am still rooting for them all the way,
so I have two teams to pull for all season. We have become Red Sox fans as well but we are Phillies fans first, Red Sox second.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 5 years ago steviep123, my daughter graduated from URI in 2006 and now lives in Warwick, so My daughter, my wife and I all are big fans.
My wife still is a bigger Dayton fan, but roots for URI as well . I root for both but have become closer to URI because I have gone
to their games since 2002 and Dayton is too far away. But if Dayton is playing anyone else I am still rooting for them all the way,
so I have two teams to pull for all season. We have become Red Sox fans as well but we are Phillies fans first, Red Sox second.
Very nice Luke. Welcome to the Ramside! I came close to going to grad school at Dayton. I generally root for all A10 teams outside of conference and in the tourney, but Dayton is among my favorites. I rooted hard for them a few years ago when they went to the Elite 8!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Normally I have great respect for the Dayton Flyers fans though I have a brush with some of their more obnoxious fans in Brooklyn, but this piece from the Blackburn Review prior to our recent game with them is disturbing. The opening paragraph is clearly an overt display of racisim which has no place in college athletics. It is despicable.

They say visit the Mews and try the stuffies while here... But to act all high and mighty while the main ad at the bottom of the page is for the fucking Golden Corral!?!?!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I spent a few days in Ohio a few years ago for a work trip. Everything there seems to be a Golden Corral, Arby’s, or a mega church. Unless you get up to the Cleveland area.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I laughed. It's internet shit talk.

It's also true - as a full blooded guido I look grey right now and I'm actually contemplating whether I can stick it out another few months or if I just lay out in the snow to get my color back. I feel like a black haired zombie tbh. Just don't whine about people shitting on us on the internet. It's funny, laugh at it, and respond.

Let me give it a try:

"The Flyers play for a university in the beautiful metropolis of Dayton, Ohio - which is full of fun things to do like pack up and get the fuck out of there because it sucks. With a historically great basketball team, thankfully it gives the locals something to have pride in when they take a break from cooking meth or determining the existential physics of how many fries they can fit into a carton.

Thankfully, if their fans can afford it, they'll have an opportunity to go to Rhode Island on Saturday and experience food that hasn't been microwaved for what I am sure would be a first time. Though I am sure they will wind up sticking to their roots and eating a steady diet of subway or applebees - I'm sure the Ryan Center pretzels will be the fanciest thing anyone from Dayton has seen since William Howard Taft stopped there to campaign in 1882.

Coincidentally 1882 was also the last time Dayton was relevant in anything other than mid-major college basketball.

Though they have a bustling local economy full of laid off autoworkers from the 90s waiting for the return of those manufacturing jobs any day now, and their crime rate is 90% higher than anywhere else in the county.

An exciting winter night in Dayton can be watching a Flyer basketball win and then coming outside to see your wheels missing and then get beat with a bat for your wallet - which beats a typical Dayton summer evening of just coming outside to see your wheels missing and then get beat with a bat for your wallet.

Its no wonder that Dayton fans are excited to get an opportunity to push their 1984 silverado pickups out of their state and 30 years into the future by coming to the Ryan Center on Saturday.
14 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow is Blackburn review is a joke

Nonsense like this should never be allowed to post

I hope who wrote that gets fired
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Post of the year, Mr. Blue Man! :lol:
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I spent a few days in Ohio a few years ago for a work trip. Everything there seems to be a Golden Corral, Arby’s, or a mega church. Unless you get up to the Cleveland area.
It is even worse than that. These sick maniacs eat Skyline chili which, if you feel the need to vomit for whatever strange reason, you should look up on your old google machine. My mother is from Cincinnati and still had family out there for a lot of my life, and let me tell you, friends, is it even more gross in person. At least Arby’s is a reasonable approximation of something many of us would recognize as food-like. Skyline is very much not that. (The boathouse Montgomery Inn is kind of a cool spot to eat if you’re ever out that way, though.)
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Omg I just did a real estate search. If you ever want to spend less than $100k on a property Dayton is your place to go.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm not sure about the overt racism, if we can't laugh and make fun of each other, that's just lame. I did google Skyline Chile, and the pictures are pretty disturbing, but until I taste it, I can't say its bad. BlueMan had a classic response, it's all good. I'm sure on March 17, everyone will be Irish, but I won't be culturally offended.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This Guido, while he thinks blue's response is classic and hilarious, thinks whoever wrote that racist bullshit wouldn't dare say that shit to my face. If he'd like to try, he can get in touch with me here at keaneyblue.com. I'm tired of being one of the last two demographics in which it is still okay to race hate in the US. Nobody thinks twice about disparaging remarks about Italians and Portuguese. A few years ago I came across an 'legit' article about what's appropriate for Halloween gear now a days, of course they listed about 150 things we're not supposed to dress as and literally gave two examples of appropriate dress, Mario (the donkey konger) and The Fonz, the freaking Fonz, yeah that's right the greasy Italian that's meant to counterbalance the perfect Cunninghams, the guy that represents the whole of the 'other side of the tracks.' Italians literally laid down the foundations of western society. The formula that they developed and used to create and set concrete over 1800 years ago is better than what we use today. There are original Roman aqueducts still bringing clean water down from mountain springs to small villages in Europe. I'm okay with good natured generalizations among friends, not with bashing a whole fan base by abusing one demographic.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

BBR is an edgy, satirical site, try not to get offended. IMO, it is often drop dead hilarious, although I have not read it in a long while. They take shots at everybody, including UD. IINM, they were riding Brian Gregory very hard near the end of his tenure at UD.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

daytonflyerfan wrote: 5 years ago BBR is an edgy, satirical site, try not to get offended. IMO, it is often drop dead hilarious, although I have not read it in a long while. They take shots at everybody, including UD. IINM, they were riding Brian Gregory very hard near the end of his tenure at UD.
Agree, it's funny most of the time.....but this seemed more mean spirited than most.....in poor taste.

Hey, maybe we can give you guys a game tonight....although we are showing some signs of life at home, we are still a really shitty road team.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
It is even worse than that. These sick maniacs eat Skyline chili which, if you feel the need to vomit for whatever strange reason, you should look up on your old google machine. My mother is from Cincinnati and still had family out there for a lot of my life, and let me tell you, friends, is it even more gross in person. At least Arby’s is a reasonable approximation of something many of us would recognize as food-like. Skyline is very much not that. (The boathouse Montgomery Inn is kind of a cool spot to eat if you’re ever out that way, though.)
I love Skyline. If you are not familiar, Cincinnati-style chili is all over southwest Ohio, southeast Indiana, and northern Kentucky. Scattered locations in the rest of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana too. Gold Star chili, Empress chili, Camp Washington chili, Blue Ash chili, Dixie chili, independent restaurant in-house versions, in grocery stores, etc. It's everywhere, very unique to that area. Kind of like Philly with all the cheese steak places, KC/Texas BBQ, East coast seafood places, NYC pizza, New Orleans cajun/creole, etc. Some Skyline locations in Florida too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m all too aware. My mother likes that stuff. Even as a kid I could never bring myself to put any of it anywhere near my face.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I googled Skyline and it also came up with images that said "gross". Apparently you can put this chili on your pasta? Nooooooo.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

https://deadspin.com/the-great-american ... 1488822680

Read all the way to the end for an assessment of Cincinnati chili.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago https://deadspin.com/the-great-american ... 1488822680

Read all the way to the end for an assessment of Cincinnati chili.
LMAO! Great article. Especially since it's ranked after being hit by a car. I haven't had a NY System in ages. Need to change that (except I can't deal with the onions).
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 5 years ago BBR is an edgy, satirical site, try not to get offended. IMO, it is often drop dead hilarious, although I have not read it in a long while. They take shots at everybody, including UD. IINM, they were riding Brian Gregory very hard near the end of his tenure at UD.
What does that have to do with an out and out racist comment? What does that have to do with basketball?? Please do not play a Blackburn enabler by making excuses for his bad behavior.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago
What does that have to do with an out and out racist comment? What does that have to do with basketball?? Please do not play a Blackburn enabler by making excuses for his bad behavior.
Why don't you go on the site, www.blackburnreview.com, and raise your complaint directly with the writer? They are very open-minded on there. I am sure that they would like to hear your point-of-view.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......shoot lights out(again)......the keep the lid on Toppin without foul trouble for Cyril.....do not see JH being able to handle him inside......who else can we put on him?......Go Rhody.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

There is awful shit all over the internet. If you don't like it, don't read it. I don't get what the big deal is.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago There is awful shit all over the internet. If you don't like it, don't read it. I don't get what the big deal is.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Also, I take all things serious because when you turn your cheek, you open the possibility of unintended consequences. I prefer the eloquent observations that Running Ram made in his reply. Also, if we followed Wednesday's Michael Cohen hearing, especially its aftermath you see how racial stereotypes can get out of hand and then start to cascade.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 5 years ago
Why don't you go on the site, www.blackburnreview.com, and raise your complaint directly with the writer? They are very open-minded on there. I am sure that they would like to hear your point-of-view.
I wouldn't waste my time as I have no intention of reading his blog again. His opinion on anything is lower than whale shit.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As long as I am not the subject of his (or her) ire, fired up Obadiah is the best Obadiah.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago There is awful shit all over the internet. If you don't like it, don't read it. I don't get what the big deal is.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Also, I take all things serious because when you turn your cheek, you open the possibility of unintended consequences. I prefer the eloquent observations that Running Ram made in his reply. Also, if we followed Wednesday's Michael Cohen hearing, especially its aftermath you see how racial stereotypes can get out of hand and then start to cascade.
Yet you won't go on the site and make a complaint to the author? Not sure I follow the logic behind this line of thinking.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Can we get back to talking about the game now?
5 x