2/26 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

2/26 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Remaining Games:
Tuesday Feb 26: George Washington (SUPERBOWL GAME)
Friday Mar 1: @ Dayton
Tuesday Mar 5: @ St Josephs (SUPERBOWL GAME)
Saturday Mar 9: UMASS (SUPERBOWL GAME)

Current Standings Monday February 25 - remaining team games in red
The Blue Games represent teams in the Top 7 of the A10 - all of which have a shot at the Top 4 Seeds

Hot Teams are VCU - winners of 8 straight games and St Bonaventure - winners of 4 straight games

VCU lost to Davidson and URI
Davidson lost to St Josephs, UMASS and Dayton
Dayton lost to VCU, George Mason, SLU and VCU

VCU, Davidson and Dayton do NOT play one another again - coast is clear for all 3 to win out the last 4 games

1-VCU (12-2) 21-6 (Remaining: SLU, @ Richmond, @ GMU, St Josephs)
2-Davidson (11-3) 20-7 (Remaining: @ LaSalle, Fordham, St Bonaventure, @ Richmond)
3-Dayton (10-4) 18-9
(Remaining: @UMASS, URI, LaSalle, @ Duquesne)
4-George Mason (9-5) 15-12 (Remaining: Richmond, @ SLU, VCU, @ GW)
5-Duquesne (9-5) 18-9 (Remaining: @ St Bonaventure, UMASS, @ SLU, Dayton)
6-St. Bonaventure (9-5) 13-14 (Remaining: Duquesne, @ GW, @ Davidson, SLU)
7-Saint Louis (8-6) 17-10 (Remaining: @ VCU, GMU, Duquesne, @ SBU)

8-La Salle (6-8) 8-18
9-Richmond (6-8) 12-15
10-Rhode Island (5-9) 12-14
11-Saint Joseph's (4-10) 11-16
12-George Washington (4-10) 8-19
13-UMass (3-11) 10-17
14-Fordham (2-12) 11-16
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/26 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RF1 »

I predict that this will be the lowest attended game season to date. My expectation is it will be less than the only sub 5k crowd of 4,828 that came out on a November weeknight to see Brown.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Big contingent from Johnston coming down to cheer on Justin Mazzula. Might drown out the Rhody fans.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think they win this one by double digits.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Team Rankings gives us 85% to win.......maybe this is the shoot lights out game.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......Team Rankings gives us 85% to win.......maybe this is the shoot lights out game.....?
Or...is it G Dub's Super Bowl? Would like to see RJ re-appear on the baseline with a "This is OUR Super Bowl, not yours!" sign....
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I think they win this one by double digits.
This
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I predict that this will be the lowest attended game season to date. My expectation is it will be less than the only sub 5k crowd of 4,828 that came out on a November weeknight to see Brown.

How much money do we lose when we lose 1,000 fans for a game?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Predicting this game ends the nightmare and URI plays an excellent game for 40 minutes, winning going away. I think the Rams win
two other games as well, beating UMASS and St. Joes . If they handle GW they have a shot against Dayton too. so I think they have a slight chance to come out of the funk to finish with three out of four and an outside chance to run the table . If they lose to Gw I think they lose all four.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Well I'm not going (probably, I keep saying I am not going to go and I end up in my seat), but I already paid. Season ticket holders hurt I guess because we don't buy things at the games but the ticket is bought and paid for.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we might beat GW and UMass....and that's it.

Depending on who we play we might win our 1st round game on Thursday...and that's it. [That's if we win 2 more to avoid playing Wednesday]

Agree if we lose Tuesday night we don't win another game. Pack it in and quit.

If we can't show some pride at home.....

We will get trashed at Dayton. Killed.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I predict that this will be the lowest attended game season to date. My expectation is it will be less than the only sub 5k crowd of 4,828 that came out on a November weeknight to see Brown.

I would guess about $20k to $25k. For perspective, they will earn about $1.8 million in ticket revenue. So that accounts for 1.4% of their gate sales revenue stream. Perspective.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Langevine is going to have a monster game.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

URI should be favored around 10 with an o/u around 134.
I'll take URI and the over.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago

I would guess about $20k to $25k. For perspective, they will earn about $1.8 million in ticket revenue. So that accounts for 1.4% of their gate sales revenue stream. Perspective.
I think the number is over 5k tickets sold. Will be under that in the building. Also there will prob be a low student turnout. Aside from concessions, does it really matter to the bottom line how many show up?(students that is...)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most of the arrendance not showing up now are students from which we get zero ticket revenue.
The actual attendance is a lot worse as many have bought tickets previously but are not driving to the games.
It’s only going to get worse unfortunately.
Incremental tickets sold have also come in the ways of $10 “be a student again” tickets. Also specials $40 for 4 tix, 4 sodas, 4 popcorns.

The big ticket sale losses will be next season when season ticket holders don’t renew or opt for less expensive season ticket packages
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, do you think big ticket revenue losses will affect the administration's decisions going forward, especially if we tank again next season?

They saved big bucks with Cox's contract...they have mucho NCAA credit dough coming in for a while.....

Will there be any urgency to consider canning Cox?

My take is, unless there is a complete meltdown next season, Cox will likely be here a 3rd year.

This school simply does not fire coaches unless they absolutely have to.

I'm sure the boosters will NOT be happy being asked to shell out big bucks to pay off a coach...again...instead of paying for a good coach.

And to answer a question in another thread...I think any money promised for a practice facility has been put on hold...the boosters are PISSED at what has happened the last few weeks.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Most of the arrendance not showing up now are students from which we get zero ticket revenue.
The actual attendance is a lot worse as many have bought tickets previously but are not driving to the games.
Incremental tickets sold have also come in the ways of $10 “be a student again” tickets. Also specials $40 for 4 tix, 4 sodas, 4 popcorns.

The big ticket sale losses will be next season when season ticket holders don’t renew or opt for less expensive season ticket packages
I don't think that happens next year. If next year is a disaster like this year then yes I think there is an impact. Which is what the administration needs to weigh in there decisions, if next year is a disaster.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago ramster, do you think big ticket revenue losses will affect the administration's decisions going forward, especially if we tank again next season?

They saved big bucks with Cox's contract...they have mucho NCAA credit dough coming in for a while.....

Will there be any urgency to consider canning Cox?

My take is, unless there is a complete meltdown next season, Cox will likely be here a 3rd year.

This school simply does not fire coaches unless they absolutely have to.

I'm sure the boosters will NOT be happy being asked to shell out big bucks to pay off a coach...again...instead of paying for a good coach.

And to answer a question in another thread...I think any money promised for a practice facility has been put on hold...the boosters are PISSED at what has happened the last few weeks.

If URI had another season next year similar to 2018-19, it would likely have nearly all the money for a Cox buyout from the Hurley contract exit fee. Would not necessarily need boosters for this specific purpose. It would however mean this money that was intended elsewhere would need to be offset.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, I forgot about that money...my guess it's already been spent....maybe on the turf and lights.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
I think the number is over 5k tickets sold. Will be under that in the building. Also there will prob be a low student turnout. Aside from concessions, does it really matter to the bottom line how many show up?(students that is...)
Bottom line now? No. Bottom line in the future? Absolutely. You try and hook the students now and get them to be passionate fans because that's who will make up your season ticket base in the future
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

I agree completely. My point was to show mcram that a 1 game dip doesn't really hurt anything. I may have even understated the ticket revenue which would further my point of it being entirely immaterial.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

URI is not Texas. There is no chance that any booster in the program will contribute anything to the buyout of Cox. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are delusional.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The boosters kicked in to help pay Baron off. I'm sure they don't want to do it again....but you never know.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The boosters kicked in to help pay Baron off. I'm sure they don't want to do it again....but you never know.

Don’t discount the idea that if rick pitino wants back into the ncaa and has no other offers that he could be had at a discount - MAKE THE CALL - what do you have to lose ???
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ECR, Dooley will NEVER hire RP...….that's a fact.

We need some stability staff wise.....like you said CUT BAIT if Cox flops next season, and bring in someone with a track record of success, and above all PAY him and the staff like we really want to be at the top of the A10....no more on the cheap.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Player Performance Though Game #26 Davidson

Player	     Off. Rating %  Def. Rating %   Usage % 

Dowtin	         112.5	        101.4	     21.2
Martin	         104.4	        100.9	     17.8
Langevine	 100.9	         96.1	     24.8
Thompson	  97.7	         98.3	     14.4
Tate	          94.3	        100.4	     15.2
Harris	          94.1	        100.7	     16.1
Russell	          89.5	        101.5	     26.1
Silverio	  84.9	        102.2	     17.0

Note: rating above 100 denotes above average performance, below 100 denotes below average performance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Surprised at 2 numbers...CL's defensive %...and Omar's defensive %.

Cyril lower than expected, and Omar wtf? Thought he was a defensive liability?

And what is usage percentage?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Usage % is essentially an estimate of percentage of team plays used by a player when on the floor.

All stats have limitations in fully describing what is actually happening on the floor. To an extent comparing Silverio and Langevine is limited because the level of their PT is so different. Also, they play different positions. For example guards have lower level of TO's and less rebounds and forwards usually have low assist to turnover ratio.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The boosters kicked in to help pay Baron off. I'm sure they don't want to do it again....but you never know.

Don’t discount the idea that if rick pitino wants back into the ncaa and has no other offers that he could be had at a discount - MAKE THE CALL - what do you have to lose ???
At this point I'm starting to suspect that you might be Pitino himself...
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I have a Zoning meeting I have to go to at 7 tonight so I'm going to miss my second straight game. If we don't win tonight it will be an amBaronssment.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm really surprised how confident everyone seems in this thread and the thread about the gambling line. Is GW atrocious? Yes. Should we beat them handily? Yes. Do I feel at all confident? Not after what we saw at UMass and against Fordham
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I am going with a convincing win based on nothing more than my notion that we shoot lights out, like it has to happen at some point, right?.......and our defense will show up and be enough.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

"What do you have to lose ???" - EVERYTHING!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......I am going with a convincing win based on nothing more than my notion that we shoot lights out, like it has to happen at some point, right?.......and our defense will show up and be enough.....
No, it doesn’t have to happen. Bad shooters are bad shooters.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I was one of the guys who said "hey, kick the tires" that of course was when we were looking for a coach/hire, which is no longer the case. Your compulsion, ECR, with typing words about hiring slick is a little crazy. DC is a FIRST YEAR head coach, yes I expected better results at this point and I'm not going to sugar coat the experience thus far, it's been a bad product, hard to watch, to the basic fan it looks like regression is happening.

Safe to say, right now the narrative doesn't fit the movie DC had in his head for this season, we have to give him a chance to understand what's happening vs. what he thought would happen, why/why not, identify his own strengths and weaknesses as a head coach and understand how to get better results. If DC is driven to be a great HC, then he will take measures to reflect and self-correct. Gotta let it play out. Look at the results of the "next coach" poll, everyone and their kid wanted this hire. Be patient, believe DC has the capacity to figure out how to make the jump from assistant to head. If you don't back your hire for at least two years, you may do untold, unseen damage.

Guys who have HC experience get two years just to implement their 'systems.' We all knew going into this season that DC (and the team) were going to have some growing pains, so what it doesn't fit your narrative, boo hoo. Nut up and be a good fan, have hope, pull for progress. It's okay to be frustrated, I'm sure the players and coaches are as well, but let's hold off on starting the coaching search just yet. If next year we are talking about the same issues vis a vis coaching then we have a discussion. For now I'm all in with our head coach, I want him to succeed, you (all) should as well. Give DC a fighting chance, a lot of people out there thought he was always destine to be a good head coach, let's see where we are next year at this time. Not discounting the deep seeds of our old always looking to 'next year' mentality, but this is entirely different, this time it's the appropriate approach.
10 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago

I was one of the guys who said "hey, kick the tires" that of course was when we were looking for a coach/hire, which is no longer the case. Your compulsion, ECR, with typing words about hiring slick is a little crazy. DC is a FIRST YEAR head coach, yes I expected better results at this point and I'm not going to sugar coat the experience thus far, it's been a bad product, hard to watch, to the basic fan it looks like regression is happening.

Safe to say, right now the narrative doesn't fit the movie DC had in his head for this season, we have to give him a chance to understand what's happening vs. what he thought would happen, why/why not, identify his own strengths and weaknesses as a head coach and understand how to get better results. If DC is driven to be a great HC, then he will take measures to reflect and self-correct. Gotta let it play out. Look at the results of the "next coach" poll, everyone and their kid wanted this hire. Be patient, believe DC has the capacity to figure out how to make the jump from assistant to head. If you don't back your hire for at least two years, you may do untold, unseen damage.

Guys who have HC experience get two years just to implement their 'systems.' We all knew going into this season that DC (and the team) were going to have some growing pains, so what it doesn't fit your narrative, boo hoo. Nut up and be a good fan, have hope, pull for progress. It's okay to be frustrated, I'm sure the players and coaches are as well, but let's hold off on starting the coaching search just yet. If next year we are talking about the same issues vis a vis coaching then we have a discussion. For now I'm all in with our head coach, I want him to succeed, you (all) should as well. Give DC a fighting chance, a lot of people out there thought he was always destine to be a good head coach, let's see where we are next year at this time. Not discounting the deep seeds of our old always looking to 'next year' mentality, but this is entirely different, this time it's the appropriate approach.
BRA-VOOOOO!!!
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Usage % is essentially an estimate of percentage of team plays used by a player when on the floor.

All stats have limitations in fully describing what is actually happening on the floor. To an extent comparing Silverio and Langevine is limited because the level of their PT is so different. Also, they play different positions. For example guards have lower level of TO's and less rebounds and forwards usually have low assist to turnover ratio.
I think you are right except for this piece -- Guards tend to have much higher turnover numbers because of the ball runs through their hands, especially with a PG. They should be passing more and dribbling way more than anyone else on the court. However, they might still have ok A/T numbers because a guard with 5 assists and 2.5 turnovers is still a 2/1 A/T. Bigs forced to take a more assertive role in the offense could have more turnovers, but I think that is more the exception then the rule. I think it bears out in the numbers -- of the top 25 players in the country in turnovers per game, they average a height of 74.4 inches, which is between 6'2 and 6'3.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm willing to give Cox a chance, but next season is big big big for his coaching future.

There needs to be major improvements in many areas...the prospect is daunting but doable....

Small improvements might help keep his job again, but certainly won't appease most of us.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago I was one of the guys who said "hey, kick the tires" that of course was when we were looking for a coach/hire, which is no longer the case. Your compulsion, ECR, with typing words about hiring slick is a little crazy. DC is a FIRST YEAR head coach, yes I expected better results at this point and I'm not going to sugar coat the experience thus far, it's been a bad product, hard to watch, to the basic fan it looks like regression is happening.

BRA-VOOOOO!!!
I know this has been brought up before, but I think it's important to mention as this stuff keeps coming up. There are literally like 2 or 3 people calling for Cox to not get another year to figure things out. They just happen to be pretty vocal. The vast majority of the fanbase is well aware he deserves more time to turn things around. Even if we are frustrated by what we see so far.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, that’s why I’ve blocked some folks like ECR, McRam, and as of last rambone. You were right. Makes the board much more pleasant experience....for me at least. Lol
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not one of them that want Cox gone after this season....so DC Rams gets the block too.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Usage % is essentially an estimate of percentage of team plays used by a player when on the floor.

I think you are right except for this piece -- Guards tend to have much higher turnover numbers because of the ball runs through their hands, especially with a PG. They should be passing more and dribbling way more than anyone else on the court. However, they might still have ok A/T numbers because a guard with 5 assists and 2.5 turnovers is still a 2/1 A/T. Bigs forced to take a more assertive role in the offense could have more turnovers, but I think that is more the exception then the rule. I think it bears out in the numbers -- of the top 25 players in the country in turnovers per game, they average a height of 74.4 inches, which is between 6'2 and 6'3.
Yes, you right on guards but relative to how much handle the ball they show lower to's per possession. Langevine leads the team with 85 T0's. Harris has 37 and based on PT that is a lot. Better stated is that forwards generally have a low assist to turnovers and guards have a higher A/T. For example, Obi Toppin at Dayton in the OOC portion was 6/14 on assists to turnovers. In fact a review of all freshman forwards in the A-10 show all with negative A/T. Similar stats exist for the veterans also.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Game is on ESPN+ tonight. I would expect, since URI no longer has a local tv partner, that ESPN+ will be the main viewing option next season. The A-10 tv networks are not going to feature a lot of games for a bottom tier team. Therefore do not expect to see many games on CBSN, NBCSN, or ESPN2. Since only real hard core supporters pay for ESPN+ and make the effort to find the games on its site, the number of people in RI that will likely watch many 2019-20 URI games should be quite small. This will not help in building up nor even maintaining a local fan-base. Reduced tv coverage is another negative byproduct of the program taking a step backwards and losing so many games.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Losing so many key players and a new first time coach has combined to produce a worst case scenario unfortunately.

We expected a step back....what we got was several steps back.....we're not where we were when Dan started, but it's going to take a while to climb back to where we were the last 2 seasons. And if Cox fails, it will take even longer.

And that's not what this program needed.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

thats why i say... C_T B__T !

vanna white: can i buy a vowel please ?!?!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, that’s why I’ve blocked some folks like ECR, McRam, and as of last rambone. You were right. Makes the board much more pleasant experience....for me at least. Lol
someone tell DC Rams I said "THANK YOU" !
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i am emotionally hurt by DC RAMS blocking me LOL

get real.. we could agree to disagree

so far my point is winning...

i hope long term tho you win and Cox proves he is a great coach

i have no problem w/ that scenario but i am gonna call them the way i see them
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I'm not one of them that want Cox gone after this season....so DC Rams gets the block too.
Sorry man, I meant blueram. Lol
1 x