Christion Thompson article

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Christion Thompson article

Unread post by ace »

2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Christion Thompson article

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Odd timing for an article like this to come out.
0 x
Go Rhody
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Odd timing for an article like this to come out.
Sometimes folks look too deep into things, but here is how this piece came about.

We have a number of students who intern with us. Jordan (who wrote the story) was tasked with interviewing Christion and coming up with a feature story. He did the interview and wrote the piece a couple weeks ago. We did a few rounds of edits because he is a student who is learning the craft. I thought he did a nice job with it and that it was worthy of sharing, so the story was published this week when there was no mid-week game and less content that would be going on GoRhody.

Honestly, I wish we did more feature content on the site to show different perspectives of more student-athletes. It is something we are trying to build by fostering student talent at the university. This year we've had a number of students/former students who have done a great job providing content, namely Taylor Ross (video), Meg Ellis, Stone Freeman, Niki Lattarulo, Jordan Malkin, Julia Waraksy, Derek Mancini and Dominique Turner. Taylor and Meg are both former student-athletes here who are post-grad interns in the office. Taylor is still working with us but has moved out of state as she is building her own business, and Meg will be leaving us next week for a full-time Sports Information job at Florida Gulf Coast. The others are current students, and many of you have seen their work, especially Stone and Niki.

The content on GoRhody is a chance to showcase a student's work while also sharing a story and a little bit of insight into different sides of the student-athletes we have on campus. Rewarding a student's efforts in a way that boosts their confidence and makes them a little more proud to be a part of what we do here is something I believe in.

Shane
17 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I definitely hope you're able to do more features
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Odd timing for an article like this to come out.
Really? You do know there is life beyond Rhody basketball. Jesus, some of you really need help.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting how he mentions Cinci was his favorite game probably cuz he played 16 minutes???
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s because Cincinnati was such a huge signature win for Dan Hurley and the program back in November 2016 at the Mohegan Sun. Cinncinnati was nationally ranked and this was a huge win for URI. Everyone in the arena was so proud and excited.
6 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago It’s because Cincinnati was such a huge signature win for Dan Hurley and the program back in November 2016 at the Mohegan Sun. Cinncinnati was nationally ranked and this was a huge win for URI. Everyone in the arena was so proud and excited.
Agree, I think that Cincinnati game sometimes get lost when talking about some of the other big games that URI has played over the past couple of years. But that game was a huge win for a team that had big expectations but still needed some validation by winning a big game away from the Ryan Center.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago It’s because Cincinnati was such a huge signature win for Dan Hurley and the program back in November 2016 at the Mohegan Sun. Cinncinnati was nationally ranked and this was a huge win for URI. Everyone in the arena was so proud and excited.
Agree, I think that Cincinnati game sometimes get lost when talking about some of the other big games that URI has played over the past couple of years. But that game was a huge win for a team that had big expectations but still needed some validation by winning a big game away from the Ryan Center.
Plus that win gave us a game vs. Duke, another quality opponent for the resume that season.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That Cincinnati game was great, except for Jarvis getting hurt. They fought back for him, though!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

that was so scary when Jarvis went down. Turned out to not be anything major.

Then late in the game Elbert came off the screen and nailed that dagger 3. Amazing!

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago that was so scary when Jarvis went down. Turned out to not be anything major.

Then late in the game Elbert came off the screen and nailed that dagger 3. Amazing!

Edit: Here's a highlight video of all the things Bearcats did well while losing.... ugh.

That clip only shows baskets scored by Cincy.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, you kind of knew Jarvis was going to be ok when Dan was out on the floor with him after he went down, joking with him and asking him if he needed his mask back.

I’ve yet to find that game anywhere. If anyone ever comes up with a link, let us know.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just find it a bit wierd that he mentioned that game as opposed to winning the A10 championship or a game in the NCAA tournament
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He noted 2 games that stood out to him the most.

Thompson has an unlimited amount of amazing memories created at URI. His favorite memory since being at school took place on Nov. 19, 2016 when the unranked Rams beat No. 18 Cincinnati, 76-71. Another memory took place on Dec 16. of this past year, when the Rams overtook West Virginia 83-70, a game in which Thompson had 12 points and eight rebounds.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He was 0-10 last game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will say, despite his offensive struggles - CT displayed the defensive effort we had hoped we'd get from him all year against Fordham.

He was in the minority of players who were working on the defensive side of the ball.

About the only good thing to say for that game - but it was something.

Makes his effort the other nights so disappointing. We know it's in there - why isn't it there every game?
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I too noticed his hustle. A much-improved effort by CT.
1 x
GO RAMS
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

I continue to be high on Christion and he continues to improve.
1 x