‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Unread post by TruePoint »

[Placeholder]

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Offer)

Unread post by STC »

Allow me to be the first to say that I look forward to the endless speculation as to how a scholarship will get opened up for 2019-20.
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Will he follow his brother to Dayton ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

He plays (or played?) at Woodstock academy. On the same team as Noah Fernandes, Preston Santos, and Tre Mitchell.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

URI making sure they don’t make a mistake with another Toppin
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Can’t find much by way of ratings on this fellow. Nothing listed under 247 sports.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mentions Dayton's Toppin as a possible NBA First Rounder?

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Only other offers are Stony Brook and Cal Poly. Late in the cycle for a 2019.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Uri wouldn’t offer another 19’unless they were sure someone was leaving correct?
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Like I’ve been saying, the coaches are diagnosing the problems and are being proactive. There will be movement, that’s for certain.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All I really want to know is can the guy shoot? I’ll have to find it, but one of the very few things I found on him said he had a nice looking stroke but didn’t say anything about how proficient of a shooter he is.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

If it's true that URI would need to make room for him...the only person I could see getting the bump would be Thompson. I mean...who else would it be?
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago If it's true that URI would need to make room for him...the only person I could see getting the bump would be Thompson. I mean...who else would it be?
You don’t know who is planning to do what, if a guy would leave voluntarily or if they’d “make room,” and what criteria they’d be using if that is what they do. So not worth speculating and, for the 100th time, would be appreciated immensely if we could avoid speculating about specific players. These are college kids not pro athletes.
4 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Needs are a knock down 3 pt shooter, a dominant rim protector and a PG in training (2020 need).
Which one is he?
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago If it's true that URI would need to make room for him...the only person I could see getting the bump would be Thompson. I mean...who else would it be?
You don’t know who is planning to do what, if a guy would leave voluntarily or if they’d “make room,” and what criteria they’d be using if that is what they do. So not worth speculating and, for the 100th time, would be appreciated immensely if we could avoid speculating about specific players. These are college kids not pro athletes.
No problem. I'm not stating that I think Thompson should be bumped, just can't see how else they're would be room, but I understand the point. Also, with regards to speculation, all we do as a board is speculate all the time with regards to potential recruits, coaching decisions, 5th year seniors, current player potential, etc but I will refrain from mentioning current players if that is more suitable.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Waiting for BillyBoy78 scouting report....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ranked 60 something in New England. Haven't seen him play.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s a late bloomer. One thing I can say, is that he shoots well at the high school level, but I still feel with need someone with more guard oriented skills. He seems like another combo 2/3.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He’s a late bloomer. One thing I can say, is that he shoots well at the high school level, but I still feel with need someone with more guard oriented skills. He seems like another combo 2/3.
Just one comment. He is playing at a national level prep school. Woodstock plays against the top prep schools in the country. They will be playing in the National Prep School Championship March 5-7 at Connecticut College in New London. I have seen Woodstock play twice. I don’t recall Toppin. I don’t believe he starts. He isn’t in the top 5 in scoring. He is 6’6”. Maybe the thought is another prep year and maybe he grows like his brother.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Clip from Jr year in High School
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He’s a late bloomer. One thing I can say, is that he shoots well at the high school level, but I still feel with need someone with more guard oriented skills. He seems like another combo 2/3.
Just one comment. He is playing at a national level prep school. Woodstock plays against the top prep schools in the country. They will be playing in the National Prep School Championship March 5-7 at Connecticut College in New London. I have seen Woodstock play twice. I don’t recall Toppin. I don’t believe he starts. He isn’t in the top 5 in scoring. He is 6’6”. Maybe the thought is another prep year and maybe he grows like his brother.
I wonder if he would reclass to 2020? Obviously that would end some of the drama with this offer, haha.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Ranked 60 something in New England. Haven't seen him play.
I see guys that can shoot playing for 16 seeds in the tournament who were apparently not recruited by anyone or highly rated as HS players. The need for a shooter is so bad that if they find one, I don’t care if he is a top-1,000 recruit. I’m not saying Toppin is that guy - I haven’t seen him play at all. Just making a general observation.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago
No problem. I'm not stating that I think Thompson should be bumped, just can't see how else they're would be room, but I understand the point. Also, with regards to speculation, all we do as a board is speculate all the time with regards to potential recruits, coaching decisions, 5th year seniors, current player potential, etc but I will refrain from mentioning current players if that is more suitable.
It will be either Thompson or Fatts and maybe both. I can’t go into, but would say right now it is 50/50 that Fatts is here next year. I’m not sure where he will be able to go at this point, but can’t see it being Uconn. From what I’m hearing this has been by far the low point of the season for the team.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I'd sign up for a Toppin.
Last edited by Section104 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jesus. Are we going to have to start policing this? We don’t want speculation about specific players transferring. Go on twitter and do that if you absolutely have to do it for some reason.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Ranked 60 something in New England. Haven't seen him play.
I see gquys that can shoot playing for 16 seeds in the tournament who were apparently not recruited by anyone or highly rated as HS players. The need for a shooter is so bad that if they find one, I don’t care if he is a top-1,000 recruit. I’m not saying Toppin is that guy - I haven’t seen him play at all. Just making a general observation.
Tyler Bertram could have been that guy. I did see him play. Maybe not an elite athlete or defender, but good size at 6'4" and can shoot like hell. I think he'll be a better college player than 4 McGlynn was.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
I see gquys that can shoot playing for 16 seeds in the tournament who were apparently not recruited by anyone or highly rated as HS players. The need for a shooter is so bad that if they find one, I don’t care if he is a top-1,000 recruit. I’m not saying Toppin is that guy - I haven’t seen him play at all. Just making a general observation.
Tyler Bertram could have been that guy. I did see him play. Maybe not an elite athlete or defender, but good size at 6'4" and can shoot like hell. I think he'll be a better college player than 4 McGlynn was.
Thank goodness he chose UNCC vs. Hawk Hill!

Edit, just looked at UNCC box scores roster stats, looks like Bertram hasn't played a minute. Hurt? Red shirt candidate? 49'ers are 6-18 /3-10 CUSA

Strange.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We made a concerted effort to avoid those types of players when Dan was here. I complained about it during the early years, then our guys grew into good enough shooters that the team could be really good behind exceptional defense. I was wrong then, I can admit. But it’s going to take a lot of improvement of both our shooting and our defense to eventually win with that formula with this group.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I was shocked actually when we brought McGlyyn in for that exact reason - didn’t look like a player that coaching staff was interested in. Of course 9m into the American game everything changed.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

It was Thompson,in the library, with the transfer portal.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Can he hit a 3 pt shot? If not, move on.This team is lacking shooters.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tyler was a ‘19 then reclassed late this summer to an ‘18 and signed with UNCC and immediately announced he was redshirting.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Maybe the thought is another prep year and maybe he grows like his brother.
From NERR "Teammate Jacob Toppin is another post-graduate who is making the most of his extra year and taking both his game and recruitment to new levels in the process."

Already doing a PG year, so he will be a 2019.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If we wanted him, we could get him.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

It will be either Thompson or Fatts and maybe both. I can’t go into, but would say right now it is 50/50 that Fatts is here next year. I’m not sure where he will be able to go at this point, but can’t see it being Uconn. From what I’m hearing this has been by far the low point of the season for the team.
Don't think Uconn has a scholarship especially after getting akok. But agree with overall statement of a coin flip on whether fatts stays or transfers. Want to keep him obviously but we need his high energy of the past not the current body language he has been displaying.

I hoping that since he didn't transfer prior to 2nd semester it's a sign he is staying.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hurley doesn’t want Fatts. He would be a hard sell anywhere right about now. He practically has carte Blanche here (too many’s dismay) but it won’t be any better for him any where else.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Tertsea has to be the obvious transfer candidate, right? He’s played 11 minutes all season and just once since Christmas.

Have to imagine he would want to find an opportunity with more playing time.

I don’t see Thompson leaving, he would have to sit out another year after just missing a year and I don’t think the professional opportunities will be there.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Don't think Uconn has a scholarship especially after getting akok. But agree with overall statement of a coin flip on whether fatts stays or transfers. Want to keep him obviously but we need his high energy of the past not the current body language he has been displaying.

I hoping that since he didn't transfer prior to 2nd semester it's a sign he is staying.
UConn has one scholarship available, but they’re pretty set at guard if nothing changes (Vital, Gilbert, Adams, Bouknight, Gaffney).
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

STC wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea has to be the obvious transfer candidate, right? He’s played 11 minutes all season and just once since Christmas.

Have to imagine he would want to find an opportunity with more playing time.

I don’t see Thompson leaving, he would have to sit out another year after just missing a year and I don’t think the professional opportunities will be there.
Thompson would be eligible to play right away next year as a grad transfer if he finishes school this semester.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Any known timeline on these moves?
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With Silverio now leaving, there will be an open scholarship for next year. Is Toppin still in play?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe a grad transfer is in play......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

These teases are a killer.
0 x
GO RAMS
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

it was also interesting that his brother did not get invited to the NBA combine or G-League invite. Don't think any A-10 player for that matter was invited to either.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We will take him now. CT leaving opens the door for JT.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If he’s as good as his brother I’ll take him in a New York minute.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like he finished his official visit to Dayton without making a commitment. I figured he would go to Dayton if they wanted him.

Have to wonder if Cox is concerned at all about recruiting class balance. Replacing a Sr with a Fr puts the ‘20 class at 2 scholarships and puts the ‘18 and ‘19 classes at 4 each (assuming Walker has 3 yrs eligibility).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My guess is he waits to see if Obi returns to Dayton (decision on that is May 29th). If Obi returns, my guess is Jacob joins him.

From Dayton Daily News article today:
Roni Toppin, Obi and Jacob’s mom, talked to Dayton Daily News columnist Tom Archeacon in March about Jacob. She said at the time she didn’t know where Jacob would end up.

"Remember how scrawny Obi was when he first came to Dayton?” Roni said. “Well, that's Jacob now. He's two years younger, so maybe he's on the same growth pattern as his brother. He's 6-7 and actually he may be a little stronger than Obi first was because he came from a school that had a good strength and conditioning program. Thanks to Obi, he' getting more recognition now. And when coaches ask me what I'm looking for for him, the first thing I say is 'I want him to have the perfect fit ... just like Obi found in Dayton.'"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good schools on his list

Come on Obi stay in the draft
0 x