‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

We can only dream of having something like this.
That building reminds me of the REC Center at Rhode Island College. A lot, except with less abuse and banners and other decorations.

Of course, the REC Center at RIC probably cost less than $1 Million to build back in 1989. So, the longer they wait to build this thing, exclusively for like less than 30 people to use (assuming Women's BB too) the more it is going to cost in the long run.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well we're hearing that Thorr will "redouble his efforts" to get program enhancements done, due to the furor over so many transfers.

Typical URI. Always reactive, never proactive.

The horse [Hurley] already 99% had left the barn last time promises were made.

Now this.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I know I said I would move past this...but I have to question his judgement on this one.

But for Kentucky to take him....they must think he'll be as good as his brother.

Good luck kid.
I think this was a great move by Kentucky. All the reward and little risk. Worst case scenario, he sits at the end of the bench and comes in for a couple minutes here or there and is a good practice player. I'm sure Calipari will find a role for him, no matter how small.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

Kentucky recruits one and done NBA talent consistently. He’s going to have to drastically improve to actual see the floor and play meaningful minutes. It’ll be a fun experience but if he wants to play this is a dumb move.
You can average three points a game for them and get in the NBA.
Give me even one example where that’s true.
This isn't an example per se, but Wenyen Gabriel averaged 4.6 PPG and 6.8 PPG in his two years at Kentucky. He went undrafted in 2018 and is now roster filler for the Trailblazers. He will be out of the league and overseas next year.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Cauley-Stein wasn’t exactly a star at Kentucky either
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Cauley-Stein wasn’t exactly a star at Kentucky either
This is true, but averaging 9 points, 6 rebounds and almost 2 blocks per game for an elite team like Kentucky isn’t too shabby.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Nice. I think he’ll thrive at Western Kentucky - solid move by him.

*adjusts glasses and sees University of Kentucky*

Wait, what!?!?
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

Kentucky recruits one and done NBA talent consistently. He’s going to have to drastically improve to actual see the floor and play meaningful minutes. It’ll be a fun experience but if he wants to play this is a dumb move.
Daniel Orton.
1 x
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ericf0120 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
ericf0120 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob Toppin to Kentucky. Sucks that we lost him but i honestly can’t be mad at him in the least bit anymore. This is a move where it gives him a legitimate shot at the NBA assuming he continues to progress. Hate Kentucky but love Calipari. Best to Toppin moving forward
Whats wrong with this statement? Love Calipari?

Were you around in the 90's

I know his history, but as far as player development and coaching goes, he is top notch. Yeah he won’t play much, and i would have chosen Oregon or Iowa St if I were him, but he’s going to get unreal exposure, train and practice against the best, and get coached up by one of the best coaching staffs in the country. I could easily see him staying till senior year and being a major part of that team starting his junior year. Just needs to add polish to his game and he’ll be a breakout player for them
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Daniel Orton.
He was a 6'10", 260 pound center that was the 13th ranked HS prospect on ESPN and the 22nd ranked HS prospect on Rivals. He was also behind some guy named DeMarcus Cousins in the rotation, and John Wall, Patrick Patterson and Eric Bledsoe also averaged double figures for that team. Semantically, you're correct, but that's not going to be comparable to Jacob Toppin's situation at all if he goes to Kentucky and averages 3 points a game.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

EJ Montgomery just averaged 6 pts and declared for the NBA draft.
So, 3 was a slight exaggeration, but not far off.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think it is more likely he reaches his potential at Kentucky. I wish he stayed but I think both teams can be better off. At Kentucky he can pick his spots and be successful and Cal will coach him really hard. At URI we need an every possession impact player that battles. I don't think he had that in him.

Good for both clubs.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago EJ Montgomery just averaged 6 pts and declared for the NBA draft.
Ninth ranked HS prospect, and another 6'10" PF who averaged 5.4 rebounds per game. Like, the comparable for Toppin is if there was a wing ranked 100+, went to Kentucky and became an NBA player after posting middling stats. On Kentucky's roster, Toppin strikes me as a hedge option - like, he's a somewhat experienced college player who can step in if one of the highly recruited freshmen is worse than expected, or if they're ineligible. I don't think Toppin was ever an NBA prospect - he might get on a G-League roster just because of his name, a la Giannis' little brothers and the Marburys and J.R. Smiths's brother - and I don't think him going to Kentucky changes that, unless he shocks everyone and posts some gaudy stats.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I keep thinking of Kostas Antetokounmpo, Giannis''s brother, who played one year at Dayton then declared for the draft. Was drafted 60th (last) overall and is now in the G-League for the Lakers, but I don't see him as a serviceable NBA player anytime soon. He's played five games in the league... 15 minutes, two points (0-3 from the field, 2-4 from the line), two rebounds total. But when you have that name recognition on the back of your jersey, you'll get some attention for sure. I'm not sure he would have entered the draft, been drafted, and in the G-League if his name wasn't Antetokounmpo, so I'm sure Jacob is trying to similarly cash in.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago EJ Montgomery just averaged 6 pts and declared for the NBA draft.
Ninth ranked HS prospect, and another 6'10" PF who averaged 5.4 rebounds per game. Like, the comparable for Toppin is if there was a wing ranked 100+, went to Kentucky and became an NBA player after posting middling stats. On Kentucky's roster, Toppin strikes me as a hedge option - like, he's a somewhat experienced college player who can step in if one of the highly recruited freshmen is worse than expected, or if they're ineligible. I don't think Toppin was ever an NBA prospect - he might get on a G-League roster just because of his name, a la Giannis' little brothers and the Marburys and J.R. Smiths's brother - and I don't think him going to Kentucky changes that, unless he shocks everyone and posts some gaudy stats.
He made a statement and you challenged it. He was not far off. You have to forget HS rankings at this point. If Calipari brings him in and he plays a decent role and averages 5-6 points next year, he may get drafted on potential alone (continued projection of his body, etc.). The way the NBA works now is they'd rather take a 20 yr old who still has perceived growth rather than a 22 yr old who has plateaued.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I wish people would stop saying that players "declared for the NBA draft" like it means anything. Getting drafted, now that's something. But declaring for the draft means very little.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Daniel Orton.
He was a 6'10", 260 pound center that was the 13th ranked HS prospect on ESPN and the 22nd ranked HS prospect on Rivals. He was also behind some guy named DeMarcus Cousins in the rotation, and John Wall, Patrick Patterson and Eric Bledsoe also averaged double figures for that team. Semantically, you're correct, but that's not going to be comparable to Jacob Toppin's situation at all if he goes to Kentucky and averages 3 points a game.
I was half kidding, but still he could technically end up like Orton or more similarly Kostas Antetekounmpo. If the NBA knows you have the potential then they'll at least put you in the gleague.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago
He made a statement and you challenged it. He was not far off. You have to forget HS rankings at this point. If Calipari brings him in and he plays a decent role and averages 5-6 points next year, he may get drafted on potential alone (continued projection of his body, etc.). The way the NBA works now is they'd rather take a 20 yr old who still has perceived growth rather than a 22 yr old who has plateaued.
I'm pretty aware of how the NBA draft works, which is why it would be silly to forget HS rankings - They're taken into account by NBA draft people. The guys who get drafted with minimal college stats at premier programs, you can kind of lump into categories: Over seven feet tall, or highly-rated out of high school, or their stats were curtailed by an injury or academic issue (Kyrie Irving, Wiseman). Toppin doesn't match either one of those profiles, so, he better put up some numbers at Kentucky.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Obi and Jacob
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Ehhh...guys just push off of one another to create extra height these days. A lot of guys don't actually clear people by simply jumping anymore, in my opinion. Vince Carter...now he had hops.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I didn’t see where Jacob pushed off of Obi to gain extra lift. Pretty impressive that Jacob finished with his left hand.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

3 seconds in he pushes off of Obi's back. Still very impressive, but they both pushed off.

Kentucky already has the best class in 2020. 2021 they will be near the top again. I don't know how Toppin will play over these types of recruits. Hopefully, by his senior year, he is apart of the rotation and can make an impact.
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/6/26/21 ... k-wildcats
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Hope he’s regretting his decision
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another one who should be in the former player thread.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jacob Toppin preparing for a breakout season.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... ut-season/
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’m preparing for Toppin to average 7 and 4, but sure, breakout works too.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kentucky got some reinforcements coming in is Toppin gonna start ??
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I only wonder if Calipari really does go to the pro game in the near future and it is not just grumbling due to the struggles of this past season, how much regret will Toppin have over his decision? Not to leave URI, but going to UK instead of a more modest program. There will definitely be a large downgrade from Coach Cal to the next coach.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus wrote: 2 years ago I only wonder if Calipari really does go to the pro game in the near future and it is not just grumbling due to the struggles of this past season, how much regret will Toppin have over his decision? Not to leave URI, but going to UK instead of a more modest program. There will definitely be a large downgrade from Coach Cal to the next coach.

Seems a good amount of optimism in Toppin’s return next season

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 2 years ago I only wonder if Calipari really does go to the pro game in the near future and it is not just grumbling due to the struggles of this past season, how much regret will Toppin have over his decision? Not to leave URI, but going to UK instead of a more modest program. There will definitely be a large downgrade from Coach Cal to the next coach.

Seems a good amount of optimism in Toppin’s return next season

I know it's a just a workout, but his handles in the second video are 100X where they were with us or even last season with Kentucky. Didn't think he had it in him.
0 x
Go Rhody