2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Louis University
The Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 2, 2019
4:00PM

Media
TV: CBS Sports Network
Online: CBS Sports Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
St. Louis Fan Site

Opponent
Record:
14-7, 5-3 in the A10
Last season: 17-16, 9-9 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 120
KenPom: 122
NCAA NET: 109

Leaders (Current):
Points – Javon Bess, 16.5 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Hasahn French, 8.4 (Soph., F)
Assists – Jordan Goodwin, 3.7 (Soph., G) (2.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 12-8
H: 5-2, A: 6-6, N: 1-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/6/19 60-53 L at St Louis
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – St Louis
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

This game is a "White Out" so wear white if you are going.

After these last 2 games, I will probably be in a black out.
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago This game is a "White Out" so wear white if you are going.

I thought white out went bring bleach to pour into your eyes at the under four time out? That was my plan, anyway.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
spookydog wrote: 5 years ago This game is a "White Out" so wear white if you are going.

I thought white out went bring bleach to pour into your eyes at the under four time out? That was my plan, anyway.
It's been moved up to the beginning of the second half.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So I brought my two nephews with me to the Stony Brook game. I'll be bringing them plus their sister to this one. Their dad is a PC graduate, but doesn't care about basketball, so I'm trying my best to get them into URI. Clearly it's very important that we don't suck Saturday
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

A large crowd and some positive energy will do all of us some good. So wear your white!
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I always laughed when bar was so quick to criticize Travis Ford, but now that I’ve paid more attention to what he’s doing... wth?

Smartest decision Jared Terrell ever made.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This game is a battle between 2 teams going in the wrong direction.

We are at home....I expect better defense from us.

St. Louis has played a lot of close games, even against teams they were expected to beat easily.

It has caught up to them.

We have 2 coaches, one who isn't very good at x's and o's...and one who still has a lot to learn.

No real advantage there.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago So I brought my two nephews with me to the Stony Brook game. I'll be bringing them plus their sister to this one. Their dad is a PC graduate, but doesn't care about basketball, so I'm trying my best to get them into URI. Clearly it's very important that we don't suck Saturday
The niece is going to make all the difference here, I can just feel it!
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I almost always try to get there ~45-50 minutes before tipoff, especially on weekends, but I have another commitment on Saturday which means I probably will walk in the door of the RC AFTER 4 in the line to get in with all the jabronis.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe they should start serving bleach at the RC....ha ha
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings gives us a 67% to win....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......Team Rankings gives us a 67% to win....
This now means nothing to me the rest of the season...
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I never pay attention to that puff......especially with this team.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago

McLOVIN!!!
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Heading into this weekend the A10 Standings with the all important 4 First Round Byes at stake:

Tough next 6 scheduled games ahead (except for Fordham) with SLU(H), Davidson(A), Dayton(H), Fordham(H), VCU(A) and Davidson(H)

(7-1) George Mason (13-8)
(6-1) Davidson (15-5)
(6-2) Duquesne (15-6)
(6-2) Dayton (14-7)
(5-2) VCU (14-6)
(5-3) St Louis (14-7)
(4-3) St Bonaventure (8-12)
(4-4) URI (11-9)
(3-4) LaSalle (5-14)
(3-5) George Washington (7-14)
(2-6) St josephs (9-12)
(2-6) Richmond (8-13)
(1-7) UMASS (8-13)
(0-8) Fordham (9-12)

URI Games Remaining with current standings:
6th - Saint Louis (H)
2nd -Davidson (A)
3rd T - Dayton (H)
14th - Fordham (H)
5th - VCU (A)
2nd - Davidson (H)
10th - George Washington (H)
3rd T - Dayton (A)
11th - St Josephs (A)
13th - UMASS (H)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is this where they turn the page and start the winning streak all the way to the big apple? Put a foot down David!
1 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In today's ProJo Sports there is an interesting article on how the Patriots became motivated after their devastating loss to Miami. The article contained a quote from Patriots defensive end, Deatrich Wise, which has relevance in Kingston:

"When losers win, they lose focus. When winners lose, they learn from the loss and then they take that lesson forward in life."

The question is does this better describe URI after the VCU win or will it better describe URI after the Duquesne loss????
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we're going to get to 11-7 and 18-12 overall, which was my prediction in the contest, we will have to win ALL of our home games plus a road game.

Absolutely NO margin for error. Losing the Duquesne game made it that much harder. Going 7-3 the rest of the way might only be one game tougher than 6-4, but it was big nevertheless.

11-7 will only get us around a 6 seed.....maybe going 9-9 would be better....in either case we will likely be playing on Thursday come tourney time.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Maybe they will flip the script.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If we're going to get to 11-7 and 18-12 overall, which was my prediction in the contest, we will have to win ALL of our home games plus a road game.

Absolutely NO margin for error. Losing the Duquesne game made it that much harder. Going 7-3 the rest of the way might only be one game tougher than 6-4, but it was big nevertheless.

11-7 will only get us around a 6 seed.....maybe going 9-9 would be better....in either case we will likely be playing on Thursday come tourney time.
This team will be lucky to go 9-9 in league play. Too inconsistent to expect more. May not get another road win with away games at Dayton, VCU, Davidson, and St Joe's. Wins at home are also no certainties given the horrendous performances put forth versus Stony Brook and George Mason. I think #7 is the ceiling for a seed but with them currently at #8, odds are it could be worse. At any rate, this team will not survive more than a game or two in Brooklyn where it will all end in the second week of March. Only questions that remain are if they can finish with a .500 or better record and stay in the top 150 NET rankings. Welcome to mediocrity and mostly meaningless basketball (save for experience for the future).
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comments in this Saturday morning article....

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... r-his-team
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting comments in this Saturday morning article....

I really dislike when coaches complain about “this generation.” Every generation criticizes “kids today,” as if the one before didn’t say the same things about them. And, even if there’s some validity to it, figure it out. They’re also the reason any coach gets to make a nice living.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting comments in this Saturday morning article....

I really dislike when coaches complain about “this generation.” Every generation criticizes “kids today,” as if the one before didn’t say the same things about them. And, even if there’s some validity to it, figure it out. They’re also the reason any coach gets to make a nice living.
I cringed upon reading the quotations, and have bad vibes about hearing “It’s a process” as it sounds Baronesque to me.
Fact is all 353 D1 teams and all 14 A10 team players are from the same generation - All 14 Head Coaches selected, recruited and are now coaching players from the same generation - next 10 games will say a lot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The excuse train is entering the station......not good.

If you didn't listen to Dan Hurley, you would be sitting on the bench.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The excuse train is entering the station......not good.

If you didn't listen to Dan Hurley, you would be sitting on the bench.
And if DH was on the bench, you'd be playing relentless, smothering, PITA, D. Let's hope we see some of that today.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

St. Louis isn't a good 3 pt. shooting team, but they play good defense usually.

This one will be close, just hope we don't go brain dead at the end and give it away.

Davidson on the road will be a real test of whether they want to play in your face 3 pt. defense all game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Biggest matchup is Langevine vs Frenchy. Need to own the boards today.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That and Dowtin against Bess.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

gotta work, hope i wake up to some good news after this one!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sure, but I think progressively over time things have gotten more and more out of hand. Today's society, through Twitter, Instagram, Rivals, Scout, ESPN, Youtube, there is so much exposure from a young age. AAU motives are still the same as they were thirty years ago, but it's all of the extra attention these guys have gotten from such a young age that makes them often think they are better than they are. I've heard many people call it the "instant gratification" society, and I agree with that. Someone doesn't start or play the minutes they want, the first instinct isn't always to work harder and prove it, but to transfer to an easier situation. I think it's often why a roster of strong upperclassmen can match up against the uber-talented five-star teams like Kentucky or Duke in the tournament. Many of those kids weren't just handed roles, they learned to fight for them, and use that edge plus experience to their advantage to make up for some of the athletic/talent deficiencies.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

I think it's often why a roster of strong upperclassmen can match up against the uber-talented five-star teams like Kentucky or Duke in the tournament. Many of those kids weren't just handed roles, they learned to fight for them, and use that edge plus experience to their advantage to make up for some of the athletic/talent deficiencies.
Ok, but all those guys are “this generation.”
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think it's often why a roster of strong upperclassmen can match up against the uber-talented five-star teams like Kentucky or Duke in the tournament. Many of those kids weren't just handed roles, they learned to fight for them, and use that edge plus experience to their advantage to make up for some of the athletic/talent deficiencies.
Sure but are they the exception? I mean, what was the total transfer number last year? 850 student athletes? Every team pretty much loses two transfers per season, and that number has been increasing year over year. A few years ago, people were talking about how 700 transfers was historical, now it's around 850. In three years, that number could very well be between 950-1000 student athletes. That number is unprecedented. It's also why redshirts have been effectively murdered, because programs are weary of giving the student athlete the extra year because they can grad transfer anywhere and play immediately. You have players who move 3x in one career, once as a traditional transfer and once as a grad transfer. Why?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sure but are they the exception? I mean, what was the total transfer number last year? 850 student athletes? Every team pretty much loses two transfers per season, and that number has been increasing year over year. A few years ago, people were talking about how 700 transfers was historical, now it's around 850. In three years, that number could very well be between 950-1000 student athletes. That number is unprecedented. It's also why redshirts have been effectively murdered, because programs are weary of giving the student athlete the extra year because they can grad transfer anywhere and play immediately. You have players who move 3x in one career, once as a traditional transfer and once as a grad transfer. Why?
Maybe it’s the way they’re being recruited and the stories they’re told by coaches? Honestly, I find “transfer epidemic” talk to be boring and often unfair and prejudicial against the players. I’m not going to further disrupt the game thread. All of these coaches are working within the same system. I work in education and generally really appreciate coaches, like Cox, who come from an education background. Of course there are some students with which I work that are their own worst enemies, but I’m the adult in the situation, so our job is to figure it out.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ace wrote: 5 years ago Maybe it’s the way they’re being recruited and the stories they’re told by coaches? Honestly, I find “transfer epidemic” talk to be boring and often unfair and prejudicial against the players. I’m not going to further disrupt the game thread. All of these coaches are working within the same system. I work in education and generally really appreciate coaches, like Cox, who come from an education background. Of course there are some students with which I work that are their own worst enemies, but I’m the adult in the situation, so our job is to figure it out.
That's fine and we'll leave it as different opinion, the only thing i would say is you made the comment above "maybe it's the way they're being recruited and the stories they're told by coaches?" That very well could be partly true, but did coaches just start telling these stories and sales pitches in 2010? Coaches have been leveraging players and telling them what they want for years. One of my favorite documentaries was the movie Hoops Dreams from 1994, which illustrated all of the games being played back in the early 90s, and it was going on before then as well.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm wondering what the crowd will look like today. We're going - wife got tickets through a school fund raiser...so I feel like we have to use them...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......hopefully large, loud, and (white).......white out, my bad.....
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......hopefully large, loud, and white......
I feel like it’s really important to clarify here, for anyone not paying attention earlier, that this game is being touted as a “white out.”
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......hopefully large, loud, and white......
I feel like it’s really important to clarify here, for anyone not paying attention earlier, that this game is being touted as a “white out.”
:lol:
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I self-identify as "pink". Will I be allowed inside today? :oops:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Can’t wait until white out is racist. I’m thinking there’ll be a good crowd today.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

GAME TIME!!!!!!!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let’s go RHODY !

Time to get a VICTORY
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is that link in the headline to this post the correct link for the game?
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

pls NO OT !
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Considering the horror show of Wednesday, pretty good turnout.
IMG_20190202_155603.jpg
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Nice crowd
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Fired up / can we FINALLY have a JH siting ?!?

BEGGIN

COME ON KID !
0 x