1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island at Duquesne University
A. J. Palumbo Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
Projo
Duquesne Fan Site

Opponent
Record:
14-6, 5-2 in the A10
Last season: 16-16, 7-11 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 128
KenPom: 172
NCAA NET: 158

Leaders (Current):
Points – Eric Williams Jr, 13.0 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Eric Williams Jr, 7.8 (Soph., G)
Assists – Sincere Carry, 5.8 (Fr., G) (2.9 TO per game)*
*Note: Carry missed last game with a knee injury. IDK if healthy for this matchup. If he doesn’t play, which would be a big bonus for URI, Tavian Dunn-Martin is their next leading assist leader at 2.8 (1.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 33-25
H: 19-11, A: 14-12, N: 0-2
Most Recent Matchup: 1/27/18 61-58 W at Home
Most Recent Win Streak: 4 - URI
Last edited by spookydog 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by steviep123 »

I have a question about ESPN+. Can you start the game late and from the beginning? I probably won't be able to start watching until 7:30, but I don't want to pick it up in the middle. I don't remember if it will allow you to start from the beginning. Thanks in advance.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings gives us a 54% to win......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rirams95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rirams95 »

KenPom gives us a 51% to win.

The Dukes offense is ranked #191, We are at #201, so basically even. Their offense has been better in A-10 play, #2 in conference play (we're #5)
What they do well on defense is create turnovers (#28 in the country) and they get a fair number of blocks. Michael Hughes is averaging 2.1 blocks in just 23 minutes a game.

They are very weak on defense on allowing offense rebounds, and that's one thing our offense does well.

They tend to play a slightly faster pace than we do.
2 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

you can watch mid game but can't start from beginning during game. Also they have replays(keep scrolling to the right to see them)
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Put Umass behind us....the next 4 (Duquesne, St Louis, Davidson, Dayton) will tell us a lot more about where we stack up this year, and in the future.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If there is one thing you can credit the staff for, it's the bounce-back after losses.

Lose 66-65 at College of Charleston, beat Harvard 76-74
Lose 68-58 to Stony Brook, beat Brown 71-51
Lose 59-50 at Providence, win at Holy Cross 79-63
Lose 84-82 vs Bucknell, win 75-61 vs Charlotte
Lose 68-60 at Hawaii, win 72-60 against Middle Tennessee
Lose 60-53 at St. Louis, win 78-67 at Richmond
Lose 84-67 to George Mason, beat St. Bonaventure 75-63

Obviously it's a road game, but given past bounce backs, would be surprised if the effort wasn't there.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Put Umass behind us....the next 4 (Duquesne, St Louis, Davidson, Dayton) will tell us a lot more about where we stack up this year, and in the future.
.......yes, yes they will......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They showed they could beat a good A10 team at home (VCU). Now they need to show they can beat a top 5 A10 team on the road. I am not confident they can. I am surprised the win probability is in Rhody’s favor.

Duquesne’s strength creating turnovers scares me because that is Rhody’s weakness.
They need to increase the number of shot attempts per game and you can’t do that with 15+ turnovers.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
spookydog
Tom Garrick

This is the 3rd game in a row where we have had a 4 game winning streak against the opponent.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A/TO ratio has been a key stat for us this year. Assists are down and TOs are up. Part of the assist situation is the overall shooting inconsistency, but there have been way too many unforced turnovers. Fatts or Jeff trying to force action, Cyril being Cyril, some of these things are correctable. You can live with a few Jeff or Fatts TOs because as the only true ball handlers they will at times have to force the action, but we must improve in this vital category.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In watching the game Saturday, the announcer said that Sincere Carry was out for both a knee and back injuries. Not sure which was more responsible for him missing the game.

*Note: Carry missed last game with a knee injury. IDK if healthy for this matchup. If he doesn’t play, which would be a big bonus for URI, Tavian Dunn-Martin is their next leading assist leader at 2.8 (1.7 TO per game)
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dunn-Martin dropped a career high 21 vs VCU in Carry's absence.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Gotta make this our Super Bowl.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This will be tough one. Keith Dambrot in his second year at Duquesne has done great job, especially considering he took the job facing an empty cupboard. Last year his Duquesne team took our NCAA bound team to the limit on our home court nonetheless. In that game Duquesne lead most of the game, building a 16 point lead with 5 minutes gone in the second half. It took heroics by Stan Robinson for URI to get the win at the buzzer.

Amazing Dambrot has only two returning players from that team and has recruited a whole new cadre of players. In the YTD stats on shooting, Duquesne and URI are equal on FG % at 43, Duquesne has better 3-point shooting 32% versus the Rams' 28%, and slightly better on FT's, 70% versus 68%. Should be an entertaining game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

is Yur View picking this one up?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can see us winning this game then dropping one to Fordham.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I can see us winning this game then dropping one to Fordham.
........or the other way around, or winning both, or loosing both......to continue the expecting the unexpected from this team......consistently inconsistent to a .500 type finish......I see nothing to change that from the offense, defense or the coaching......we are what the record says we are.....pass me the half full glass of anything Whalers......good place for a Coach’s Show except they don’t serve Miller Lite.....Go Rhody....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago is Yur View picking this one up?
No, they will not be. As far as my knowledge, YurView only has home games. I need to sign up for ESPN+ again since I cancelled it a week ago (I didn't realize we had another ESPN+ game left on the schedule). Going to make sure it works on my TV this evening. Last game we had on EPSN+ it wouldn't load properly via the web browser on my TV.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well he won't be 100% but will play some I guess.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think that YurView channel is carrying the PC game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good 8 minute press conf interview with Keith Dambrot
Says he expects Sincere Carry to play today. Calls him one of the toughest kids he has ever coached. He had his knee drained. Practiced yesterday.
Interesting comments about big men in the league in the last minute covering French, Langevine and Santos-Sousa.

https://pghsportslive.com/duquesne/duqu ... brot-1-29/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne message board. URI Game Thread.

http://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewf ... e.php?id=1
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Duquesne message board. URI Game Thread.

It is already in my original game preview :D
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Duquesne message board. URI Game Thread.

It is already in my original game preview :D
Sorry,
Missed it, to be honest I don't usually read the game previews but I guess I'll start :oops: :oops:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If the UMASS Game vs URI was their Super Bowl than this game for Duquesne carries similar weight. Duquesne is (6-2) 14-6 and in 4th place in the A10 with a big game coming up Saturday at 2pm @ 3rd place Dayton (6-2) 14-7. Sincere Carry is back tonight at PG for Duquesne. Sure that Dambrot wants to go into Dayton with a (6-2) 15-6 record and fighting for a 1st round bye in the 10 Tournament

George Mason (7-1) W5 13-8
Davidson (6-1) W3 15-5
Dayton (6-2) W2 14-7
Duquesne (5-2) L1 14-6
Saint Louis (5-2) L2 14-6
VCU (5-2) W1 14-6
Rhode Island (4-3) L1 11-8
St. Bonaventure(4-3) W2 8-12
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Damn, I thought we were done with this stupid ESPN+ nonsense. I already pay $28,327 a month to those @sshats at Cox. Now I have to pay another 5 bucks a month AGAIN?If we don't win I'm gonna DEMAND a refund!
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Damn, I thought we were done with this stupid ESPN+ nonsense. I already pay $28,327 a month to those @sshats at Cox. Now I have to pay another 5 bucks a month AGAIN?If we don't win I'm gonna DEMAND a refund!
Counterpoint... ESPN+ games are easier for me to archive.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Damn, I thought we were done with this stupid ESPN+ nonsense. I already pay $28,327 a month to those @sshats at Cox. Now I have to pay another 5 bucks a month AGAIN?If we don't win I'm gonna DEMAND a refund!
Cox Communications is the bane of my existence. I call them to upgrade/downgrade my package if there's a game on CBSSN for example. Every time I call in they're like, "the promo you had last week doesn't exist anymore so now your bill is going up by $10 a month because we've increased our costs." As soon as basketball season is over my cable cox is going back to their "Solutions Store" where the anime fan dude asked me if I "needed Bravo to watch Housewives" :roll:

As for ESPN+ -- I did the free trial and canceled it since I thought we only had one game on there. The Duquesne game didn't have TV listed on gorhody.com. When I canceled ESPN+ the guy I spoke with made it easy, but he tried to get me to not cancel since there was going to be a UFC fight that weekend. I'm like I'm all set I only watch basketball on there.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fyi, there is a lot of good college basketball on ESPN+ and they have replays. I take a look at the scores around the country around 8:00 and want to watch a close game against teams of interest. Often that game is on ESPN+.

The infomercial is over. We now return to your regularly scheduled program :D
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Cox Communications is the bane of my existence. I call them to upgrade/downgrade my package if there's a game on CBSSN for example. Every time I call in they're like, "the promo you had last week doesn't exist anymore so now your bill is going up by $10 a month because we've increased our costs." As soon as basketball season is over my cable cox is going back to their "Solutions Store" where the anime fan dude asked me if I "needed Bravo to watch Housewives" :roll:

As for ESPN+ -- I did the free trial and canceled it since I thought we only had one game on there. The Duquesne game didn't have TV listed on gorhody.com. When I canceled ESPN+ the guy I spoke with made it easy, but he tried to get me to not cancel since there was going to be a UFC fight that weekend. I'm like I'm all set I only watch basketball on there.
My sentiments exactly! I have Verizon FiOS at our rental house and we've had fewer problems with them in 10 years than 10 months for Cox. Our condo is in a converted carriage house with thick brick walls and Verizon can't service us ... YET ... but I hope that day will come and end my Cox nightmare.
Cox Communications - Your Pariah In The Digital Age
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago

My sentiments exactly! I have Verizon FiOS at our rental house and we've had fewer problems with them in 10 years than 10 months for Cox. Our condo is in a converted carriage house with thick brick walls and Verizon can't service us ... YET ... but I hope that day will come and end my Cox nightmare.
I also have a condo. Most of my neighbors only are here in the summer, or the ones that are here year-round have Fios.

I am doing a free trial (ahem, since I've never done one before) of ESPN+. Doing a test now, and I still cannot log into it via the web browser on my TV. If I go to the ESPN+ URL, I cannot log in. I then went to gorhody.com, clicked on the schedule, and the same thing happened -- there is something that makes the browser on my tv incompatible with ESPN+ logging in.

My last resort (which I am going to try to make work now) is HDMI from my TV to my laptop.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You're much more electronically optimistic than me. I'm just glad to watch the game on my tablet. To get that, the TV and the sound system to work together takes far more technical legerdemain than I am willing to attempt.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago You're much more electronically optimistic than me. I'm just glad to watch the game on my tablet. To get that, the TV and the sound system to work together takes far more technical legerdemain than I am willing to attempt.
So I ended up doing the ESPN + support chat, and apparently, you're unable to watch via built-in TV web browser since it's "not a supported device". A web browser isn't a supported device to watch a streaming service.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago

I also have a condo. Most of my neighbors only are here in the summer, or the ones that are here year-round have Fios.

I am doing a free trial (ahem, since I've never done one before) of ESPN+. Doing a test now, and I still cannot log into it via the web browser on my TV. If I go to the ESPN+ URL, I cannot log in. I then went to gorhody.com, clicked on the schedule, and the same thing happened -- there is something that makes the browser on my tv incompatible with ESPN+ logging in.

My last resort (which I am going to try to make work now) is HDMI from my TV to my laptop.
Did you use a new email account? Trying to figure this free trial out. I cancelled my trial as well since I thought we only had one game on espn+
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....got the + up here, pic and audio great....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

no sound?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .....got the + up here, pic and audio great....
........full audio.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Listening on my computer atm, could be worse.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

So far so good. Testing Harris on D early, let up a couple buckets but they were tough shots. Will likely need to adjust and collapse on the block to avoid the easy turnaround baby hook.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years agono sound?
It starts with sound off. Click on the speaker icon with the X thru it.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dowtin had alley opp to Martin but passed it to Fatts for three
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What's the reason Harris was taken out already?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Omar, a block and a 3, give him some minutes!
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Offense has been pretty good. Defense similarly impressive but in the direction of bad.

Hey Omar gets a block and a 30 ft 3 pointer!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What's the reason Harris was taken out already?
........scripted....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....a Fatts getting three happy.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Omar in early and nails a three.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What's the reason Harris was taken out already?
........scripted....?
4 minutes and 53 seconds?
0 x