Terrific article on Nate Oats

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Terrific article on Nate Oats

Unread post by PeteRI »

Lots of URI parallels:

- The Hurley connection
- Desire to create the next mid-major powerhouse
- Need to update and expand basketball facilities
- Commitment from large alumni group for financial support
- Intensity of practices and the insistence on consistent effort (we clearly don't have this right now)

https://theathletic.com/762393/2019/01/ ... tty-great/
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Terrific article on Nate Oats

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Oats would have been a great hire, but he's looking for bigger and better things now.

Yes we would have lost most of the recruits and taken a big step back for a couple of years, but no doubt he would have had us back on the right track and soon.

Right now I would take that. We've obviously taken a step or 2 back even with the recruits.

An inexperienced coach with this inexperienced team is a double whammy.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Oats was not even an option last year per my memory. He had just signed a big extension with Buffalo and already had sights then on his next gig being a high profile job.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Oats was not even an option last year per my memory. He had just signed a big extension with Buffalo and already had sights then on his next gig being a high profile job.
Yeah I know.....just wishful thinking on my part. The "jump" from Buffalo to URI wouldn't have been enticing enough for him...and even then I doubt he would have wanted to follow Dan. I mean that in a good way.

If DC ends up as good a coach as Oats is, we will have a winner. But right now who knows?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

You bailing on David Cox 15 games in @rambone78 ?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No......I give Cox a C- halfway thru his 1st season as coach.

I expect things will improve both on the court and on the sideline.

How much we don't know. I think everybody's confidence is a little down right now...and that includes the KB board.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

C- agree pretty much.

I believe the situation can and will be cleaned up. Cox is too much of an old school hoops guy to blow his first big chance.

I expect to see a new / more focused act tonight starting with elimination of the pregame nonsense.

All business right out of the locker room!

Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago C- agree pretty much.

I believe the situation can and will be cleaned up. Cox is too much of an old school hoops guy to blow his first big chance.

I expect to see a new / more focused act tonight starting with elimination of the pregame nonsense.

Go Rhody!
Yeah knock off the [attempted] circus act pregame, that would be a start, and show that discipline has improved.

Why Cox and staff allowed that I can't figure out. DH would never have.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago C- agree pretty much.

Go Rhody!
Yeah knock off the [attempted] circus act pregame, that would be a start, and show that discipline has improved.

Why Cox and staff allowed that I can't figure out. DH would never have.
Players did the exact same thing before games under Hurley. Certain players might not have done it, but there were definitely players trying circus dunks
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago No......I give Cox a C- halfway thru his 1st season as coach.

I expect things will improve both on the court and on the sideline.

How much we don't know. I think everybody's confidence is a little down right now...and that includes the KB board.
My confidence is fine. A10 final, here we come.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oats has P5 written all over him

How long can Buffalo keep him ???
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Enough with the pregame warm up bullshit. The kids are shooting in the gym 1-2 hours before tip. The pregame is for the fans to enjoy. In no way does it affect the their gameplay, but rather loosens the guys up before the game. All GM did before the game was circus tricks, alley oops, behind the back passes, etc....the real work was done before they run out the tunnel, all of maybe 3-6 minutes before the actual tip-off. These theories are becoming more idiotic, and just about every team in America does it. At some point, some of you have to get over yourselves.

We are singing the praises of Nate Oats now because his pantry wasn’t left bare. Believe me, when his big guns depart, so will he, for a cash grab gig. In the interim, he will be PC and continue to say all the right things for the fan base and alumnus alike.

I can guarantee if Nate Oats came here, retained the recruits and was 9-7, we’d be crying that, we shouldve kept Cox for xyz reason....or we should’ve hired Pitino blah blah blah...

Seriously, what did you guys do during DH’s first year here?? How did you make it this far.....??? WE ARE NOT LAST YEARS TEAM!
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You're not seriously comparing this year to Dan's first year here are you? I mean, you're a honk, and nobody takes you seriously because you can't issue or abide a single critical comment about Cox, but you're not this far gone are you?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago You're not seriously comparing this year to Dan's first year here are you? I mean, you're a honk, and nobody takes you seriously because you can't issue or abide a single critical comment about Cox, but you're not this far gone are you?
What the fuck is all this “honk” shit about?! I am a FUCKING FAN! I LOVED DANNY HURLEY WHILE HE WAS HERE! Never had a bad thing to say about the man. He was/is a GREAT COACH. We all sat back and collectively took our lumps with Danny. We have to allow Cox the same leash. I feel 99% of the reactions are so fucking knee jerk, that you all are oblivious to what we really LOST LAST YEAR!!!

I am a DC Native, a URI undergrad and got my post grad at Georgetown while Cox was there. He was a helluva recruiter/scout then, and he’s still doing the same here. I’m tied in to the east coast recruiting scene a bit.

It’s a brand new hat that Cox is wearing, and sometimes you have to go thru sweat and storms to fully break a hat ALL THE WAY IN. It’s a PROCESS! I am here for the process, not to berate, downgrade, or insult the man whenever the chips don’t fall in our favor.

You guys throw tantrums worse than my fucking 2 year old. Grow a god damn pair or go root for Duke!
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hope folks didn't misinterpret my putting this link here as an indictment of Coach Cox. I think he's a fine person and a committed leader of young men, and I have every confidence that between his coaching, mentoring and recruiting, we will be back in the NCAAs sooner rather than later.

I simply linked to this article because I found the similarities between Buffalo's and our programs striking.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago You're not seriously comparing this year to Dan's first year here are you? I mean, you're a honk, and nobody takes you seriously because you can't issue or abide a single critical comment about Cox, but you're not this far gone are you?
What the fuck is all this “honk” shit about?! I am a FUCKING FAN! I LOVED DANNY HURLEY WHILE HE WAS HERE! Never had a bad thing to say about the man. He was/is a GREAT COACH. We all sat back and collectively took our lumps with Danny. We have to allow Cox the same leash. I feel 99% of the action are so fucking knee jerk, that you all are oblivious to what we really LOST LAST YEAR!!!

I am a DC Native, a URI undergrad and got my post grad at Georgetown while Cox was there. He was a helluva recruiter/scout then, and he’s still doing the same here. I’m tied in to the east coast recruiting scene a bit.

It’s a brand new hat that Cox is wearing, and sometimes you have to go thru sweat and storms to fully break a hat ALL THE WAY IN. It’s a PROCESS! I am here for the process, not to berate, downgrade, or insult the man whenever the chips don’t fall in our favor.

You guys throw tantrums worse than my fucking 2 year old. Grow a god damn pair or go root for Duke!
You're such a URI fan that you never showed up until Cox got here. You refuse to say anything critical about Cox, yet have no problem saying negative things about the athletes. You shouted down anyone that dared suggest any other candidate but Cox this offseason. It's crystal clear where your real allegiances lie.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
What the fuck is all this “honk” shit about?! I am a FUCKING FAN! I LOVED DANNY HURLEY WHILE HE WAS HERE! Never had a bad thing to say about the man. He was/is a GREAT COACH. We all sat back and collectively took our lumps with Danny. We have to allow Cox the same leash. I feel 99% of the action are so fucking knee jerk, that you all are oblivious to what we really LOST LAST YEAR!!!

You're such a URI fan that you never showed up until Cox got here. You refuse to say anything critical about Cox, yet have no problem saying negative things about the athletes. You shouted down anyone that dared suggest any other candidate but Cox this offseason. It's crystal clear where your real allegiances lie.
You sound like a honk for me, get off my nuts, please.

Go find a single negative comment I had to say about Danny. Just one. I always criticize the players, rarely a coach. They r are the ones that suit up. My belief system is different than yours, and that’s perfectly legal, ya know?!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Go find a single negative comment I had to say about Danny. Just one. I always criticize the players, rarely a coach. They r are the ones that suit up. My belief system is different than yours, and that’s perfectly legal, ya know?!

PMs exist for a reason, no one gives a shit about your pissing contest
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can guarantee if Nate Oats came here, retained the recruits and was 9-7, we’d be crying that, we shouldve kept Cox for xyz reason....or we should’ve hired Pitino blah blah blah...
There will ALWAYS be reason to say this, until we get to the F4. JMHO. (And, that's not a reflection on DC at all)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is just plain bass ackwards.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

This is just plain bass ackwards.
To each his own. Coaches don’t miss FT’s on wide open lay ups. Coaches don’t blow planned defensive assignments. I respect your opinion though. The kids at times are in the right place at the right time and just don’t finish, in instances they can and should.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The "kids" are kids...how would you like to be sitting in the stands and have someone ranking on your 18 year old, or yakking all over him on the internet?
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Yep and if you dont think a lot of the players read these comments you’re nuts.

They shouldn’t probably but a lot of them do....

Player and coach families too. We know all about that from numerous examples of pushback regarding mean comments on here.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago The "kids" are kids...how would you like to be sitting in the stands and have someone ranking on your 18 year old, or yakking all over him on the internet?
I’m not an extremist. The worst I’ve ever said about any kid on this team is STOP SHOOTING THE DAMN BALL!

I never wish a kid to transfer, or be relinquished to the bench, I simply moan or groan like most fans do.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gotta love it when a team from the MAC is an upgrade to a tournament over a team from the Big Ten... Go Team Mid-Major!

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Potential Hurley/Oats matchup if Oats hangs around.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Potential Hurley/Martelli matchup if they keep him around.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I honestly think in spite of their struggles, St. Joes will let Martelli decide when it's time to go.

They always seem to be a tough out in the conference tourney.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Potential Hurley/Martelli matchup if they keep him around.
That would be amazing. From what I've heard, those two absolutely hate each other.Gotta say I'm on Team Hurley with this one.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since the game if they play won't be at St. Joes, Hurley's team will wipe the floor with Martelli's.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Gotta love it when a team from the MAC is an upgrade to a tournament over a team from the Big Ten... Go Team Mid-Major!

Preseason NIT is then:
Syracuse
Oklahoma State
Mississippi
Penn State

Good for Buffalo to grab this spot
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someday we'll find out which tourney we are in.....
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I can’t wait to see what Oats does. His wife is reportedly healthy now, and they have three young daughters. I don’t know if stability for their kids will be a factor. Home for them is the Michigan and Wisconsin area.

I didn’t like the way some things went down when Bobby was hired at Buffalo and then when he moved on. Oats has, in many ways, made that program his own and has excelled.

As for Martelli and Dan- they’re cool with each other, although Dan may have wanted to fight after that Jarvis/KI game. I know they have a couple good conversations after Newkirk got hurt, and Bob Sr. has been a guest at past St. Joe’s practices. But yeah, I would enjoy a St. Joe’s-UConn matchup. I agree with rambone- I think Martelli will get the Fran Dunphy treatment where the team and coach decide on an exit plan together.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I honestly think in spite of their struggles, St. Joes will let Martelli decide when it's time to go.

They always seem to be a tough out in the conference tourney.
I was talking about Hurls :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x