Message to Coach Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Mongo
ARD

Message to Coach Cox

Unread post by Mongo »

Take control of this team. If players continue to take ridiculous contested NBA 3’s, BENCH THEM and tell them to stop!! If players continue to not rotate on defense, BENCH THEM and tell them to rotate. If our team refuses to pass the ball in the half court offense, call a damn timeout and get in their faces!! PLEASE make Dowtin the official PG and stop trusting Fatts with running the offense. It’s time to step up and be a coach and a leader and hold the players accountable for playing poor basketball. FRUSTRATING!!
10 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: MESSAGE TO COACH COX

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Saw the all caps title and thought this was a luke message :lol: :lol:
Did he say it was ok to use his style?

(PS - luke, if you did drive all the way up here for this...sorry)
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

No, but I wanted it to definitely stand out.... Sorry Luke 😔
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

GREAT POST
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

STEP UP COACH COX STEP UP
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Part of the problem I see is, if guys aren't doing what they are supposed to do, it's hard to bench them due to what other options does Cox have?

We really don't have any guard depth....our frontcourt right now is Cyril and who else? JH isn't getting it done due to injury and inexperience....

Our forwards are freshmen who are all over the place right now.

Guys like CT and Fatts are huge disappointments....how good are they really? Fatts is the biggest one, here we are halfway thru his sophomore year and he's not improving a bit....CT imo has never and will never be anything more than a role player...the more you rely on these guys the more let down you will be.

We really aren't that good....our best win against WVA was a mirage...they stink too.

Our best hope is that the frosh keep developing and someone like Hammond turns out to be a good one....and I hope he can shoot at this level for God's sake.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Question for the Coach--why so much playing time for Thompson (24 minutes tonight)? I went to tonight's game and watched him a lot and he did absolutely nothing. From what I could see his defense was nothing special and was scoreless. Early in the second half after seeing more of our shooting woes I was wondering if Silverio would get to see the court. Of course he did but the game was pretty much out of reach.

We need less of Thompson and more of Martin and Omar going forward. Also less of Preston.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We are missing open shots and that includes free throws. At this point, teaching technique is over and it is a matter of practice. My conclusion is that the players are not practicing their shooting sufficiently by themselves. Their low percentages show indifference. These are open shots. If you cannot consistently make 80% of your FTs when practicing, then you won't make 70% in games, especially when tired at crunch time. The same for three point shooting but with lower percentages.

If percentages are low because players are not getting open shots, then this is a coaching issue to run offensive plays to get shooters open. I blame the poor shooting on the players.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The players who are missing by far the open shots are CT and Fatts.

A big fat 0-12 from 3. Maybe they just aren't that good? The sample size is big enough by now. They stink.

Defensively though, the players and the coach share the blame.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I think a huge problem is that these guys don't seem to either know or be comfortable with their roles.
I think Thompson could be a good player, but Cox has to get him to play to his strengths and to stay in his lane (mainly defense & an "occasional open 3pt shot". He needs to be almost like Stan was last year in a way.
I feel Omar needs to get more playing time...not because he was 3 for 3 today from 3pt land, but just so Fatts and Jeff can get more rest during games. They're both toast towards the end of games. I feel like the amount of minutes those two are playing are what is affecting both of their games right now. Jeff had 15 points but it was a quiet, hard fought 15 and Fatts looked like the worst he's ever been. Again this comes down to learning a roll. Omar needs to know what his role is when he goes on the floor, so he can focus on that and improve each time out.
Same goes for Harris as well. These guys need guidance and fixed roles that play to their strengths, so they can build confidence and develop the rest of their game from there. That's just my opinion because right now it doesn't seem like they know what's expected of them. It was just "let's chuck a 3pt shot", meander around on defense, and hope we can win the lazy way, since we're on our home floor.
Last edited by The Dude 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also think Omar deserves more minutes even if he is just standing at the 3 point line . He looks to have one of the better 3 point shots on the team
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....find your way, be comfortable with that, develop a signature offensive and defense philosophy, teach it with passion, coach it during games with conviction, accept nothing but 100% player commitment to it during games, recruit players to match that philosophy, wipe the slate of dabbling a little of this a little of that that you think was Rhode Island basketball, put your mark on the program.....step out of the DH shadow, make and demonstrate you are the on and off court clear leader of the program......this all will probably take the rest of the season to play out....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

The part I don't get .... if these "necessary changes" are obvious to the KB universe (I agree with them all), how can they not be clear to Sutton and Carroll, who have years of experience. Didn't we hire them for their experience? Is DC just not listening to them?

My big issue is that NOTHING seems to be changing and we will be the same dysfunctional team in March. For Pete's sake, TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....,.with about half the season gone, if there are not changes to the starting line up, I will be disappointed, I know folks here feel the starters are not that significant and it is more about who plays the most minutes and contributes, I get that, but CT and FR need to come off bench. The time is ripe for change.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The starters are important because it is important for a team to start off on the right foot. All the 3 point misses and a couple of ugly, lackadaisical turnovers set the stage to have to play from behind. I know it’s often said it’s who finishes not who starts but that disregards the importance of getting the best start possible.
Same starting line up now for 30 consecutive halves of basketball except for the game Fatts missed with concussion.
0 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

It is more evident to me that Fatts might be more effective coming off the bench. I am not trying to denigrate his game, but he just may be one of those guys who is better as a spark off the bench. That is where he was at his best last year. Doesn't mean he can't play starter minutes, but I think Coach Cox needs to give this a try.

Thompson for Martin switch is a no brainer.
7 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

PillPushr wrote: 5 years ago It is more evident to me that Fatts might be more effective coming off the bench. I am not trying to denigrate his game, but he just may be one of those guys who is better as a spark off the bench. That is where he was at his best last year. Doesn't mean he can't play starter minutes, but I think Coach Cox needs to give this a try.

Thompson for Martin switch is a no brainer.
Ditto.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

To me the answer to yesterday is the team looked very tired which affects shooting and getting to loose balls . they played two road games to start
conference play after a trip to Hawaii and probably the fewest home games of any A 10 team . They played and shot well at Richmond, so i think
the schedule caught up to them . I think they should spend today and tomorrow just shooting and light scrimage, no hard workouts and see how
that works out for the next couple of games. and to NYGiants fan, yes I did drive up and I just got home a few minutes ago . It was a tough game to endure . On the positive side, Martin had his third double digit game and Silverio proved that he can indeed shoot threes, hitting three in a row.
Now if they can get Fatts and Jeff hot we will have a team.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think people are overreacting a little bit, we played so much better previous three games and have shown we can be much better.

The fact that we have shown that we have been much better proves that we can be much better. It's just a matter of getting an inexperienced team to find some level of consistency.

A lot of what we are seeing is appalling. The shooting literally could not be worse. As we are last in the country... but at least we know we have guys that can make threes, Tate, Martin, Dowtin, and Omar. Fatts and CT will occasionally have decent shooting nights, especially if we are in a rhythm on offense like against Richmond.

I felt like once we saw that our shots weren't falling, we really lost a lot of confidence and it was infectious. We actually may shoot better against a team playing a 2-3 zone as opposed to the man defense. Richmond played a zone and we have guys who can work the middle pretty well and it was easier for us to get in a rhythm because we were forced to move and pass the ball, so there were threes taken in rhythm a lot more. George Mason really rushed us ad we rushed up shots instead of working the ball around more. What we need to do in that situation is forget about the three and stat driving on them with Jeff and Fatts. Both Jeff and Fatts sot horribly, but they were able to drive the lane so easily because GMU overplayed. Our team is more talented and more athletic than most every team in the league. Dowtin is crafty driving to the lane and big and Fatts is faster and quicker than most everyone in the country. So they need to attack the basket when teams play man like that. Cyril can also bully most any post player in the conference as well, and JH can probably do the same if he can stay on the floor. When teams play aggressive on D we have to be aggressive towards the basket, then guys will be open for three once they try and stop the penetration. They will be wide open and we have guys than can make the shots, they just need to actually make them.

They really need to spell Dowtin and Fatts with Silverio, he proved that he belongs on the court by stepping up when no one else but Cyril did. Let him give Jeff and Fatts a break. Show everyone how to make a three.

Also, Harris has had a number of games where he started out making two buckets early and then fouling like crazy. I don't think I have seen a game where he doesn't get called for an illegal screen, where he just slams his body into an opposing guard 40 feet from the basket. It's as head scratching as Cyrils missed layups his freshman year. Can he just not deliberately slam his body into a guard 40 feet rom the basket? Like how could that happen over and over? I like that he's aggressive, but damn. just whiff! Much rather he whiff and make it easier on the guard so he can make it hard on these A-10 teams who have almost nobody as talented down low as him.

I'm still optimistic, there has been progress made, even though it seems to be forgotten. It's just taking a long time. If we still have collapses like this come February then our future will feel rather uncertain.

Keep supporting the team you guys! Give them your love! they need it!

Go Rhody!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......OK, the lack of defensive intensity is becoming more of a concern of mine......it should be there every game, offense and shot making comes and goes.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My message would be if a player is shooting 17% from three after 15 games, that player should never take a three again.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yet he continues to brick 'em by the busloads and Cox lets him keep doing it.

What's that definition of insanity again?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He's made 18 3's in 103 attempts in 15 games. This averages to 1.2 made 3's a game.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

He is a horrible shooter - 25% career from 3

BASTA
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I think a huge problem is that these guys don't seem to either know or be comfortable with their roles.
I think Thompson could be a good player, but Cox has to get him to play to his strengths and to stay in his lane (mainly defense & an "occasional open 3pt shot". He needs to be almost like Stan was last year in a way.
I feel Omar needs to get more playing time...not because he was 3 for 3 today from 3pt land, but just so Fatts and Jeff can get more rest during games. Their both toast towards the end of games. I feel like the amount of minutes those two are playing are what is affecting both of their games right now. Jeff had 15 points but it was a quite, hard fought 15 and Fatts looked like the worst he's ever been. Again this comes down to learning a roll. Omar needs to know what his role is when he goes on the floor, so he can focus on that and improve each time out.
Same goes for Harris as well. These guys need guidance and fixed roles that play to their strengths, so they can build confidence and develop the rest of their game from there. That's just my opinion because right now it doesn't seem like they know what's expected of them. It was just "let's chuck a 3pt shot", meander around on defense, and hope we can win the lazy way, since we're on our home floor.
This. They've pretty much been on the road (easily 15k+ miles between here to Hawaii and back, then to STL/RIC/back to PVD) for two of the last four weeks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That excuse is just that, an excuse. If they were tired after the travel, which I would think they would have been, they still had time to recover....manage the time better.

We'll see if they play better Wednesday.

They sure weren't ready to play yesterday.

And yes, Fatts and CT need to play less anyway, so they won't get as tired.

Play Omar more, give Jeff a little break. He definitely needs one.
0 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

I don’t view Fatts and CT as disappointments at all. Seems the expectations for both were far and away above anything they had produced their prior years. Fatts was off the bench and playing a role; excite the crowd, contribute to the energy, spell the starters and make a few shots. CT was a role player prior to this year and expectations for him are well above his last complete year. The entire cast needs to raise its game and unburden everyone from having to do everything.

Re: GM game, I was disappointed that they didn’t pound the ball down low more. The two plays they ran in the second half that were effectively backdoor cuts - one to Martin leading to a dunk - were wide open the entire game. GM had no specimen to hang with any of our big guys. Meanwhile on defense, our backdoor is wide open every game and teams like VCU, Dayton and Davidson will see that early if we don’t fix the rotation problem.

Keep the faith!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly. If being tired is the excuse then we need to stop playing guys 35+ minutes per game. Makes no sense if they are this tired that it is affecting their shooting like this. More reason to play the freshmen more.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, we really have nothing to lose....give the frosh the PT.....hey other than Jeff they are the best shooters on the team already....sure their D is suspect, but they will get better there....

It's going to be all about the future here....this year the Fatts PG "experiment" is a resounding dud.....

If Cox and staff don't get this straightened out and it continues next season...there won't be any Dance in our future then either.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Sure, I agree Ramster, play the Freshmen as much as possible . Dowtin and Russell shouldn't be playing 35 minutes . maybe Silverio
who btw probably isn't tired showed that he now feels more confident by hitting three 3s in a row . why not give him more minutes .
It can only help him . Is there anyone on here that doesn't see all the signs of tired players in Fatts and Jeff ? You can call it an excuse
but i think it is a fact . Remember only 7 guys played at St. Louis.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeff should be getting about 35 minutes a game he is our best player need to ride or die with him

Fatts maybe should play about 25 minutes a game

Give Omar more time at least 10 minutes a game he deserves it after last game
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

19,20,21 year olds shouldn't be SOOOOO tired that it affects their games this much. Even if there is a little fatigue, at that age, they should be bouncing back quickly.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Players getting too tired at that age.....if they are, calls into question their training methods?

Also there are no classes yet....their time is their own really.

I think it's more a question of body language....they don't seem too excited to be out there, and that's concerning.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Have any of you played college ball and traveled as much in a 3 week period as this team has ? I don't care if you're 16 or if you are
30, travel, especially west to east like coming back from Hawaii and experiencing time loss has a definite effect on everyone. Now add
in the factor that they played two road games without coming home this past week and played only 7 players , I have to cut them some slack.
If they come out tomorrow and look the same and show a lack of energy again, then i will think other factors are the cause. But at this point I think
it is reasonable to consider that weariness played a factor on Sunday . I also think it is reasonable to think that George Mason might have been just
a bit fresher , enough to help them get to some extra loose balls and have stronger legs for shooting. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Had plenty of energy for the layup line circus tho no?

Shoulda saved it for opening tip....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If fatigue was an issue than Cox should have noticed that in the practices and played more than 7 players.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They got back to Kingston before noon on Thursday and had a game Sunday at 5:30. Before Sunday’s game they had played two games in 13 days. They had an NCAA mandatory three days rest after the new year (no practice or S&C).
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus we were the home team, George Mason had to fly up to RI from Virginia.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago They got back to Kingston before noon on Thursday and had a game Sunday at 5:30. Before Sunday’s game they had played two games in 13 days. They had an NCAA mandatory three days rest after the new year (no practice or S&C).
Pretty much this. Conference play is when the grind gets really rough. If they’re feeling it already, they’re in trouble. I tend to think it’s easier to go to “tired” or “playing hurt” when the success just isn’t there. I did find the extended road trip between away games a little unusual. I think it’s usually best to get guys back to campus as soon as possible after a game to get into the regular routine and have access to all your regular fitness and recovery programs/equipment.

I try to be cautious of putting emotions on to others’ actions because you can’t always tell. That being said, there have been some big moments in games where I expect to see the guys on the bench react or the guys on the court pick each other up or get pumped, and it’s seemed a little muted at times. Maybe not, but I feel like I’ve seen more than a few examples.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago

Interesting point of view of the starting 5. Often heard on this board and others that it's not so important as to who starts but who finishes.

For a young team like this it seems important to get off to a good start. Seems we need that boost of confidence.

I've seen several comparisons of Christion Thompson to Stanford Robinson this year, so while Robinson did not start but came in to provide a boost of energy, defense and talent maybe Thompson can go into that role.

I have a hunch we will see Harris not starting tomorrow night - I hope that is not the case. I would so with Langevine, Harris, Martin, Tate and Dowtin.
Thompson, Russell, Silverio off the bench. Go with 3 Freshmen in the starting line up - I hope. Also sends a message to the incoming 2019 Freshmen that they also have a chance to start next year. I am not a big Ed Cooley fan, but I do like that he started 3 freshmen from Day 1 and could see what they could do and couldn't do early on.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Regarding a new lineup, Martin and Tate can’t play the 2G. They don’t have the ballhandling skills for a G. Just watch the struggle Jeff had at SLU when Thompson played the 2G. Jeff’s quotes after the Richmond game that he needed Fatts on the floor to help relieve the ball pressure on him should show you Fatts is needed. The Richmond game was one of Rhody’s best offensive nights. Fatts played 34 minutes and had 19 points. He needs to drive more and take less outside shots.

Martin should definitely start at the SF over Thompson.

I wish there was another experienced G on the roster to reduce Fatts’ minutes. I am in favor of increasing Omar’s minutes and cutting back on Fatts. As long as Omar isn’t a major defensive liability in the game.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I try to be cautious of putting emotions on to others’ actions because you can’t always tell. That being said, there have been some big moments in games where I expect to see the guys on the bench react or the guys on the court pick each other up or get pumped, and it’s seemed a little muted at times. Maybe not, but I feel like I’ve seen more than a few examples.
I've seen this exact same thing multiple times myself and was wondering about it a lot last game.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

luke wrote: 5 years ago Have any of you played college ball and traveled as much in a 3 week period as this team has ? I don't care if you're 16 or if you are
30, travel, especially west to east like coming back from Hawaii and experiencing time loss has a definite effect on everyone. Now add
in the factor that they played two road games without coming home this past week and played only 7 players , I have to cut them some slack.
If they come out tomorrow and look the same and show a lack of energy again, then i will think other factors are the cause. But at this point I think
it is reasonable to consider that weariness played a factor on Sunday . I also think it is reasonable to think that George Mason might have been just
a bit fresher , enough to help them get to some extra loose balls and have stronger legs for shooting. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
Facts.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Perhaps I’ll get flamed for this, but a team full of freshman and a coach with abolsutely no experience is a looking like a recipe for disaster. We would have been better off hiring a re-tread from another program. Someone who had a system in place or an identity. DH turned programs around, that was his thing. He was a defense preacher, he had that fire and passion on the sideline which became his calling card. What’s this guy have? He’s a turd. He’s a dud. He looks like a friend to these guys not a leader. The team goes out there any given game and just runs around like it’s a schoolyard pick up. Chuck up some 3’s - jog back - try it again. Go 0-15 and keep shooting ... I mean what is that game plan? If any of these guys tried this individual play throwing up shots with DH he would have chewed them out right there on the sideline and sat them. I hope this post does not age well but I’m nervous Cox was a bad choice.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Jeff should be getting about 35 minutes a game he is our best player need to ride or die with him

Fatts maybe should play about 25 minutes a game

Give Omar more time at least 10 minutes a game he deserves it after last game
Love it...

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few games ago PC didn’t show up in the first half vs Nova. A few days later Cooley made a public statement about he is going to play the guys that play tough. If you don’t play tough you can graduate. Then he had the same starting lineup vs GTown and tonight vs Seton Hall. Against GTown he did sit Duke, White & Nichols the last 11 minutes of regulation and both OTs. 8 minutes in tonight he has all three of them sitting again. Edwards had been a bench warmer and scored 19 points vs GTown.

Friar fans gave him big credit for his speech. They were crushing him for not fouling when up 3 after GTown game.
So he hasn’t changed his starting linep but has changed his playing time.

It will be interesting to see what Cox does. His message after the Mason game and in interviews today was similar to Cooley.
Cooley was sitting 2 Fr & a Soph and going with Sr, Jr & Soph. It is easier to make that move than sitting a Jr for a Fr.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....BDR, I read with some interest until the junior high name calling came in......bye, bye, not here....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To 83’s point, you never want a guy to coach with desperation. It takes guts to sit a guy who may have more talent in favor of a lesser talent who will play the way you want the guys to. It may mean a loss or two as it works itself out, but sticking with it hopefully makes your program better in the long run. Coaching takes guts.

I was and continue to be fine with the Cox hire. He’s a guy who excelled as an assistant and was perfectly positioned and qualified to get the head job. There were some weird dynamics with the incoming recruits openly campaigning for him that I’ve seen a few people taking shots at. A handful of people hoped he was the secret reason for everything that went well the last few season. I think what we’re actually seeing are some growing pains from almost everyone, but I don’t have any long-term concerns and am pretty optimistic overall. But maybe that’s just the hot toddy I’m drinking talking.
3 x