Week #10 – Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #10 – Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

We begin Week #10 of the college basketball season. The A-10 has no teams in the rankings and there is only a small chance that this absence will change over the rest of season.

Duke assumes the #1 position in the AP poll, but Virginia is the #1 choice in the USA Today coaches poll.

With the loss to Saint Louis, URI loses position in all the key measurements.
Rankings versus previous week:

NET - 111, down 9
BPI - 116, down 6
Sagarin - 95, no change - not updated thru games of Sunday, Jan 6.
Pomeroy - 110, down 6

The cumulative record to date for URI OOC opponents now stands at 96-75, .561, a significant drop of some 53 basis points from the previous week. We are seeing the full effect of the loss to Bucknell and the domino effect of getting Charlotte on the schedule as opposed to TCU. That variable alone would change the OOC record to 105-66, .614 which would be more favorable if URI would ever be in "Bubble Land" in March.

No games in the A-10 tonight and none involving URI OOC opponents:
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #10 – Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

No games in the A-10 tonight and only one game involving URI OOC opponents:

Brown at Canisius, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nice test for St. John's tonite @Nova. And, since we played STJ in a secret scrimmage, if they win, that should boost our secret NET score, right?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Brown won, moving to 11-4. Since starting 0-2 (losing to NJIT and LIU Brooklyn by a combined 5 points), Brown is 11-2 with its only losses coming at URI and at Butler.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Brown won, moving to 11-4. Since starting 0-2 (losing to NJIT and LIU Brooklyn by a combined 5 points), Brown is 11-2 with its only losses coming at URI and at Butler.
Good to see A local Providence school do well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That one, anyways.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In addition to URI at Richmond game, 7 PM, on ESPN+, there are six other conference games on this Wednesday evening

Davidson at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Dayton at George Washington, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Joseph's at St. Bonaventure, 7 PM.

La Salle at VCU , 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Fordham at Duquesne, 8 PM. On ESPN+

UMass at Saint Louis, 9 PM. On CBSSN.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Binghamton at Stony Brook, 7 PM. On ESPN3.

West Virginia at Kansas State, 7 PM. On ESPNU.

Colgate at Bucknell, 7 PM.

Lehigh at Holy Cross, 7:05 PM.

CSU Fullerton at Hawaii, 11:59 PM.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So nice to have conference play in full swing finally!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Bona over Joes at half.....ready, 39-12......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Cancel St. Joe's.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......Bona over Joes at half.....ready, 39-12......
St Joe's is 0-3 in A-10 play with three straight blowout losses, two of them at home. I personally could not be more pleased seeing this happen to Martelli. Have never liked the man and the way he carried himself.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Reviewing results of games involving URI OOC opponents:

Stony Brook trailed the first 25 minutes of game but took over by the midpoint of second half to beat Binghamton, 59-46.

Kansas State came back from a 21 point deficit early in the second half and caugh tWest Virginia in the last 90 seconds to beat the Mountaineers, 71-69.

Bucknell edged Colgate , 84-81.

Lehigh took a close one at Holy Cross, 99-94 OT.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A-10 results:

Davidson held off George Mason, 61-56.

Dayton which trailed by as much as nineteen points in the first half, finally caught up to George Washington in the last ten minutes to beat the Colonials, 72-66.

St. Bonaventure in a romp over Saint Joseph's, 73-47.

Fordham loses at Duquesne, 66-61.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

West Virginia throw us a freakin bone here come on.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

End of UMass vs SLU game. UMass down 1.
50 seconds left Pipkins dribbles the ball around and loses it without getting a shot.
They foul SLU - they make 1. Up 2
UMass gets the ball to Pipkins. He gets fouled driving. Only makes 1 of 2 but ball goes out of bounds to UMass.
Pipkins gets the ball and drives to hoop. Shit gets blocked out of bounds.
Pipkins get ball out of bounds. Gets an open shot and misses.
UMass fouls SLU. Hit both FTs up 3
SLU fouls Pipkins on out of bounds pass (mistake). Pipkins hits FTs down 1.
UMass fouls SLU. Hit both FTs up 3.
UMass takes ball oob with 7 seconds. Pipkins get s good look and misses the 3.

Conclusion is Pipkins is a volume player. He had 5 attempts in the last minute to tie the game or take the lead. He failed all 5 times. Turnover, missed FT, blocked shot, missed shot, missed shot.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

couldn't agree more RF1 , Martelli has become a real A hole . He is a major winer who has been able to influence
the officiating because of his long teure combined with his constant wining . They were way overrated in the A 10 poll.
They have dug themselves a very deep hole which doen't hurt my feelings at all . I live in NJ near Philly so I see way too
much of Phil . and their fans hve become obnoxious lately also. couldn't stand their "You let your whole team down " BS
chant at the A 10Tournament last season when opponents missed FTs.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow amazing to see Joes struggle this bad they aren't even competitive and they were returning lots of players from the team that gave us fits last year

Davidson VCU and STL all win good to see us keep pace

Let's beat GMU this Sunday
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

luke wrote: 5 years ago couldn't agree more RF1 , Martelli has become a real A hole . He is a major winer who has been able to influence
the officiating because of his long teure combined with his constant wining . They were way overrated in the A 10 poll.
They have dug themselves a very deep hole which doen't hurt my feelings at all . I live in NJ near Philly so I see way too
much of Phil . and their fans hve become obnoxious lately also. couldn't stand their "You let your whole team down " BS
chant at the A 10Tournament last season when opponents missed FTs.
It's always funny to me that when another coach complains constantly we say it helps, but we always claimed it hurt us when Dan did it
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Hawaii, saddled with a small deficit at the half, took over game at the 12 minute mark of the second stanza to beat CSU Fullerton, 79-68. Hawaii moves its overall record to 10-5 and 1-0 in the Big West.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago West Virginia throw us a freakin bone here come on.
The WV game means nothing right now. We are not in line to be in the at-large discussion. That went out the window with the SB/Bucknell and Hawaii losses. And based on results, WV is just not that good
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago West Virginia throw us a freakin bone here come on.
The WV game means nothing right now. We are not in line to be in the at-large discussion. That went out the window with the SB/Bucknell and Hawaii losses. And based on results, WV is just not that good
I realize that but for what its worth in their recent losses, they had a 21 point lead vs Kansas St. Were ahead with 2 min to go vs #11 Texas Tech and lost a nail biter @ Texas, so they're certainly good enough.
1 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No games in the A-10 on Thursday evening.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Drexel at Charleston, 7 PM.

Bryant at Mt. St. Mary's, 7 PM.

Charlotte at Florida International, 7 PM.

Middle Tennessee at Southern Miss, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

Other:

SMU at UConn, 7 PM. On CBSSN.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Bryant wins. That already ties their conference win total from last season. 2-1 in the NEC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Drexel, a 13 point underdog playing on the road at College of Charleston, pulls the big upset 79-78 giving Charleston its 2nd CAA loss to date
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCLA....a 'keep an eye on' story...
Called it a night when Oregon had a 13 point lead with about 3 and a half minutes to go...woke up to this headline this morning:

UCLA jolts UO with epic last-minute rally, OT win. Nice!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago UCLA....a 'keep an eye on' story...
Called it a night when Oregon had a 13 point lead with about 3 and a half minutes to go...woke up to this headline this morning:

UCLA was down 9 points with a minute to go. Then down 2 with seconds to go, purposefully missed the FT, got the rebound, scored, got fouled and had FT for the win but missed and went to OT where they won at Oregon.

Murry Bartow, interim HC whose dad Gene Bartow was a former HC for UCLA, has now won all 3 games since Alford’s departure. UCLA now 3-0 in PAC 10.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

UCLA was down 9 points with a minute to go. Then down 2 with seconds to go, purposefully missed the FT, got the rebound, scored, got fouled and had FT for the win but missed and went to OT where they won at Oregon.

Murry Bartow, interim HC whose dad Gene Bartow was a former HC for UCLA, has now won all 3 games since Alford’s departure. UCLA now 3-0 in PAC 10.
Yeah, I read all about it this morning. One of the main reasons I'm bummed that I missed it is because Walton must have been going berserk. When i went to bed, he said something about the score indicating that it was pretty much over and Pasch said there's almost 4 minutes left... Walton must have been awesome those last few minutes. ETA: If you like that kind of thing ;)
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The two C-USA schools on the Rams' OOC schedule suffered losses last night. Charlotte fell to Florida International, 69-66, absorbing its sixth straight loss and Middle Tennessee lost its 12th consecutive game, this time to Southern Miss, 77-70.

URI's once promising OOC schedule continues to deteriorate and there is now a good possibility URI by season's end will have faced three opponents with NET ratings above 300!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Yeah, I read all about it this morning. One of the main reasons I'm bummed that I missed it is because Walton must have been going berserk. When i went to bed, he said something about the score indicating that it was pretty much over and Pasch said there's almost 4 minutes left... Walton must have been awesome those last few minutes. ETA: If you like that kind of thing ;)
Google for some of the game summary videos

You can hear Walton’s excitement in some of them. You know he was going crazy being a UCLA alum.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Feel bad for this kid. Saw a video the other day which tried to build excitement with him "shooting around" at practice, but he was still in a pretty significant boot.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Oregon choked like I haven’t seen in a long time.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago The two C-USA schools on the Rams' OOC schedule suffered losses last night. Charlotte fell to Florida International, 69-66, absorbing its sixth straight loss and Middle Tennessee lost its 12th consecutive game, this time to Southern Miss, 77-70.

URI's once promising OOC schedule continues to deteriorate and there is now a good possibility URI by season's end will have faced three opponents with NET ratings above 300!
I know people have fun looking at this with teams we have played, but what is the difference at this point? We have zero chance at an at large bid which is the only factor that matters with non conference opponents. The big goal is to get Tate and Martin to continue to make strides, get Harris on track with confidence and Silverio to get an opportunity to hit some shoots so he can be a factor off the bench for 10-minutes next year.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
I know people have fun looking at this with teams we have played, but what is the difference at this point? We have zero chance at an at large bid which is the only factor that matters with non conference opponents.
I generally agree with your point, but if I were to play the role of the contrarian, you could argue that while the scheduling for this season might not ultimately matter for postseason aspirations, you still might want to see how the schedule stacks up because part of the responsibility of the coaching staff is to be able to put together a competitive schedule. And while many people view a competitive schedule as what type of firepower there is on the top, possibly an even bigger component is being able to identify quality opponents from the mid-major/low-major pool who have flown under the radar. If you are a year too late, you get Middle Tennessee as a 300+ team. On the opposite side, you could argue that URI nailed the COC home/home and even the road game at Holy Cross was nearly a Q2 game until recently.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I really dont understand how St Joe's is so bad right now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago I really dont understand how St Joe's is so bad right now.
There are a lot of rumors about dissension on the team with players tuning out the coaching staff. Last two games had players disciplined for being late to team events. One of them was their best player Charlie Brown. Other rumors about future transfers. Something is up there. They have gotten beaten by an average of 22 points in the last three A-10 conference games, none of which were against the top tier:

vs GMU 60-85
vs GW 56-70
@ SBU 47-73
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago I really dont understand how St Joe's is so bad right now.
There are a lot of rumors about dissension on the team with players tuning out the coaching staff. Last two games had players disciplined for being late to team events. One of them was their best player Charlie Brown. Other rumors about future transfers. Something is up there. They have gotten beaten by an average of 22 points in the last three A-10 conference games, none of which were against the top tier:

vs GMU 60-85
vs GW 56-70
@ SBU 47-73

It's really strange.
There would have to be something like that going on for them to get beat that badly.
They looked as good as anybody in the A-10 early in the year. If they keep playing this bad they won't beat anybody in this league.

Hope they dont have it together by the time we play them :)
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm kind of with RamStock....our hope of the NCAA's is the growth of our freshmen, the continued improvement of Fatt's shot selection, the health of our players, getting a double bye somehow, and winning the conference tournament.

I've relegated the A10 to a one-bid conference this year so the OOC opponents don't mean much to me anymore....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let’s just get better and more consistent each and every game and we’ll get there !

Time to step up JH and Omario

A clip a couple weeks back had Jeff saying omario was the best shooter he ever seen / is this true ??.. I haven’t seen it
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

“One of the best” I believe was his quote
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

JH will likely take some time to reach the level of improvement seen by Tate and Martin due to his injury issues.

He might be bothered by them all season.....with the games coming closer together, doesn't give time to heal completely.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Google for some of the game summary videos

You can hear Walton’s excitement in some of them. You know he was going crazy being a UCLA alum.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp
As continued proof that I'm living better than I deserve...FS1 has a replay of the game on tonite and I tune in at about the 5 minute mark. Remarkable finish.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Based on what I have seen in the league this year if we take care of business at home we should be in the top 4 at season's end and a team to be reckoned with. If we stay healthy we should be favored in all the home games.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
I know people have fun looking at this with teams we have played, but what is the difference at this point? We have zero chance at an at large bid which is the only factor that matters with non conference opponents.
I generally agree with your point, but if I were to play the role of the contrarian, you could argue that while the scheduling for this season might not ultimately matter for postseason aspirations, you still might want to see how the schedule stacks up because part of the responsibility of the coaching staff is to be able to put together a competitive schedule. And while many people view a competitive schedule as what type of firepower there is on the top, possibly an even bigger component is being able to identify quality opponents from the mid-major/low-major pool who have flown under the radar. If you are a year too late, you get Middle Tennessee as a 300+ team. On the opposite side, you could argue that URI nailed the COC home/home and even the road game at Holy Cross was nearly a Q2 game until recently.
Agree. Further, I think as a fan, you want to see how good the teams are that you've beat because it tells you more about your own team.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Georgetown at the buzzer for a 3 to tie the game and send it to overtime. Don't agree with not fouling up by 3 with 3.8 on the clock.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Double OT in DC!
Great game!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Georgetown at the buzzer for a 3 to tie the game and send it to overtime. Don't agree with not fouling up by 3 with 3.8 on the clock.
Georgetown ties on an unguarded trey again. Cooley should rethink not fouling in those situations. Entertaining game tho.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Heartbreaker for PC losing in double OT. 0-3 in BE.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I always did love Georgetown
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I can’t say I’m sad about it but PC Should have put this away early. Bad defense at the end of the 2nd overtime especially.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago I can’t say I’m sad about it but PC Should have put this away early. Bad defense at the end of the 2nd overtime especially.

There sure was a lot of really great offense too.

McClung is the real deal. So is Nikinjo. They have two great freshman guards.
0 x