Brookside Apartments

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Brookside Apartments

Unread post by RF1 »

Construction on the new Brookside Apartments across from the Ryan Center has really come along. It appears that the entire shell of the two building complex is now up. Was struck by the size, mass, and length of it when walking to the game yesterday from the north lot. The 500 bed complex will feature apartment suites of six and four single-occupancy bedrooms. Each suite will be furnished and has a full kitchen and two bathrooms. It is set to open in Fall 2019 which is also the target date for the new engineering facility.

Work underway on 500-bed Brookside Apartments complex
https://today.uri.edu/news/work-underwa ... s-complex/

Screenshot_2018-12-31 uri brookside dorm progress photo camera - Google Search(1).png

A nice side feature of this project will be cleanup of this area and addition of paths and bridges along the brook which will provide better access to the athletics area from Garrahy and Wiley. The South County Bike Path spur will actually go along it and end at Flagg Road.

Screenshot_2018-12-19 Microsoft PowerPoint - Parking at URI Spring 18 Action AR_NEW Final [Compatibility Mode] - Brookside-[...].png
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Brookside Apartments

Unread post by steviep123 »

Nice!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fantastic project. Very proud of the University for its recent strides in development and restoration of the on-site ecology as well as the architecture.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RF1, where did you find that plan rendering?
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago RF1, where did you find that plan rendering?
Which image - 1, 2, or 3 from top to bottom?

1 https://www.agostiniconstruction.com/po ... apartments

2 https://today.uri.edu/news/work-underwa ... s-complex/

3 https://web.uri.edu/parking/files/Brook ... tments.pdf
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
https://web.uri.edu/parking/files/Brook ... tments.pdf
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Looks great -- I still feel bad for any student living in the complex. I lived in Hopkins 2003-2004 and it was so dumpy then. Can only imagine what it looks like (and smells like?) 15 years later.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Looks great -- I still feel bad for any student living in the complex. I lived in Hopkins 2003-2004 and it was so dumpy then. Can only imagine what it looks like (and smells like?) 15 years later.
Ha, I was there 2002-03, and saw Heathman as a wonderful and desirable upgrade for my sophomore year.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Looks great -- I still feel bad for any student living in the complex. I lived in Hopkins 2003-2004 and it was so dumpy then. Can only imagine what it looks like (and smells like?) 15 years later.
Ha, I was there 2002-03, and saw Heathman as a wonderful and desirable upgrade for my sophomore year.
That was my freshman year and I lived in The Butt. I will never forget being woken up to the smell of nasty onions (that smelled like BO) they were cooking in the dining hall every morning to make hashbrowns. Also, still have a memory of getting french toast one morning that tasted like dish soap. Nothing was better than Hope or ROJO's wok and/or pasta at the time. Seems like the food has majorly upgraded since then. Sophomore year I spent all my points getting smoothies at the Ram's Den.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You haven't lived until you've spent a year on the 4th floor of Coddington like I did back in 99-00. So true about the food back then to, I rarely if ever ate at the dining halls other than Hope. I basically lived on Hope chicken wings.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
That was my freshman year and I lived in The Butt. I will never forget being woken up to the smell of nasty onions (that smelled like BO) they were cooking in the dining hall every morning to make hashbrowns. Also, still have a memory of getting french toast one morning that tasted like dish soap. Nothing was better than Hope or ROJO's wok and/or pasta at the time. Seems like the food has majorly upgraded since then. Sophomore year I spent all my points getting smoothies at the Ram's Den.
Such "glorious" memories! I actually liked the food at Rojo's and the Butt - the former more than the latter - but I tend to have a very high tolerance level for gross food. Pastabilities was the highlight of those two establishments. I can't imagine living at Butterfield though, since you are just bathing in that scent all day, essentially. I dated a girl in Worcester once who lived next to a Chinese restaurant, and that was a similarly disgusting experience, smell-wise.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Such "glorious" memories! I actually liked the food at Rojo's and the Butt - the former more than the latter - but I tend to have a very high tolerance level for gross food. Pastabilities was the highlight of those two establishments. I can't imagine living at Butterfield though, since you are just bathing in that scent all day, essentially. I dated a girl in Worcester once who lived next to a Chinese restaurant, and that was a similarly disgusting experience, smell-wise.
The smell was ALWAYS there. I hated having lunch in The Butt before going to class freshman year because I didn't want to reek sitting in a lecture. From what I remember they had decent mac & cheese there, but a sicko that lived down the hall from me would douce her mac & cheese in ketchup (meaning she put so much ketchup in and mixed it all up so much that it was a pinkish/orange shade). I don't think I've mentally recovered from that yet. By the time I moved down to Scarborough I mostly relied on Bagelz or DD's for food before class. RIP Bagelz!!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I lived on the fourth floor of Burnside 98-99, no foul smells I can remember other than the steam pits around campus, but our room was about 85 degrees every night, so my roommate and I had to keep the windows open and the fan on constantly. So energy efficient!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just drove by this a couple minutes ago. The progress made on this project is incredible..........
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

The smell was ALWAYS there. I hated having lunch in The Butt before going to class freshman year because I didn't want to reek sitting in a lecture. From what I remember they had decent mac & cheese there, but a sicko that lived down the hall from me would douce her mac & cheese in ketchup (meaning she put so much ketchup in and mixed it all up so much that it was a pinkish/orange shade). I don't think I've mentally recovered from that yet. By the time I moved down to Scarborough I mostly relied on Bagelz or DD's for food before class. RIP Bagelz!!
but a sicko that lived down the hall from me would douce her mac & cheese in ketchup (meaning she put so much ketchup in and mixed it all up so much that it was a pinkish/orange shade).

I just threw up in my mouth.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

It was rare that I went to Butterfield...I think in my time (late 80s) they had a deli so if I went there it was a sandwich. Hope was my main one and lived on Hope burgers. If I went to Rojo's I had cereal.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And now it won't open until spring of 2020 due to an architectural mistake and weather issues:

http://rhodycigar.com/2019/02/21/univer ... -students/
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not good. Glad the university required errors and omissions insurance.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

It's unfortunate, but this stuff happens all the time. I'll be great to see it finished close to next Fall.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not getting a dorm on line for the start of the year is a big hit. 500 beds is minimally lost for the entire first semester. Many students that may have wanted to live there will now have to find other arrangements and most of them will likely have to commit to full year options. That means it may be a tough prospect trying to fill the 500 beds of Brookside for the 2nd semester when it is finally ready for occupancy.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Not getting a dorm on line for the start of the year is a big hit. 500 beds is minimally lost for the entire first semester. Many students that may have wanted to live there will now have to find other arrangements and most of them will likely have to commit to full year options. That means it may be a tough prospect trying to fill the 500 beds of Brookside for the 2nd semester when it is finally ready for occupancy.
Exactly, and not only that, leases for off campus housing have already been signed for the most part adding to the difficulty.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI celebrates opening of state-of-the-art residence hall

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... dence-hall
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You can see the ribbon cutting ceremony here:

https://myvideo.uri.edu/Mediasite/Play/ ... 10e58ce21d

Technically supposed to start at 11, but there's video up now
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RA James was channeling his inner JV just now.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

haha...I spent 2 years living at the end of the 2nd floor in Peck. Was a dump but still somehow endearing. Nasty 30 year old carpet, cold water only, the 1st floor "common" room had half the lights out.

But nothing tops the old Hope for food, and the little hole in the wall convenience store it had. I remember my roommate and I would always talk to the people working there and made friends with them. Which led to getting extra chicken patties and fries every time...and being able to go there at 9 when they closed and get given all the leftover food they were going to throw out. So many times we left there with 15+ burgers or chicken patties.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago You can see the ribbon cutting ceremony here:

https://myvideo.uri.edu/Mediasite/Play/ ... 10e58ce21d

Technically supposed to start at 11, but there's video up now
We have also had Dr Dooley and others "Ribbon Cut" for the Engineering Building and for the Bike Path in the Track and Field Building. That's 3 Ribbon Cuttings already this School Year!!

Have I missed any others?

URI Thinking and Acting Big.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh man Hope...I am willing to bet that at least 25% of my body consisted of Hope chicken patties and wings my freshman year. I lived in Coddington, which as far as I can tell hasn't changed a bit since 2000 when I lived there.

EDIT: I just scrolled up and realized I said basically this exact same thing a year ago. Oops! :lol:
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Oh man Hope...I am willing to bet that at least 25% of my body consisted of Hope chicken patties and wings my freshman year. I lived in Coddington, which as far as I can tell hasn't changed a bit since 2000 when I lived there.

EDIT: I just scrolled up and realized I said basically this exact same thing a year ago. Oops! :lol:
Haha! It’s all good, Adam! I’m sure I’ve done it too. When I got fries there I HAD to get honey mustard to dip them in.

Brookside looks gorgeous. On the SK Town Facebook Group a lot of residents are hoping that the new 500 bed dorm brings students back to campus and frees up their neighborhoods from rentals. It’s a nice idea, but a lot of seasonal rentals are popping up more in SK since the town doesn’t have the same “orange sticker” ordinance Narragansett has, but now SK is trying something where you can’t have gatherings of more than 5 people. Oof!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I walked along the new bike path extension from W Alumni to Flagg along the brook behind the new dorm after the St Joe's game. There was also a path off it that went to Wiley and Garrahy. Will be nice when all the landscaping takes shape in the spring. The O'Neill South County Bike Path spur now starts at Flagg and follows the brook crossing W Alumni and then continuing on behind the East Meade Stands and out by Keaney to the new Route 138 Crosswalk and eventually continues to the main path.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago I walked along the new bike path extension from W Alumni to Fall along the brook behind the new dorm after the St Joe's game. There was also a path off it that went to Wiley and Garrahy. Will be nice when all the landscaping takes shape in the spring. The O'Neill South County Bike Path spur now starts at Flagg and follows the brook crossing W Alumni and then continuing on behind the East Meade Stands and out by Keaney to the new Route 138 Crosswalk and eventually continues to the main path.
The bike path...it's truly an awesome thing.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I really don't like that they put the path literally right behind the East stands at Meade. It really limits any possible expansion plans to turn Meade into a legitimate CAA level stadium and will they shut down that section of path on game days?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago I really don't like that they put the path literally right behind the East stands at Meade. It really limits any possible expansion plans to turn Meade into a legitimate CAA level stadium and will they shut down that section of path on game days?
I would think they will have to shut it down game days. Most bikers would probably stay away anyways as there would be far too many people around on foot getting in the way.

As for stadium expansion, i cannot imagine it would be that big a deal to redirect a short stretch of the bike path if needed.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago I really don't like that they put the path literally right behind the East stands at Meade. It really limits any possible expansion plans to turn Meade into a legitimate CAA level stadium and will they shut down that section of path on game days?
I would think they will have to shut it down game days. Most bikers would probably stay away anyways as there were be far too many people around.

As for stadium expansion, i cannot imagine it would be that big a deal to redirect a short stretch of the bike path if needed.
I would hope not, but if it's not a big deal to redirect it why not just orient it right in the first place?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I would think they will have to shut it down game days. Most bikers would probably stay away anyways as there were be far too many people around.

I would hope not, but if it's not a big deal to redirect it why not just orient it right in the first place?
Because it was the cheapest and quickest to build route.

I myself do a lot of biking and I am not all that worked up about it. URI probably has about 5-6 football games a year at Meade. With lights now in place, some of them will be at night. That makes about 3-4 times a year that this section would be closed when the bike path was open.

As for future stadium plans, I am not holding my breath for that. There has been talk for 2-3 decades. Nothing however has really significantly changed for the east stands and there is no timetable for anything.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Right now, it is right, unless you see the stadium footprint expanding within the next 5 years. And if you do...great, we need dreamers like that.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I finally did the new URI South County Bike Path extension on Sunday. Given what I encountered, I have now changed my opinion on its route going through the fenced in Meade Stadium area. I parked near Flagg Road behind the new Brookside Dorm and Dining Services Distribution Center getting onto the trail at its beginning. I got as far West Alumni Ave at the northern end of the Meade grounds. The gates at either end of the bike trail through Meade were locked forcing me to detour around it. I don't know if this is just for the virus, summer , or what. I had expected that this section would only be closed on the 5-6 home football games each year. What good is this if you cannot even use it during such a dead time with nearly no one on campus?

Was surprised by all the turns in this new extension. Had not realized it went along the 3nd base line of Beck crossing Rte 138 right by the New Fernwood Cemetery which it then skirts the borders of. Goes through a lot of open flat farmland before it meets the main trail not all that far from Ministerial Road behind Kingston's Camp. By my estimate, this new segment was about 2 miles in length.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I finally did the new URI South County Bike Path extension on Sunday. Given what I encountered, I have now changed my opinion on its route going through the fenced in Meade Stadium area. I parked near Flagg Road behind the new Brookside Dorm and Dining Services Distribution Center getting onto the trail at its beginning. I got as far West Alumni Ave at the northern end of the Meade grounds. The gates at either end of the bike trail through Meade were locked forcing me to detour around it. I don't know if this is just for the virus, summer , or what. I had expected that this section would only be closed on the 5-6 home football games each year. What good is this if you cannot even use it during such a dead time with nearly no one on campus?

Was surprised by all the turns in this new extension. Had not realized it went along the 3nd base line of Beck crossing Rte 138 right by the New Fernwood Cemetery which it then skirts the borders of. Goes through a lot of open flat farmland before it meets the main trail not all that far from Ministerial Road behind Kingston's Camp. By my estimate, this new segment was about 2 miles in length.
I’ve never seen the gates open. Makes little sense to me.
26E62335-81F5-4BC8-86E9-667F5138DF7F.jpeg
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Clearly, there's a miscommunication between the university grounds department and the state. Technically, there would have to be a fence extended along the bike path to close off the football facilities from the public while the stadium/field is closed, but still allow bikers/walkers through. A new fence would also reduce the size of the walk-able space within Meade Stadium where food vendors set up. Interesting situation.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My guess is that this is a short term situation. I can’t imagine this would be the final design.
Maybe there is a plan to modify/replace the stands whereby the fence would be relocated leaving the bike path unrestricted 100% of the time.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Clearly, there's a miscommunication between the university grounds department and the state. Technically, there would have to be a fence extended along the bike path to close off the football facilities from the public while the stadium/field is closed, but still allow bikers/walkers through. A new fence would also reduce the size of the walk-able space within Meade Stadium where food vendors set up. Interesting situation. Cluster.
FIFY
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So I've heard a rumor of a new dorm going up in the Brookside area that would essentially be its twin. Here's a Good 5 Cent Cigar article that talks about the housing crunch this year:

https://rhodycigar.com/2022/09/22/uri-p ... ng-crisis/

We had a nearly 800 student waiting list for housing, so even another 500 person bed facility would only dent the demand we're currently seeing.

Frankie Minor, director of Housing and Residential Life "said that URI has tentative plans for new dorms and buildings in the long term to alleviate stress and overcrowding."
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

New dorms are always a cash-positive play for the University. Do it!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

“There were multiple forms of alternative housing offered to students on the waitlist,” Minor said. “Including the option to board at sorority and fraternity houses looking to rent available beds. Some rooms were available at the [International Engineering Program house] and tenant houses, as well as reserved rooms available for students at the Holiday Inn located in South Kingston.”
Wow! Can you imagine living in Ye Olde Holiday Inn and driving in from the Tower every day??
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
“There were multiple forms of alternative housing offered to students on the waitlist,” Minor said. “Including the option to board at sorority and fraternity houses looking to rent available beds. Some rooms were available at the [International Engineering Program house] and tenant houses, as well as reserved rooms available for students at the Holiday Inn located in South Kingston.”
Wow! Can you imagine living in Ye Olde Holiday Inn and driving in from the Tower every day??
Can you imagine if we had our own hotel in addition to more dorm rooms?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Curious where the new dorm would be located. Maybe they demo some of those sophomore dorms on upper college?
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Been a couple years since I've seen campus, but - Isn't there sufficient land to put a hotel almost anywhere? Whether on Plains Road, or the wooded area of Flagg. At least according to Google Maps, walking from the base of West Alumni Avenue to Old North Road is only 1.2 miles, but a campus hotel could also have its own (small) shuttle service.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Curious where the new dorm would be located. Maybe they demo some of those sophomore dorms on upper college?
I would imagine where the parking lot is now next to Brookside. The only two lots that would work on Upper College Road would be the empty lot on the corner of Upper College and Flagg on side of the Fine Arts Center and the University Club area, but I'd imagine they'd want to keep any new dorm in generally the same area as other dorms
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago So I've heard a rumor of a new dorm going up in the Brookside area that would essentially be its twin. Here's a Good 5 Cent Cigar article that talks about the housing crunch this year:

We had a nearly 800 student waiting list for housing, so even another 500 person bed facility would only dent the demand we're currently seeing.

Frankie Minor, director of Housing and Residential Life "said that URI has tentative plans for new dorms and buildings in the long term to alleviate stress and overcrowding."
An article in today (or yesterdays) Providence Journal about the Narragansett 3 person limit housing situation. As someone who lived down the line in Narragansett, I take offense (not really) to the current URI's student senate president characterization of that time. I get she is using a well reasoned debate argument to strengthen her current argument, but not sure impugning the URI graduates of the 90's is anyway helpful here. It is the last paragraph in the article.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER01

Looks like it is behind a paywall, I thought they might let people read one or two articles free but not the case. Based on that, I will give you the last two paragraphs.

Grace Kiernan, a senior and president of URI’s Student Senate, just wants everyone to get along. Her rent has gone up about $75 a month this fall even though she is living with more roommates.

“The URI of 2022 is not the URI of the 1990s,” she said. “It was like Animal House back then. Now you have kids coming here to really study. We have a renowned engineering program. Our pharmacy program is one of the best in the Northeast. I chose URI because it offers a great education.”
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago So I've heard a rumor of a new dorm going up in the Brookside area that would essentially be its twin. Here's a Good 5 Cent Cigar article that talks about the housing crunch this year:

An article in today (or yesterdays) Providence Journal about the Narragansett 3 person limit housing situation. As someone who lived down the line in Narragansett, I take offense (not really) to the current URI's student senate president characterization of that time. I get she is using a well reasoned debate argument to strengthen her current argument, but not sure impugning the URI graduates of the 90's is anyway helpful here. It is the last paragraph in the article.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER01

Looks like it is behind a paywall, I thought they might let people read one or two articles free but not the case. Based on that, I will give you the last two paragraphs.

Grace Kiernan, a senior and president of URI’s Student Senate, just wants everyone to get along. Her rent has gone up about $75 a month this fall even though she is living with more roommates.

“The URI of 2022 is not the URI of the 1990s,” she said. “It was like Animal House back then. Now you have kids coming here to really study. We have a renowned engineering program. Our pharmacy program is one of the best in the Northeast. I chose URI because it offers a great education.”
2 people on my street stopped renting to URI students because of the yearly damage.
0 x