Cyril Langevine

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Cyril Langevine

Unread post by ramster »

7 Games into the 2018-2019 Season Statistics for Cyril

Leads the Nation in Offensive Rebounding with 5.14 rpg.
Ranked 6th in the Nation in Total Rebounds with 11.3 rpg

Playing Time Minutes per Game:
- 13.2 mpg - Freshman,
- 18.1 mpg - Sophomore
- 32.0 mpg - Junior

Personal Fouls per Game:
- 2.5 fpg - Freshman
- 2.9 fpg - Sophomore
- 2.7 fpg - Junior

Free Throw Percentage
- 49.1% - Freshman
- 50.6% - Sophomore
- 69.4% - Junior

Points per Game
- 3.2 ppg - Freshman
- 6.1 ppg - Sophomore
- 15.7 ppg - Junior
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Cyril Langevine

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dude is a beast.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

yep Ramster looks like we hit big on this one....

Nice player.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He has always been a great rebounder. With his scoring and FT shooting improving, the only faults remaining with his game are the number of fouls and turnovers. Even with those flaws, his positives far outweigh the negatives. We are fortunate to have him on the floor.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

He's much improved. He still needs to pass out to the open man sometimes when he's being double and triple teamed, but he's been great!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If he starts hitting 10-12 footers consistently. And becomes a better passer out of double teams look out.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Turnovers really are almost all related to him insisting on putting the ball on the floor, which I also wish he would give up on but with how good he’s been doing everything else I can live with it if I have to.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago He has always been a great rebounder. With his scoring and FT shooting improving, the only faults remaining with his game are the number of fouls and turnovers. Even with those flaws, his positives far outweigh the negatives. We are fortunate to have him on the floor.
2.7 fouls per game for an inside player going 32 minutes per game doesn't feel bad at all.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think when Harris and Cyril are on the floor without foul trouble, that we can beat anyone in the A10.
2 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

certified monster.

15.7 ppg
11.3 rpg

I dont see any big men in the A10 that can stand in his way this season
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree we got a certifiable beast on our hands

Keep grinding CL
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I think when Harris and Cyril are on the floor without foul trouble, that we can beat anyone in the A10.
And there's still next season for all this, too!
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago certified monster.

15.7 ppg
11.3 rpg

I dont see any big men in the A10 that can stand in his way this season
Looking forward to the 2 match ups with Josh Cunningham from Dayton, should be 2 wars
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

He certainly is playing great but I really would like to see his turnovers down to 2-21/2 a game. As great as he played against the Cross he had 5 turnovers which clearly is too many. Passing out to an open guy when doubled would be a bonus.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Turnovers really are almost all related to him insisting on putting the ball on the floor, which I also wish he would give up on but with how good he’s been doing everything else I can live with it if I have to.
100% of this...
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

He's been really inefficient despite his large point and rebound numbers. Stop turning the ball over and we're looking at a star. He and Jeff are keeping this program afloat right now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Putting the ball of the floor is the hardest habit to break.

He not only puts the ball on the floor, but he puts his head down while getting double teamed and loses it off his foot travels or draws a foul.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Add to that the occasional getting stuffed by the underside of the backboard, net net if he cleans all of that up, gets down to 2-3 TOs a game at most, and he’ll be an All League player with his production. I’m curious to see how he performs against WVU, stiff test for him and Harris against 2 legit bigs.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Right now he's an all league player. If he does all the things people are hoping he cleans up he's in the running for All American.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

dont underestimate the shooting woes increasing his TO. If teams dont have to respect the outside shot, then there's more guards cheating down into the paint taking swipes at Cyril.

get back to decent shooting and his TO will drop
1 x
---
---
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nice to see all of the positive posts about Cyril . So what happened to all of the "Fools Gold " talk we were hearing
about a week ago, and how he can't go up against better big men ? Guess he proved that wrong against PC . Good
for him . As i had said all along , he has shown significant improvement with his offensive moves down low that will
translate against anyone.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I used the word 'fools gold' so I will reply here. Over usage of Cyril will become fools gold. About 10 shots a game or less is optimal. His efficiency numbers are not great, and I believe the announcer in our last game said he leads the country in TOs, so there is ample data suggesting that repeatedly going to him will eventually yield diminishing returns. That's all I meant by that. He has been a life saver thus far, and his 15 and 11 a night are huge numbers.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He been doing a great job staying out of foul trouble so far

If he on the floor for about 37 minutes per game expect about 18 and 10 from him
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I used the word 'fools gold' so I will reply here. Over usage of Cyril will become fools gold. About 10 shots a game or less is optimal. His efficiency numbers are not great, and I believe the announcer in our last game said he leads the country in TOs, so there is ample data suggesting that repeatedly going to him will eventually yield diminishing returns. That's all I meant by that. He has been a life saver thus far, and his 15 and 11 a night are huge numbers.
I think it is fair to point out it won’t be fruitful over the long haul to run offense thru Cyril without diminishing how good he’s been. He can be like an A10 version of Ben Wallace for the mid-aughts Pistons, and if he gets you 10-14 points off of dunks on dishes and offensive rebounds and the occasional transition finish that would be massive for us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think we are overly feeding the ball in to Cyril, we did a better job of feeding the ball to Martin. Maybe with Dowtin taking more control of the offense Cyril will get more passes inside
Many of Cyril's points are coming off of offensive rebounds, sometimes from his own shots that he misses, grabs the rebound and puts back. Some of his points have even come from air shots by our guards that he just happens to be in the right place for, grabs and puts in.
Quite a number of his Turnovers are from offensive fouls he commits. Offensive fouls count as both fouls (or course) and as a turnover so it's like a double whammy.
Cyril is like a bull in a china shop which causes some of his offensive fouls but this way of playing is also a major reason why he is so effective and leading the country in offensive rebounding and being #6 in total rebounding.
Cyril is also the only player in the A10 averaging a double - double
He is making a case for 1st team all A10 if he keeps this up (and no reason why he shouldn't) and could position himself as A10 player of the year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Cyril also doesn't take smack on the court. He was talking a good game at Holy Cross.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago I don't think we are overly feeding the ball in to Cyril, we did a better job of feeding the ball to Martin. Maybe with Dowtin taking more control of the offense Cyril will get more passes inside
Many of Cyril's points are coming off of offensive rebounds, sometimes from his own shots that he misses, grabs the rebound and puts back. Some of his points have even come from air shots by our guards that he just happens to be in the right place for, grabs and puts in.
Quite a number of his Turnovers are from offensive fouls he commits. Offensive fouls count as both fouls (or course) and as a turnover so it's like a double whammy.
Cyril is like a bull in a china shop which causes some of his offensive fouls but this way of playing is also a major reason why he is so effective and leading the country in offensive rebounding and being #6 in total rebounding.
Cyril is also the only player in the A10 averaging a double - double
He is making a case for 1st team all A10 if he keeps this up (and no reason why he shouldn't) and could position himself as A10 player of the year.
He has to learn that guys are going to flop when he bumps them in high post and draw the call. He can get away with the same bump down low and the refs won’t call it. Many of his offensive fouls the last few games have been weak bumps, but again that will be called every time on a big in the high post.

He has really improved his shooting touch which is great to see
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with that last point, he has stepped out and taken at least 2 twelve to fifteen footers in last couple games and both have been all net, with a nice form and touch. If he starts hitting that consistently he will become very hard to guard.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I agree with that last point, he has stepped out and taken at least 2 twelve to fifteen footers in last couple games and both have been all net, with a nice form and touch. If he starts hitting that consistently he will become very hard to guard.
......I think that his 12-15 footer, when not forced, when he is squared up to hoop for a catch and shoot, and is open should be taken......that might open up others flashing to hoop, does he have that vision and can make the pass as defenders come out on him......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
1Rhodeisland
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 1Rhodeisland »

So let me throw this out there to see if anyone agrees with me:

What's up with the treatment of Ryan Preston? Hes a great basketball talent and makes plays. He could provide some senior leadership this team desperately needs. 3 minutes?? That block to win the game should of earned him a starting role. Him and langevine are grown men, would make a great three guard offense with Thomson running the 3. Harris seems a little thin and could probably use another season in the weight room before you see his potential.

Also, I havnt had a chance to watch a whole game yet but have listened to the broadcast on WRIU. Am I hearing it right that Fatts is playing the PG (1) and Dowtin is playing the SG (2)? Dowtin is a proto type point guard, very cerebral, and fatts is a prototype shooting guard. Explosive and he should be playing off the ball.

Anyway, I still think this team can win 10 games in the A10. Langevine is in a league of his own. Hes only going to get better as the year goes on.

Peace out✌
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Preston still is lacking on defense.....I doubt being a senior that he's going to get much better at it.

But he does have a role on offense and rebounding....should he be playing more? I think so, but how much more depends on the situation.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hard to agree with the basis for the Preston post:
“He is a great basketball talent and makes plays”. What is that comment based on? It is just not true.

“That block to win the game should of earned him a starting role”. Really! First, no one play earns someone a starting role. Second, if you listen to Cox response regarding that play he stated that Preston had a defensive lapse on that play and left his man. He made a great hustle play to block the shot of the man he was suppose to be covering. Last point, it isn’t “should of”. It is should’ve.

Not sure what you are saying about the 3 guard line up and Preston. Thompson already plays the three.
Harris isn’t skinny.
Hard to take your evaluation from listening on the radio.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hard to agree with the basis for the Preston post:
“He is a great basketball talent and makes plays”. What is that comment based on? It is just not true.

“That block to win the game should of earned him a starting role”. Really! First, no one play earns someone a starting role. Second, if you listen to Cox response regarding that play he stated that Preston had a defensive lapse on that play and left his man. He made a great hustle play to block the shot of the man he was suppose to be covering. Last point, it isn’t “should of”. It is should’ve.

Not sure what you are saying about the 3 guard line up and Preston. Thompson already plays the three.
Harris isn’t skinny.
Hard to take your evaluation from listening on the radio.
Did we just come across Ryan's burner account here?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn't say Ryan is a great basketball talent but he is a pretty damn good athlete and I would say deserves at least 10-15 minutes a game out there as a senior
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

First off, I love Preston.
That being said, there’s no way he should be starting. He’s a great energy guy and provides a nice boost off the bench but there really isn’t anyone I’d curtail their minutes to get him in. I do think he’ll play more during the A10 season as most front courts are thin. He’ll provide some nice depth in the 4-5 spot. He’s more of a hustle guy and our problem is scoring. Need to add scoring. I repeat, need to score more and score more efficiently.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Great first post 1RhodeIsland......come back often please.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hope 1RhodeIsland isn’t a teenager. If he/she is, I apologize. Stay with it.

Reef, I have to disagree that Preston deserves 10-15 minutes/game because he is a Sr (who hasn’t played any significant D1 minutes) and is a good athlete. Tell us who is going to lose the minutes. Harris is averaging 17 mins/game.

Sandor, why is he going to get more minutes in A10 season if “most front courts are thin”?
The expectation is that the Fr - Harris, Martin & Tate will get increased minutes as the season goes on and they adjust.

Cox and Staff looked at “everything” for a week after the PC debacle. I think they made one change in the Holy Cross game and they are going to stick with it. They shortened the rotation. Omar and Preston are going to play less. They are going to give huge minutes to Jeff, Cyril & Fatts and increase the minutes for Martin, Harris and Tate. I think Thompson will stay about the same. Seven man rotation. Omar and Preston will get 3-5 minutes unless there is foul trouble or an injury.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well I would like to see Harris get about 25 minutes a game if he can stay out of foul trouble

Still think Preston can contribute if he can get at least 10 minutes a game. I guess the coaching staff feels different
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here are the avg mins per game and the mins in the Holy Cross game:
Jeff 35 mins/avg. HC 38
Fatts 33 mins/avg. HC 39
Cyril 32 mins/avg. HC 37
Thompson 29/avg. HC 28
Harris 17 mins/avg. HC 19 (injured)
Martin 21 mins/avg. HC 18
Tate 12 mins/avg. HC 15
Preston 10 mins/avg. HC 3
Omar 9 mins/avg. HC 3

If Harris went to 25 and Preston went to 10, Cyril’s and Tate’s minutes are going to need to come down.
Logically the top 3 Fr are going to see their minutes increase as the year goes on.
Many teams start out with a 9 man rotation and trim it down based on performance.
It is clear to me that Cox and staff decided to trim the rotation to 7 (quality minutes) and lean even heavier on the top 3.
I am sure there will be some tweeks from game to game impacted by the opponent’s line up, foul trouble and injuries.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Based on those season avgs I woukd like to see

Jeff. 38
Cyril. 37
Fatts. 30
CT. 25
JH. 25
Tyrese 22
Tate. 12
Preston. 10
Omar. 3

So basically Fatts playing a little less and JH and Tyrese playing a bit more
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How bout having any projected playing time decided by how a particular guy is performing in the game. If CT continues to struggle I would like to see Tyrese get more minutes and vice versa.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Based on those season avgs I woukd like to see

Jeff. 38
Cyril. 37
Fatts. 30
CT. 25
JH. 25
Tyrese 22
Tate. 12
Preston. 10
Omar. 3

So basically Fatts playing a little less and JH and Tyrese playing a bit more
Unfortunately Harris and Mattin don’t play the same position as Fatts :)
Not that it matters but you have more than 200 minutes (5 players x 40 minutes).
You took time away from Fatts, Omar and Thompson. Then gave a lot of it to Harris.

I think Cox knows what he is doing. Ryan Preston isn’t the key to Rhody turning around their offensive problems.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago How bout having any projected playing time decided by how a particular guy is performing in the game. If CT continues to struggle I would like to see Tyrese get more minutes and vice versa.
I am sure there is some of that. Cox and staff also see them practice every day and extensively study game tapes. He also knows when they make a mistake during the game that we might not see.

This is a very experienced staff.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago How bout having any projected playing time decided by how a particular guy is performing in the game. If CT continues to struggle I would like to see Tyrese get more minutes and vice versa.

CT is struggling shooting threes, but hes not struggling with the rest of his game. He needs to keep getting minutes. He makes so many big plays on the defensive end.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

After today's game, are we finally done with the retarded "He won't be able to push around Player X like against bad teams" posts?

Cyril is a physical beast and is going to feast on the A10
2 x
---
---
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As the coach said Cyril is a MAN. I think the best part of his stats today is only 1 turnover.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The A10 is gonna love Cyril this year. Dude is a beast.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago As the coach said Cyril is a MAN. I think the best part of his stats today is only 1 turnover

.......and I think he made one of those 12-15 ft jumpers.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He did hit another 12-15 footer. In a big spot, and looked great doing it. 1 turnover. He’s getting better every game.
2 x