12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by section(105) »

.......turning the page to Providence......wonder how the bright lights of the big stage will impact the young players.......hopefully Coach will have them able with stand any extended Friar scoring runs......we can’t suffer from any multiple empty possessions.......gotta keep the crowd out of the game early......we need an unlikely source to step up and make plays of both ends......need to see some zone offense that gets some easy looks at the hoop......make free throws above the current rate......play our signature a Rhode Island defense without foul trouble.......out rebound them......Fatts will have to make more shots than what we have seen......check these boxes and we will be right there.....update, Team Rankings gives us a 27% to win.....but with these in-state rival games, anything can happen.....
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/01 Providence College

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Has to be a clean game and they have to be able to make more shots. Its obivious but it is what it is.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would open the PC game with a set play to get the ball to Jermaine. Having him get off quickly, and parlay off yesterday's good performance could be huge. We will need someone besides Jeff, Cyril or Fatts to be scoring and making an impact and he is the best alternative for that. Already saw a body language change in him yesterday, let's go back to him and get him off early.
7 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

One of the most exciting times of the year for sure, we have knocked off a LOT of demons since the last time we played at the DUMP. Along with the obvious personnel losses from last year we are coming in as big underdogs, which is one of the best ways to play CBB.

Few things in life I love more than a PC loss and URI win, and only one day a year is it possible for just one stress-filled game to allow for both.

The best thing about this rivalry is knowing anything is possible. Fatts had his coming out party last year, no reason to think he won't do the same again.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

this one has the feeling of a 50-60pt rock fight.

neither team has shown much consistency, and both have had their fair share of ineptitude and brick laying.

will come down to who enforces their will better. Do we contain Diallo and Reeves, or do they contain Cyril and Jermaine
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone have any recommendations for a bar in Boston that would make this game a priority? Would love to watch this game in an intense atmosphere whether it be a Rhody bar or PC.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PC starts 3 freshman. Our freshman players' reactions aren't the only storyline.

Winnable game. Come out with a good strategy that just needs to be executed. Narrowing the game to roles for these kids will go a long way.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Sox1 wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone have any recommendations for a bar in Boston that would make this game a priority? Would love to watch this game in an intense atmosphere whether it be a Rhody bar or PC.

i received an email from URI alumni in Boston. Harry's Bar and Grill in Brighton. 1439 Comm Ave. starting at 4:30. There was an RSVP link so they could get an attendees count, but i doubt they would not welcome you. I'll be at the Dunk.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I would hope this game is on an actual cable network and not some wonky internet site. Last year's TV coverage spoiled me! :lol:
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Let's just keep this here for posterity's sake...

12 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago I would hope this game is on an actual cable network and not some wonky internet site. Last year's TV coverage spoiled me! :lol:
Its on FS1, a real channel for you dinosaurs
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago Let's just keep this here for posterity's sake...

Lol. Some fool on Twitter a couple of years ago was trying to tell me Cooley was never an assistant coach at URI. I sent him the proof and he deleted the tweet. He couldn’t even own up to being wrong.
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I would open the PC game with a set play to get the ball to Jermaine. Having him get off quickly, and parlay off yesterday's good performance could be huge. We will need someone besides Jeff, Cyril or Fatts to be scoring and making an impact and he is the best alternative for that. Already saw a body language change in him yesterday, let's go back to him and get him off early.
Can I thank you for using the word "parlay"? It is probably one of my most favorite words in the English language.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......The young Santa Cooley...... this photo must have been after he was sneaking into the Civic Center...... :o
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Sox1 wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone have any recommendations for a bar in Boston that would make this game a priority? Would love to watch this game in an intense atmosphere whether it be a Rhody bar or PC.
I do not have a direct answer for you, but I would recommend calling the Alumni Association. They usually set up informal watch parties for this game at bars in Boston, NYC, etc.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
spookydog wrote: 5 years ago Let's just keep this here for posterity's sake...
Lol. Some fool on Twitter a couple of years ago was trying to tell me Cooley was never an assistant coach at URI. I sent him the proof and he deleted the tweet. He couldn’t even own up to being wrong.
Ahh one of my favorites. That long sleeve striped polo just screams mid 1990s.
0 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Hey Sox1, I'm the Alumni Chapter President for Boston's Chapter. We're meeting at Harry's in Brighton at 4:30 to watch the game. Should have 10-15 or so fans and some walk ins. Hope to see you there! All Boston KBers are welcome and Harry's is a great spot.

-Chris
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

Cooley was one of several that were on Al Skinner's URI staff that went on to be college head coaches - the others being Tim O'Shea and Bill Coen.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is a nice thing to rewatch from time to time.

7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago This is a nice thing to rewatch from time to time.

What a crazy atmosphere that was. One of my favorites from the RC.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's also time for my annual reminder that no matter what happens on Saturday, just rest easy knowing at least we aren't associated with this...

7 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago This is a nice thing to rewatch from time to time.

that reminds me of when we used to make three pointers. :roll:
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago It's also time for my annual reminder that no matter what happens on Saturday, just rest easy knowing at least we aren't associated with this...
A PC alum I know talked about this like it was the coolest thing ever. Probably one of the most cringeworthy music videos on YouTube next to William Hung.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago It's also time for my annual reminder that no matter what happens on Saturday, just rest easy knowing at least we aren't associated with this...

The guy in the suit in the background at the 2:30 mark couldn't get out of there fast enough. He is all of us.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It’s probably my favorite video of all time
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

So much diversity at PC too..... :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Honestly, when that was finished editing who the hell watched it and was like NAILED IT. Dear god that is so cringe worthy and horrific.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, when that was finished editing who the hell watched it and was like NAILED IT. Dear god that is so cringe worthy and horrific.
Guess that's what $200k in tuition at a religious instution will get you.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, when that was finished editing who the hell watched it and was like NAILED IT. Dear god that is so cringe worthy and horrific.
yup, this is what happens when a person is raised sheltered from good music/comedy...then goes to a glorified high school for college
3 x
---
---
Donuts90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Donuts90 »

1, your story is patently false. EVERYONE associated with the school immediately owned that the video was beyond horrible. Even owned it the following year.

2, $200k will get you the ability to spell “institution” correctly
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Attachments
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Donuts90 wrote: 5 years ago
1, your story is patently false. EVERYONE associated with the school immediately owned that the video was beyond horrible. Even owned it the following year.

idk, this seems like a lot of caring for a program that is "just another game" and considered not worth the attention.....

I gotta know, does it hurt knowing that in the last 2 seasons we won more NCAA Tournament games than you have in the last 20 years?
3 x
---
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Donuts90 wrote: 5 years ago

Pretty sure that's a clear typo there, buckaroo. I can't be perfect all the time. Also, I have the uncanny feeling your posts remind me of someone who used to post on this board....hmm
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
yup, this is what happens when a person is raised sheltered from good music/comedy...then goes to a glorified high school for college

Wonder if they have school dances with cake and punch where the priests walk around saying "save room for the Holy Ghost!", with XM Kidz Bop as the approved soundtrack. BTW, I am a Catholic high school survivor. No way could I have done that for another four years in college.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Donuts90 wrote: 5 years ago 1, your story is patently false. EVERYONE associated with the school immediately owned that the video was beyond horrible. Even owned it the following year.
They owned it so "immediately" that they shot it, edited it, watched the final product and still released it? So which one were you in the video?
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i got a pic from a crier fan i know from "pcathletics" that got me fired up today

EFF THEM

GO RHODY

somehow i hope we get our sh*t together abd start making some hoops this saturday

beggin !
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A trip back through the years:

1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Wait and wasn't it recently that Cooley said we should "alternate" home games at the Dunk? I remember when I was a kid that's how it was, but this was obviously way before the Ryan Center was built.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Athletics or in general.
0 x
Donuts90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Donuts90 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Wait and wasn't it recently that Cooley said we should "alternate" home games at the Dunk? I remember when I was a kid that's how it was, but this was obviously way before the Ryan Center was built.
The game should always be a home and home. Period.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I would say, in general......for me it goes pretty deep, when my daughter-in-Law worked there it was a family tension convention from time to time.....
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Oh man I love Cooley coming out saying they dont like each other, finally not down playing the rivalry.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......I would say, in general......for me it goes pretty deep, when my daughter-in-Law worked there in was a family tension convention from time to time.....
I have two cousins who are Fryah alums, but I don't include them in my disdain for the school and their fans.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Athletics or in general.
It’s especially brutal between the football and baseball programs.
9 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bring the hate Rhody faithful
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm not a fan of starting a game thread without splash first post. Doesn't take much time to replicate what TP has done. Just copy prior game first page and update for current game.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Sly Williams should be revered in history books. Of course the people at the State House "gotta suppawt da Fryahz" (why I can't help typing in this thread in a RI accent... I don't know)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It was laugh out loud funny when Cooley said it wasn’t a rivalry a couple years back.

Top notch troll comment by him.
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I'm not a fan of starting a game thread without splash first post. Doesn't take much time to replicate what TP has done. Just copy prior game first page and update for current game.
I’m not going get mad about it because, truth be told, I haven’t had the time to be on top of it this year. I will try to do better going forward. It would be cool if people would follow the format (and you did a great job with it blueram), but I’m not going to delete other people’s posts. I do think it’s a better look to have the game info up top, not to mention it serves a practical purpose.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago It was laugh out loud funny when Cooley said it wasn’t a rivalry a couple years back.

Top notch troll comment by him.
Thank you for the reminder:

Kevin McNamara aka PC Fan Boy: "PC coach Ed Cooley didn’t flinch. In fact, he took the opportunity to fan the flames of what he said “isn’t a rivalry” game against the Rhode Island Rams. He also said that while the game should be played every season, it should always come at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center as it was for many years before the Ryan Center was built."

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /151209800
0 x