11/13 | at Charleston Cougars | 7PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

11/13 | at Charleston Cougars | 7PM

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Rhode Island at College of Charleston
TD Arena, Charleston, SC
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
7:00PM

Media

TV:

Stream: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/charleston/#live

Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:

Vegas: +2.5

Opponent

Record:
2-0, 0-0 in the CAA
Home: 1-0
Last Season: 26-8, 14-4 in the CAA (NIT)

Rankings:
RPI: 57
BPI: 132
KenPom: 111

Leaders:
Points - Grant Riller, 27.5 (6’3” Jr.)
Rebounds - Jarrell Brantley, 11.5 (6’7” Sr.)
Assists - Grant Riller, 2.5 (6’3” Jr.)
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

11/13 Charleston

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Espn has Charleston favored to win on Tuesday. 68% probability. That surprise anyone else. They any good?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/13 Charleston

Unread post by theblueram »

Their bigs are slow from what I saw yesterday. Definitely beatable.
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Espn has Charleston favored to win on Tuesday. 68% probability. That surprise anyone else. They any good?
I am pretty surprised, CoC is a good team that returned a lot of scoring I believe and will probably win their conference. I am not too surprised they're favored but I am surprised it is as high as 68%, would expect something between 51-55%.
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

Now that I check their schedule/stats and narrowly defeating Presbyterian and WCU, I am surprised they're favored.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Charleston won the CAA regular season and tournament last year going 26-8 and finishing with an RPI of #58. They played #4 seed Auburn tough in the NCAA 1st round falling 62-58. Rarely have lost at home in the last few seasons going an undefeated 13-0 LY. URI got by them at the Ryan Center last December 68-62.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Any word on an available stream?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Riller is the real deal. At worst, this is a 50/50 game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Based on what I saw against WCU, Jeff and Fatts needs to drive hard to the hoop. Their bigs are slow and foul prone.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

RamIt! wrote: 5 years ago Any word on an available stream?
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/charleston/#live
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RamIt! wrote: 5 years ago Any word on an available stream?
Yep, they have a free stream: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/char ... M_ID=14800

They use Stretch, which is a decent streaming platform (used by a lot of area D3 schools). It incorporates stats/scoreboard into the laptop viewing interface (there is also an option to just go fullscreen without that stuff). The video itself is pretty basic but definitely passable for something free. Here's what it looks like:

To watch on TV you'll need to connect an HDMI cable with your computer, or have a Roku or Chromecast
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Better than nothing!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm sure they will play better against us than those other teams.

We beat them last year, we are a good program now, they'll be up for this one.

Cyril, fatts, Jeff and Chris need to show the younglings how to beat good teams on the road.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This will be a very difficult game. Charleston is picked 1 or 2 in the CAA. They are big, skilled and very hard to beat at home. I would guess the Frosh will struggle in their first road game. Gonna take a big effort from our Big 3 to pull this out. For context it would prob be the best win of the year so far from any A10 team. Slightly better than St Joes beating ODU or Duquesne beating William & Mary.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree this will be a tough game I will guess we will be about a 3 point dog ???
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Who the hell are these teams they played? They used a late run to beat Presbyterian. Then won by the skin of their teeth vs Western Carolina?
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are more talented but much younger.....if we play well we should win.

Will be interesting to see how we do, in what will likely be a close game on the road.

Dowtin and Fatts should have the ball in crunch time. That's a good thing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Who the hell are these teams they played? They used a late run to beat Presbyterian. Then won by the skin of their teeth vs Western Carolina?
Judging them by results of first 2 games is unwise. Their guard Riller is a very good player, averaging 27ppg on 55% shooting thus far. Brantley is a big ox inside, averaging a double double at 16 and 11. He will be a very tough matchup for Cyril, and could get our guys in foul trouble. This is a very difficult game. They have one of the longest winning streaks at home in the country. Last year we beat this same roster basically by 4, at home, and with our stacked senior laden lineup.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/13 | at Charleston | 7PM

Unread post by RF1 »

Charleston Cougars Fan Forum Link:
http://cofcfans.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=1
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

As a player or coach, I wouldn't take COC lightly, but I'm feeling confident.
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We are more talented but much younger.....if we play well we should win.
Are we much younger, though? They have relied on four guys to play 30+ minutes and score about 80% of their points: a senior, a junior, a soph and a frosh. We will similarly be relying on two juniors and a sophomore, plus a veteran senior and a bunch of freshman.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Who the hell are these teams they played? They used a late run to beat Presbyterian. Then won by the skin of their teeth vs Western Carolina?
They are probably saying the same thing about our 1 st opponent Bryant. We blew them out but there aren't many teams worse in the country.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

looking forward to watch this new team for the 1st time this year

i understand that stats aren't there yet - but i hope i see real potential in jermaine harris

let's go rhody

hopefully a confidence/momentum booster in a W in this game heading into harvard

Go Rhody.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Based on Fatts instagram it looks like the team is flying charter down to Charleston. That's a nice development if true for all road games.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Now that's big-time type of benefits this program needed.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Based on Fatts instagram it looks like the team is flying charter down to Charleston. That's a nice development if true for all road games.
Treat a team like champions, expect a team to play like champions. Go Rhody!!!!
2 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Any Rhody fans meeting in Charleston? Driving down from NC tonight.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Based on Fatts instagram it looks like the team is flying charter down to Charleston. That's a nice development if true for all road games.
I don’t believe they will for ALL, but assuming places like Charleston that you can’t get a direct flight from PVD for. Especially Dayton which is in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I don’t believe they will for ALL, but assuming places like Charleston that you can’t get a direct flight from PVD for. Especially Dayton which is in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
Granting that Ohio is, itself, in the middle of nowhere, Dayton isn’t far from Cincinnati and also has its own airport, so there are actually two semi-major airports available to fly in and out of when we play at Dayton. Compare that to other teams coming to play UMass, for example.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We open as 2.5 pt dogs on the road.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago Any Rhody fans meeting in Charleston? Driving down from NC tonight.
I’m not making the trip, but I hope some fans are. Great little city.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago Any Rhody fans meeting in Charleston? Driving down from NC tonight.
Great city, have stayed there back and forth on trips to Florida before. I'm glad to see the damage from Florence a few months ago was fairly minimal compared to further north along the coast. Charleston is sort of a much larger cosmopolitan version of Newport with southern hospitality.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
Great city, have stayed there back and forth on trips to Florida before. I'm glad to see the damage from Florence a few months ago was fairly minimal compared to further north along the coast. Charleston is sort of a much larger cosmopolitan version of Newport with southern hospitality.
Doesn't 'southern hospitality' make it 'nothing at all like Newport'?
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago

Doesn't 'southern hospitality' make it 'nothing at all like Newport'?
May not have come out clear, but I was saying Newport with the added benefit of southern hospitality.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago We open as 2.5 pt dogs on the road.
Yes I figured a 3 point dog I was close
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, they’ve recently had charters for the longer distance road games, like Davidson and Saint Louis. There was a specific number allowed written into the coach’s contract. Not sure what Cox’s has. I imagine it stayed the same or, hopefully, increased. They’ve come pretty far from those days of back to back bus trips to Philly. Being good has its perks.

I’m excited for the game tomorrow- first road game against a really solid opponent.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

2.5 dog sounds right

wouldn't pay much attention re espn, no Hurley and no EC I'm certain they think Rhody is toast.

let's start showing up big tomorrow.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago 2.5 dog sounds right

wouldn't pay much attention re espn, no Hurley and no EC I'm certain they think Rhody is toast.

let's start showing up big tomorrow.
KenPom has a win at 40%. I’m not seeing a 32% on ESPN, but those seem close. It may be faulty or incomplete math, but it does seem number driven, not emotional.

KenPom now also has the Harvard game as a win, which I think is new. That will likely depend quite a bit on Harvard’s injury situation.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Charleston is the first real test for the Rams - better team, from a better conference and a road game. Charleston is tough on their home court, was unbeaten at home last year and is currently riding a 17 game home win streak, third best in the nation. Last year these guys played us really close and had a lead with 3 + minutes left before some heroics from Jared Terrell put this one in the win column.

In some respects, Charleston mirrors the Rams - some returning veterans and a host of newcomers. While Joe Chealey is gone, Nick Harris and Grant Riller, who put up a combined 39 points in Ryan game, return. Add to this experience, Jarrell Brantley, who missed last year's game due to a knee injury. This year's Charleston team has more depth than last year. The Rams may have a slight edge on height, but Charleston has beefier bigs, but less quickness and how this all plays out on rebounding will be interesting. But keep in mind that Charleston badly outrebounded Presbyterian, but that didn't stop PC from keeping that game close as Charleston was only able to get separation in the last 4-5 minutes of contest. Charleston in their two contests so far and in the game at Ryan showed good ball control. The home court give C. of C the edge, but a win here for the Rams will be huge get for URI on building confidence and experience.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Yeah, they’ve recently had charters for the longer distance road games, like Davidson and Saint Louis. There was a specific number allowed written into the coach’s contract. Not sure what Cox’s has. I imagine it stayed the same or, hopefully, increased. They’ve come pretty far from those days of back to back bus trips to Philly. Being good has its perks.

I’m excited for the game tomorrow- first road game against a really solid opponent.

Good thing there isn’t an away game against the Bonnie’s this year. I remember the debacle 4-5ish years ago where the team had to take a charter bus back overnight to RI because there was some plane issues combined with some snow issues. Olean sounds like the worst place to travel to in NY.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Good thing there isn’t an away game against the Bonnie’s this year. I remember the debacle 4-5ish years ago where the team had to take a charter bus back overnight to RI because there was some plane issues combined with some snow issues. Olean sounds like the worst place to travel to in NY.
Got there in the morning, played in the afternoon.. and won!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Charleston is the first real test for the Rams - better team, from a better conference and a road game. Charleston is tough on their home court, was unbeaten at home last year and is currently riding a 17 game home win streak, third best in the nation. Last year these guys played us really close and had a lead with 3 + minutes left before some heroics from Jared Terrell put this one in the win column.

In some respects, Charleston mirrors the Rams - some returning veterans and a host of newcomers. While Joe Chealey is gone, Nick Harris and Grant Riller, who put up a combined 39 points in Ryan game, return. Add to this experience, Jarrell Brantley, who missed last year's game due to a knee injury. This year's Charleston team has more depth than last year. The Rams may have a slight edge on height, but Charleston has beefier bigs, but less quickness and how this all plays out on rebounding will be interesting. But keep in mind that Charleston badly outrebounded Presbyterian, but that didn't stop PC from keeping that game close as Charleston was only able to get separation in the last 4-5 minutes of contest. Charleston in their two contests so far and in the game at Ryan showed good ball control. The home court give C. of C the edge, but a win here for the Rams will be huge get for URI on building confidence and experience.

Just watched a bit of the game fro last year and I was also seeing a lot of late game heroics out of Cyril as well.
Rebounds blocks and free throws from Cyril really did the trick at the end for us.

Cant wait to see if he can make up for the slow start against Bryant and make some stuff happen for us tomorrow.

I think Cyril is the key for this one. If he can do something similar to last year I like our chances. You know Dowtin is going to play well, CT and Fatts will bring the energy, just hope they it their threes.
If the freshman can go to St johns and compete with them they should be up for this one too.

Get this one and 5-0 heading into PC is looking very possible.

This is our first test, I'm excited!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This game should also be on ESPN+, correct?
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago This game should also be on ESPN+, correct?
Correct. TP can you add that to your original post?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah I figured it would be, but was waiting for official confirmation from gorhody, but as of this afternoon it wasn’t showing it as an ESPN+ game (whereas many later games did have that designation). I’ll update it on your say-so, but not sure why it isn’t listed.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Granting that Ohio is, itself, in the middle of nowhere, Dayton isn’t far from Cincinnati and also has its own airport, so there are actually two semi-major airports available to fly in and out of when we play at Dayton. Compare that to other teams coming to play UMass, for example.
I've flown into Cincy before, the airport is actually in Hebron, KY which is still well over an hour from Dayton. Much better trip to fly directly to Dayton's airport if they get a charter there.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The URI-Charleston game is not listed on the ESPN BB score page as being on ESPN+. It doesn't show on the ESPN+ page either. Tonight's Bonnies-Niagara game was also not on ESPN+, but all the other three Monday night A-10 games were and I watched parts of all three. Friday's game versus Harvard is listed on the ESPN+ page. Tomorrow I guess you have to watch game through Charleston website and the Stretch website which has a link on the gorhody site.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've flown into Cincy before, the airport is actually in Hebron, KY which is still well over an hour from Dayton. Much better trip to fly directly to Dayton's airport if they get a charter there.
Yup. I’ve done it many times. My mother is from Cincinnati, so we’ve flown into both over the course of my life, depending on flight times, prices, etc. My only point was, as far flung as some schools are, Dayton being accessible (to one degree or another) from two airports isn’t the worst of the worst.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago The URI-Charleston game is not listed on the ESPN BB score page as being on ESPN+. It doesn't show on the ESPN+ page either. Tonight's Bonnies-Niagara game was also not on ESPN+, but all the other three Monday night A-10 games were and I watched parts of all three. Friday's game versus Harvard is listed on the ESPN+ page. Tomorrow I guess you have to watch game through Charleston website and the Stretch website which has a link on the gorhody site.
I stand corrected. I have URI identified under my favorites on my ESPN app and the URI game shows up for me but it doesn’t list it as on ESPN+. It doesn’t show up on the app’s list of Tues games either.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So....no, then?
0 x