2019 football schedule

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2019 football schedule

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

8/31 at Ohio
9/7 Delaware
9/21 at New Hampshire
9/28 Stony Brook
10/5 at Brown 12:30
10/12 at Virginia Tech
10/19 at Albany
10/26 Elon
11/2 Merrimack
11/9 at William & Mary
11/16 at Maine
11/23 James Madison

Still have room for one game, an out of conference FCS one I'm presuming with the Harvard series ending. I'd love to see Bryant in that slot. Future football schedules actually has us playing them 9/7, but obviously that's superseded by the Delaware game.

Ohio is a bit underwhelming for our FBS game, and I don't like that it's Saturday instead of Thursday, but as long as the check doesn't bounce I guess it does what it should.

https://caasports.com/news/2018/10/31/c ... -2019.aspx

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/rhode-island/
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: 2019 football schedule

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Bryant=good idea.
Or Yale? or Holy Cross/ CCSU?

Lots of good matchups nearby.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

I would like to see us play Holy Cross or CCSU. Coached by Chesney and Rossomondo. Chesney will turn HC around and Rossomondo has already taken CCSU to the playoffs. Both would have been better choices than Fleming & Son. Just my humble opinion.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I love the Bryant idea. Always have. Lots of good home games to attend next season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The last out of conference game will be played Saturday, 10/12 with the opponent to be announced
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

James Madison will have a new coach next year, Mike Houston is leaving for ECU.

In three seasons at James Madison he went 37-6 (22-2) with a national championship, a national championship appearance and another playoff appearance.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He was right to put a hold on accepting the Charlotte job. ECU is a much better gig.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Curt Cignetti, who was head coach at Elon for two seasons, is taking over the head coaching position at James Madison. They also interviewed ex-Maine head coach Joe Harasymiak
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Elon promoted defensive coordinator Tony Trisciani to head coach
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Maine’s HC left to take an assistant position at Minnesota.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 5 years ago Maine’s HC left to take an assistant position at Minnesota.
Would have thought he could do better. Must have really wanted out now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

No Villanova this year?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Good schedule. Looking forward to seeing further improvement with the program.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Koch just tweeted that URI has added a 2nd fbs buy game at Virginia Tech. The team opens at Ohio Univ. Not a fan of two fbs games that will put the team down a near automatic 0- 2. Seems to be just a move for cash with little regard for players and record. The cynic in me says this would not have been done if URI had not had a winning season ly.

Still trying to understand where all the additional revenues and savings from men's basketball is going. I cannot identify a demonstrable use for it.

0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Wow.
This helps recruiting certainly.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Love this addition. I know Rhody will get their doors blown off but who cares? I’m always more interested when URI plays a name D1 opponent instead of someone like a Central Connecticut State.

The money doesn’t hurt either.

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have no issue with seeing Va Tech on URI's schedule. I would just rather Rhody played a single FBS game each year instead of pimping itself out. You can pretty much write off a 2nd winning season right now when basically conceding the outcome of two games. Little chance a program with URI's pedigree is going to go 6-3 versus FCS teams playing just four at home. Don't expect any momentum to be built off of this past season. Perhaps one winning season every 17 years is good enough.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Money money money....the URI program needs money.....this could pay off what's needed for the lights and field turf.

As for the team's record, it will largely depend on who if anybody the staff can bring in to play high level QB.

4 home games out of 11 is bad, though.

Is this Fleming's last year of his contract?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

4 homers is weak, but...gimme those FBS games anytime they can get 'em. One of these days they'll win one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I have no issue with seeing Va Tech on URI's schedule. I would just rather Rhody played a single FBS game each year instead of pimping itself out. You can pretty much write off a 2nd winning season right now when basically conceding the outcome of two games. Little chance a program with URI's pedigree is going to go 6-3 versus FCS teams playing just four at home. Don't expect any momentum to be built off of this past season.
I disagree with you that URI "pimped itself out".

Actually, I give Thor and Fleming a lot of credit for getting this FBS addition to the schedule. Opportunity knocked and they listened and acted.
Ohio University does not pay the money a P5 program like Virginia Tech will pay. My guess is Ohio University is $200k and Virginia Tech is $700k. Possibly Ohio is $300 and VaTech is $600 but I'd bet on the higher number, maybe even more.

Virginia Tech and East Carolina have had a major, major feud triggered by, of all things, Hurricane Florence. The AD at ECU cancelled the trip this fall to Blacksburg on Tuesday, but the AD at VaTech wanted to wait until Wednesday to make the decision on whether to cancel or not. Things got really ugly and would up with Va Tech cancelling 3 future scheduled games AT ECU and the entire series folded up.

This is why the slot opened up for this fall on Virginia Tech's schedule. Normally P5 teams have their OOC Football games scheduled years in advance so good for URI to jump at the opportunity when offered for October 12 this fall.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago 4 homers is weak
Less home games and more away games seem to be the trend for programs at URI - football and men's basketball included.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URI is not competing for a FCS national championship next year. So get that money as far as I’m concerned. If we could pick up another $2M to play no home games, I’d consider it. We need the money to make up ground with the other teams in our conference so we can compete annually.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

True Point is right in a way-this is massive cash.
There is a little over $100K (due) in Meade renovation (coming in slowly).
It is back-stopped . (to my knowledge on both). Maybe the $$ can be used in some constructive way?
East stand down payment and need new entrance way to Meade? Rambone has good point -maybe Coach Flem. has a stud QB coming in ala Lawson?
Probably does. Would love to see a magician to compete with Prior and Grant. STC is right-the program has to be taken to highest level. Harvard has 2nd or 3rd winning % in FCS since 2010 or 11?? URI was not ready for them (now look) . Fleming would not put these games on schedule without good reason. He knows how important wins are. As far as less home games,people on this board bitch and moan about attendance-how many have FB or hoops season tix? Mini-plans?
Be an interesting survey.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Too bad the deal didn't include a home and home for the basketball teams to play each other.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I have heard that new east stands are planned in about 3-4 years.

Of course I had heard 3-4 years ago that lights and field turf were on the way, much sooner than has actually happened.

The entire Meade area should be raised to avoid flooding in the future, but that will likely never happen.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

drainage is being addressed with synthetic turf (am told)?
Thats why cost is higher?
Isn't drainage less of an issue with synthetic?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't believe this is on Bill Koch as his tweets on this news had no errors. Someone else at the Providence Journal however probably should not be writing the bylines for the Sports Dept. See the blurb about the new add to the schedule:
Screenshot_2019-01-08 Providence Journal.png
Acronyms that are typically used for Virginia Tech are either VT or VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute). VCU is the acronym for URI's fellow A-10 member Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA which does not have a football program.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I saw this-poor.
VCU does not even have a team
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago URI is not competing for a FCS national championship next year. So get that money as far as I’m concerned. If we could pick up another $2M to play no home games, I’d consider it. We need the money to make up ground with the other teams in our conference so we can compete annually.
Is this an actual, serious thought you have or is this a no way it happens so I'll say something outlandish thought?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Mostly the latter since I don’t believe there is a way to offload conference home games for money.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ok, fair enough. Ideally this would happen in an even year when you have Brown at home, so you don't have only four home games. Other than that, as a one off I think it's good to play two FBS team, and there's just no way to say no to Virginia Tech in this case. It does make for a tempting trip in ways that Ohio does not.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I don't believe this is on Bill Koch as his tweets on this news had no errors. Someone else at the Providence Journal however probably should not be writing the bylines for the Sports Dept. See the blurb about the new add to the schedule:

Screenshot_2019-01-08 Providence Journal.png

Acronyms that are typically used for Virginia Tech are either VT or VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute). VCU is the acronym for URI's fellow A-10 member Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA which does not have a football program.
Proofreading isn't a thing for them anymore I guess. "RI State U"
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Ok, fair enough. Ideally this would happen in an even year when you have Brown at home, so you don't have only four home games. Other than that, as a one off I think it's good to play two FBS team, and there's just no way to say no to Virginia Tech in this case. It does make for a tempting trip in ways that Ohio does not.
I think that the assumption that having another FBS Game on the schedule and that this lessens the chances that URI can make the FCS Playoffs is not correct.

8/31 at Ohio
9/7 Delaware
9/21 at New Hampshire

9/28 Stony Brook
10/5 at Brown
10/12 at Virginia Tech
10/19 at Albany
10/26 Elon
11/9 at William & Mary
11/16 at Maine
11/23 James Madison

We still play 8 CAA Games and this conference sends a high number of teams to the FCS Playoffs. How URI does in those 8 games dictates strongly which of the CAA Teams will go to post season play. Games against Brown, Ohio U and Virginia Tech are not so critical as if they were Basketball OOC Games.
Virginia Tech could also help recruiting this year and could also help with signing FBS Transfers. URI Coaching Staff will certainly promote the road trips to Ohio University and now to Virginia Tech.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Ok, fair enough. Ideally this would happen in an even year when you have Brown at home, so you don't have only four home games. Other than that, as a one off I think it's good to play two FBS team, and there's just no way to say no to Virginia Tech in this case. It does make for a tempting trip in ways that Ohio does not.
I think that the assumption that having another FBS Game on the schedule and that this lessens the chances that URI can make the FCS Playoffs is not correct.

8/31 at Ohio
9/7 Delaware
9/21 at New Hampshire

9/28 Stony Brook
10/5 at Brown
10/12 at Virginia Tech
10/19 at Albany
10/26 Elon
11/9 at William & Mary
11/16 at Maine
11/23 James Madison

We still play 8 CAA Games and this conference sends a high number of teams to the FCS Playoffs. How URI does in those 8 games dictates strongly which of the CAA Teams will go to post season play. Games against Brown, Ohio U and Virginia Tech are not so critical as if they were Basketball OOC Games.
Virginia Tech could also help recruiting this year and could also help with signing FBS Transfers. URI Coaching Staff will certainly promote the road trips to Ohio University and now to Virginia Tech.

That logic however totally falls apart if URI (assuming it loses the two FBS games as odds greatly favor) cannot manage to go at worst 6-3 verus FCS teams so that it has an overall winning record for a possible at large bid to the playoffs. Going 6-3 versus FCS teams (all but one in the CAA) will be a tough prospect playing just four games at home. That record might also not even be good enough for an at large. That is part of the reason RhowdyRam02 thought a season with Brown at home would be preferable should URI play two FBS teams.

I like Va Tech on a future URI schedule. I do not like it as a second FBS opponent and certainly not a year that already had so few home games. I however get that the opportunity to play the Hokies is not a typical opportunity and only came about because of extenuating circumstances (ECU feud). While the revenue will be nice, I think this move pretty much means next season will yield a near certain losing record (not exactly a departure from the recent norm). Perhaps the powers in Kingston figured that a losing record was already likely in the cards given some key position losses and a money grab was the best long term course of action for the program.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm goin to the URI Tech game!
It's likely to get ugly, but I have some tech fan friends I could go with.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago

8/31 at Ohio
9/7 Delaware
9/21 at New Hampshire

9/28 Stony Brook
10/5 at Brown
10/12 at Virginia Tech
10/19 at Albany
10/26 Elon
11/9 at William & Mary
11/16 at Maine
11/23 James Madison

That logic however totally falls apart if URI (assuming it loses the two FBS games as odds greatly favor) cannot manage to go at worst 6-3 verus FCS teams so that it has an overall winning record for a possible at large bid to the playoffs. Going 6-3 versus FCS teams (all but one in the CAA) will be a tough prospect playing just four games at home. That record might also not even be good enough for an at large. That is part of the reason RhowdyRam02 thought a season with Brown at home would be preferable should URI play two FBS teams.

I like Va Tech on a future URI schedule. I do not like it as a second FBS opponent and certainly not a year that already had so few home games. I however get that the opportunity to play the Hokies is not a typical opportunity and only came about because of extenuating circumstances (ECU feud). While the revenue will be nice, I think this move pretty much means next season will yield a near certain losing record (not exactly a departure from the recent norm). Perhaps the powers in Kingston figured that a losing record was already likely in the cards given some key position losses and a money grab was the best long term course of action for the program.
RF1,
You make it sound like the powers that be at URI decided this was a lost season so just go ahead and take the $700K for the Virginia Tech Game
I don't think this VaTech Game connects with the despair that you indicate

For one thing, URI should win the Brown game, even though it is at Brown. We destroyed Brown 48-0 this year at URI. We dominated them in all facets of the game. If we can't beat Brown at Brown next year then it was not meant to be for URI to make the FCS Playoffs anyway. We would not be good enough

A look at last year CAA put 6 teams in the group of 24 teams selected. Records do not include Playoff Results - only record at FCS selection time.
Maine (7-1) 8-3 - was the #7 seed in FCS vs winner of Jacksonville State and ETSU
James Madison (6-2) 8-3 - played Delaware in 1st round home game
Delaware (5-3) 7-4 - played James Madison in 1st round away game
Stony Brook (5-3) 7-4 - played Southeast Missouri State in 1st round away game
Towson (5-3) 7-4 - played Duquesne in 1st round home game
Elon (4-3) 6-4 - played Wofford in 1st round away game

Rhode Island (4-4) 6-5
William & Mary (3-4) 4-6
New Hampshire (3-5) 4-7
Villanova (2-6) 4-7
Rchmond (2-6) 4-7
Albany (1-7) 3-8

If we go 5-3 in CAA, beat Brown and lost to Ohio University and Virginia Tech then very likely we are in the FCS Post Season even with a 6-5 overall record.
Note Elon and William & Mary played one less CAA Game because of cancellation due to Hurricane

If URI went 5-3 in CAA, beat Brown and lost to Ohio University to finish 6-4 because they refused the Virginia Tech game that was recently agreed upon then they would still likely make the CAA Post Season.

I do not see the risk or any downside in adding Virginia Tech to the schedule - only upside to me:
- $700K or thereabouts added the program for facility upgrades, recruiting, etc that we would not have had otherwise. P5 FBS Schools like Kansas, Syracuse and Virginia Tech pay considerably higher amounts than Non P5 FBS Schools like UCONN, UMASS, Western Michigan, Ohio University
- Fills up the schedule to 11 games
- Gives a quality ACC P5 FBS Opponent on the schedule to help recruiting and give more excitement to the current staff and team roster
- Gives a good possible road game for fans to attend
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago If we go 5-3 in CAA, beat Brown and lost to Ohio University and Virginia Tech then very likely we are in the FCS Post Season even with a 6-5 overall record.
Note Elon and William & Mary played one less CAA Game because of cancellation due to Hurricane

If URI went 5-3 in CAA, beat Brown and lost to Ohio University to finish 6-4 because they refused the Virginia Tech game that was recently agreed upon then they would still likely make the CAA Post Season.
Sorry but I do not share your optimism. In my view your expectations do not line up with the fact that the URI football program has but one winning season in the last 17 years. Playing two FBS team and having just four home games will make a successful season all that much tougher next year for a program that typically annually struggles just to get a few wins. I also saw what happened with URI this past year when Lawson was out and worry going forward with him gone.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also think 5-3 CAA record will be hard to achieve the way things are now.

That could change though. We'll see.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is a bit more encouraging for the football schedule. In a recent podcast interview, AD Thorr Bjorn indicated that URI will be able to play 12 games next season and does expect a fifth home game. High probability that it may be Bryant. Would like to have continuing alternating H&H series with both Brown and Bryant with one of the games in Kingston each season.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

But next year we already have Brown at home, so if we're doing one in Kingston each year we would need to start the series at Bryant if it starts next year. Then again, with 12 games, we should be able to play at Bryant, host Brown, plus host another team
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago But next year we already have Brown at home, so if we're doing one in Kingston each year we would need to start the series at Bryant if it starts next year. Then again, with 12 games, we should be able to play at Bryant, host Brown, plus host another team
Brown is away next year as Rhody hosted them in Kingston this past season.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I haven't been able to listen to the interview and misunderstood what you meant when you said next year. I thought the 2019 schedule was complete and he meant we could play the extra game in 2020.

If it is Bryant we're adding, it should be 11/2. We have an open date on 9/14 as well, but they appear to have a game already scheduled for that date
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago If we go 5-3 in CAA, beat Brown and lost to Ohio University and Virginia Tech then very likely we are in the FCS Post Season even with a 6-5 overall record.

Sorry but I do not share your optimism. In my view your expectations do not line up with the fact that the URI football program has but one winning season in the last 17 years. Playing two FBS team and having just four home games will make a successful season all that much tougher next year for a program that typically annually struggles just to get a few wins. I also saw what happened with URI this past year when Lawson was out and worry going forward with him gone.
RF1,
It’s not optimism. My belief is that adding the VaTech game will not impact whether we make or not make the FCS post season tournament. It’s performance within the CAA and having a record in the top 5-6 in CAA that is most important

Fact is I think Lawson was an extraordinary QB snd will be very difficult to equal. My guess will be no playoffs next year asxer have 4 difficult home games whilevtgecroad games are easier. Tough CAAschedule next year.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The CAA received 6 bids this year in Maine, JMU, Delaware, Towson, Elon, Stony Brook. I think that's a record. Of the 24 teams in the tournament, a quarter of them came from the CAA. Too bad they had 2 teams (Delaware vs. JMU) play each other in the first round. They could have found away around that. Thorr (on the Rhode Show podcast mentioned), they were probably one win away (that last 90 secs vs. Maine) from being one of the six (I'm assuming they would have been chosen instead of Elon). Too bad. We'll see what next year holds. I don't follow college football well enough to really have an intelligent decision.

I also noticed that Duquesne was in the tournament. Have they always had football? I'm moderately surprised that they weren't asked to join the A10 for football when it was A10 and/or when it merged or whatever with the CAA. Anyone have better info than what I can do with a Google search?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Duquesne joined FCS in 93?
In theory,not a bad idea.
Doubt they are fully funded though. Small school?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago Duquesne joined FCS in 93?
In theory,not a bad idea.
Doubt they are fully funded though. Small school?
They play in the NEC with Bryant. Less scholarships and lower operations cost league which URI was briefly set to join. They play right on their downtown campus in the small 2,200 seat Rooney Field which is named for the owning family of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The facility is basically squeezed onto their campus hemmed in by buildings and a highway.
Screenshot_2019-01-10 rooney field duquesne university - Google Search.png
0 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

Home to Merrimack on 11/2

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So based on Thorr's interview on the podcast, we couldn't make the dates work with Bryant and the series should start next year

Edited to add: This fall will be Merrimack's first year as an FCS school. They're moving up from Division 2
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2019 Football Schedule Officially out

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 0205abyk6a

2019 Football Schedule
Aug. 31 – at Ohio
Sept. 7 – Delaware
Sept. 14 – Open
Sept. 21 – at New Hampshire
Sept. 28 – Stony Brook
Oct. 5 – at Brown
Oct. 12 – at Virginia Tech
Oct. 19 – at Albany
Oct. 26 – Elon
Nov. 2 – Merrimack
Nov. 9 – at William & Mary
Nov. 16 – at Maine
Nov. 23 – James Madison
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In that same article it mentions the Bryant series will go for 10 years and will start next season at Bryant. Really excited about that
0 x