Scrimmage vs St John's Oct 21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Scrimmage vs St John's Oct 21

Unread post by giovanni »

Not sure if this has been posted but I just saw this today and is actually from an article posted today

http://watchstadium.com/news/not-so-sec ... 0-09-2018/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Scrimmage vs St John's Oct 21

Unread post by ramster »

What?
PC Friazzz do not have a scrimmage? Only BE Team besides Butler not to have one?
With their beautiful new Practice Facility?
Say it aint so Big Ed?

BIG EAST

Butler – None

Creighton – 10/20 vs. Minnesota

DePaul – 10/27 vs. Bowling Green

Georgetown – 10/20 vs. Temple; 10/27 at VCU

Marquette – 10/28 at Northwestern

Providence – None

St. John’s – 10/21 vs. Rhode Island

Seton Hall – 10/27 at Boston College

Villanova – 10/20 vs. North Carolina; 10/27 at Virginia

Xavier – 10/27 at Ohio State
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago What?
PC Friazzz do not have a scrimmage? Only BE Team besides Butler not to have one?
Say it aint so Big Ed?

BIG EAST

Butler – None

Providence – None

PC is playing two exhibitions at the DDC where they can soak their season ticket holders for a game many will not attend. If a team plays two exhibitions, it cannot by the rules, play a scrimmage.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I understand the rule on the number of scrimmages + exhibtions. Is there a limit on scrimmages only?
Harvard has scrimmages against URI, UCONN & BC. Not sure if they also have an exhibition.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I understand the rule on the number of scrimmages + exhibtions. Is there a limit on scrimmages only?
Harvard has scrimmages against URI, UCONN & BC. Not sure if they also have an exhibition.
Two in total - either exhibition or scrimmage per my understanding.

Harvard is not scrimmaging URI. They will play a regular season game versus Rhody.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Am I the only one who hates these scrimmages? Why not play St. John’s in a real game? Some of these scrimmage matchups would be great non-conference games. Want a scrimmage, play against a D2 school to tune up.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You’re probably not the only fan who feels that way, but my guess is that coaches and players see a lot of value in playing a game against legit comp where there are no consequences, either in terms of records or in term of fan and media nit picking.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Am I the only one who hates these scrimmages? Why not play St. John’s in a real game? Some of these scrimmage matchups would be great non-conference games. Want a scrimmage, play against a D2 school to tune up.
St John's probably wouldn't agree to play URI in a real game. The last time the Johnnies played URI was back in 1980 (played nearly every year with 31 meetings from 1944-1980). A scrimmage is likely the only way the teams meet these days unless they both end up playing in the same tournament somewhere. The creation of the Big East effectively ended continuing games with St John's, just as the case with UConn. While URI still wanted games, these schools no longer wanted any association with Rhody despite a shared history.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Thanks Dave.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Am I the only one who hates these scrimmages? Why not play St. John’s in a real game? Some of these scrimmage matchups would be great non-conference games. Want a scrimmage, play against a D2 school to tune up.
The scrimmage gives both teams a feeling for where they stand vs top D1 competition. It gives them specific items to work on that will need to improve to beat their top OOC opponents and top conference opponents. Then they start the regular season against weaker competition continuing to work on key items without risking a loss. Wins matter to the fan base and NCAA Tournament selection.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
The scrimmage gives both teams a feeling for where they stand vs top D1 competition. It gives them specific items to work on that will need to improve to beat their top OOC opponents and top conference opponents. Then they start the regular season against weaker competition continuing to work on key items without risking a loss. Wins matter to the fan base and NCAA Tournament selection.
I get the point of the scrimmage and probably wouldn’t mind them as much if these teams were willing to play in a regular season game as well. It just seems the only way these guys will play some of these games is in a secret scrimmage that does not count. I am willing to be open to the idea that this creates some relationships between the programs where a game may be scheduled in the future, but don’t see that happening if we “win” the scrimmage. Also F St. John’s if they don’t want to play us - their program has stunk for years.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Say it aint so Big Ed?

BIG EAST

Butler – None

Providence – None

PC is playing two exhibitions at the DDC where they can soak their season ticket holders for a game many will not attend. If a team plays two exhibitions, it cannot by the rules, play a scrimmage.
Just to set the record straight I am actually paying less this year for tickets .They have not increased prices in six years. So as far as them soaking their fans not accurate they gave a credit for the Seton Hall game last year is the reason they are less.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
I get the point of the scrimmage and probably wouldn’t mind them as much if these teams were willing to play in a regular season game as well. It just seems the only way these guys will play some of these games is in a secret scrimmage that does not count. I am willing to be open to the idea that this creates some relationships between the programs where a game may be scheduled in the future, but don’t see that happening if we “win” the scrimmage. Also F St. John’s if they don’t want to play us - their program has stunk for years.
On this point, we've scrimmaged Harvard in recent years, and this year they are on the schedule. So it does happen that scrimmages can lead to regular season games, I guess. But to me, that is a secondary benefit to doing these. The primary benefit is to give coaches and players some early feedback on where they are at. Another point is that doing them secretly allows teams to actually do some stuff they want to do in games without putting those wrinkles on tape for future opponents yet.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Say it aint so Big Ed?

BIG EAST
Butler – None
Providence – None
Just to set the record straight I am actually paying less this year for tickets .They have not increased prices in six years. So as far as them soaking their fans not accurate they gave a credit for the Seton Hall game last year is the reason they are less.
Got it RF1.
So URI does both with their 2 games. Scrimmage with St John’s and exhibition game with Pace
PC plays 2 exhibitions U of Bridgeport and Bowie State

I like better the SJU Scrimmage and Pace vs two cupcake exhibitions
Interesting Villanova going the route of two scrimmages with North Carolina and then at Virginia. No exhibitions.
Georgetown also with two scrimmages Temple and at VCU
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC chasing money with the two scrimmages.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PC gets nothing but money from those 2 "games".

Otherwise, waste of time.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the idea of scrimmages v St John's

You always want to improve yourself vs a big east caliber team
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What time was this scrimmage?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago What time was this scrimmage?
It’s a secret!

(Pretty sure it’s being played right now.)
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wonder where Jermaine is...
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cyril 23 and 10 in 35 minutes with only 3 fouls? If that is who he is this year then we are going to be much better than most people think.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

What I found interesting was the technical fouls given out. 2 of which went to tyrese martin. And one to fatts. Wonder if their was a dust up or something qhen 4 people got techs haha.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Stat sheet says Tyrese Martin got 2 techs. Odd
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

5 techs in the game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So excited to watch a healthy Cyril again. It’s been a while... since before the tournament his freshman year?
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Anyone know why Harris didn’t play? Hope it wasn’t an injury.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree Ace, he’s the forgotten man by A10 pundits partially due to injury last year and Andre’s offensive contribution. Was at VCU when he put up 18 and 13 against Tillman, he has the makeup to be a difference maker if he stays healthy.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Dowtin 5 of 7 from 3.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

A little surprised we won.

Good confidence builder for our guys and we did it without Jermaine whose hopefully fine.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know it’s just a scrimmage but this is a great sign. We need Jeff, Fatts and Cyril to lead this team.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I like how the standards of the “secret” scrimmages have slipped. Small details used to be leaked- this guy was good, this guy struggled with his shot.

Now they’re like, eff it... here’s a picture of the box score.

Heron should get much better as the season goes on, and St. John’s should be good, as long as their coach gets out of their way.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Love the free throw stats. Cyril 7-7 on the line. Way to go big man!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Agree on it being a great sign. The game must have been very competitive if there were 5 techs. I wouldn’t have thought they won win with a bad shooting day from Fatts and no Harris. They will keep growing this year and be very tough by the end of the season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The complete photo showing stats for the 85-79 win over the Johnnies:

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Only 8 guys played. You’d think with a scrimmage everyone would get minutes, barring injury.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Fatts with a classic 5-18 from the field. #ShootersShoot
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Only 8 guys played. You’d think with a scrimmage everyone would get minutes, barring injury.
Would like to know why Harris did not play. Four other Frosh all had double digit minutes.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Both teams had negative assist:turnover ratios. Ours was that way almost entirely due to Cyril’s 1:6 ratio. If he gives us 23 and 10 and only picks up 3 personal fouls in 35 minutes, I’ll live with 6 turnovers I guess. But would be awesome if he could get those other numbers and just take care of the ball a little better.

It’s weird commenting on a game I didn’t see, so trying not to read too much into the box score. Obviously a little concerning that Harris didn’t play, but haven’t heard from anyone that he’s seriously injured so knock on wood he’ll be ready to go.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Awful early for the rumors to start, don’t you think? 😛

3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When you add Harris they are at a 9 man rotation which is deep. Five guys over 30 minutes and Thompson with 29 is really high. Thompson fouling out when you get 6 fouls is crazy. Only 5 minutes for Preston when Harris didn’t play is concerning.
The read from the starting line up (Dana started) is that Dana is the first of the bench for Harris (and probably Cyril - assuming Harris would slide over). Thompson started ahead of Martin. I would guess Cox will not be happy with the two techs by Martin.
The three Fr shot a combined 6-10 FG and 6-7 FT.
Overall 3PT shooting and FTs are crazy good.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago When you add Harris they are at a 9 man rotation which is deep. Five guys over 30 minutes and Thompson with 29 is really high. Thompson fouling out when you get 6 fouls is crazy. Only 5 minutes for Preston when Harris didn’t play is concerning.
The read from the starting line up (Dana started) is that Dana is the first of the bench for Harris (and probably Cyril - assuming Harris would slide over). Thompson started ahead of Martin. I would guess Cox will not be happy with the two techs by Martin.
The three Fr shot a combined 6-10 FG and 6-7 FT.
Overall 3PT shooting and FTs are crazy good.

I think Preston is strictly a backup to Cyril.
Cyril obviously didn't leave the game so they didn't need Preston.
At least he made his only shot he took.

Also, we continue to beat big east teams :mrgreen:
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No concerns for Harris. Was held out of practice Thurs (not sure about Fri). He was riding the bike during the practice the media was at. They reported that Cox said it was not a big deal.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rothstein picked St Johns for third in the BE behind Nova and Marquette.
It’s a first scrimmage and as Ace mentioned St Johns should improve. Still a great sign for Rhody.
Looking forward to seeing them in person Thurs night vs Pace.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t disagree about an 8 or 9 man rotation in regular games. I was just curious why it happened in a scrimmage where the score didn’t matter.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

IMO this is a team that needs to establish new roles for their core players, and develop chemistry amongst a new batch of freshmen. I am sure vs Pace you will see a lot more of the bench, but against a real team like SJU this was a great test for the new core to get their confidence up.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How bout 4 steals by the Fatt man. My guess is that he probably spent a lot of time guarding Ponds who wound up with 6 turnovers.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The score did matter. This is a young team that needs to build confidence. I would also expect the Fr to get a lot of playing time. They need the experience. When URI played Buffalo last year in the exhibition they played to win.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think I've decided I'll be cool with Cyril going for 23 and 10 every night.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great win. Scrimmage or not this was real competition.
0 x
GO RAMS