Rhody Madness 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody Madness 2018

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's going to cost a little bit of money for anyone who wants to go this year...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Rhody Madness

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

$15 for a lifetime of memories.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The students should not have to pay for this.
6 x
Go Rhody
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I would pay significantly more than $15 to not have to hear Lil Baby.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Puck Frovidence wrote: 5 years ago I would pay significantly more than $15 to not have to hear Lil Baby.

Better than Bhad Bhabie. Cashhh me outside.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I hope I'm wrong, but if this 'used to be free', and now it's $10 for students, would project minimal attendance...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago I hope I'm wrong, but if this 'used to be free', and now it's $10 for students, would project minimal attendance...
Not only was it free, but the students would have to be lured with free food, free t-shirts and free rap artists.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’ve never heard of the entertainer, but I’m not exactly the demo so unless it was Drake or Kanye or the dude Eminem just buried I wouldnt have heard of him. If the entertainer is good enough that people would pay $10 to see him, then attendance should be good. If not, it’ll probably be disappointing. You’d think the student fee would cover this, so unless they’ve been turning away thousands of students at previous versions of this you could understand why a kid would want to spend that money at the bar.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

All I know is Lil Baby is an ATL based rapper. I’m probably in the minority on this board where I don’t think it’s a terrible choice for the event although I wish they had gotten someone else. Better than some Dave Matthews Band or country type stuff to appease the ears here. I’m planning on going!
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

One of my ex-wives was a rapper......she worked only during Christmas season at a kiosk at the mall ...
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I never heard of him and I’m in my twenties but if the players like him and hopefully some recruits , then I’m good.
2 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Kind of odd that the program chooses to charge for this event now, when it is in its best financial position in a long time, flush with money from:

Increased NCAA Tournament revenues
Increased ticket revenues
Increased sponsorship revenue
Increased concessions revenue
Reduced head Coaching Salary
Former Head Coach buyout
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe they are gathering resources for significant program improvements and don’t want to splurge on an event that is fun but ultimately not that important to the long term success of the program?
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

$10 is nothing even to 18-19 year old me.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Maybe they are gathering resources for significant program improvements and don’t want to splurge on an event that is fun but ultimately not that important to the long term success of the program?
Perhaps. Would still however be nice to be officially told what the money is being reserved for as to date there have been no demonstrable effects for people to see.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago One of my ex-wives was a rapper......she worked only during Christmas season at a kiosk at the mall ...

All this talk about.rappers while Barry Manilow is available. Unbelievable.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Maybe they are gathering resources for significant program improvements and don’t want to splurge on an event that is fun but ultimately not that important to the long term success of the program?
So they decide to splurge on a famous rapper and charge people rather than keeping it the same as the past two years with no rapper and being free?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Madness 2018

I have no idea if the rapper is famous or how much he costs. I feel like they’ve had performers at previous madness events. Do we know this one definitely costs more?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I have no idea if the rapper is famous or how much he costs. I feel like they’ve had performers at previous madness events. Do we know this one definitely costs more?
Tough to say, last two I remember were Ace Hood and Rae Sremmurd. I'd say Lil Baby is probably more expensive than Ace Hood, my guess would be similar price as Rae Sremmurd.

This site has Lil Baby's appearance fee as 50k-75k but I'm not sure how accurate that number is or if that's mainly for actual concerts and not other events. I can't imagine URI would pay even half that for him to be at Rhody Madness but who knows.

http://www.eventresourcespresents.com/a ... D54/name/1
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I'd rather have Rae Sremmurd again, but Swae Lee would probably require too much of an appearance fee now since he's much bigger now than he was a few years ago.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago One of my ex-wives was a rapper......she worked only during Christmas season at a kiosk at the mall ...

Taylor Swift is practically Cox’s neighbor! Why not her?
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago

Taylor Swift is practically Cox’s neighbor! Why not her?
I quit music to be here.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like “Lil” is implied in the word “Baby,” but what do I know?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago I feel like “Lil” is implied in the word “Baby,” but what do I know?
We had Big Baby playing for the Celtics not long ago.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Excellent point, Bb.

Having the music and an admisson fee seems like they are really stressing that this is for the students. That can create a nice atmosphere. If they have other free events, like an open practice, the non-student group seems more likely to hit that.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This event should always be geared towards the students...bottom line. Create something separate for the donors/season ticket holders. Trying to "middle it" with something for both is a surefire way to make it LAME on both ends.
5 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This event should always be geared towards the students...bottom line. Create something separate for the donors/season ticket holders. Trying to "middle it" with something for both is a surefire way to make it LAME on both ends.
It's a really good point. The intersection on the Venn Diagram for students and alums is definitely the basketball itself (although there's def some RC gigs with crossover), not most music, etc. Midnight Madness should be for the students and it really should be free for them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It would be free if they didn't have a national act come in. Once you do, you can subsidize the cost between the athletic department and the Student Entertainment Council, but you still need to charge.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Haven't they had fairly well known rap artists in the past at this event? I wouldn't know because I hate rap, but IIRC, the students were excited about past rap artists that performed at this. One year, there was also a cookout outside, free burgers for the students on top of the rap artist, and that was free. It does seem a strange time to start charging when income for the program would seem to be at an all time high.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Speaking for myself, I have never had any interest in attending these kick off events. I view them as student rallies and I am far off from my college years.
0 x
RhodeRam
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RhodeRam »

I always remember the Harrick body surfing night. Crazy kickoff event.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Hopefully, the Pep Band isn't invited. If I hear that Game of Thrones song one more time... :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Haven't they had fairly well known rap artists in the past at this event? I wouldn't know because I hate rap, but IIRC, the students were excited about past rap artists that performed at this. One year, there was also a cookout outside, free burgers for the students on top of the rap artist, and that was free. It does seem a strange time to start charging when income for the program would seem to be at an all time high.
They got Rae Sremmurd a few years ago and they definitely have a higher profile than whoever Lil Baby is. IIRC Rae Sremmurd filled in for Fetty Wap who had been in a motorcycle accident. Funny looking back on it now with Fetty Wap largely out of the mainstream and Rae Sremmurd one of the bigger names in rap right now.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Haven't they had fairly well known rap artists in the past at this event? I wouldn't know because I hate rap, but IIRC, the students were excited about past rap artists that performed at this. One year, there was also a cookout outside, free burgers for the students on top of the rap artist, and that was free. It does seem a strange time to start charging when income for the program would seem to be at an all time high.
They got Rae Sremmurd a few years ago and they definitely have a higher profile than whoever Lil Baby is. IIRC Rae Sremmurd filled in for Fetty Wap who had been in a motorcycle accident. Funny looking back on it now with Fetty Wap largely out of the mainstream and Rae Sremmurd one of the bigger names in rap right now.
Lil Baby is arguably one of the hottest acts in hip hop today.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
STC wrote: 5 years ago
Lil Baby is arguably one of the hottest acts in hip hop today.

Pretty amazing since he's just a lil baby.
5 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

If I'm paying 10$ can I atleast get a scrimmage?? I don't even think they make students pay at Big Blue Madness for UK...
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago If I'm paying 10$ can I atleast get a scrimmage?? I don't even think they make students pay at Big Blue Madness for UK...
I’m paying to see dunks on dunks on dunks.

Open Practice is what scrimmages are for.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It looks like Lil Baby plays small venues with one other singer (rapper I am guessing) and tickets are $55.
He also performs in larger concerts where there are 6 artist and Meek Mill is the feature. They are playing at Wells Fargo Arena in Philly this month. Tickets are $59.

I would guess that URI is funding most of the cost to get the ticket price down to $10. If there are enough Lil Baby fans in RI, they should get a decent crowd with $10 tickets.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Looks like no dunks on a court this year.

In case anyone is still wondering why there's a cost for this year's Rhody Madness. $15 is kind of a bargain for a concert with a full stage at the RC if you take into consideration it's about ~$50 to see Lil Baby at any other venue.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody Madness is just a concert. Players be announced on stage.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s similar format to what most of these events have turned into (less basketball, more entertainment) to engage the Gen Z crowd. Glorified pep rally. I have no issue with that, the sole purpose should be to excite and engage the student body in advance of the season.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My Rhody Madness memories consisted of Baron shouting into a microphone.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It’s similar format to what most of these events have turned into (less basketball, more entertainment) to engage the Gen Z crowd. Glorified pep rally. I have no issue with that, the sole purpose should be to excite and engage the student body in advance of the season.
I agree but you aren’t just getting URI fans. You are getting any Lil Baby fans within driving distance to the RC.
There is a chance that there will be more non fans then fans.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It’s similar format to what most of these events have turned into (less basketball, more entertainment) to engage the Gen Z crowd. Glorified pep rally. I have no issue with that, the sole purpose should be to excite and engage the student body in advance of the season.
I agree but you aren’t just getting URI fans. You are getting any Lil Baby fans within driving distance to the RC.
Agreed. I really wanted to go, but I'm going to pass now that it's a full concert. I like Lil Baby but would prefer to see some basketball.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Will this be streamed anywhere? Anyone going willing to IG LIVE the event?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't imagine there will be a live stream of a concert
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
As long as they fill the building, I don’t care why they’re there.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I can't imagine there will be a live stream of a concert
I’m more interested in the team intros
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I don't know where to post this question but has anyone heard anything about an open practice before the exhibition game on the 25th?
0 x