2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Here we go again...

Daynia La-Force enters her 5th season with the team with a 38-81 record overall, however, in the past two years the team has faltered to a paltry 9 wins.

Nichole Jorgenson is the teams leading returning scorer (14.5) and rebounder (7.8). Four players also return who averaged at or near 7ppg and 20+mpg last season.

This year also marks the return of Providence native and former top-75 recruit Davida Dale, who transferred from Syracuse and sat out last year.

With a good mix of veteran talent and less fresh faces, this has to be the year they improve...RIGHT?

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2018-19/roster
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I mean, if there isn't improvement, you'd have to think La-Force would be in severe danger of losing her job. Pretty tough to keep a job with a sub-500 winning percentage over five years, unless there are some extreme extenuating circumstances.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Five year deal was signed upon hiring in May-2014. Contract is up this May. If she doesn't win this season, time to cut ties. No penalty will make it an easy decision if this is not a breakout season. She hasn't won in her time here and didn't deliver her son. Has shown to be a bad hire to date. Get the revolving door moving once again.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Another player, Nay Lassiter, has left the program......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

Has anyone made it the full 4 years under Daynia? No shade just wondering...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Another player, Nay Lassiter, has left the program......
That's out of the blue. Ten days ago they had an Instagram post that had her role on the team this year
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh wow.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last year was tough but the girls played hard and never gave up
Only 3 wins and 1-15 A10 is ugly but.......
Lassiter started 8 games during OOC but at the end of the season her playing time dwindled to very little. This season her playing time would drop more with Davida Dale surely taking a starting spot and lots of minutes. Lassiter played less as a Sophomore than as a Freshman and would likely have played less as a Junior.
Nicole Jorgensen has All Conference ability
Vargas is a solid player and continued surefire starter.
Should be an improved team this year. Crucial 5th year for the HC but I see a significantly improved team this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyinCali wrote: 5 years ago Has anyone made it the full 4 years under Daynia? No shade just wondering...
I wrote this four months ago:

"It looks like we've had eight players leave the program early in the four years she's been here. These eight played at least one season here under La-Force, I'm not counting anyone that might have left in the off-season where we made the coaching change.

Of the eight that left early, five are her own recruits.

We had no seniors finish out the year on the court because all three players from her first recruiting class left early."

In conference record went from 8-8 to 5-11 to 2-14 to 1-15. Something definitely seems wrong there.
0 x
Neverleft0
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Neverleft0 »

Hi,

I would like to know where this inaccurate information came from because it is not true.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Neverleft0 wrote: 5 years ago Hi,

I would like to know where this inaccurate information came from because it is not true.
Is this in response to my last post in the thread?
1 x
Neverleft0
Jim Eitner

Yes about Nay Lassiter leaving the program...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Neverleft0 wrote: 5 years ago Yes about Nay Lassiter leaving the program...
I don't know where the poster who announced it got their information, but she's not listed on the current roster

http://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2018-19/roster
0 x
Neverleft0
Jim Eitner

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
I don't know where the poster who announced it got their information, but she's not listed on the current roster

Nay Lassiter would never quit on her team willingly.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Neverleft0 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Nay Lassiter would never quit on her team willingly.
Who said she QUIT? It was stated that she has left the program. If that is inaccurate, you could certain prove that to be false, but according to the roster she is not currently on the team, which means she has left the program. No one has stated the reason why, it was just stated that she left. Is that not true?
0 x
Neverleft0
Jim Eitner

My apologies. Wrong choice of words. Nay Lassiter would never LEAVE her team willingly.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Neverleft0 wrote: 5 years ago My apologies. Wrong choice of words. Nay Lassiter would never LEAVE her team willingly.
Is it fair to assume that you're Nay Lassiter? Can I ask what happened if you didn't willingly leave the program?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

On September 25 a friend of Nay's tweeted that the release was granted to Nay.....

....the poster here implies that maybe it wasn't Nay's decision to leave.....we may never know the backstory
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Women with a nice win today at Vermont......trailed by one with 30 seconds to go....took a 1 point lead with a layup....played good D....rebounded a miss and got fouled and Davida Dale made two free throws for a 3 point lead....then held on as a last second shot by Vermont was wide way right...

Don't like the rule in WCB where you call timeout and get the ball to inbounds near the opponents foul stripe....1.4 seconds left after our free throws but they get the ball near the three point arc....
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Like the NBA rule? Didn’t realize that college women’s games had that rule.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agree....I hate that rule in the NBA and I hate in WCBB. Hope it doesn't make it to the men's game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We will be seeing old friend Jerry D in Clemson South Carolina on Saturday December 8 at 2pm Littlejohn Coliseum

http://clemsontigers.com/coaches/jerry-degregorio/
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago We will be seeing old friend Jerry D in Clemson South Carolina on Saturday December 8 at 2pm Littlejohn Coliseum

http://clemsontigers.com/coaches/jerry-degregorio/
Whaaaat??!! Ok!!!! [/Lil Jon]
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI beats PC to go to 4-2 which is one win greater than all of last year when we only won 3 games
Davida Dale paced Rhody with 18 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 steals

Some tough games for Rhody in December traveling to Clemson, to #25 Ranked undefeated Kentucky and to #20 Ranked undefeated Minnesota.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My daughter and I were there right behind our bench......very exciting game.....great result......go watch Davida Dale.....she is worth the price of admission and she is a Rhode Islander....
1 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Another good win for the Lady Rams today as they won the Ocean State Tournament defeating Brown in the championship. Abby Streeter off the bench went 6-7 from 3 with 20 points. As previously mentioned they will head on the road this week vs Kentucky & Clemson. Good to see the team off to a good 5-2 start.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing about the Brown win was as great as Davida Dale was against PC on Saturday she struggled today against Brown hitting only 2-18 FGs, although she still hit 6-6 FTs.
Streeter was great as you said going for 20 points but also Nicole Jorgensen has a double - double with 21 points and 10 rebounds with 8-16 FGs and 5-6 FTs. Meghan Oberg was strong with her 24 minutes of PT off the bench and came up with 10 big rebounds. We outrebounded Brown 60-46!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dale named A-10 Player of the Week.

2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I'll be the first to admit I don't watch much girls basketball, but checking the box score to the Brown game is very impressive. You don't usually win many games when your starting guards shoot 5-33!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Badly beaten on our home court by Harvard today 80-47

Score was 25-6 after the 1stQ and 46-9 at the half - ouch

Davida Dale did not play today and did not play at Minnesota.

She had had issues with Turnovers.

Last 3 games:
9 TOs at Kentucky
10 TOs at Clemson
9 TOs vs Hartford

Dale also had 10 TOs in a game vs Boston College Nov 8
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI wins first A10 contest on Saturday
Davida Dale did not play for the 3rd straight game.
Still no announcement or any word on her situation.
Very strange the silence. Nothing in any pre or post game articles.
Still listed on roster.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Always some weird disruptive drama on women’s team.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Always some weird disruptive drama on women’s team.
ATP,
It’s not the first time with this kind of no information provided, it’s more the norm. Here is a high scoring starter missing for 3 games and not a of explanation. No mention in pregame GoRhody write up either. We get lots of data on the pre and post game write ups but then nothing regarding Davida Dale. Makes it look like they are hiding something - which is never a good practice.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Always some weird disruptive drama on women’s team.
ATP,
It’s not the first time with this kind of no information provided, it’s more the norm. Here is a high scoring starter missing for 3 games and not a of explanation. No mention in pregame GoRhody write up either. We get lots of data on the pre and post game write ups but then nothing regarding Davida Dale. Makes it look like they are hiding something - which is never a good practice.
Not setting a good tone.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I only know who the women's coach is because whenever you watch Florida State play on TV...they say her name at least 5 times.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dale played Wednesday night following 3 games of not playing. No explanation for her absence was provided.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It was stated that she had an injury.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote: 5 years ago It was stated that she had an injury.
Where was it stated? And when? I read all the game previews and post game reports for all 3 games she did not appear in and missed seeing anything. Thanks.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

This was just released, the recap from the GW game. Mentioned her injury but no specifics.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 0109vxuvq4

Still, whether it's just nobody asking the questions or bad communication from the program, missing one of your best players should be communicated to the press in some way.
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

You have no idea the wbb program has some serious issues and it all starts from the top not to name names some can’t pass drug test some have been arrested some are punished some are not a select few are able to do whatever they want no consequences the team has no respect for coaches they are undisciplined and it shows this program is an embarrassment and if you open your mouth you will end up like lassiter
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago You have no idea the wbb program has some serious issues and it all starts from the top not to name names some can’t pass drug test some have been arrested some are punished some are not a select few are able to do whatever they want no consequences the team has no respect for coaches they are undisciplined and it shows this program is an embarrassment and if you open your mouth you will end up like lassiter
What's a 'lassiter'?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

She's a former player who came on the board this summer herself or had someone close to her make a few posts at the top of this page. I've heard about chemistry issues since the 2016-17 season and we've seemed to have a high number of transfers over the course of La-Force's tenure
0 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

I feel as though Danya does everything right on the surface, consistently involved in the community, says the right things via social media and puts on a very unified team front for fans but it just isn't carrying over to Wins. This is a program that historically has struggled, without comparing them to the men but in the A-10 conference. With all the resources given from administration and via Title IX there is no reason they shouldn't finish higher in the conference. I think it's time for a change to right the ship....
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

With an 84-68 loss to Bonaventure today, the Rams stand at 7-13 overall, 2-6 in the A10. They've given up 80+ points in 5 games this year, which is...not great, Bob.
Other stats of note:
They are last in the A10 in turnovers per game, at a whopping 19.5 per game. They're also fouling at a very high rate as well. around 20 per game.
A recent development has been how well A10 teams have shot the 3 against them - around 35%, good for last in the conference as well. But similar to the Men's team, the Rhody Women have shot a paltry 23.8% from outside the arc.

If you don't take care of the ball, don't play smart defense and shoot like crap, you're going nowhere. Which is how this program has looked for the last decade or so.
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

When is the administration going to do something this can’t continue. laforce is running a dribble drive offense and does not have the personnel.There is no discipline and it shows Is laforce contract up this year? Time for a change
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Her contract is up after this season or most likely next. It was originally a five year deal with an option year to be added based on a performance review after the 2014-15 season
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Her contract is up after this season or most likely next. It was originally a five year deal with an option year to be added based on a performance review after the 2014-15 season
Per my post early in the thread:

Five year deal was signed upon hiring in May-2014. Contract is up this May.

She has had long enough to turn things around. Has failed. Time to start over again with a new coach.
2 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

I agree The team has talent but is not being used properly they have an all conference pre season center who they don’t utilize with the dribble drive the guards are not preforming well they don’t/can’t pass drive basket and flop on court
Do they run plays? Looks like no of them have any idea what’s going on. Why would Lafore not use 2 6’5 and 1 6’3 when other teams lacking height also the last 5 min of Bonnie’s game she went with all guards why? None of the had any idea how to work together time for a new coach!!!!
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Anyone know why Dale isn't starting? She's probably the most talented player in program history and is only getting 23 min a game in conference play. Wilson regressed as a player, and apparently as a person every year she was at URI. Since transferring she seems to be flourishing for a 17-5 Rutgers team where she starts and is shooting the 3 10% better than she did here at URI. I think I agree with the others that have said the LaForce regime may need to be coming towards an end. There's a clear lack of success with talent we have/had and additionally a lack of development.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre,
Dale played and started against Hartford on December 11 but then missed the @ Minnesota, Harvard and @ Richmond games, then played and started versus GW on January 9th. I had not seen anything written about her missing the Minnesota or Harvard games - was not mentioned in any pregame or postgame write-ups or in GoRhody. Unfortunately this lack of news seems to be more the norm than the exception.
Read after the Richmond game that she had been injured - still don't know any details.

Her 1st game ever played for URI vs Boston College she had 10 TOs
In the 3 games played before she went out for 3 games she had huge TO problems. Maybe the injury was contributing to this?
@ Kentucky - 9 TOs
@ Clemson - 10 TOs
Hartford - 9 TOs

The past 6 games she has not been in the starting lineup
Here TOs have become more reasonable at about 3 per game
0 x