2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by steviep123 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago My sources told me something completely different! I need new sources!
Do you want to say who your sources told you? It would be interesting to know who the finalists where. On paper it seems like a good hire. Hopefully it turns into reality.
Former Mens player from the 80s
Garrick 2.0? Bonzie Colson? Silk?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Reiss will need to contact the 4 incoming recruits who committed in November signing period.
Unfortunately Taniyah Thompson, reopened her recruiting and sighed with East Carolina last week.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 1215gmljp9
Kasey Gagan signed with CCBC Essex - below
Lassiter went to Southern Connecticut Div 2 school
Perez and Colome will be Grad Transfers not staying
Streeter announced leaving - possibly stays?
Not sure on other 3 November HS commits
Others who were looking to leave depends on the player, Reiss and/or NCAA waiver approval status

http://ccbcessexknights.com/sports/wbkb ... 0405j9360v
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Reiss will have time to right the ship.

Next season will be all about getting everyone on the same page.

Will take a couple of seasons to get enough talent to become a winner.

What a train wreck the program had become.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
In this day and age or transfers getting eligibility more easily plus the plethora of grad transfers, I think Reiss can make the team competitive rather quickly. We had good talent, but as others have so accurately stated not just this past month, but for the past several years, the team played selfishly, ran a very poor offensive system, did not play aggressive defense, dribble-drive was not very effective, players not in best of shape, poor leadership, etc.
I think we will see things improve faster than maybe expected. A lot depends on the best players staying on.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This team will not be good next year.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by uriwdesbeter »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rambone,
In this day and age or transfers getting eligibility more easily plus the plethora of grad transfers, I think Reiss can make the team competitive rather quickly. We had good talent, but as others have so accurately stated not just this past month, but for the past several years, the team played selfishly, ran a very poor offensive system, did not play aggressive defense, dribble-drive was not very effective, players not in best of shape, poor leadership, etc.
I think we will see things improve faster than maybe expected. A lot depends on the best players staying on.
I agree, just remember, it was the coach and direction (or lack therof), who either led this team, or didn't make corrections. Players playing selfishly, lots of turnovers, high numbers of fouls, dribble drive offense that never worked, are all things that the coach should have corrected...but didn't. The players who want to work and play hard will rise to the top. Just hope this coach gives the returning players the chance to do that and not just rely on transfers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

uriwdesbeter wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rambone,
I agree, just remember, it was the coach and direction (or lack therof), who either led this team, or didn't make corrections. Players playing selfishly, lots of turnovers, high numbers of fouls, dribble drive offense that never worked, are all things that the coach should have corrected...but didn't. The players who want to work and play hard will rise to the top. Just hope this coach gives the returning players the chance to do that and not just rely on transfers.
I agree completely. That is why I think we have good upside potential with the coach gone. I think things can improve quickly.
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago This team will not be good next year.
Why? To make a blanket statement like that shows your ignorance. This is not the ACC or SEC, it is a mid major conference in which top to bottom any team can beat anybody on any given night because the talent level is basically the same. Winning or being competitive has more to do with the coach and we had one of the worst in the country. It just showed in everything she did on the court. Even off the court she was no where to be found as the team logged countless hours of community service but she was too busy preparing her wardrobe for the next game. There were players that played that shouldn’t have and players who didn’t that should have and she just created one big hot mess! No player development whatsoever. Despite this , they had moments that demonstrated what they were capable of during the year despite her atrocious coaching. If this Tammy is as good as she looks on paper , this team will surprise some folks, you can take that to the bank iggy poo!
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Okay. The past has now passed.. I think Iggy is naturally pessimistic...better to have low expectations and underestimate....I like the new coach but I want to see with my own eyes and hear things with my own ears before I predict immediate improvements in wins.....I expect immediate improvement in attitude, culture, and preparation however....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

All In wrote: 5 years ago
Why? To make a blanket statement like that shows your ignorance. This is not the ACC or SEC, it is a mid major conference in which top to bottom any team can beat anybody on any given night because the talent level is basically the same. Winning or being competitive has more to do with the coach and we had one of the worst in the country. It just showed in everything she did on the court. Even off the court she was no where to be found as the team logged countless hours of community service but she was too busy preparing her wardrobe for the next game. There were players that played that shouldn’t have and players who didn’t that should have and she just created one big hot mess! No player development whatsoever. Despite this , they had moments that demonstrated what they were capable of during the year despite her atrocious coaching. If this Tammy is as good as she looks on paper , this team will surprise some folks, you can take that to the bank iggy poo!
All in: TOTALLY Agree with you! This is no place to be pessimistic! I would expect the players that remained are thrilled to have a coach that can help them win....and even if they don't win, in the words of the coach herself, "play hard" and play competitively. They totally can turn this around quickly.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I guess this may depend on what anyone considers a successful season. It also could depend greatly on both the amount of returning players we have as well as how many recruits we can get to commit. Also the amount of time it will take her to develop the culture. There can be successes that don't initially translate to wins, like playing harder, committing to a team, etc. Remember, Hurley's first year had 8 wins, but very few blowouts. Would people consider a steady progression over the next few seasons acceptable or are people assuming we'll jump to 20 wins next year?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Breaking news: Duke's Rene Haynes Named Head Coach of LIU Women’s Basketball. This is interesting because our own daniya laforce was a finalist for the job. So like URI, schools are opting for the younger dynamic coaches with pedigree as opposed to the older retreads with losing records. LIU dodged a bullet there.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

All In wrote: 5 years ago Breaking news: Duke's Rene Haynes Named Head Coach of LIU Women’s Basketball. This is interesting because our own daniya laforce was a finalist for the job. So like URI, schools are opting for the younger dynamic coaches with pedigree as opposed to the older retreads with losing records. LIU dodged a bullet there.
I’m surprised Laforce was a finalist anywhere after her record here.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
All In wrote: 5 years ago Breaking news: Duke's Rene Haynes Named Head Coach of LIU Women’s Basketball. This is interesting because our own daniya laforce was a finalist for the job. So like URI, schools are opting for the younger dynamic coaches with pedigree as opposed to the older retreads with losing records. LIU dodged a bullet there.
It is LIU. They earlier hired Derek Kellogg to be their men's coach.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
It is LIU. They earlier hired Derek Kellogg to be their men's coach.
Following a playing career at Georgetown LaForce was assistant coach at LIU for 7 years from 1995 to 2002. Makes sense that she would interview there. But was not hired.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I guess this may depend on what anyone considers a successful season. It also could depend greatly on both the amount of returning players we have as well as how many recruits we can get to commit. Also the amount of time it will take her to develop the culture. There can be successes that don't initially translate to wins, like playing harder, committing to a team, etc. Remember, Hurley's first year had 8 wins, but very few blowouts. Would people consider a steady progression over the next few seasons acceptable or are people assuming we'll jump to 20 wins next year?
Given all the negative stuff about this program, a change in culture, where the athletes are happy to be here would be a success in my book! I don't think anyone thinks any change of coach guarantees a great winning season. This program needs to rebuild...after two coaches and questionable culture throughout both of them (the first coach was well before my time), then creating a positive culture, player development, and team dynamics is more important than anything to start. If they win with that, then good for them.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I don't agree with your assessment of the talent on the team. I do agree with the posters here who expect the team to player harder and smarter. And I think the new coach will do a good job recruiting. But initially that won't add up to a lot of additional wins. That will take some time. Just my opinion but I'll gladly meet you back here next year to talk about how the season went.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

Igggy are you implying there is no talent on the team ? Please explain
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think we should expect a better record this season than last.

As for 20 wins....that's another couple of years away.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

URI WBB has one winning season since 2004-05 and more 1-win seasons than 20-win seasons during that span. URI WBB is going to blow next year, fact not opinion.
Last edited by STC 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

Have some faith...... they have talent should be playing well together and the playoffs a whole new season let’s support this team ya never know!!!!
2 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

STC sounds like a disgruntled former coach, player or parent! Boo Hoo for you fool! I’m with TAMMY!!! :D :D
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

And what does this sound like: Even off the court she was no where to be found as the team logged countless hours of community service but she was too busy preparing her wardrobe for the next game.
3 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago Have some faith...... they have talent should be playing well together and the playoffs a whole new season let’s support this team ya never know!!!!
If you really break down this last season....they won some games non-conference, not that they played well as a team, but just happened to have the upper hand. Did not play as a team up until the end of the season...the last 1/3 of the season, they held their own against good teams. Several of those should have been wins...had we had a coach who could coach. But they played better as a team towards the end. Less selfish play, different players on the court. This to me shows they have the ability to play well as a team. Lack of player development hurts anyone over time. Lack of coaching hurts the everything. I'm also with Tammy! She has a chance to turn this around...starting with the culture and team!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

New Associate Head Coach announced
Amadou comes to URI from Syracuse where he spent the last 3 years

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... i?view=bio
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Should we end this thread and create a new one to monitor the new coach, staff and players?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Should we end this thread and create a new one to monitor the new coach, staff and players?
There's a 2019-20 Women's Basketball Thread - or do you mean one specific only to the Women's team's coaching staff?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Post I replied to was announcement of new member of staff, unrelated to 18-19 season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 5 years ago New Associate Head Coach announced
Amadou comes to URI from Syracuse where he spent the last 3 years

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... i?view=bio
Looks like an excellent hire.
1 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

I just saw on FB page that Abby has committed to the Hartford Hawks. I wish her well, she was a good player and should have gotten more court time and she is an even better person
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

She was an energetic player when her shot was going down but her production dropped in second year as defenses didn’t give her space to shoot. Really couldnt create on her own but 2 years of the coach that was let go could wear anyone down. Basketball is still a game where size and speed dominate and defense wins championships. I wish her all the best and success at Hartford. Now let’s get Rhody going in 2020!
0 x
kipstreeter
Jim Eitner

Unread post by kipstreeter »

A quick question for all you out there: Who led the WBB team in Effective Field Goal % the last 2 years?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hearing that Reiss has got some commitments that are jaw dropping.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So Colome, the team's leading scorer, transfers to Syracuse. Ouch
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

Colome has been gone for months, long before new coach arrived.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

She Graduated. Now going grad Grad Transfer as she sat out a year when she transferred to URI from James Madison.
Known she was leaving.
Onward And upward.
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How ironic.
1 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Still hearing URI has some impressive transfers lined up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Any idea when we should hear names?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago So Colome, the team's leading scorer, transfers to Syracuse. Ouch
Colome would not have worked with Tammy . She monopolized the ball, moonlighted on defense and was only happy when she was scoring. Daniya let her do whatever she wanted. URI will be better without her. Prediction: she will not see the light of day at Syracuse a potential top 20 team next year. She will be a body and insurance.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

et c'est parti Rams!
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Cory Macchioni has been listed as the Director of Basketball Operations. Also rumor I heard was former player Meg Shoniker will come on an assistant coach
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

But why am I posting in French?
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

New player from France coming?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Two transfers from other schools originally from France, recruited by new assistant
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

Sissoko and Djaldi? They would have to sit one?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Foppossi from Syracuse. The other is not from Syracuse. Can't release her name yet.
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

👍
0 x
kipstreeter
Jim Eitner

Unread post by kipstreeter »

Shooting and NOT turning the ball over is what wins games. Get the book: Basketball on Paper. Read it. When your best shooter who turns the ball over the least is sitting on your bench, you will lose.
0 x