Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hallelujah!
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is great, and I am very glad it is happening, but in many ways its also kind of sad that this is what it took to even get us to this point. All this really does is bring us closer to the bare minimum standard of what is expected of a college football program in terms of facilities. And am I correct that there is no mention of fixing the stands?
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Does anyone know when this will take place?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the strategy on the stands is to just wait until they collapse so that maybe we can get some insurance money to help, and if anyone is seriously injured or dies that will just raise awareness and hopefully motivate the state to step up and do their part to bring the venue up to minimum standards. Only half joking.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote:This is great, and I am very glad it is happening, but in many ways its also kind of sad that this is what it took to even get us to this point. All this really does is bring us closer to the bare minimum standard of what is expected of a college football program in terms of facilities. And am I correct that there is no mention of fixing the stands?

High school stadiums in RI have turf and lights even. Great move, and appreciative of the donors for sure. I'm looking forward to some tailgating and Saturday Night Lights.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RFORTE wrote:Does anyone know when this will take place?
Per the article, it's set to be completed by fall 2020.

Also, there's no specific mention of upgrading the stands, but it doesn't sound like the lights and turf are the only upgrades. The project "includes the installation of synthetic turf and stadium lighting". (emphasis mine)
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

It's a start but even with these upgrades we are still bringing a water pistol to the college football arms race. Long way to go just to get on par with the CAA.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Also, there's no specific mention of upgrading the stands, but it doesn't sound like the lights and turf are the only upgrades. The project "includes the installation of synthetic turf and stadium lighting". (emphasis mine)
Good point, and I hope its true, but it would seem curious to not at least mention it if its in the plans since they know what an issue it has been.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I think the strategy on the stands is to just wait until they collapse so that maybe we can get some insurance money to help, and if anyone is seriously injured or dies that will just raise awareness and hopefully motivate the state to step up and do their part to bring the venue up to minimum standards. Only half joking.
When I read the part about them having all these other events there after these upgrades, like music festivals, my initial thought was "well that'll bring the stands down finally!"
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think the strategy on the stands is to just wait until they collapse so that maybe we can get some insurance money to help, and if anyone is seriously injured or dies that will just raise awareness and hopefully motivate the state to step up and do their part to bring the venue up to minimum standards. Only half joking.
When I read the part about them having all these other events there after these upgrades, like music festivals, my initial thought was "well that'll bring the stands down finally!"
I literally nearly spit my drink all over my monitor from laughing at this statement!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI’s Meade Stadium to get makeover

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... t-makeover
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rumor has it that NorwegianGal is the anonymous donor.......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Great news,heard it may have been more $$ donated?
So,where does this put Rhody when finished in terms of facilities in CAA? In NE?
Add a new east stands then where are they?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Great news,heard it may have been more $$ donated?
So,where does this put Rhody when finished in terms of facilities in CAA? In NE?

Unfortunately still last in the CAA.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RF1--who are the next worse three (that you have seen personally).
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

This is fantastic news. Great commitment we’ve been waiting for. It’s a step forward in the right direction.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Fixing the stands has to be part of the whole lights/turf deal. It would be silly - and look silly - if it didn't. Can't imagine that wouldn't be a part of it. Would LOVE to see them get some outdoor concerts there. That would be awesome.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Saw Marshall Tucker Band at Meade in 83. Fun times.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Always love to trot this out when Meade is discussed:

meade stadium concept.jpg
meade stadium concept.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The two mil should cover most of the field /lighting. Design/construction services aside, there’s money left to enhance those stands for sure. I personally love natural turf, but a new synthetic turf field does wonders for marketing and can play very well plus the durability and savings in maintenance. Lighting improves schedule flexibility and promotes a whole new experience to Uri football. Other uses can be introduced also as stated in the article. The rams program was at an all time low but these improvements and donations probably saved the program and that’s fantastic. It’s not a new stadium like pictured above, but it’s a major life line for the program and can certainly lead to more upgrades. Plus the view of the field from the ryan!
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Sad that there is no state support component at all in the Meade improvements. Perhaps URI should let PC use the field for some events. That seems to be the trick to getting significant money for athletic venue state funding. Just check out some big projects in the state over the last two decades and determine which one was treated much differently.

Three big ticket sports venue projects financially supported by the State of RI since 2000 (Pawsox Stadium currently not looking to likely be acted on).

State funds committed
Ryan Center: 18M (54M Total Cost)
New Pawsox Stadium: 23M (83M Total Cost)
DDC: 100M (100M Total Cost)

Funding
Ryan Center: 33% state/ 28% URI fundraising/ 39% URI Student fees
New Pawsox stadium: 28% state / 18% city of Pawtucket / 54% Pawsox Ownership
DDC: 100% state
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

DDC is more than $100 Million
Purchase land $26 million, construction $85 million, all using the Bonding from the Westin Hotel bonding agreement, Westin was sold, so they used that money for the Dunk and RI Convention Center did not have to float new bonds, just pay off old bonds.
Now, the Deal on the Westin, was it on the level? I don't know.
So, put in the finance cost, and you can easily get over 25 years a cost of close the 250,000,000.
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Maybe it’s just a first step, but it’s better than nothing! Regardless the novelty of the first night football game at Meade will bring in a big crowd and with the good lords blessing let the east stands remain upright throughout the game...maybe they can just sag enough for the structural engineers to finally face reality and the university get serious enough to not have a joke of a grandstand.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

R.Kelly150 wrote:Maybe it’s just a first step, but it’s better than nothing! Regardless the novelty of the first night football game at Meade will bring in a big crowd and with the good lords blessing let the east stands remain upright throughout the game...maybe they can just sag enough for the structural engineers to finally face reality and the university get serious enough to not have a joke of a grandstand.
I still think...there's no way they put in turf and lights...and DON'T do something about the stands.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I think there is more $$ committed than being told.
Certainly a lot of tailwind to start a fundraiser to demo and build east stands.
The state should just give them a couple of million.
No votes,no strings.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

To completely demolish and build a new East stands will cost at least 15 to 25 million.

When the time comes, do it right and not do a half ass upgrade that doesn't permanently fix the problems.

Complete replacement is the only way to go.
3 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

wow!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’d like to see the annual report from the building inspector on those stands.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:To completely demolish and build a new East stands will cost at least 15 to 25 million.

When the time comes, do it right and not do a half ass upgrade that doesn't permanently fix the problems.

Complete replacement is the only way to go.
I'm thinking...many would accept HAU...and that that would be better than what's there now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Half ass upgrade = lipstick on a pig.

Maybe they can put nets underneath the stands, so to catch people when those stands finally give way?

Just a thought......ha ha
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Half ass upgrade = lipstick on a pig.

Maybe they can put nets underneath the stands, so to catch people when those stands finally give way?

Just a thought......ha ha
^^ That....is a good one!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Do people honestly think the University is allowing the East stands to be used without assurances from structural engineers and inspectors?

They’re ugly but not unsafe. Why not just ask Thorr if they are safe. Maybe I will.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Do people honestly think the University is allowing the East stands to be used without assurances from structural engineers and inspectors?

They’re ugly but not unsafe. Why not just ask Thorr if they are safe. Maybe I will.
No. Because in-shurnce.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

I noticed the "includes" as well, but $4.1 million isn't enough to do lights, turf, and do any serious work on the East stands. Back in 2005+6 it cost us $2 million for our current scoreboard, the vinyl covering on the East bleachers and the 1400 seats on the West side.

The money doesn't really add up to me. They say this project will cost $4.1 million dollars, but they only show where $3.1 million is coming from. I wonder where the other $1 million is coming from. Also, I thought lights and turf was more of an approximately $2 million project, so what is the rest of the money going to? Seating in one of the end zones? Video scoreboard? And if they're doing stuff other than the lights and turf, why not mention it to build even more excitement?

The other thing I don't understand is the timeline. It would probably be too aggressive to get the lights and turf done before the season starts, but it's certainly doable, at least for the turf. I don't understand why it wouldn't be ready for next season though. It is taking us that long to secure the funding or are they hoping to fold this into a bigger overhaul?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Great news,heard it may have been more $$ donated?
Every CAA stadium has lights and a video scoreboard. We're one of two teams in the conference that plays on grass, Elon being the other. As another poster mentioned, this project merely brings us closer to the minimum standards necessary. Very good for us, but still much more is needed.

Redo the East stands so we have something that closely resembles the artist rendering that came out after the 2001 season? We'd probably be in the middle pack of stadiums in conference that are very good but can't match up with Bridgeforth down at James Madison. We would be better than Maine and probably on par with New Hampshire.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Fixing the stands has to be part of the whole lights/turf deal. It would be silly - and look silly - if it didn't. Can't imagine that wouldn't be a part of it. Would LOVE to see them get some outdoor concerts there. That would be awesome.
My concern with doing the lights before the East stands isn't so much that it will look silly, it's that we might either lock ourselves in to a certain footprint or we have to move the lighting fixtures, which would add to the cost of the renovation. That, plus the East stands aren't exactly structurally sound, so I'd prefer all available resources go to fixing them first, although I suppose those issues would speak to the be silly part. Alas, it's not my money, so I don't get to call those shots.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

R.Kelly150 wrote:Maybe it’s just a first step, but it’s better than nothing! Regardless the novelty of the first night football game at Meade will bring in a big crowd and with the good lords blessing let the east stands remain upright throughout the game...maybe they can just sag enough for the structural engineers to finally face reality and the university get serious enough to not have a joke of a grandstand.
I prefer afternoons for college football, but that first night game, and a max of one each season could be a lot of fun
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Do people honestly think the University is allowing the East stands to be used without assurances from structural engineers and inspectors?

I believe you've said yourself that you don't sit on the East side due to the condition of those stands.

I think it would be more illuminating to get the inspection records themselves rather than asking Thorr. Who is responsible for those inspections, the state, South Kingstown, or both?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In previous responses I tried to touch on distinct points that were brought up. Overall, I think these two families that donated deserve so much credit and thanks. The football program is in desperate need of momentum on and off the field, and this gets things rolling off the field. If Fleming holds up his end of the bargain and matches his deeds to his words, we should have our first winning season since 2001 this year, and then we'd really be getting somewhere.

This should help our men's club lacrosse team as soon as this is a reality, and would be huge for men's and women's lacrosse should we ever choose to make those varsity sports. Women's club lacrosse and club field hockey play in the fall, so I'm not sure how the overlap would work, but it should probably be useful to them as well once this is a reality, to say nothing for intramurals and hopefully concerts.

Hopefully this is just the start and we'll be sitting in a 10-14,000 seat Meade Stadium that is up to CAA standards in no time.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I sit on the west side for the shade.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Fixing the stands has to be part of the whole lights/turf deal. It would be silly - and look silly - if it didn't. Can't imagine that wouldn't be a part of it. Would LOVE to see them get some outdoor concerts there. That would be awesome.
My concern with doing the lights before the East stands isn't so much that it will look silly, it's that we might either lock ourselves in to a certain footprint or we have to move the lighting fixtures, which would add to the cost of the renovation. That, plus the East stands aren't exactly structurally sound, so I'd prefer all available resources go to fixing them first, although I suppose those issues would speak to the be silly part. Alas, it's not my money, so I don't get to call those shots.
I didn't mean look silly in just a 'look silly' 'appearance' kinda way (although, it would).
I more meant it would look silly in a "WTF are you thinking?!" kind of way.
1 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The money doesn't really add up to me. They say this project will cost $4.1 million dollars, but they only show where $3.1 million is coming from. I wonder where the other $1 million is coming from. Also, I thought lights and turf was more of an approximately $2 million project, so what is the rest of the money going to? Seating in one of the end zones? Video scoreboard? And if they're doing stuff other than the lights and turf, why not mention it to build even more excitement?

The other thing I don't understand is the timeline. It would probably be too aggressive to get the lights and turf done before the season starts, but it's certainly doable, at least for the turf. I don't understand why it wouldn't be ready for next season though. It is taking us that long to secure the funding or are they hoping to fold this into a bigger overhaul?
The way it has been explained to me, there is $3.1 raised, and there is about $1 million left to be raised. We are confident in the remaining money coming in. If it comes in soon enough, there is flexibility to have the turf and lights in by 2019. Obviously we prefer the earlier date, but it is contingent on securing the remaining funding.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you as always for the info
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Has a plan/blueprint for stands replacement been posted? If so I missed it. Linky?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Still think we should get out of the football business.

But if we're getting a new turf field anyway, any chance it could be colored Keaney Blue?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Still think we should get out of the football business.

But if we're getting a new turf field anyway, any chance it could be colored Keaney Blue?

That would be eye-popping in the daylight, to say the least.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... urf-fields
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RI Red-great idea on the Keaney Blue field.
Conversely-who cares what you think about dropping football!!
Go follow field hockey or intramurals-more your speed. Or a PC board-they don't have a FB team or baseball or much of anything, outside of hoops.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:RI Red-great idea on the Keaney Blue field.
Conversely-who cares what you think about dropping football!!
Go follow field hockey or intramurals-more your speed. Or a PC board-they don't have a FB team or baseball or much of anything, outside of hoops.
Looking forward to the upgrades - especially night football and concerts.

Seems like PC hockey may be doing ok? 5 NCAAs and a championship in the last 5 years. Decent run.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:But if we're getting a new turf field anyway, any chance it could be colored Keaney Blue?
That would SUCK
0 x