Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OBRAM wrote: 4 years ago IMG_1175[1].JPG
Visit to Meade today, 8/6/2019
Whoa! Looks like they built a serious curve into that thing....that is gonna be weird....
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks for on site recon.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Everyone always mentions the unsafe East Stands, but the University has had them checked and they are structurally sound. Imagine if there were any incident on them and the University either knew of the deficiency OR didn't take steps to discover a deficiency.

To me, either come up with hard evidence that they're "not safe" or stop mentioning it. Or just ask Thorr to vouch for their structural integrity.
My wife refuses to sit on that side because she feels like the whole thing will fall down.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I had a standing room only ticket for Homecoming last year and ended up standing at the walkway area between the scoreboard and the RC. I must say it was probably one of the best times I had, only because it's a good spot to run into people and you get a great view of the field.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tickets for Individual Games go on sale next Tuesday.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

URI96 wrote: 4 years agoMy wife refuses to sit on that side because she feels like the whole thing will fall down.
Mine gets nervous when she drives over the Jamestown and Newport bridges thinking they will fall down. What's your point other than it's irrational?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
URI96 wrote: 4 years agoMy wife refuses to sit on that side because she feels like the whole thing will fall down.
Mine gets nervous when she drives over the Jamestown and Newport bridges thinking they will fall down. What's your point other than it's irrational?
It's all about perception.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Eight wins would be special. Is it possible?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Yes,talent is there.
Schedule is daunting.
QB play will be key.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Is it just me or does the ProJO article have typical negative tone?
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

The projo is always negative about URI especially lil kevie.

I for one was unsure about Fleming but he is treading up and if the team can have another good season things will be much better.

8 wins will be tough but could be a possibility. Fans will definitely show up! Winning helps that.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Is it just me or does the ProJO article have typical negative tone?
I found the article to be positive or at the very least neutral.
Numerous quotes in the article
What did you read in the article that led you to feel that it had a negative tone? Anything specific? Or was it just overall?
I’m glad we got the article, felt if was a positive view of how far the program has come.
Interesting that Will Fleming recruited Perrantes heavily. Likely Perrantes will get a long look at the QB position.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Is it just me or does the ProJO article have typical negative tone?
I didn't think so. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been very much positive about Rhody football for a very long time. Hard to ignore that.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not sure where to put this, but recently saw some data on active social media accounts amongst FCS schools. Rhody is ranking in the top 10 of all programs in terms of eyeballs reached, likes/shares, retweets, etc. Punching way above our weight based on our on field success but a heckuva job by the football marketing folks. They put out great content and do a better job than the basketball marketing team IMO.
6 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Not sure where to put this, but recently saw some data on active social media accounts amongst FCS schools. Rhody is ranking in the top 10 of all programs in terms of eyeballs reached, likes/shares, retweets, etc. Punching way above our weight based on our on field success but a heckuva job by the football marketing folks. They put out great content and do a better job than the basketball marketing team IMO.
Without a doubt. Much better than basketball.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Hoops did away with golf tourney.
Didn't need it.
The golf tourney really helped football.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

OK Adam-in an article about fund-raising,here is what is said." after years of awful finishes and apathetic support on campus and around the state".
The "state" does nothing for URI under any circumstances-just being negative. Nor do most states for their schools. The state has no foundation to complain from. The campus (students) gave $2M (?) to this project. If that's apathy,maybe we need more of it. Student support is an issue almost everywhere including Alabama.
https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/alcom ... f_bla.html. Projo tries to make it look like its isolated at Kingston.
At end of article on funding he refers to "scorn and apathy" do to losing record. The funding came in when the team was losing not winning !! Lazy research.
2 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Not sure where to put this, but recently saw some data on active social media accounts amongst FCS schools. Rhody is ranking in the top 10 of all programs in terms of eyeballs reached, likes/shares, retweets, etc. Punching way above our weight based on our on field success but a heckuva job by the football marketing folks. They put out great content and do a better job than the basketball marketing team IMO.
The credit for the social media work should go to former punter Anthony Garro. He is an absolute star with regard to video/graphic design, most of which has been self-taught. Anthony is an incredibly hard worker, and he has off-the-chart talent.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Shane-does he work for the athletic dept. now?
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

He was an intern with me as an undergraduate student, and is currently doing the work as a volunteer for the football program.

There are efforts in motion to try and secure part-time pay. He wants to build his portfolio, which is already an impressive body of work.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully we can keep him around....if no pay then someone else who can pay him will notice, and we'll lose him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
I didn't think so. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been very much positive about Rhody football for a very long time. Hard to ignore that.
Agree. I couldn't read it at first (exceeded my article limit and I'm NOT giving them any $$ or my email address) but yesterdauy they were giving away free copies at S & S in Richmond. Seemed like a positive article, neutral at worst. Rhody is probably (should be) glad it's there.

Speaking of newspapers...has to be a tough sell these days. Just started getting WSJ (straggler airline miles) but sometimes a day or two gets by without reading it.. Guy giving the papers away was offering a trial for $9/month...which is hardly anything...but...who needs it?
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I missed this gem-"Winning excites donors" -really a couple of 2 win and (1) 3 win season led to the funds being raised?
If the team won 0 games would they then get $10M ??
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago I missed this gem-"Winning excites donors" -really a couple of 2 win and (1) 3 win season led to the funds being raised?
They found some major donors who wanted the football emphasis - perhaps tired of the talk of getting rid of the football team? or realized that the only way to get where they want to go is some program enhancements?
However, if you want to consistently excite donors and empty their pockets, of course winning matters.
Getting those two families to donate $1 million each is a major accomplishment, but not a long-term vision.
You can't rely on the same 4-5 people every time you need money -- If 6K football fans donate $100 each, that is $600K.
If 6k donate $500 each, that is nearly the cost for the entire project -- that is how you build long-term.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Agree. I couldn't read it at first (exceeded my article limit and I'm NOT giving them any $$ or my email address) but yesterdauy they were giving away free copies at S & S in Richmond. Seemed like a positive article, neutral at worst. Rhody is probably (should be) glad it's there.

Speaking of newspapers...has to be a tough sell these days. Just started getting WSJ (straggler airline miles) but sometimes a day or two gets by without reading it.. Guy giving the papers away was offering a trial for $9/month...which is hardly anything...but...who needs it?
I had also exceeded my article limit, but figured out a workaround of using a different browser. On my phone I'll go from Chrome to Safari, and on my laptop from Chrome to Firefox. Works like a charm.

The statement on apathetic support from "around the state" makes me laugh. We can all agree that there are so many people in this state that are bandwagon Fryah fans, do we REALLY think we're going to get support from those types of people for Rhody Football? Jeez Louise!
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe it’s just the angle, but that rock retaining wall looks awfully close to the end zone.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago I missed this gem-"Winning excites donors" -really a couple of 2 win and (1) 3 win season led to the funds being raised?
They found some major donors who wanted the football emphasis - perhaps tired of the talk of getting rid of the football team? or realized that the only way to get where they want to go is some program enhancements?
However, if you want to consistently excite donors and empty their pockets, of course winning matters.
Getting those two families to donate $1 million each is a major accomplishment, but not a long-term vision.
You can't rely on the same 4-5 people every time you need money -- If 6K football fans donate $100 each, that is $600K.
If 6k donate $500 each, that is nearly the cost for the entire project -- that is how you build long-term.
Looking at two Million Dollar Gift Horse Donations in the Mouth
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago OK Adam-in an article about fund-raising,here is what is said." after years of awful finishes and apathetic support on campus and around the state".
The "state" does nothing for URI under any circumstances-just being negative. Nor do most states for their schools. The state has no foundation to complain from. The campus (students) gave $2M (?) to this project. If that's apathy,maybe we need more of it. Student support is an issue almost everywhere including Alabama.
https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/alcom ... f_bla.html. Projo tries to make it look like its isolated at Kingston.
At end of article on funding he refers to "scorn and apathy" do to losing record. The funding came in when the team was losing not winning !! Lazy research.
Apathetic support on campus and around the state refers to attendance, not donations.
Until last season the Football Team has faced apathy. Many posters here questioned the Football programs very existence

Key moves were when we reversed the decision to join the NEC and remain in the A10 plus the investments in Field and Lights
Lawson proved to be an excellent QB and helped lead the team last season
Talk of dropping the Football program has subsided
Football is looking better and better to where the negativity has diminished.

Fans are coming back
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Delaware game will be sold out.
What's amazing is there was chatter of dropping the program,now there is a major stadium renovation.
Might as well call it a new stadium.
I am with Taylor-who cares what the state thinks. They literally don't do anything.
State=media,politicians,tax payers.
FB supporters/school=students,donors,faculty,ticket holders.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If URI continues to build the football brand, the state will catch the fever. Its arguably the most popular sport in the country right now. FCS or not, its great to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if some PC fans attended games.
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PC fans I know go to Brown games.... figures.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Looking at two Million Dollar Gift Horse Donations in the Mouth
Whose questioning? It’s great that they stepped up and did what they need to to help the program. But they aren’t going to bail out every situation. With success becomes more consistent donations which makes it easier to fund such projects. That was in response to “winning excites donors.” It does.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Delaware game will be sold out.
What's amazing is there was chatter of dropping the program,now there is a major stadium renovation.
Might as well call it a new stadium.
I am with Taylor-who cares what the state thinks. They literally don't do anything.
State=media,politicians,tax payers.
FB supporters/school=students,donors,faculty,ticket holders.
URI will open a new Engineering this fall thanks to Taxpayers who voted for the proposal.

URI fans were apathetic to football in a big way. Many wanted the program scraped and the money moved to Basketball, or Hockey or other places.

Key was our AD reversing his original decision to move to the NEC. Very good move on his part as this could have been a disaster

2nd key was when our AD clarified that Football was not going to be dropped. He said he and the University were committed to FCS Football

Those two proclamations by our AD and supported by our President went a long way towards reversing the drop the program people.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago OK Adam-in an article about fund-raising,here is what is said." after years of awful finishes and apathetic support on campus and around the state".
Apathetic support on campus and around the state refers to attendance, not donations.
Until last season the Football Team has faced apathy. Many posters here questioned the Football programs very existence
Last year still showed how apathetic our fan base is towards football. The last game of the season, our first chance for a winning record in over a decade, had a crowd of 3012. According to the box score the weather was sunny and in the mid 40s so I'm not sure what the excuses are.

Unless there's some URI football forum I'm not aware of just look at how much talk goes on about football on this board. Most people I know root for the team to do well since it's URI but the feeling seems to be more along the lines of "well it'd be cool if the football team isn't an embarrassment this year" rather than actually caring about the team being good.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago If URI continues to build the football brand, the state will catch the fever. Its arguably the most popular sport in the country right now. FCS or not, its great to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if some PC fans attended games.
The URI facility is very nice (compared to in-state opponents like Brown or Bryant), and has only been improved with the new upgrades. But unless someone really cares about the team, the tickets are rather expensive.

Just for giggles went on the website - looked up 4 tickets to Stony Brook. Tried to select 4 tickets for East GA, but the system keeps changing it to the West Club, so not sure if sold out in those sections? I'm not sure, but anyways 4 tickets West Club is $142.

That's a big number (although good for the school if the East stands are already sold out). You can go on the BC Eagles website and get in the door there for $170 for 4 tickets to see them play Virginia Tech.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In looking at the photos of the new field, I do not see the lighting stanchions. Will the first night game on Sept. 7 be handled via portable light sources or will a permanent installation be in place by then?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

URI will open a new Engineering this fall thanks to Taxpayers who voted for the proposal
I did not know the engineering dept. was part of the athletic program.
It was the charismatic Ray Wright and the football donors who got the ball rolling on the engineering building.
Ray made impassioned plea for support prior to one of Albany games early on in Flemings era.
You probably were not there as no donor invite?
The $$ came from a bond referendum and paid thru tax dollars. That's like a group of people going to dinner and wondering if there is going to be a bill in the end.

Why didn't the state just give URI the money?
It's their building.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The last game of the season, our first chance for a winning record in over a decade, had a crowd of 3012.

Maybe they save their $$ and went to the Mayors cup (1133 people).
Joe-student attendance and affordability is an issue everywhere.
Do you donate or hold season tix? Or just singling URI FB out for criticism.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago In looking at the photos of the new field, I do not see the lighting stanchions. Will the first night game on Sept. 7 be handled via portable light sources or will a permanent installation be in place by then?
The fans will be given flashlights and directed on how/when to use them.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago In looking at the photos of the new field, I do not see the lighting stanchions. Will the first night game on Sept. 7 be handled via portable light sources or will a permanent installation be in place by then?
I was there last week. The concrete bases are there. I saw them from the road on the left side of the field (East Stands)
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The lights are laying down in one of the pictures.
It never crossed my mind that there would be a delay.
Obadiah -who is your source?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I wasn't suggesting a delay and have no source. I was only asking a question since my view is only through the photos provided in this thread. With the game only 16 days away I would think the lighting poles would be up by now.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

this is the first i heard of it.
Surprised it has not come up elsewhere.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

STC wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe it’s just the angle, but that rock retaining wall looks awfully close to the end zone.
I thought the same thing, and thought just an angle thing as well, but after reading your comment I looked at the photo more closely and the lines and dotted lines on the field can give perspective, it does look like the back corner of the end zone is about 6 or 7 yards from the wall, that's pretty close at full speed.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm happy about the upgrades but I agree with whomever it was that mentioned the look of the fencing. The "stadium" still looks like a HS field with it's chain links all around it. A couple of sets of stands, a little press box and a score board surrounded by a fence. It looks like Middletown HS field with the URI logo at mid-field and Rhode Island in the end zone. Many of the HS fields in RI have turf, lights and seat 4-5k. It would be great if they could make Mead facility look like an actual stadium. Having said all that, still grateful for the upgrades and the yurview/ESPN+ coverage.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I thought the exact same thing about the chain link fencing giving the impression of a high school field. At least one end zone needs to be encapsulated with stands to create a true stadium feel.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I wasn't suggesting a delay and have no source. I was only asking a question since my view is only through the photos provided in this thread. With the game only 16 days away I would think the lighting poles would be up by now.
1 x