Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Heckuva nucleus for 22-23 if no one leaves.
Very few of the players listed for 22-23 will be here unless they are getting 10+ mins/game in 20-21. The ties they have to URI is measured in playing minutes. This is the era of the Athlete-Student, not Student-Athlete.
Not necessarily....

Martin had 35.3 mpg
Toppin has 18.6 mpg as a freshman
Long had 14.8 mpg as a freshman

All well above 10 mpg with Martin and Toppin both slated for starting positions in 2020-21.

Toppin wanted more minutes than he was getting and Long also thought he should have been playing more.

With the ability to transfer easily now, plus the Grad Student transfer policy remaining in place we will see more transfers.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago 4 of those 22-24 players cannot leave without sitting a year. It is the added benefit of our transfer misfortunes this year.
Not necessarily, if Carey and AB receive their degree they can transfer without sitting, no penalty (same with the twins a year later). Also with this year not counting against eligibility, there will be much speculation if players decide to stay an additional year.
Good point. At least we are good with those guys for next year!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm not sure how much sitting out a year is a disincentive to someone who is unlikely to be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick after graduation. Jacob and Tyrese certainly thought they would be sitting our a year when they transferred to more high profile programs.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think all transfers knew the NCAA was going to grant all waiver requests
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I think all transfers knew the NCAA was going to grant all waiver requests
It was very unclear at the time of there departures, there was no certainty.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DevRam wrote: 3 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I think all transfers knew the NCAA was going to grant all waiver requests
It was very unclear at the time of there departures, there was no certainty.
It wasn’t clear. Toppin did not even apply for the waiver until recently. He was planning on sitting out the year. Similar for many players who applied for their waivers late. Goodine, Croswell and being examples at PC who applied late after seeing so many getting approved.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It was clear to me.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Stop worrying about who’s going to be here. Take it one year at a time. Enjoy the talent Cox & Co have accumulated. Should be fun.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated Scholarship Grid with 21-22 roster. Lots of unknowns so some projections included.
Attachments
RhodyGrid22.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Updated Scholarship Grid with 21-22 roster. Lots of unknowns so some projections included.
Extremely difficult to project, with this year not counting against eligibility. Especially next year with all our seniors and the next several years not knowing how many scholarships will be available.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Stop worrying about who’s going to be here. Take it one year at a time. Enjoy the talent Cox & Co have accumulated. Should be fun.
Update: it was not fun.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Updated Scholarship Grid with 21-22 roster. Lots of unknowns so some projections included.
Extremely difficult to project, with this year not counting against eligibility. Especially next year with all our seniors and the next several years not knowing how many scholarships will be available.
The free year is so weird for planning beyond next year. It is possible we bring back the entire same squad for two years in a row with a 24 year old DJ and Antoine playing against 18 year olds.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
The free year is so weird for planning beyond next year. It is possible we bring back the entire same squad for two years in a row with a 24 year old DJ and Antoine playing against 18 year olds.
Lol great point.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
It really isn't that weird. The players got what they wanted. Immediate eligibility. That means players are going to be asked to transfer or get brizzed. So teams can bring in better talent eligible immediately.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Shep return and Ish El-Amin commit.
Attachments
9090D2EF-9941-4145-A777-43725E4C3BAF.png
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Updated with Shep return and Ish El-Amin commit.
The only 2 players on their last year of eligibility this upcoming season are Sheppard and El-Amin. Why are the Mitchell Twins being tracked differently? Last season did not count as a year of eligibility for anyone. There should be no need to differentiate for a player who was injured during the 20-21 season. A tracker with remaining eligibility might be more useful at this point. Ish Leggett has as much eligibility left as the freshman who just practiced last season and the incoming freshman.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will we lose a transfer out either Carey or JH ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Updated with Shep return and Ish El-Amin commit.
I applaud you CamsRams for trying to keep up with the tracker, but it is a difficult task considering this past season doesn't count towards eligibility.

Everyone gets a mulligan and next year's returning seniors will count against the scholarship limit.

This can be a recruiting nightmare with the early signing period in November.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Thanks all. Will adjust.

I’ve been making some assumptions.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Maybe tracking eligibility years and original graduation year would make sense? Some of the guys who transferred in may be able to grad transfer without sitting a year due to the extra year. It’s a total mess. DJ is in his 5th year with the redshirt last year, but with the extra year can play a 6th but who knows if he will. Jalen is a “senior” but has 2 years after this season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Stop worrying about who’s going to be here. Take it one year at a time. Enjoy the talent Cox & Co have accumulated. Should be fun.
Update: it was not fun.
How 'bout now?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I think that since we won't know who is going to take the NCAA up on the extra year offer and who won't, we keep them in the list as if they won't until they do?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Can I be so forward as to ask the creator to update the Scholarship tracker now that DJ is gone and we have a new Ish, Abdou and Ileri to add?
Please and thanks!
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Can I be so forward as to ask the creator to update the Scholarship tracker now that DJ is gone and we have a new Ish, Abdou and Ileri to add?
Please and thanks!
MY BAD! Just saw the updated one...just need to remove DJ. Looks like 1 scholarship available for this year as long as everyone is returning.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

See attached with DJ moving into the portal.
Attachments
401D3500-FEDA-42E5-A2D4-FB0714F96A33.png
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Bassy commit and Harris transfer. Also aligned to Rhody MBB 21-22 roster for class to better reflect eligibility.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Who is Bassy???
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Sebastian Thomas.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Updated with Bassy commit and Harris transfer. Also aligned to Rhody MBB 21-22 roster for class to better reflect eligibility.
Is the grade level correct here? Don’t understand how ish would be a freshmen
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Updated with Bassy commit and Harris transfer. Also aligned to Rhody MBB 21-22 roster for class to better reflect eligibility.
Is the grade level correct here? Don’t understand how ish would be a freshmen
Looking at it, I think it is based on seasons eligible, which now incudes the additional year and assuming those players return.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I noticed...if we do sign 2 more players for this year's roster, that puts us one over for next year. So, one of the potential signees would have to be a 5th year senior, or....somebody else on the current roster would have to leave before next season ('22-'23).
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I noticed...if we do sign 2 more players for this year's roster, that puts us one over for next year. So, one of the potential signees would have to be a 5th year senior, or....somebody else on the current roster would have to leave before next season ('22-'23).
Correct, that is why they will be very selective if they decide to add another player this year.

If Martin, AB, and Walker all come back 22-23, that only leaves one opening.

Of course this assumes there wouldn't be any departures, which probably isn't likely.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I count 12 scholarship players this year. Why are there still 2 open ones?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Sheppard technically doesn’t count.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago
I assume that's because of the 'free year'? So, does that apply to only players that are seniors this year? That wouldn't mean that Betrand, Martin and Walker don't count next year, does it? This 'free year' thing is really confusing.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I assume that's because of the 'free year'? So, does that apply to only players that are seniors this year? That wouldn't mean that Betrand, Martin and Walker don't count next year, does it? This 'free year' thing is really confusing.
My understanding is that it’s only for the 21-22 season for those senior-type players that took the extra year at the same school. If a player transferred to take the extra year, like Fatts or El-Amin, the scholarship counts.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Correct and will change the grade/class to Years of Eligibility on the Grid to clarify.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Years of Eligibility (vs Class Year).

I don't believe Illeri and Tres Red Shirt year are officially labeled as such due to free Covid year. Anybody know? Also, I'd imagine AB redshirts but we don't know for sure yet.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Updated with Years of Eligibility (vs Class Year).

I don't believe Illeri and Tres Red Shirt year are officially labeled as such due to free Covid year. Anybody know? Also, I'd imagine AB redshirts but we don't know for sure yet.
URI official roster says “Did not appear in any games/Red shirted”
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That looks like Betrand in the lower left pic in the dark t-shirt with a ball in his hands.

0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Would be great to see him make a full, rapid recovery. Would be tough to come back from that injury in time for the start of the season though.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with AB (assumed) redshirt and Bassy joining team this year for redshirt.
Attachments
54748710-4818-4CF3-A640-CE369943627F.png
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated Grid for 22-23 Season:
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My guess is there will be more than a few openings for next season.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is we lose 6 players.

My guesses to stay:

Martin
Walker
Betrand
Carey
Leggett
Thomas
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My guess is you can take Chance S off the grid
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

If Leggett stays I’ll be shocked but you never know 🤷‍♂️
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Chance decommit, Martin/Walker/Leggett & Berry transfers. Who's next?
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Updated with Chance decommit, Martin/Walker/Leggett & Berry transfers. Who's next?
So we lose 4 players and 25 pts? Says it all.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The new coach might need to recruit an entirely new team.

Now that's wacked.....
0 x