Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I just got a new pair of Addidas just in case they need an extra for pick up games in Kingston until we sign another guard or two. No fast breaking, though; just walk the ball up play because my running and jumping days are over. :lol:

I’ll call Archie and drop Rhody Vault’s name to see if I am good to go.
Hmmm....I dunno...that running and jumping thing seems like a red flag. Would you go into a funk if you were benched for failure to run/jump?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I just got a new pair of Addidas just in case they need an extra for pick up games in Kingston until we sign another guard or two. No fast breaking, though; just walk the ball up play because my running and jumping days are over. :lol:

Hmmm....I dunno...that running and jumping thing seems like a red flag. Would you go into a funk if you were benched for failure to run/jump?

I want my minutes!

Btw….is it okay if playing D is optional ? Asking for a friend.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I want my minutes!

Btw….is it okay if playing D is optional ? Asking for a friend.
I hope so ...I was going to play, too....but not if there is D required
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As long as I can have a chair for times when opponents have the ball, I'll play as a designated shooter.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

72. Do you remember when the NBA allowed a player on the bench to come in to shoot a technical foul. The ultimate job!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You can be our glue guy like TJ Bucanon and Stan Robinson
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I seem to remember Stan playing some D though? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I seem to remember Stan playing some D though? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
I think Drums said he’s a better defender than he is a shooter ??
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated with Bassy in Transfer Portal:
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Did we hit 50% yet???
Maybe 75%
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Lets start filling up those spots with high level recruits/transfers!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Wow! I didn’t expect Bassy to be in the portal. Must be a lot of potential movement behind the scenes that will dramatically squeeze his playing time, is my guess.

If I am correct in that guess, then Archie and staff must be confident in landing some significant backcourt upgrades. I am getting stoked!! Let’s gooooooooooo!

If Bassy does leave, I wish him the very best and I hope he lands in a good spot with a good coach. He could be a solid college player in the right spot.

Go Rhody!
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Sorry, clear the scholarship tracker. We are starting at zero or keep the 2 incoming freshman
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, clear the scholarship tracker. We are starting at zero or keep the 2 incoming freshman
Woo hoo! Go Rhody!!!!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated:

-Tyson Brown commitment w/2 years of eligibility
-Louis Hutchinson removed
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Updated:

-Tyson Brown commitment w/2 years of eligibility
-Louis Hutchinson removed

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
Oh no first I have heard about Sweet Lou
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Jaden House commit.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Jalen Carey entering transfer portal.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just looking at this tracker it doesn't have the same meaning anymore in this day and age of the portal.
Especially for schools like us and the present-day NCAA.

We used to be concerned about balancing out the classes, but why anymore?

I know Blueram wants us to get 4* recruits like E.C. and Jared and be the building blocks for the future.
Will that really happen anymore?
If these high ranked players come-in and have a huge immediate impact, what are the chances of them actually sticking around?

In today's atmosphere maybe just find the best players available regardless of their class and take one year at a time and only be concerned with the upcoming season.

It is harder and harder for fans to stayed engaged with their teams and players, with all this constant turnover.
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, this. Well said.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Just looking at this tracker it doesn't have the same meaning anymore in this day and age of the portal.

I know Blueram wants us to get 4* recruits like E.C. and Jared and be the building blocks for the future.
If these high ranked players come-in and have a huge immediate impact, what are the chances of them actually sticking around?

In today's atmosphere maybe just find the best players available regardless of their class and take one year at a time and only be concerned with the upcoming season.

It is harder and harder for fans to stayed engaged with their teams and players, with all this constant turnover.
In the past you had said Miller was of the long term build philosophy primarily with Freshmen and Transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility remaining.
Do you think Miller has changed that philosophy?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Just looking at this tracker it doesn't have the same meaning anymore in this day and age of the portal.

Yeah it's fair. I think you have to start to hope for a "core" of players - like 3 or so, who you can get to stay for 2-3 years.

Look at what UConn did. They returned 3 starters in Jackson, Hawkins, and Sanogo.

They started 1 true freshman, and had another true freshman giving them major minutes off the bench.

They went and got 1 starting transfer, and had 3 other transfers in their rotation. Of their national championship squad, they had 3 players that were there last year.

Archie is trying to find that "core" of guys, and build from there.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I for one, hope so. Regarding Archie changing his philosophy.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

In the past you had said Miller was of the long term build philosophy primarily with Freshmen and Transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility remaining.
Do you think Miller has changed that philosophy?
I think he has, because he is now offering several grad-transfers.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah it's fair. I think you have to start to hope for a "core" of players - like 3 or so, who you can get to stay for 2-3 years.

Look at what UConn did. They returned 3 starters in Jackson, Hawkins, and Sanogo.

They started 1 true freshman, and had another true freshman giving them major minutes off the bench.

They went and got 1 starting transfer, and had 3 other transfers in their rotation. Of their national championship squad, they had 3 players that were there last year.

Archie is trying to find that "core" of guys, and build from there.
I hope we can find that core group, just getting more difficult.
UConn has the ability to attract a higher level of talent.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Evolve or be left behind. But, I still don’t like it, as now not only do you have to be concerned that the coach will leave, now you have to worry about the players too! It is making it harder to form a connection, I guess you just enjoy the moment because it may not last long. I hope that after next season when the COVID extra year ends this will calm down a bit.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Of VCU's top five in minutes played this year, four were HS recruits. The fifth was a grad transfer from Michigan that had been averaging 13 MPG there. Dayton's top six in minutes played featured one transfer, from Georgia, and this is his second year at the program. Hell, even UConn, their top six in minutes played had "only" two transfers. Recruiting talent out of high school remains the best way to get top-tier players.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Of VCU's top five in minutes played this year, four were HS recruits. The fifth was a grad transfer from Michigan that had been averaging 13 MPG there. Dayton's top six in minutes played featured one transfer, from Georgia, and this is his second year at the program. Hell, even UConn, their top six in minutes played had "only" two transfers. Recruiting talent out of high school remains the best way to get top-tier players.
Well yes, of course we still have to recruit HS/Prep even just to maintain contacts and pipelines.

Let's just see how many of the really good ones will actually stick around for 4 years.
They should chart the impact before and after NIL and transfer rule changes.

With all that said, I hope Foumena, Rory, Dubs, and Cam have a long and very successful career here at Rhody.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Well yes, of course we still have to recruit HS/Prep even just to maintain contacts and pipelines.

Let's just see how many of the really good ones will actually stick around for 4 years.

With all that said, I hope Foumena, Rory, Dubs, and Cam have a long and very successful career here at Rhody.
Weston is more likely to be here for 4 years than any of those guys, simply because he'd have to sit a year if he transfers.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

if you look at the grid from 2 years ago there is not one player who was listed as 23-24 still on the team. Sad...
Turnover will continue each year
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago if you look at the grid from 2 years ago there is not one player who was listed as 23-24 still on the team. Sad...
Yeah, but we've sucked. When you underperform in any field, you expect roster or personnel turnover.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Weston is more likely to be here for 4 years than any of those guys, simply because he'd have to sit a year if he transfers.
Yes, kind of my original point.
Plus he already sat his first season at SH.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago if you look at the grid from 2 years ago there is not one player who was listed as 23-24 still on the team. Sad...
Wait I thought some people said there was nothing wrong with the “new college basketball.” The game is as good as it has ever been-lol
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with wing Zek Montgomery commit
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looking good , hopefully Foumena is really good and Bilat should be full strength by Jan 1, 24 ??
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The 24-25 season could be very interesting if this team stays and grows together.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Luis Kortright commit.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Will be interesting to see what they do with the final 2 spots.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I will say that this team feels older than last year, which was the goal. At the same time every player so far has 2 years left. Great roster construction, build up the floor this year and retain players for next year when the expectations should be much higher.

Even without seeing the last 2 recruits I expect better results with this team next year, seems to be more thoughtfully put together than just randomly grabbing P5 underused players.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I like the improvements of the roster so far and am expecting a much better product on the floor
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Current roster spots to start the season:

PG- Luis K/ Cam
CG- House/ Dubs
SF/Wing - Weston/ Zek
PF - Rory/ Alex
C - Brown/ Foumena

IR- Bilau (C)

Can go smaller with both Weston and Zek starting at forward.

Maybe freshmen Cam and Foumena really impress and eventually start.
Hopefully with the remaining spots we can trade up.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t see Alex as a 4 on the depth chart based on the skills he showed this year. If he can face up and hit shots from beyond 5 feet then sure but until then in my book he’s a 5. You can’t have a 4 that isn’t effective outside 10 feet or you end up with the lane clog we had with the twins on the floor together.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I don’t see Alex as a 4 on the depth chart based on the skills he showed this year. If he can face up and hit shots from beyond 5 feet then sure but until then in my book he’s a 5. You can’t have a 4 that isn’t effective outside 10 feet or you end up with the lane clog we had with the twins on the floor together.
Alex never really played the 5 until last season by default.
He said he was just starting to learn that position.
As a matter of fact, he always said he was most comfortable at the wing

Once Bilau comes back that gives us 3 centers not counting Alex.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I don’t see Alex as a 4 on the depth chart based on the skills he showed this year. If he can face up and hit shots from beyond 5 feet then sure but until then in my book he’s a 5. You can’t have a 4 that isn’t effective outside 10 feet or you end up with the lane clog we had with the twins on the floor together.

That might be true but a college 4 has to be able to stretch outside to the 3 point line. I don’t see that from Alex. Or maybe he will come back a different player. But right now as a college player he hasn’t shown that ability.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

That might be true but a college 4 has to be able to stretch outside to the 3 point line. I don’t see that from Alex. Or maybe he will come back a different player. But right now as a college player he hasn’t shown that ability.
He does have good ball skills, not sure how good his mid-range game is.
Alex does have athletic ability but still very raw.
Every tape I have seen from him, including our games, he doesn't look like a true center.

At this point Buru would be an upgrade.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe go with the double big of Jeremy and Tyson , it was reported by some that Jeremy can shoot the 15 footer which would allow for Tyson to score down low and rebound
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Current roster spots to start the season:

PG- Luis K/ Cam
CG- House/ Dubs
SF/Wing - Weston/ Zek
PF - Rory/ Alex
C - Brown/ Foumena

IR- Bilau (C)

Can go smaller with both Weston and Zek starting at forward.

Maybe freshmen Cam and Foumena really impress and eventually start.
Hopefully with the remaining spots we can trade up.
Weston needs to make significant improvement to be a starter on this team.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Removed Alex Tchikou - transfer portal

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »