‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (URI verbal ---> Loyola Marymount ---> Maryland)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (Rhode Island commit)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Reasons the level of excitement on recruits is down from prior years:
1) The team had a losing season last year and has been trending down for 3 years.
2) The transfer rule has changed the importance of recruiting HS/preps. It is a 1 yr commitment. More attention on transfer recruiting.
3) The HC only has 2 years left on his contract and could be gone after this yr so no recruit if firm until the coach is.

I really like Chance. He is a scorer. Had some great games for his HS team this year.
He verbally committed before his Jr year which can take some of the buzz away from recruiting attention overall.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Reasons the level of excitement on recruits is down from prior years:
1) The team had a losing season last year and has been trending down for 3 years.
2) The transfer rule has changed the importance of recruiting HS/preps. It is a 1 yr commitment. More attention on transfer recruiting.
3) The HC only has 2 years left on his contract and could be gone after this yr so no recruit if firm until the coach is.

I really like Chance. He is a scorer. Had some great games for his HS team this year.
He verbally committed before his Jr year which can take some of the buzz away from recruiting attention overall.
I hope he's good, but HC position has evolved to include significant GM duties. Why take a flyer on a frosh, when you can get a proven transfer?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Reasons the level of excitement on recruits is down from prior years:

I hope he's good, but HC position has evolved to include significant GM duties. Why take a flyer on a frosh, when you can get a proven transfer?
Because the best players still typically join a program as a freshman, and most of the best players aren't transferring if they're getting minutes at a program. I'm saying "most" to acknowledge that some are going to transfer, whether as an undergrad or grad transfer, but most players who are excelling and winning games stay at their program. None of the six members of the All-A10 first team were transfers, and only two are transferring AFAIK. One is Tre Mitchell, who certainly has a unique situation going on with his basketball career. Kellen Grady is a grad transfer and already gave Davidson four years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Because the best players still typically join a program as a freshman, and most of the best players aren't transferring if they're getting minutes at a program. I'm saying "most" to acknowledge that some are going to transfer, whether as an undergrad or grad transfer, but most players who are excelling and winning games stay at their program. None of the six members of the All-A10 first team were transfers, and only two are transferring AFAIK. One is Tre Mitchell, who certainly has a unique situation going on with his basketball career. Kellen Grady is a grad transfer and already gave Davidson four years.
I'm thinking that is shifting...would be interesting to see a year by year total number of transfers after freshman year...
Too lazy to look that up, but I do believe... the times, they are a-changing...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm thinking that is shifting...would be interesting to see a year by year total number of transfers after freshman year...
Too lazy to look that up, but I do believe... the times, they are a-changing...
Yes changing a lot
Look at A10 All Conference 2021:
  • 2 of 5 Rookie Team go to Marquette and Texas A&M
  • 3 5th year players go to Maryland, SMU and Kentucky
  • 1 player goes nba after 2 years
  • 3 players transfer to Texas, Minnesota and Miami
  • 3 players not returning even though 5th year offered
Tough to drive interest in College Basketball with such turnover of A10 All Conference Players and likely to get worse as non P5 teams become feeders to P5 Football 🏈 Cartel Organizations.

In Red are A10 All Conference or All Rookie Players Announced Transferring for 2021-22 Season or leaving early for NBA - So Far

All-Conference First Team
Kellan Grady, Davidson 5th year - Kentucky
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton - not returning for 5th year - Pro
Tre Mitchell, UMASS - Texas
Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure
Jordan Goodwin, SLU - not returning for 5th year - Pro
Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland, VCU - Left early NBA Draft

All-Conference Second Team
Marcus Weathers, Duquesne 5th year - SMU
Blake Francis, Richmond - returning 5th year
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond - returning 5th year
Jaren Holmes, St. Bonaventure
Osun Osunniyi St. Bonaventure
Javonte Perkins, SLU

All-Conference Third Team
Ibi Watson, Dayton - not returning 5th year - Pro
Jordan Miller, George Mason - Miami
Jamison Battle, GW - Minnesota
Fatts Russell, URI 5th year - Maryland
Grant Golden, Richmond - returning 5th year
Vince Williams, VCU

All-Rookie Team
Mustapha Amzil, Dayton
Tyler Kolek, George Mason - Marquette
Jhamir Brickus, La Salle
Jordan Hall, Saint Joseph’s - Texas A&M
Adrian Baldwin, Jr., VCU
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Thanks for doing the full legwork, since I wasn't willing to. But of the 15 players on All-A10 teams, three are non-grad transfers - hardly seems like an epidemic. I think losing two of five from the rookie team is more worrisome, but even that has extenuating circumstances - George Mason fired their coach, and St. Joe's has won 11 games in two years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think it's an epidemic, because that would be really bad/detrimental...it's just a fact...things are changing.
20% of the top players in the conference were non-grad transfers and 33% of All A10 overall transferred.
And just for fun, 40% of the All Frosh team transferred.

Do we really think recruiting freshman is going to pay off better than trying to recruit transfers like those listed in red above?

Do we have a freshman incoming, that we think will be better than anyone above in red?
Bigger question, if any do become as good as those players, will they still be here by the time they do?
Maybe...but I'd rather take my chances with transfers...we'll probably get to the point where good transfers will log more years here than good freshman...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think it's an epidemic, because that would be really bad/detrimental...it's just a fact...things are changing.
20% of the top players in the conference were non-grad transfers and 33% of All A10 overall transferred.

Do we really think recruiting freshman is going to pay off better than trying to recruit transfers like those listed in red above?

Do we have a freshman incoming, that we think will be better than anyone above in red?
Bigger question, if any do become as good as those players, will they still be here by the time they do?
Maybe...but I'd rather take my chances with transfers...we'll probably get to the point where good transfers will log more years here than good freshman...
Of the 15 players on first, second and third teams, were any of them transfers? Admittedly, I wasn't able to follow as much college hoops this past year - partly because I was busy, partly because I lost interest as the team's quality degraded. Maybe things will be different in the next few years, as the percent of transfers increases. But I still think you're more likely to get an All-A10 level player by recruiting them as a freshman, vs. the transfer market.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think it's an epidemic, because that would be really bad/detrimental...it's just a fact...things are changing.

Of the 15 players on first, second and third teams, were any of them transfers? Admittedly, I wasn't able to follow as much college hoops this past year - partly because I was busy, partly because I lost interest as the team's quality degraded. Maybe things will be different in the next few years, as the percent of transfers increases. But I still think you're more likely to get an All-A10 level player by recruiting them as a freshman, vs. the transfer market.
Perkins came from JUCO, Watson from Michigan, and Francis from Wagner.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That last statement is an interesting one...will be interesting to track over the next few...
Looking at next year...IF Rhody was to have an All A10 player next year, seems more likely it'd be a transfer than not?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That last statement is an interesting one...will be interesting to track over the next few...
Looking at next year...IF Rhody was to have an All A10 player next year, seems more likely it'd be a transfer than not?
It may depend.

If Ish is all A-10 and we miss the tournament/have another miserable year you have to think he's gone.

If Ish is All A-10 and we make the NCAA tournament it's worth it for him to stay.

Top tier A-10 teams I think won't have as much of a problem keeping their good players.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

It may depend.

If Ish is all A-10 and we miss the tournament/have another miserable year you have to think he's gone.

If Ish is All A-10 and we make the NCAA tournament it's worth it for him to stay.

Top tier A-10 teams I think won't have as much of a problem keeping their good players.
Does Ish have the best chance on the team of being All A10? I kinda don't think so...not next year anyway.
Then again, what do I know? After all, I thought Carey was going to be a h yuge +....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

It may depend.

Does Ish have the best chance on the team of being All A10? I kinda don't think so...not next year anyway.
Then again, what do I know? After all, I thought Carey was going to be a h yuge +....
I think it's more likely that we have no players on the All-A10 teams, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go with Makhel Mitchell or Jeremy Sheppard, with Ish and Walker slightly below them. Ish is probably going to get 50 percent more minutes next year with no Fatts, but his production needs to triple to make all-A10, because the guard spots are pretty competitive. Not impossible, but it's probably a more realistic goal for his junior or senior year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Walker is a role player not an all conference player.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Responding late here about the lack of "excitement" and "pages" here. It's very simple, Chance committed early so fans know there is a long way to go before he is suiting up and playing. And, with the new transfer rule, there is more uncertainty when it comes to any recruit in terms of their long term future with our program and any other. I think all Rhody fans love the signing, but it's another year until he is actually in RI and playing for us. We don't want to invest too much energy until it's a reality.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Responding late here about the lack of "excitement" and "pages" here. It's very simple, Chance committed early so fans know there is a long way to go before he is suiting up and playing. And, with the new transfer rule, there is more uncertainty when it comes to any recruit in terms of their long term future with our program and any other. I think all Rhody fans love the signing, but it's another year until he is actually in RI and playing for us. We don't want to invest too much energy until it's a reality.
And he actually hasn't even signed yet. That can't happen until November.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Let's go!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Exeter ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Exeter ram »

Nice, but that foot work looks like a 2 step travel
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Kid looks like he's clearly bulking up a bit. His arms look decent & seems he's filling out with some muscle. Doesn't look too thin or lanky like a typical high tall school kid. Some nice shots. He seems to be putting in plenty of work.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Exeter ram wrote: 2 years ago Nice, but that foot work looks like a 2 step travel
Looks like and actually being a travel are two distinct things
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Kids can sure as hell shoot. Love it.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exeter ram wrote: 2 years ago Nice, but that foot work looks like a 2 step travel
Seems like a low release point. Interesting to know how he plays against strong competition this season.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Seems like a low release point. Interesting to know how he plays against strong competition this season.
'how' or 'if'?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
'how' or 'if'?
Yes
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I honestly cannot wait for this player to suit up. I wish he could play for us right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this kid can flat out stroke it teams will not be zoning us with The Sniper on the floor !!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Chance!!! Let's go!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I really like this kid!

His HEART and his HEAD seem to be in the right place...Can't wait to see him at the Ryan.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Wow! Very impressive. Keep working Chance!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is it just me...or is that an odd low shot?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Is it just me...or is that an odd low shot?
This is what I said in this thread a month ago….

I wonder if he will need to change his release point in college ball.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NLI day is a week from today. Are we good?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There ya go.

3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don’t think the release is too low. Some of the best shooters shoot in front of their face and they are similarly short.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Like this signing all around. Kids improving everyday.

He also had some nice offers w San Diego St and Colorado even w it being known he was leaning towards Rhody.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Very excited to see him play for us!
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Anyone have any updates on his development/rankings/stock? I’m guessing there’s been a lot less attention paid to him given he’s been committed for so long
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Anyone have any updates on his development/rankings/stock? I’m guessing there’s been a lot less attention paid to him given he’s been committed for so long
I’m too lazy to look it up but if I recall he was lighting it up for a stretch last winter and wondered how secure his commitment was. Glad he signed. He’s probably a better outside shooter than anyone on the roster now.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

He committed early and stuck with us, especially being a west coast kid.
Kudos to him and all involved in his recruitment.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I’m very excited to get him on campus. I think he’s gonna be a very good player
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago He committed early and stuck with us, especially being a west coast kid.
I thought he was from the DC area? I know he was in school in Cal.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago He committed early and stuck with us, especially being a west coast kid.
If I recall, his family is from the DMV and his father knows Cox. I don’t know the circumstances of his move to California.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
If I recall, his family is from the DMV and his father knows Cox. I don’t know the circumstances of his move to California.
Yes, that's what I thought.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

From Chris DiSano
"Chance Stephens: I have always been in Riverside, CA… grew up here. But my mom and my dad are from east. My dad is from Washington, DC, and my mom is from Detroit. I’ve been east a few times. I like it out there a lot. I have a brother who is 13 and, two sisters, one older and one younger."
https://www.yurview.com/featured/new-20 ... es-on-uri/
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If you follow the kid on social media, his family is pretty cool. His dad is an actor, currently has a show on BET. His sister is a recording artist signed to Def Jam records. Pretty talented family.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

From Chris DiSano
"Chance Stephens: I have always been in Riverside, CA… grew up here. But my mom and my dad are from east. My dad is from Washington, DC, and my mom is from Detroit. I’ve been east a few times. I like it out there a lot. I have a brother who is 13 and, two sisters, one older and one younger."
https://www.yurview.com/featured/new-20 ... es-on-uri/
Ok, thanks. So I assume it's Chance's dad who has the connection with Cox.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I was in Riverside yesterday. Should have looked up Chance.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !