‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (URI verbal ---> Loyola Marymount ---> Maryland)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (Rhode Island commit)

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (176.74 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
1 x
'No Mercy.'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Also, if we win and stay in the top three or so in the A10 there's no reason to believe Chance won't stay committed and attend.
The Dude wrote: 3 years ago Love it! Hope Chance stays with Rhody & we get to see him playing in the Ryan Center in a couple years!
Why are we already talking about this kid decommitting?
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Also, if we win and stay in the top three or so in the A10 there's no reason to believe Chance won't stay committed and attend.
The Dude wrote: 3 years ago Love it! Hope Chance stays with Rhody & we get to see him playing in the Ryan Center in a couple years!
Agreed. It is quite ridiculous to be talking about it now. If it happens, which I doubt it will, then we can talk about that. Why people worry and speculate about stuff that may never happen is beyond me. It is one year out, which is early, but it is not like he is a high school sophomore.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He’s got the look to match his nickname. Welcome Chance!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I see some Fatts in him.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed. It is quite ridiculous to be talking about it now. If it happens, which I doubt it will, then we can talk about that. Why people worry and speculate about stuff that may never happen is beyond me. It is one year out, which is early, but it is not like he is a high school sophomore.
Just keeping it real. Times are changing & if the last couple of years are any indication, in my opinion, it's really no secret to anyone here how quickly things can change in the blink of an eye. Very much doubt the kid bolts because a poster or two says they "hope" that he's still just as committed in another year & would love to watch him play. No one said he's leaving. Please let it go. I'm excited to see him here! Can't wait to see him play at the Ryan Center!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If you read Chris DiSano’s interview with, you’ll see his decision wasn’t made lightly. His dad is close to both Cox and Sutton and Chance wants to play on the East coast.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a well grounded kid who really dedicated himself to the game

Looks like it helped that his dad has known Cox and Sutton for a long time
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I only mentioned the likelihood of attendance as a response to Ramulous' concern noted before Chance committed. I never assume anything or allow my expectations to go wild, but I can see Chance having a lot of success here and being a big part of a winning culture.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am the eternal pessimist unfortunately. 2 years is an eternity in recruiting!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago
Great article as always by Mr. DiSano. Chance comes across as extremely mature and disciplined for someone in just his junior year of high school. And let's celebrate Coaches Cox and Sutton for their deep connections to DC - even when it migrates out west. :)
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

6 x
Common sense is not common.
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

First time posting in a long time, but I have to comment on the "Sniper!" Chance looks like he's the real deal and is the type of player we haven't seen at URI in quite some time. Loved and played against Jimmy B as a kid who in my opinion was the last legitimate shooter that we've had on this team! It will be great to not have to hold our breath when a 3 is launched!

Excited is an understatement. Welcome aboard Chance! The Ram family is strong and here to welcome you with open arms! Cheers!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow how can you not love this kid and his work ethic !!
1 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

Chance was tweeting at the team all weekend congratulating them on their victories. Great to see tweets like this from a recruit who people fear may not make it to his signing day! Even better to see coach be this engaged with incoming players! I may be reading way too much into it, but I'd be hard-pressed to think he would back out of a recruitment when he is genuinely this excited about Rhody! This kid is going to do big things for us!
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I saw another tweet from him referring to “we” the Rams. I’m happy he already identifies himself as a Ram.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

See seems very engaged with the team and the coach on Twitter...I understand we have a few years to go, but feeling hopeful about this gent!
1 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

His tweets remind me of the overly enthusiastic teachers pet.

Anyway excited to see if him prove that nickname to be true
0 x
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 3 years ago His tweets remind me of the overly enthusiastic teachers pet.

He's just excited and i'm sure he's pumped to play college ball at a high level. I love the engagement he has with the team already. I'm sure he'd be interested in a website like this too.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 3 years ago His tweets remind me of the overly enthusiastic teachers pet.

Sorry, but this is one of the worst things that I have read here. And we all know there have been some questionable posts.

This kid, yes he’s a kid, seems really pumped up and excited to come to URI and play for Cox. I’m pretty excited about that. We were all about culture and team last I looked. This is just the kind of player I want on my team.

Making fun of his “overly enthusiastic “ tweets is pretty absurd. It sends the wrong message to him and any other possible recruits.
9 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Making 13 3s in a row leaves nothing to Chance.

See what I did there? 😀

Can't wait to see you Snipe in Kingston!
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This kid is what the doctor ordered
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

That’s how Jimmy Baron got so good .... working his tail off.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I do love the fact that Cox got on him early and he committed, but I try not to get too excited yet.
'22 is still a long way off and much can happen, especially if his recruitment blows up and he is a West coast kid.
I know that his father is from the DMV and Cox was the first to offer him, hopefully that relationship is enough to keep him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Sniper puttin in the work baby
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

New IG post; I’m probably in my own head but this is nothing we should be worried about, right?
“It get lonely on this island” is the message. Not posting screenshots sorry I’m not sorry.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Analyzing social media posts by high school and college students is this board’s strength so I look forward to seeing what we come up with!

If/when Cox gets an extension is when I’ll start riding the commitment roller coaster with this kid.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago New IG post; I’m probably in my own head but this is nothing we should be worried about, right?
“It get lonely on this island” is the message. Not posting screenshots sorry I’m not sorry.
Song lyrics. Please, relax.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago New IG post; I’m probably in my own head but this is nothing we should be worried about, right?
Seriously.. How many times are people on here going to overreact about a song lyric from a high school/college kid.. Chance is on social media posting lyrics all the time..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It's the offseason, it's Friday (and I intend to mail it in today) so I want to read all the hot takes by everyone who took PSY 103. Give me all the opinions on what/who this kid is sub-tweeting or sub-gramming or whatever.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our own Steph Curry
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Wait - I thought he was already committed - are there still "official visits" after committing?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Wait - I thought he was already committed - are there still "official visits" after committing?
Why wouldn't he visit, he is a 22' recruit and hasn't seen the campus and facilities?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This kids a bigger fan of the Rams than some on this board. I think hes set.
6 x
GO RAMS
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We can sure use his shooting.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He certainly seems like a very hard worker, as was Jimmy Baron.

Let's hope he ends up here, and if he's anywhere near as good a shooter as Jr. was, that will be something.

Hope he doesn't need pointers from 72 on his FT shooting though....lmao
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Looks like he’s in Rhody for his official visit.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like Chance has added some muscle.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

5 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I think the lack of activity in this thread is telling. Why no excitement for this guy? We have 16 and 17 page threads on people who do not even end up committing to URI, and this kid has two pages and four posts related to his visit.

I mean maybe it is the June visit, the fact that he committed early and without much fan fare. But I think the kid deserves a little more love here. I look forward to watching him play, and his shot making ability is something this team sorely lacks.

I think once again the Cox haters are driving this bus, he will be fired and this kid will never play here. Now I have already expressed my concerns with Cox as a head coach, and have serious doubts as to whether he is the guy. But I can tell you with certainty that I am rooting for him to succeed as that means our Rhody Rams are doing well. And I do not get others that are not doing the same. Covid-19 disrupted college basketball like nothing we have seen before. He had very little help from his staff, I am not quite at the point where I do not think he can be the guy. I may get there, and it is certainly trending that way, but too early for a definitive conclusion that he cannot be a successful head coach here.

And one other thing, can we stop with if he does not get into the NCAA tourney he is done here. How many bids did URI earn in the twenty years before he took this job? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was 2 in 20 years, or something like that. So that is now the floor to keep a job? This is not Duke or Kentucky. Not to mention it is a lot harder now to make the NCAA if you are not in a Power Five plus one than it was 20 years ago.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago I think the lack of activity in this thread is telling. Why no excitement for this guy? We have 16 and 17 page threads on people who do not even end up committing to URI, and this kid has two pages and four posts related to his visit.

I mean maybe it is the June visit, the fact that he committed early and without much fan fare. But I think the kid deserves a little more love here. I look forward to watching him play, and his shot making ability is something this team sorely lacks.

I think once again the Cox haters are driving this bus, he will be fired and this kid will never play here. Now I have already expressed my concerns with Cox as a head coach, and have serious doubts as to whether he is the guy. But I can tell you with certainty that I am rooting for him to succeed as that means our Rhody Rams are doing well. And I do not get others that are not doing the same. Covid-19 disrupted college basketball like nothing we have seen before. He had very little help from his staff, I am not quite at the point where I do not think he can be the guy. I may get there, and it is certainly trending that way, but too early for a definitive conclusion that he cannot be a successful head coach here.

And one other thing, can we stop with if he does not get into the NCAA tourney he is done here. How many bids did URI earn in the twenty years before he took this job? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was 2 in 20 years, or something like that. So that is now the floor to keep a job? This is not Duke or Kentucky. Not to mention it is a lot harder now to make the NCAA if you are not in a Power Five plus one than it was 20 years ago.
I mean, you ask why we aren't talking about this kid, and then, steer the conversation back to Cox in the last two, longer paragraphs, so...

At least for myself, once a recruit commits to URI, well, there isn't much more to "discuss" until they're playing in actual games. His high school tape looks great - everyone's tape looks great, though. Assuming he's enrolled and on the team with no hiccups, he's still a year away from donning a uniform, no? As of right now, there looks to be plenty of minutes for him, with Sheppard running out of eligibility, unless you're a big believer in Berry.
4 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

There's no excitement because the folks on this board realize that Stephens is committed to Coach Cox and not URI. As long as Cox' long term status is tenuous, I'll take a wait and see approach on this kid.

Also, this board loves the chase. This recruitment has been a foregone conclusion for what feels like forever. Number of pages on a thread is more indicative of drama than excitement with the specific recruit, see Elijah Wood.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago I think the lack of activity in this thread is telling. Why no excitement for this guy? We have 16 and 17 page threads on people who do not even end up committing to URI, and this kid has two pages and four posts related to his visit.

Plenty of discussion about Cox's future in other threads, so we should keep this about Chance

I absolutely love that this kid bleeds Rhody Blue! He's cleary working on his body and getting ready to make that jump to D1
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I want Cox to succeed as well, I just don't think he's the guy for this. What makes you think he will or could succeed? What's the reason for your hope?
You can root for a guy/team and still have serious doubts as to whether he fits the bill or not...I mean, I root for Marwin Gonzalez to get a hit every night...but when it actually happens, I'm stunned.
2 x