'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Unread post by STC »

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/marial-mading

Offers:
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Canisius
NJIT
Texas Tech
Towson
Howard
URI

Interest:
Oregon State
Manhattan
Robert Morris
South Florida
Last edited by STC 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As a freshman, he was a 6"5" PG. Now he's 6'11".

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seeing reports from 6’8” to 6’11” 195 lbs
School: St. maria Goretti
AAU: L & L Running Rebels

Rankings
247 composite: 3 star
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some comments about his development this year and his upside potential.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Marial is originally from Sudan and grew up in Australia.
He is the younger brother of Daniel Mading 6’ 10” (‘17) who has been all over the place. Daniel played a year for Bob Hurley Sr but had to transfer after that because he was too old to play High School ball in NJ. Finished at The Rock School in FL. Early verbal to ASU in 2015 but decommitted. In 2017, his final two schools were PC and Texas Tech. Signed with Tech but didn’t have the grades so he went JUCO. Now going to UC Riverside starting this year. A big fall off.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

plays more like kevin Durant it seems
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He grew an inch since yesterday!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Koch and Boswell started following him on Twitter...
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Is Hurley poaching :). Marial is a 3 star recruit. Why is Dan stooping this low.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Love his skill set. Could play 3/4
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The more I watch complete games the more I realize how misleading the highlight videos are.
Watched two of Mading’s games and he had 2 rebounds in each at 6’10” in 2nd tier tournament games.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coach Carroll watching again this morning.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

L&L loses by 21 to a 2nd tier ream (NJ Roadrunners). The Roadrunners had one player over 6’2” on the floor. I watched the 2nd half. Mading didn’t score.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Just a reminder thst Elevate runs these tournaments for profit. The Elevate Tweeters are motivated to pump up performances.
I watched until a 24-19 score and Mading had just scored his first points. This is a 2nd tier tournament. I don’t think another player on the floor for either team is going to end up on a mid major scholarship.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ty and Carroll were there for sure.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Are we trying to have the biggest bench in D1? Working towards it.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It looks like Rhody staff is trying to get all of their targeted recruits from July in for official visits.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

His visit is a weekend after Walkers, looks very strategic which is good.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

This looks like the ideal 4th recruit for this year if we could get him to agree to a red shirt season. It sounds like he needs a little time to grow into his body and it would keep the classes scholarship numbers in better position going forward. By the time he does his visit we will most likely know where we stand with our top three '19 recruits.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:His visit is a weekend after Walkers, looks very strategic which is good.
I don’t see Mading as a Plan B if we don’t get Walker. He just isn’t a PF. He is most likely a SF. He doesn’t go underneath.
Other offers are from Quinnipiac, Hofstra & Tulane.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:His visit is a weekend after Walkers, looks very strategic which is good.
I don’t see Mading as a Plan B if we don’t get Walker. He just isn’t a PF. He is most likely a SF. He doesn’t go underneath.
Other offers are from Quinnipiac, Hofstra & Tulane.
Guy is 6-11 with handle, agreed he isn’t a back up plan. Could be a significant contributor down the road if we can land him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He was 6’5”playing SG and went thru a big growth spurt. He is as skinny as a pole.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago He was 6’5”playing SG and went thru a big growth spurt. He is as skinny as a pole.
Sounds like from the outside to be a perfect redshirt candidate. Could be a poor mans Lamar Odom once he fills out a little.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hard to know exactly what to make of an unofficial at this stage of the game, but-

His only other scheduled official, at this time, seems to be Tulane. I’ve seen Daniel play but not Marial.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coach Cox was on the visit to see Mading.

Edit: missed pist above with Lawless tweet. Julius told me Cox was on the visit.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
I really hope they are able to get their top 3 or Bishop and McLeod if they miss out on Walker. I really don’t want Mading or Somerville.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FULL COURT PRESS! They want the kid, and I do too. I value their evaluations, they get paid the big bucks to do this.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

According to a follow-up tweet from Adam, Mading has added an official to Old Dominion in addition to Tulane and URI.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago FULL COURT PRESS! They want the kid, and I do too. I value their evaluations, they get paid the big bucks to do this.
If they get him it means we probably miss out on Bishop and most likely Walker. I don’t see Walker coming if Bishop doesn’t. He looks paper thin and it doesn’t feel exciting at all if we get him. I love the coaching staff and trust them, but it seems like a huge drop off from Bishop, McLeod and Walker.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago FULL COURT PRESS! They want the kid, and I do too. I value their evaluations, they get paid the big bucks to do this.
If they get him it means we probably miss out on Bishop and most likely Walker. I don’t see Walker coming if Bishop doesn’t. He looks paper thin and it doesn’t feel exciting at all if we get him. I love the coaching staff and trust them, but it seems like a huge drop off from Bishop, McLeod and Walker.
Their is a plan in place. The staff knows what they are doing. Relax.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
I hear you in terms of letting everything play out and the coaching staff has worked very hard and smart to get the right recruits. I love Bishop, Walker and McLeod and think Ling will be alright as number 3 or 4 recruit. I love the 2018 class coming in this year. I watched this kid play a couple times and he would get killed at the power forward spot and despite his length would not be able to cover small forwards at a high level. He had several games where he contributed very little offensively. The ratings can be misleading, but he is ranked in the 330’s for a reason. Some programs have kicked the tires because of his height and length. Just my opinion and the coaches have watched him enough to know, but I am hoping he signs somewhere else unless we can get a combination of two of the three priority recruits and at that point don’t care who else we get.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hear you in terms of letting everything play out and the coaching staff has worked very hard and smart to get the right recruits. I love Bishop, Walker and McLeod and think Ling will be alright as number 3 or 4 recruit. I love the 2018 class coming in this year. I watched this kid play a couple times and he would get killed at the power forward spot and despite his length would not be able to cover small forwards at a high level. He had several games where he contributed very little offensively. The ratings can be misleading, but he is ranked in the 330’s for a reason. Some programs have kicked the tires because of his height and length. Just my opinion and the coaches have watched him enough to know, but I am hoping he signs somewhere else unless we can get a combination of two of the three priority recruits and at that point don’t care who else we get.
That’s your assessment of Mading, which I, personally, don’t value (no offense). I trust the 4 guys who went to visit him today. Who have coached at ALL 3 levels. They KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Let the process play out.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nothing against Mading but I know that Rhody staff has Bishop, Walker, Long and McLeod as priorities ahead of Mading.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Always good to have fallback options in case we don't land our top priorities
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Right, there’s the rankings and also, like you said, a bunch of equally qualified staffs assessed him, and he ended up with officials to Tulane and ODU, aside from URI. Taking a chance on a guy is easier to take if you hit on all your primary targets. Official visits are easy to cancel if they’re no longer needed, too.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Right, there’s the rankings and also, like you said, a bunch of equally qualified staffs assessed him, and he ended up with officials to Tulane and ODU, aside from URI. Taking a chance on a guy is easier to take if you hit on all your primary targets. Official visits are easy to cancel if they’re no longer needed, too.
He had an Unofficial with your BFF (jk) at UCONN last week. He’s not a 4 year starter, he’s a role player. We need to recruit those complimentary pieces as well. I love the thought of having a 6’10 guy that can play like a guard. That length is invaluable.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

He had an Unofficial with your BFF (jk) at UCONN last week. He’s not a 4 year starter, he’s a role player. We need to recruit those complimentary pieces as well. I love the thought of having a 6’10 guy that can play like a guard. That length is invaluable.
In terms of if they land Bishop and McLeod to go with Long and he is the fourth guy than it would be alright. If we miss out on both Walker and Bishop despite the great efforts from the coaching staff we can agree that a class with Long and Mading doesn’t feel real good. We might still be able to get McLeod, but Long feels more like a number theee recruit or four if we ever landed are top three priority recruits and Mading a four as he seems like a guy that you take a chance on, but probably won’t amount to much. I agree that not everyone can be a superstar and role players like Long and even Mading can be valuable if surrounded with the right people(Walker, Bishop and McLeod). I guess all we can do is wait and see how it plays out. We can’t argue with the work you f the coaching staff has done to put us in position on Walker, Bishop and McLeod.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

In terms of if they land Bishop and McLeod to go with Long and he is the fourth guy than it would be alright. If we miss out on both Walker and Bishop despite the great efforts from the coaching staff we can agree that a class with Long and Mading doesn’t feel real good. We might still be able to get McLeod, but Long feels more like a number theee recruit or four if we ever landed are top three priority recruits and Mading a four as he seems like a guy that you take a chance on, but probably won’t amount to much. I agree that not everyone can be a superstar and role players like Long and even Mading can be valuable if surrounded with the right people(Walker, Bishop and McLeod). I guess all we can do is wait and see how it plays out. We can’t argue with the work you f the coaching staff has done to put us in position on Walker, Bishop and McLeod.
Clearly we know who the targets are as we hope to land our dream class. However, let’s not lose total perspective here. Long would of been the top rated get in many of the classes Dan Hurley brought here. In fact he is rated right around where Fatts was last year for additional perspective. I think Madding would be a good get and potential red shirt candidate if we secure a full roster in order to strengthen the frame and continue building out his skill set. If we land two of our remaining 3 too targets and Madding as the 4th get, that is a tremendous class. Potentially the best one in school history rivaling our incoming class this year.
0 x