'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mistake in post two up. Mading’s team is playing Woodstock Gold which is the second game.
The stream and announcers seem good in the first game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s some solid D1 talent on the Gold roster for Woodstock, should be a good challenge for Mading.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

these announcers are better than a lot of college announcers
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

mading isn't starting and may be in street clothes on the bench
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s isn’t playing today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am not sure why Commonwealth plays teams like Woodstock and Putnam. They lose by 50 points.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I am not sure why Commonwealth plays teams like Woodstock and Putnam. They lose by 50 points.
You were too kind!!

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

any idea why he didn't suit yesterday?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Unsubstantiated rumor is that Mading may be here for 2nd semester....not a reliable source, however.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's floating around for sure.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As in playing? Or just enrolled and practicing?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Almost definitely not playing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Right, wouldn’t think so, but “be here” is pretty vague
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am not questioning your sources but this doesn’t make sense. By NCAA rule, you can’t use the scholarship from Aris leaving on a new player. They have one open scholarship but that would be used for Walker. If Walker enrolls in Jan, Mading would need to pay his way/financial aid - see Akok Akok at UConn. If Mading gets the scholarship, then Walker isn’t enrolling in Jan.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Enrolled as a student....taking classes.....working out and practicing with the team.....no games....maybe with academic scholarship based on need....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would be great to get him in the weight room for 10 months before he starts playing.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This would be good get him acclimated and practicing with better players
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Enrolled as a student....taking classes.....working out and practicing with the team.....no games....maybe with academic scholarship based on need....
Hopefully setup as a redshirt (like Akok) so he doesn’t waste a semester of eligibility.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's all falling in place now. A semester practicing at URI and working out with strength staff will be good for him.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Enrolled as a student....taking classes.....working out and practicing with the team.....no games....maybe with academic scholarship based on need....
Any official news on this? 2nd semester classes begin January 23rd.

Also what is the word on Antwan Walker. Will he be here on campus for the rest of the year sitting out play?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker is still in Washington DC. There is some expectation that he will arrive by Jan 13 (next home game). He could arrive later.

I haven’t heard anything on Mading other than what has been posted on the Board.
With the rule change, Mading can use the scholarship vacated by Aris.
I just read that UCONN’s recruit Akok Akok is expected on campus until their classes start on Jan 22nd.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He was at the game today
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Not a good game to see. Yikes.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker and Mading are enrolling this month.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

6'11 is nice hope he develops and becomes an impact player sooner than later
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The goal is to get Mading in the paint. Whether he prefers it or not. He can have an outside game, but we need another big to score down low and rebound.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Walker fits the bill better for an inside game, at least for next season....he's further along in his development.

We won't lack for size, that's for sure.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago The goal is to get Mading in the paint. Whether he prefers it or not. He can have an outside game, but we need another big to score down low and rebound.
I totally disagree with this.
He has a special skill set as a 6'9" 200lb wing. That is why he was recruited.
That skill needs to be honed against bigger, faster competition. That is the goal.

I mean, if you are saying "Get the defense to switch and send Mading to the block on the other team's PG", then I agree.
Otherwise, no.

To try and change what he fundamentally is - even before he is even good at it - would be a mistake.
It would be like trying to teach a dog to surf. It could work, but there is a higher possibility of him drowning than ever hanging 20.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago The goal is to get Mading in the paint. Whether he prefers it or not. He can have an outside game, but we need another big to score down low and rebound.
That skill needs to be honed against bigger, faster competition. That is the goal.

I mean, if you are saying "Get the defense to switch and send Mading to the block on the other team's PG", then I agree.
Otherwise, no.

To try and change what he fundamentally is - even before he is even good at it - would be a mistake.
It would be like trying to teach a dog to surf. It could work, but there is a higher possibility of him drowning than ever hanging 20.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Otherwise, no.

Agreed.. Prime example so far Jermaine Harris.. Making him a low post player when that's not what he was in high school.. hope we are not ruining this player.. seems real frustrated on the court
0 x
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Otherwise, no.

I wanna be that Weiner dog
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Otherwise, no.

I said he can keep his outside game but he should be ready to score in the paint as well. This squad simply doesn't have the convenience and would be adverse to have our tallest player stuck to the three-point line. Players change all the time. Some become shooters, others build their skills in the post. It all depends on the team and their situation to make a player fit the system. JH scores very well in the paint as observed on many occasions. His involvement in the offense and foul trouble (played 9 min last game ) is the issue, not his ability or changing of his techniques.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago

Otherwise, no.

Agreed.. Prime example so far Jermaine Harris.. Making him a low post player when that's not what he was in high school.. hope we are not ruining this player.. seems real frustrated on the court
JH is picking up dumb fouls on the perimeter! Also if he wants a shot at being a pro, being an average wing player (even at 6’9”) is not going to cut it. He needs to be an inside out player. I would think Madinf would want the same. Lamar Odom was who he was because he did both.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s separate Mading from Jermaine. Jermaine played F/C for 4 years in high school. Mading was a 6’5” G who went thru a major growth spurt late. Mading will not be a low post player. He is 6’11” 195 lbs. He is incredibly skinny. Jermaine is 6’8” 220 lbs.
I have seen Mading play 3 times this year. He will need to be a wing player in college. He needs development to have an impact at URI. Hopefully getting on campus 4 months early helps.

Fyi, his Instagram live yesterday showed him in a practice with his prep school team.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'd let anyone out there that can shoot a 3, even if they're 7' tall. If Jermaine can shoot 3's, go for it. Same for Mading or anyone else.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I look at Marial Madding's game in a similar fashion to Lamar Odom. Similar style and skill set. I'm NOT saying Marial = Odom. I'm just saying his game seems like it would lend him to playing a similar role that Odom played rather than attempting to make him a post player.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I look at Marial Madding's game in a similar fashion to Lamar Odom. Similar style and skill set. I'm NOT saying Marial = Odom. I'm just saying his game seems like it would lend him to playing a similar role that Odom played rather than attempting to make him a post player.
Lamar Odom was rated the #1 recruit in the nation by some. Marial Mading is rated #335. What skills are similar?
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I look at Marial Madding's game in a similar fashion to Lamar Odom. Similar style and skill set. I'm NOT saying Marial = Odom. I'm just saying his game seems like it would lend him to playing a similar role that Odom played rather than attempting to make him a post player.
Lamar Odom was rated the #1 recruit in the nation by some. Marial Mading is rated #335. What skills are similar?
stating their respective ratings with a 20 year gap doesn't speak to skill set, Dude made it clear he doesn't say Marial is the mirror image of Odom, just that he might have a similar skill set to what Odom had. Maybe a tall 3 that can handle the ball and use his height in combination in order to have an advantage over less skilled, shorter 3's.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Unsubstantiated rumor is that Mading may be here for 2nd semester....not a reliable source, however.....
Good job.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Unsubstantiated rumor is that Mading may be here for 2nd semester....not a reliable source, however.....
Good job.
Second that. Ramulous your “not reliable source” became more reliable!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We will listen to her more closely going forward......
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Looks like he has good motion and a soft shot to me. Both are nice to have.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A part of an article from The Independent on Oct 18, 2018.
This time last year, Mading was at St. Maria Goretti School in Hagerstown, Maryland, with his star not yet risen. He joined Commonwealth Academy in December and began to emerge in the spring and summer.

“Before he came to us, he was at St. Maria Goretti and he was actually sitting on the bench,” Springfield head coach Walter Mfuko said. “He didn’t have the AAU season the summer before going into St. Maria Goretti either, so he was relatively unknown. And then, he just worked his butt off - 6 a.m. before practice every day, after practice. He really just put in the work. During the spring time, he really started to blossom and that took him to where he is now.”

So Mading has one year of playing at a weak Prep School in Springfield. He started in the middle of last season and end two months into this season.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
stating their respective ratings with a 20 year gap doesn't speak to skill set, Dude made it clear he doesn't say Marial is the mirror image of Odom, just that he might have a similar skill set to what Odom had. Maybe a tall 3 that can handle the ball and use his height in combination in order to have an advantage over less skilled, shorter 3's.
Thanks. For a second I thought I was going to have to restate it using Espanol.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago So Mading has one year of playing at a weak Prep School in Springfield. He started in the middle of last season and end two months into this season.
Jimi Hendrix didn't own a guitar until he was 16, had a one stringed ukulele when he was 14, but was a virtuoso by 19. Stop hating on this recruitment.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Marial's size and purported skill set intrigue me.......he is going to end up on the spectrum somewhere between me and the real Greek Freak, probably ....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Marial's size and purported skill set intrigue me.......he is going to end up on the spectrum somewhere between me and the real Greek Freak, probably ....
Haha. I was thinking you and an a top D1 SF.
I don’t hate Marial. I want him to do well. I do think he has a lot of development in front of him. I think he can have an impact his Soph year. He upside is significant. I have seen him play 5 times so this isn’t off any video. I also think it is great that he is in Kingston early. The extra time could benefit him significantly and he wasn’t getting much out of Commonwealth Academy.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This early enrollment thing is huge in college football and seems to significantly enhance the likelihood that a guy contributes as a freshman. I’m not aware of it being a regular thing in college basketball, but I like the idea of it. In football, of course, the early enrollees get the benefit of participating in spring camp, which many basketball freshmen get the equivalent of by attending summer sessions and beginning their work in the program at that time - that seems to be the best analogy from a the standpoint of focusing on development. But still, being there for this part of the season will definitely not hurt Mading and Walker in terms of development, and could also add something to the team to the extent they’re utilized in practice as scout players.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011