'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I'm going to side with Bill Self on this one.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

For the ‘19 class Kansas made 47 offers including 14 at SF (Mading’s position). 13 visited of the 47 offered. They had 4 recruits commit and enroll. That is 8.5% of the offered recruits. I am going with the 91.5% that Mading never plays at Kansas.

So far for the ‘20 class they have 34 reported offers. Mading would be 35. Who knows how many other offers 247 doesn’t capture (like Mading). Kansas has 6 returning SFs for next year and three are currently Fr. They have 3 scholarships available next year. Losing 2 PFs and a SG. They show “warm” with 14 recruits! Three are visiting this month - 1 SG and 2 PF/C. I would bet Bill Self has never seen Mading play.

So an offer from Kansas means they are want to sign the recruit (sarcasm).
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

For the ‘19 class Florida made 68 offers. They had 5 recruits commit and enroll. That is 7.4% of the offered recruits. I am going with the 92.6% that Mading never plays at Florida. I would bet Mike White has never seen Mading play.

For the ‘20 class Florida has made 66 offers. Mading would be 67. They have offered 19 SFs (Mading would be 20). Florida has 4 returning SFs for next year. They have 3 available scholarships next year. Losing a SG, PF & C. They have four recruits scheduled to visit in Sept/Oct. I am sure Mike White has never seen Mading play.

So an offer from Florida is less meaningful than an offer from Kansas and that is saying something.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Mading if he ever plays will be the 13th player on the roster who they hope they can somehow develop because of his height. He would not have had to skills to play at URI for at least a couple years let alone Kansas. The Kansas fans were not doing cartwheels over this offer. I agree with Rhody83 in that it is highly unlikely that he even ever plays there. He should accept immediately as it is incredible that he got an offer
1 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

He was a different player when he left URI from when he entered. Cox and Boswell were very high on him. He left Rhody for personal reasons that were not basketball or grade related. I doubt if he is Kansas or Florida level but I hope be doesn't end up in the A10.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I doubt he even could accept his “offer” right now. I’m sure if he could, he would have already. I’m not trying to insult the player, but when he was here I was hopeful that he could become an A10 level player over the course of his career, and while I didn’t think that was a sure bet I did think it was a worthwhile gamble because of his length. Whatever the Kansas “offer” means, I think the idea that he is a Kansas-level player is kind of absurd.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago He was a different player when he left URI from when he entered. Cox and Boswell were very high on him. He left Rhody for personal reasons that were not basketball or grade related. I doubt if he is Kansas or Florida level but I hope be doesn't end up in the A10.
He hasn’t played an organized game of basketball since December. I watched his last three games. They were against average prep teams and he wasn’t impressive. The last time Cox saw him play in an organized game was July 2018.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The last time Mading played in an organized basketball game 9 months ago he was rated a 2 star with a composite ranking of 392. I know we say the rankings can be off but come on. Since he left URI he was back in Australia. I am sure he was getting better development than he would’ve received had he stayed at URI (sarcasm) 😳.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If Mading becomes a legit P5 player at any point, I’ll eat my computer. I mean, good luck to him and everything, but I’m pretty skeptical.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I understand the skepticism, but what is it that these coaches see/know that some of you don’t?

Bill Self isn’t flying out and offering a guy to sit on the end of his bench.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Mading has done nothing to improve his 330+ ranking. He hasn’t showed any great accomplishments during an actual game. The guy is tall and can shoot-in practice. He would get killed at Power 5 competition. He is each of these schools throw away 13th scholarship they hope to hit on. It is easy to always say I trust the coaches evaluation over everyone else’s since they are the experts, but that is what was said with Aris, Layssard and many others. Let’s see Mading accomplishment something first in game action. He never looked that great in the summer leagues.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kid should go to a lower D1 school if he proves better than expected then transfer to a better school
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah I think it’s the length and raw skills that is enticing coaches, but how much have they seen. I actually think trusting the coaches as talent evaluators makes sense, but we’ll see where he ends up. I think these coaches sniffing around at this point in the process makes sense, but we’ll see where they’re at with him after they watch 30+ games from him over the winter.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Mading has done nothing to improve his 330+ ranking. He hasn’t showed any great accomplishments during an actual game. The guy is tall and can shoot-in practice. He would get killed at Power 5 competition. He is each of these schools throw away 13th scholarship they hope to hit on. It is easy to always say I trust the coaches evaluation over everyone else’s since they are the experts, but that is what was said with Aris, Layssard and many others. Let’s see Mading accomplishment something first in game action. He never looked that great in the summer leagues.
Kansas and florida have offered. LSU and Baylor plan to this week as well. These schools weren’t banging down Aris or Layssard’s door.

There is something more to this.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Mading has done nothing to improve his 330+ ranking. He hasn’t showed any great accomplishments during an actual game. The guy is tall and can shoot-in practice. He would get killed at Power 5 competition. He is each of these schools throw away 13th scholarship they hope to hit on. It is easy to always say I trust the coaches evaluation over everyone else’s since they are the experts, but that is what was said with Aris, Layssard and many others. Let’s see Mading accomplishment something first in game action. He never looked that great in the summer leagues.
Kansas and florida have offered. LSU and Baylor plan to this week as well. These schools weren’t banging down Aris or Layssard’s door.

They weren’t banging down Mading’s door his Sr year either. It is unusual but as previously posted Florida and Kansas offer 50 recruits a year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

They weren’t banging down Mading’s door his Sr year either. It is unusual but as previously posted Florida and Kansas offer 50 recruits a year.
They don’t fly in the head coach to see all 50.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Mading imust have a twin brother !?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

just keep rolling in
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, but all these teams are looking for a bum to sit at the end of the bench.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Assuming Aris will probably get a few offers from Power 5 schools in the next couple days of weeks also. Wait until these programs see Mading play actual live basketball games against high end athletes.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe they unearthed some secret tape in which Mading is clearly a future NBA player, or maybe Bill Self caught wind of a 6’11” kid that has some range and “offered” him and then a bunch of other coaches were like “well if Kansas wants this kid, then I want him too” and now they’re all “offering” him. Again, we’ll see where he ends up.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Whatever the scenario is or how it plays out, good for this kid. Seems he has been playing his cards well in this game. If he can actually secure one of these schollies, Kansas or Texas A&M seems like a good place to sit on the 13th spot of the bench over RI.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

One thing we can all agree on I think...this will be pretty damn interesting to watch play out!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I admit I am intrigued by this

I predict he will be a bust at a high major but there is a little something here with the quality of these schools offering
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t think we were happy he left but I think Toppin will be the better player.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

The circus continues. I have never seen someone do so little and rise so much. How many of these coaches have seen Mading play against top competition. This guy should work in sales with me.

Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
Alabama, LSU, and Oregon are in today for Chipola forward Marial Mading
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago The circus continues. I have never seen someone do so little and rise so much. How many of these coaches have seen Mading play against top competition. This guy should work in sales with me.

Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
The only ones who don’t believe in the kid are the people on this board.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think we were happy he left but I think Toppin will be the better player.
Got that right. Toppin is going to surprise people is my prediction. Legit height.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago The circus continues. I have never seen someone do so little and rise so much. How many of these coaches have seen Mading play against top competition. This guy should work in sales with me.

Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
When he proves the people on this board wrong and looks like a Division one player in game action I will eat crow. Just not sure how a guy headed to juco and wasn’t highly recruited at all could rise up so much when he did nothing in live game action. Maybe he is growing over 7 ft.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
How of the Recruiting rating services that all have him rated 300+.

How come no one in the media reacted to what a great recruit URI landed?

How come none of these schools were interested when Mading last played a game?

How come none of these schools offered for him to transfer?

If this is the case we should be concerned that Coach Cox couldn’t hold onto such a top player after one semester.

The question is what has changed with Mading since May that has all these top schools interested? The kid has bern in Australia since May. Did he get stronger? Did he dramatically improve his basketball skills?

His JUCO coach has done a great job building interest for Mading.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

One thing is for sure, his rankings on the recruiting sites are about to improve dramatically even though none of those guys have seen him either.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It’s certainly going to be a good test of the theory that to some extent rankings are based on offers received. The higher he moves the more we will know.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wasn't he enrolled for a semester? Seems it's more like a transfer than anything else. I doubt recruiting rankings will apply.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago He was a different player when he left URI from when he entered. Cox and Boswell were very high on him. He left Rhody for personal reasons that were not basketball or grade related. I doubt if he is Kansas or Florida level but I hope be doesn't end up in the A10.
This is key
He could become the 4th ranked player among recruits or the 504th player among recruits - doesn’t matter.
Should not say later that Cox made a mistake not keeping him because of the reason for departing.
Seems the comments are leaning towards we might have blown it by pushing him out based on talent.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
This is key
He could become the 4th ranked player among recruits or the 504th player among recruits - doesn’t matter.
Should not say later that Cox made a mistake not keeping him because of the reason for departing.
Seems the comments are leaning towards we might have blown it by pushing him out based on talent.
As stated here before, it was said that this was an agreeable split for reasons that will never be known publicly on shared on this forum. Stating it was for any other reason based on speculation is irresponsible. People tend to take that kind of stuff and run with it. If you lend anyone the benefit of doubt, it should be the coaches, players and support staff....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is key
As stated here before, it was said that this was an agreeable split for reasons that will never be known publicly on shared on this forum. Stating it was for any other reason based on speculation is irresponsible. People tend to take that kind of stuff and run with it. If you lend anyone the benefit of doubt, it should be the coaches, players and support staff....
So talking about how all these high major teams are now offering him comes with it the insinuation in many posts here that we might have blown it from a talent evaluation perspective. As you said will never be known publicly.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This is key
So talking about how all these high major teams are now offering him comes with it the insinuation in many posts here that we might have blown it from a talent evaluation perspective. As you said will never be known publicly.
I don’t follow.

I was actually agreeing with you.

I think throwing out there that the staff may have “blown it” by not keeping him here, is short-sighted. (Considering many don’t know the surrounding circumstances outside of baseless conjecture)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t follow.

I was actually agreeing with you.

I think throwing out there that the staff may have “blown it” by not keeping him here, is short-sighted. (Considering many don’t know the surrounding circumstances outside of baseless conjecture)
Perfect, we agree. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe there is some misunderstanding on my comment around Mading leaving. I was being sarcastic that if we believe Mading is a P5 impact player than he must’ve been that level when he left URI because all he has done since then is go home to Australia. I have no idea why Mading left and I don’t care why. I can tell you he was nowhere near a P5 last January when he enrolled at URI.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Why did he leave in the first place? If you have confidence in your ability then competition will just make you better.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago Why did he leave in the first place? If you have confidence in your ability then competition will just make you better.
As was just stated previously it was an agreeable split for reasons that will never be known publicly or shared on this forum. Confidential.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Splits can be "mutual" but usually are initiated by one of the parties. So the question is, did he initiate it or did we?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Looks like Bill Self is bring Mading in for Late Night at the Phog this weekend along with two 5-star prospects and a 4-star prospect.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Bill Self is bring Mading in for Late Night at the Phog this weekend along with two 5-star prospects and a 4-star prospect.
The usually invite a lot of recruits. They had Anthony Walker last year and never seriously pursued him.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Just picked up an offer from Oregon???
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

12 or 13th man slot?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

I'm not sure where to comment on this, but since Marial was recently offered by Kansas thought this was a good spot. Did anyone see the video of their midnight madness with Snoop Dogg and the girls dancing on stripper poles. Pretty classless, especially from a school so rich with tradition.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago I'm not sure where to comment on this, but since Marial was recently offered by Kansas thought this was a good spot. Did anyone see the video of their midnight madness with Snoop Dogg and the girls dancing on stripper poles. Pretty classless, especially from a school so rich with tradition.
I'm kind of in the mindset of, "Eh fuck Kansas." You booked Snoop Dogg, what did you think was going to happen? Bill Self claiming he didn't know what kind of show it was going to be is as rich as him claiming he didn't know what was going on with the recruiting violations.
2 x