The College Sports Madness Top 144

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

The College Sports Madness Top 144

Unread post by RF1 »

The College Sports Madness Top 144 is once again being released one team a day. Will try to keep Rhody fans informed when a future opponent is named:

#15 West Virginia - Conference Rank: #3 Big 12 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16706
#20 TCU* - Conference Rank: #4 Big 12 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16689
#53 St Louis - Conference Rank: #1 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16586
#57 Davidson - Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16581
#61 George Mason - Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16571
#62 Providence - Conference Rank: #6 Big East - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16569
#63 St Joe's - Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16567
#71 Colorado* - Conference Rank: #7 Pac-12 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16545
#78 Rhode Island - Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16524
#88 UMass - Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16491
#104 Harvard - Conference Rank: #1 Ivy League - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16437
#105 Duquesne - Conference Rank: #7 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16434
#118 Charleston - Conference Rank: #4 CAA - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16396
#127 UNLV* - Conference Rank: #6 Mountain West - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16382
#128 VCU - Conference Rank: #8 Atlantic 10 - http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16381

*Diamond Head Classic possible opponent (TCU, Bucknell, Charlotte, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana State and UNLV)

Updated 10-28-2018
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The College Sports Madness Top 144

Unread post by RF1 »

Updated
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I like what you're doing, updating the top post, but Northern Iowa isn't a possible Diamond Head Classic opponent.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I like what you're doing, updating the top post, but Northern Iowa isn't a possible Diamond Head Classic opponent.

Good catch. You are right. Fixed it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So where does everyone have URI coming in at?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:So where does everyone have URI coming in at?
40-50.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No way ^^ I would guess somewhere in the 60-80 range.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:No way ^^ I would guess somewhere in the 60-80 range.

I will guess more likely in the 80-100 range.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:

I could see anywhere in the 60-100 range really, but I do agree with you that it'll probably be more towards the 80-100. I do think people on here are generally underestimating how much of a transition year this is going to be. And then when it comes to preseason predictions from sites like College Sports Madness I think they will see Hurley leaving and the seniors that graduated and not expect much.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I could see anywhere in the 60-100 range really, but I do agree with you that it'll probably be more towards the 80-100. I do think people on here are generally underestimating how much of a transition year this is going to be. And then when it comes to preseason predictions from sites like College Sports Madness I think they will see Hurley leaving and the seniors that graduated and not expect much.
I think both of those things could be true, and both could also be a little wrong. People here are probably underestimating the magnitude of the transition, and at the same time I think national analysts will overestimate the impact of that transition. In other words, this team will be so different from last year that any success we do have will be almost entirely unrelated to the success we had the last few years. At the same time, I do think we will be pretty good with an outside shot of being a major surprise, depending on how ready the freshmen are and how quickly they can settle into their games at this level. If Jeff, Fatts and Cyril all make a leap with their roles set to expand, just that will make you a top-third A10 team even with almost nothing else from the rest of the roster. The more you get from the talented guys coming into the program and coming back from injury, the higher the ceiling.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I think both of those things could be true, and both could also be a little wrong. People here are probably underestimating the magnitude of the transition, and at the same time I think national analysts will overestimate the impact of that transition. In other words, this team will be so different from last year that any success we do have will be almost entirely unrelated to the success we had the last few years. At the same time, I do think we will be pretty good with an outside shot of being a major surprise, depending on how ready the freshmen are and how quickly they can settle into their games at this level. If Jeff, Fatts and Cyril all make a leap with their roles set to expand, just that will make you a top-third A10 team even with almost nothing else from the rest of the roster. The more you get from the talented guys coming into the program and coming back from injury, the higher the ceiling.

Well put...totally agree...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see 80-100 I think we as fans know how good we can be but the national pundits won't rank us as high
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

People here are probably underestimating the magnitude of the transition, and at the same time I think national analysts will overestimate the impact of that transition.
Yeah I think we basically agree. This part quoted above is what I was trying to get at. I think most fans are going to underestimate the magnitude of the transition for sure, and then I guess it comes down to how do you think that affects the bottom line of wins and losses. And then most analysts are going to majorly overestimate with the truth eventually coming down somewhere in the middle most likely.

Personally I think I am probably less optimistic on that front than most. I don't think we're going to stink or anything, but I do think we may be headed for more of a middle of the pack finish. I'm very high on all of these freshman, I just don't think it'll be an immediate impact for them.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah, I can see URI only being rated 60- 80, but something tells me they will surprise most analysts and fans and challenge for the A10 to spot. If the recruits are as good as they are rated , I don't see why that can't happen considering expected improvements from Doutin, Langevine and Russell. Hopefully, Cyril will be fully healthy and look how much better Doutin was this past season . Russell should exhibit the same growth in his game . Supposedly URI has never had a big man as highly touted as Harris and the others like Omar, Dana and Tyrese may all be even underrated. Let's hope so.
I know I am a major optimist, but I just have a feeling FWIW .
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Agree with most of what is posted above. Anyone ranking all the teams can’t take that close of a look at all of them, so seeing a new coach and five graduates will automatically lower the expectations. The closer you get to people rooting for the team, the more positive the outlook seems from them (which is new- I like it!). It’s probably a mixture of really valuing the returning players, seeing the potential of the new guys, and maybe a little bit of really wanting the coaching change to be no big deal and to stick it to the former coach. I think they’ll be a top half of the conference team, but it will be a sort of bridge year to what could be a really special 19-20 season. I’m interested in seeing how the A10 coaches’ poll shakes out and what they make of this year’s team.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Updated original post with Duquesne at #105 nationally and #7 in the A-10.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Updated original post with Harvard at #104 nationally and #1 in the Ivy League.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's a good game on our schedule that people are sleeping on. They will finish Top 100 RPI for sure. Aiken is a beast.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:That's a good game on our schedule that people are sleeping on. They will finish Top 100 RPI for sure. Aiken is a beast.

While Harvard is a decent team, it still doesn't compare to this season's Nevada squad, the game it replaced.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love games like the Harvard-URI one, where there’s some familiarity between the programs with being in the same geographical area and having a history of those secret scrimmages. Plus, there’s the Patrick School connection of Cyril and Bryce. You know Cyril will be hyped for this one.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:I love games like the Harvard-URI one, where there’s some familiarity between the programs with being in the same geographical area and having a history of those secret scrimmages. Plus, there’s the Patrick School connection of Cyril and Bryce. You know Cyril will be hyped for this one.

URI and Harvard actually do not have a lot of shared history. They have only officially met ten times with URI holding a 6-4 series edge. While Harvard is in nearby Massachusetts, it is URI's least played current D1 team located in the state (even less than the sum of games for UMass-Lowell and one of its predecessors Lowell Tech). Rhode Island actually has played more games with non D1 MA schools such as WPI, Tufts, Stonehill, and Springfield. Other than Brown, Rhody has not really played many games versus Ivy league teams. In fact, it has never faced two (Cornell and Columbia) of the eight Ivy members and its second most played opponent is Yale at just 12 games. Very little interaction for over 100+ years of play given the close proximity.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ok. But what does that have to do with what I wrote? Most of the players on the current rosters are familiar with each other, having played against each other the last two or three seasons, and, being in the same area, the Harvard players have heard lots about URI’s recent success.
ace wrote:I love games like the Harvard-URI one, where there’s some familiarity between the programs with being in the same geographical area and having a history of those secret scrimmages. Plus, there’s the Patrick School connection of Cyril and Bryce. You know Cyril will be hyped for this one.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:Ok. But what does that have to do with what I wrote? Most of the players on the current rosters are familiar with each other, having played against each other the last two or three seasons.

Not disputing your post. Just stating the fact that other than the recent closed scrimmages, there is surprisingly little shared history in over a century of play despite the short distance.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I know many on here don't necessarily want to see it, but selfishly, I'd love to see them play at Harvard, considering that I live 4 miles away.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:I know many on here don't necessarily want to see it, but selfishly, I'd love to see them play at Harvard, considering that I live 4 miles away.

I would not be surprised if the game with Harvard was part of a home and home series. URI seems to like playing in Boston and has in the recent past given even H&H series to both BU and Northeastern and played two separate 2-1 (two at Conte) series with BC.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That woukd be great good for the RPI
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:I know many on here don't necessarily want to see it, but selfishly, I'd love to see them play at Harvard, considering that I live 4 miles away.

I would not be surprised if the game with Harvard was part of a home and home series. URI seems to like playing in Boston and has in the recent past given even H&H series to both BU and Northeastern and played two separate 2-1 (two at Conte) series with BC.
As I noted in the 2020-21 schedule thread, we return the Harvard game that year. Which is why I keep track years ahead of time when we have the information
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

As I noted in the 2020-21 schedule thread, we return the Harvard game that year. Which is why I keep track years ahead of time when we have the information
Nice!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UConn comes in at # 94.

Actually, these early predictions are problematic especially this Madness Top 144 which by its very nature conveys a sense of prediction precision that is unrealistic. Consider, for example, that Blue Ribbon, one of the better prediction service, in last year's yearbook accurately picked only 15 of the 32 conference champions. But when you are in the doldrums between seasons, the various prediction services are fun to argue over, but never get too serious about them.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:UConn comes in at # 94.

Actually, these early predictions are problematic especially this Madness Top 144 which by its very nature conveys a sense of prediction precision that is unrealistic. Consider, for example, that Blue Ribbon, one of the better prediction service, in last year's yearbook accurately picked only 15 of the 32 conference champions. But when you are in the doldrums between seasons, the various prediction services are fun to argue over, but never get too serious about them.
Lord Hurley doesn't have them in the Final Four yet?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Updated original post with UMass at #88 nationally and #6 in the A-10.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

So based upon the multi predictions presented in the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7568 thread UMass is ranked ahead of URI in more than one national prediction....does that mean we will not be included in the top 144? I think we will and we'll be coming up real soon 70-80.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

R.Kelly150 wrote:So based upon the multi predictions presented in the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7568 thread UMass is ranked ahead of URI in more than one national prediction....does that mean we will not be included in the top 144? I think we will and we'll be coming up real soon 70-80.

My A-10 top four would be Davidson, St. Joe's, GMU, and St Louis and this seems to mirror most predictions. If they are in this list, that leaves one open spot likely for either URI, SBU, or Dayton.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

FWIW, ESPN’s BPI does not have us in their Top 100.
Go Rhody
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Granted I am quite biased but I just cannot see how Umass can be rated a better team than us. My hope is that our freshmen get a lot of playing time in the OOC schedule and are ready to roll in the conference games. Can't wait to see these guys in action.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote:FWIW, ESPN’s BPI does not have us in their Top 100.
Eff espn
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

R.Kelly150 wrote:So based upon the multi predictions presented in the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7568 thread UMass is ranked ahead of URI in more than one national prediction....does that mean we will not be included in the top 144? I think we will and we'll be coming up real soon 70-80.
And eff UMass
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RF1 wrote:

My A-10 top four would be Davidson, St. Joe's, GMU, and St Louis and this seems to mirror most predictions. If they are in this list, that leaves one open spot likely for either URI, SBU, or Dayton.
I am surprised people aren't higher on URI here.

I am. I say top 3, and not surprised if it is a 1 or 2 finish.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lots of question marks SWG. Everyone in the league basically has them as well, but there are definitely a few teams that seem to have less than us.
Our ceiling is 3 in my opinion, higher than that seems unrealistic with all the new faces and roles.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ESPN's BFI metric is biased towards a team's returning production, player experience, and coaching experience, so it comes as no surprise that URI would rank lower based on those criteria.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely think top 4 anything lower than 6th would be a disappointment
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t care where we start (since we are a young team) only where we finish.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:

Old Dominion was just listed at #80. No URI in the 80-100 range. Will it be in the 60-80 range?
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Hard to believe they would be out of the top 144. Still I don't think most college BB pundits, other than the posters on this board, have this young team who just lost 4 of their top 5 scorers as a border line (60-80 range) tourney team. There are lots of "what ifs" for this coming season, more than I would like, but I do understand that this program still has to rebuild not just reload....granted the rebuild shouldn't take long as long as their level of recruit stays similar to what they have been getting, and coach Cox and his staff have my confidence. If they aren't included no big deal, its just another pre-season poll and it will serve as good bulletin board material for this young Rhody team. As Rhody 83 said, who cares where they start its all about where they finish.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Who then are the top 5 in the A-10 to be named? I myself was a bit surprised to see Umass rated so high at #88 and 6th in the A-10. Had not expected that.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Eh they return arguably 2/5 starters and freshman 6th man phenom. That is a lot in the A10. Always has been and always will. A lot, not the most. But a lot.

And Umass won 13 games last year. Anybody remember being a perennial 20 win team and people still not respecting URI because it really wasn't enough? I do. Thats 7 more wins than Umass's 13 wins. And they werent that good.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Who is the 6th man phenom? If he is a phenom I would think he would be starting.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I remember being a 20 win team under ****** with an RPI of about 100. Not dancing with that. Not about # of wins. It's the quality of wins.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we make 60-80 highly doubt we are not in top 144
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

We shouldn't be any lower than the 60's.